So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
GTRPower

Don't buy a car that has been improperly imported. They are still subject to seizure (US Customs, and by extension ICE therefor DHS) no matter what the DOT and EPA laws are. It's not like pot- you don't have to register pot to use it- but if you want to drive an improperly imported car on the road you still have to have a plate- and the plate will create a paper trail that will only put your car under a magnifying glass sooner or later.

I have no idea how many legal R32 vs R33 vs R34 GT-Rs there are in the USA. Tyndago would know the numbers since he pretty much submitted all the paperwork for all the MotoRex cars back in the day. When he left, MotoRex imploded soon after (before anyone really knew, and a few years later it went public) so not that many cars were done afterwards.

There are potentially (but realistically not that many) 500 NISMO BNR32 GT-Rs. 20+ years have gone by, I am sure many have been retired (junked) and/or not for sale or not really in sellable condition. There probably are realistically about 200-300 units in Japan that you would actually consider, IF they ever came up for sale. These cars are relatively rare even in Japan.

shadyduk1979
Car: 79 elky, e21 turbo BMW

GTRPower wrote:Don't buy a car that has been improperly imported. They are still subject to seizure (US Customs, and by extension ICE therefor DHS) no matter what the DOT and EPA laws are.
This is great information right here. I would have assumed that i could possibly get away with holding onto the car for a few years until its 25th birthday and been good to go. I spoke with a few of my friends that have gray market cars and they had no issues but their cars are all models that are available here, just the euro versions that may have been federalized, My BMW was. (Land rovers, Mercedes, BMWs and Porsches) But lets face facts here the Skyline is a eye catching car, it WILL attract attention. I am sure as time goes on it will be less and less likely that it will happen but a risk is a risk is a risk.

I think i might take a look at this car too. It just so happens that i will be in the area this week. The guy says its legal but from his pictures (no tags) i don't think it is. If he shows me documentation proving it then i will PM you guys with copies so i don't get screwed. I know enough to be dangerous.. to myself :crazy: .

I would love to see a rough guess on how many legal skylines out there by generation just for fun though

GTRPower

Ask to do a visual check on car- engraved tag on A pillar or dash for Substitute VIN information. A pillar if it's a MotoRex car. Confirm the match with the chassis number etched on the firewall in between the hard brake lines.

Ask for NHTSA bond release letter with VIN specifically stated. Every one I have seen usually has Coleman Sachs' signature.

Ask to look under the hood for EPA compliance sticker (underside of hood).

If any of these things are missing, don't bother buying, thank the guy, and forget his info.

knightbird111

I live in New York City USA.

How do I purchase a Nissan Skyline R32 ? What are the steps?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Read the thread.

DarkHorizon

Hello everyone. I have read a great deal of this and I have had a question I didn't see an answer to arise. I currently live in Japan, stationed here in the military, and am currently looking for an R33 GTR, I plan to get one that is a 96-98. Now my question is they are currently the only ones that can legally be imported into the United States but due to EPA regulations for the OBDII it impossible to make them legal. Since the EPA part of the equation is only valid until the vehicle is 21 years old, meaning if I got a 96, in 2017 it would no longer fall under EPA regulations, would I be able to legally import it at that point? Since that's when I plan to leave Japan anyway this would work out perfect for me.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Where in Japan are you located?

There are several guys in the Yokosuka, Atsugi, Zama area on the mainland with GT-R's.
I'm not in the military, but used to be and still live in Japan.

As for your question, I've asked Sean Morris once by e-mail and he answered the question, but I can't for the life of me remember what he told me. I've also deleted the e-mail...fail.

DarkHorizon

I am in Sasebo at the moment. I am trying to hopefully get stationed up in Atsugi or maybe Yokosuka for my next command though,

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Whoa...you're way down south! Bummer.

Well, if you ever get up this way, let us (me) know.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Screw that, come down to the dirty south!

DarkHorizon

Yeah I am a ways down here, I kinda like my small little corner of Japan though. I dont however like the selection of R33's that are available down here lol. Its kinda looking like I'm going to have to make a trip to at least Osaka to get what it is I want.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Like ghetto booty Skylines, eh?

RB26COUPE
Car: Nissan GTR

Have read through this thread and is it possible to buy an 1989 R32 GTR after August of 2014 through Canada. One that has already been imported under their 15 year rule? Instead of going through importing fr overseas.

MetalGearKyle

as far as i know, doesn't matter what country it comes from to be imported, meaning just because its a japanese car it doesn't have to be frrm japan

nijuT
Car: 2012 Volt

RB26COUPE wrote:Have read through this thread and is it possible to buy an 1989 R32 GTR after August of 2014 through Canada. One that has already been imported under their 15 year rule? Instead of going through importing fr overseas.
The customs forms that you need to fill out are online. There is nothing in there that even remotely suggests that the country of manufacture needs to match the country you're importing from. If the car is 25 years or older (to the month), it is exempt from the normal requirements. Now from my research, the EPA forms suggest that a car that is being brought in as exempt must be in the original configuration. Presumably this means the original engine that came in the car and any factory emissions equipment. How stringent will the border agents be? I don't know, but I'm personally trying to find a car as close to the OEM configuration as possible to avoid any hassle. The last thing I want is for my car to be held up at the border because it has an aftermarket exhaust.

edit: From the EPA's guidelines:

There are three types of exemptions for non-U.S. version vehicles by an individual.
Below is a description of each type of exemption along with the requirements you will need
when importing your vehicle and the restrictions that will apply to your vehicle.
(a) Exemption for Non-U.S. Version Vehicles 21 Years Old or Older
The vehicle is 21 OP years old or older and in original unmodified configuration.
Requirements:
● Importer must file with Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1 declaring code "E."
● Customs may require proof of vehicle age.
● "OP Years" are determined by subtracting the year a vehicle was manufactured from the
year it was imported.
Restrictions:
The vehicle must be in its original unmodified configuration.
● Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption
unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines and emission control
systems.

2.3.1 Exclusions Based on Age
As discussed in Section 2.1.3.2(a), vehicles are exempted if they are 21 OP years old or
older and in original unmodified condition.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

RB26COUPE wrote:Have read through this thread and is it possible to buy an 1989 R32 GTR after August of 2014 through Canada. One that has already been imported under their 15 year rule? Instead of going through importing fr overseas.
Might save you some transport expense, but I can also imagine the tradeoff might be that good ol' Stage Twelve weight reduction: Rust.

kellerk23
Car: Dream Car 2000 R34

Amen to that! Well, I found out that the R32 I was looking at can not come to the US. It has to be in the original state the car was in when he bought it. :( so off to more looking! Or is their way around that?

soccersocker

Hmm... I've read a few pages from this thread, but admittedly not all of them. Question.

Say in the near (or far) future, you import a Skyline using the "25yr rule", that doesn't necessarily obligate you to then insure it as a classic car, or does it? From what I understand, the majority of companies that will insure a classic vehicle will not allow you to use it as a daily driver. What is the solution? Can you simply insure it as a regular car?

Also, most of the importation laws and guidelines seem very California centric. I live in NJ, however I believe the pickup port would be in NYC. What are the laws for those 2 states as far as the CARB/Direct Import laws that might hamstring potential owners in California vs NY/NJ. I certainly imagine myself purchasing a Skyline post 2014, and these forums are in abundance of information. So much so that I apologize if these exact questions have been addressed previously.

Cheers to anybody who gives some sort of answer.

AZhitman
Administrator

soccersocker wrote:Say in the near (or far) future, you import a Skyline using the "25yr rule", that doesn't necessarily obligate you to then insure it as a classic car, or does it?
No. As long as you comply with the insurance laws of your state, the importation is already completed. The Feds have no say in that matter.
soccersocker wrote:From what I understand, the majority of companies that will insure a classic vehicle will not allow you to use it as a daily driver.
Some do, most don't. I don't have mileage restrictions on any of my classics (insured with Hagerty), but they certainly want you to have other, more "DD-friendly" vehicles. You attest, upon application for coverage, that you will maintain a regular-use car and that the classic is for pleasure / shows / events, etc.
soccersocker wrote:What is the solution? Can you simply insure it as a regular car?
Of course. 25 isn't a magic number. Many older vehicles have regular policies.
soccersocker wrote:Also, most of the importation laws and guidelines seem very California centric. I live in NJ, however I believe the pickup port would be in NYC. What are the laws for those 2 states as far as the CARB/Direct Import laws that might hamstring potential owners in California vs NY/NJ.
Baltimore would be more likely for an import from Japan. The state laws aren't the issue here, it's Federal law that's prohibiting importation, and since Federal law applies in all 50 states, once the 25-year exemption period passes, you're good to go, and just have to comply with the existing Federal laws on importation of a vehicle.

Two years ago, I imported a 1963 Datsun from Australia. Fairly simple process (aside from the waiting - and the expense). The process for a Skyline will be no different.

soccersocker

AZhitman wrote: Baltimore would be more likely for an import from Japan. The state laws aren't the issue here, it's Federal law that's prohibiting importation, and since Federal law applies in all 50 states, once the 25-year exemption period passes, you're good to go, and just have to comply with the existing Federal laws on importation of a vehicle.

Two years ago, I imported a 1963 Datsun from Australia. Fairly simple process (aside from the waiting - and the expense). The process for a Skyline will be no different.
Thank you for the great imformation AZ. Just a few more questions if I may.

1. Any particular reason one would prefer Baltimore over NY?

2. This quote is taken from a MotoIQ blog post: "Skyline will be federally legal to import once it’s 25 years old in 2014, but no because vehicles 1975 or newer are subject to direct import laws in California.

Now back to the downside and the difficulty of California. Along with the NHTSA and EPA, California is regulated by the California Air Resources Board known fondly to many as CARB. Direct Import (or Gray Market) vehicles are vehicles that were manufactured outside the United States for which the original manufacturer did not obtain California or Federal certification. The EPA normally covers direct import vehicles under the ICI (Independent Commercial Importer) program, but if a vehicle is going to be registered in California it needs to meet the California Direct Import requirements."

Is California the only state to suffer these sort of laws? I understand Federal Laws will 9 times out of 10 trump a state law, but it's still a bit confuddling for somebody who has never imported a car before.
AZhitman wrote: Two years ago, I imported a 1963 Datsun from Australia. Fairly simple process (aside from the waiting - and the expense). The process for a Skyline will be no different.
I looked at a couple of Australian websites for used cars, and the Skylines are nearly double in price when compared to the prices I've seen in Japan. That's normal aye?

I said in a post elsewhere that I'm most likely to hold out for an R33, and by then I assume there will be (hopfefully) success stories with importing the R32's to model the process from. Call me a leecher I suppose ;)

Thanks again Az

Tofubadguy
Car: 94' R32 GTR, Track Car
90' Silvia, w/ RB25, Track Car
90' 240 AWD LHD Coupe, RB26, in the works
99' 4x4 7.3 SuperDuty
04' 6.0L Excursion

GTRPower wrote:.... It's not like pot- you don't have to register pot to use it- but if you want to drive an improperly imported car on the road you still have to have a plate- and the plate will create a paper trail that will only put your car under a magnifying glass sooner or later.
Can't stress this enough. Keep it off the books and keep it on the track. Those who have the 'registered in Florida' cars are on the books somewhere and are giving a great paper trail to follow. If you have one, wait it out and then when they are finally legal-able, then play the game and figure out what you've got to do. Send it out, then back in, etc...

Until then don't get depressed looking at it in the garage! Join a club racing group and actually learn to drive it to the edge! :)

AZhitman
Administrator

soccersocker wrote: 1. Any particular reason one would prefer Baltimore over NY?

2. Is California the only state to suffer these sort of laws? I understand Federal Laws will 9 times out of 10 trump a state law, but it's still a bit confuddling for somebody who has never imported a car before.

Skylines are nearly double in price when compared to the prices I've seen in Japan. That's normal aye?
1. It's not a matter of preference - almost all OEM's from Japan come in through Baltimore (at least on the east coast).

2. Probably. I would never live in that wack-job state, so I don't take the time to learn their wack-job laws. It's a joke, considering the prevalence of fraud at their non-regulated testing stations.

3. Australia is ridiculously expensive for everything. Remember, the cars had to come from Japan to AU at some point, and someone along the line paid for that as well.

I've said it umpteen times in this thread alone: Take all that Skyline-coveting energy and channel it into building something cooler, faster, and more rare.

Zymol75
Car: R50 Pathfinder Q swapped

Okay, so there's this... 71-72 GT-R. Expensive, yes. Available, yes. Importable, yes. Will the RB26 fit in it? Is that a hacked up nightmare? I look at it this way. I wouldn't leave it stock. I don't leave anything stock. The current cost to buy and restore a 68 Camaro RS/SS or modify it even a bit is north of 50 grand, So the prospect of spending 35-50 Grand on one of the rarest cars on earth and even more rare in NA, doesn't seem so out of balance. So 2nd question is, where is the best location to search for a potential vehicle to purchase?

AZhitman
Administrator

Hey Z - Great topic. Let's have a new thread for that question, if you don't mind. Since the early Skylines are importable, it's kinda off-topic from this thread.

Quick answer: An RB-series isn't a challenge in a Hakosuka... finding a clean car to begin with is the tough part. :)

Zymol75
Car: R50 Pathfinder Q swapped

Awesome, thanks! Yeah it seemed like no one had addressed this branch of the subject... I guess as it isn't really the issue in this thread. I'll throw it out to the new threads lane. See you there!

DwillcauseUcant
Car: 1990 Nissan Skyline GTR-R32

I live in Japan and own a Jan1990 GT-R. I have much experience with these cars

cheers

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Your post is borderline commercial. I've removed some of what you posted, but will be saving it run by the admin.

If you're not a paying advertiser/vendor, you're not allowed to advertise your services without first receiving permission to do so.

If you haven't done so yet, please get in contact with AZHitman.
If you have, I apologize and will re-instate your post.

tittitbangbang
Car: 06 nissan 350z

man i was lucky enought to find this post before i trade some guy my z fo his r32 91 skyline in canada... i guess not now... but to my understanding is that 96-98 gtr's and gts-t are ok to import right ? .. now what about if some guys in wisconsin want to trade me his US TITLE R32 for my 350z what is it going on..

AZhitman
Administrator

tittitbangbang wrote:man i was lucky enought to find this post before i trade some guy my z fo his r32 91 skyline in canada...
That's why we're here. :) Welcome aboard.
tittitbangbang wrote: to my understanding is that 96-98 gtr's and gts-t are ok to import right ?
Nope. Nothing has changed. Again, they need to come through a RI and be Federalized, which to my knowledge, no one is doing (at least not affordably).
tittitbangbang wrote:now what about if some guys in wisconsin want to trade me his US TITLE R32 for my 350z what is it going on..
Still need to see bond release paperwork and a US VIN. If it's state-titled, it's still not legit, and he just wants to bail on it before he gets it confiscated.

No one is going to trade a Fed-legit R32 for a 350Z unless they're drunk, have a head injury, or there's $15k tucked in the Z glove box. :dblthumb:

SmallCity765

So what can you do with one of the Government auctioned cars? The titles are stamped Export Only. Can you turn these into racecars? Could you sit on them until the r33 can be grandfathered in in 2020? Could You part the car out? I have read that if they don't sell the cars get crushed if they aren't sold because they're just racking up charges on the governments tab. It's a d*mned if you do d*mned if you don't situation. I've watched three of them sell now, knowing about the legal entanglement surrounding them and keep wondering if there's anything you can actually do to keep the car in the US. Thanks again, this forum is great.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”