So it begins--06 M45 with Paddle Shifters

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
DeanM45
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport 1 or 2 mods

One other thing--the "shrunken down" circuit now resides in a box in the bottom of the center armrest. I am going to make a false floor to sit on top of it, I lost 3/4 of an inch with the box in place--not too bad.

mr_luv

Holy Smokes I so want to do this!!! Damn if only you were willing to reproduce, if you ever sell the car or get rid of the set DIBS!!!!

DeanM45

mr_luv wrote:Holy Smokes I so want to do this!!! Damn if only you were willing to reproduce, if you ever sell the car or get rid of the set DIBS!!!!
Can you put the paddles in yourself?
If so, I could build another relay box with a wiring diagram on how to hook up. All connections are under the shifter console and I have had zero problems.
I revised the circuit slightly so that manual/auto is easy to switch: hold down the upshift paddle and then pull the downshift paddle. It then toggles between auto and manual when the gear selector is in D. Move the shifter over to the manual gate and the trans stays in manual regardless of what you do with the paddles (no way to switch to auto unless you move the shifter back to D). It is all real time so you can switch back and forth while driving.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

Im sure if you are willing to build more and give wiring diagrams and instructions then there would be plenty of people on here willing to buy them.

Also I didnt see it mentioned in the first post, but where did you buy the paddle shifters?

mr_luv

As long as I can see the diagram or example and know whats best to mount it I can do it, In-fact I have already sourced the paddles and ready to get this started ASAP.
DeanM45 wrote:
mr_luv wrote:Holy Smokes I so want to do this!!! Damn if only you were willing to reproduce, if you ever sell the car or get rid of the set DIBS!!!!
Can you put the paddles in yourself?
If so, I could build another relay box with a wiring diagram on how to hook up. All connections are under the shifter console and I have had zero problems.
I revised the circuit slightly so that manual/auto is easy to switch: hold down the upshift paddle and then pull the downshift paddle. It then toggles between auto and manual when the gear selector is in D. Move the shifter over to the manual gate and the trans stays in manual regardless of what you do with the paddles (no way to switch to auto unless you move the shifter back to D). It is all real time so you can switch back and forth while driving.

SiMpLyMoDiFiEd
Car: 2006 M45s, GSXR 1000

Do you got oem part numbers that you need

mr_luv

Any updates on this?

DeanM45

Just been doing some revisions for fail safes so that is something breaks in the circuit the car will still be able to drive (turn the car off and everything defaults back to stock). I am attempting to source, with no luck yet, the factory connectors so that it will truly by plug and play. Looking for a cheap steering column and steering wheel so that I can set up a jig to install the paddles as well.

mr_luv

You sir are the man!!! If any assistance is needed anything I can do feel free to shoot me a PM I want this that bad!!! :woot: :woot: :woot: :mike :mike :mike
DeanM45 wrote:Just been doing some revisions for fail safes so that is something breaks in the circuit the car will still be able to drive (turn the car off and everything defaults back to stock). I am attempting to source, with no luck yet, the factory connectors so that it will truly by plug and play. Looking for a cheap steering column and steering wheel so that I can set up a jig to install the paddles as well.

mr_luv

TTT hows this project coming along?

roiayiti
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35

The shifter looks great, especially at night. However, I would like to install it for looks only. Any ideas?

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

roiayiti wrote:The shifter looks great, especially at night. However, I would like to install it for looks only. Any ideas?
I've seen some replica paddles on Ebay - never tried them. They would look real enough, but they are attached with 3M tape to the rear of the sterring crossbar and I doubt that 3M tape can stick well on that textured surface. I reckon you could screw them on and hope that the screw doesn't 'hit' anything vital on the inside of the area where you're working. If I remember, they were about $50-100 US.

May I just say:
I HATE FLOPPY PADDLES ! STUPID STUPID STUPID ! (TopGear fans will know why I said that, LOL)

I believe proper gear shifting requires one to use his or her arm to move the stick - thereby enjoying the full potential of the gearbox and appreciate the rush of making the car do what YOU want!
Last edited by Larz on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

wideopn11
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x Moonlight White

Takeda CAI
Stillen exhaust w/ MeganRacing Y-pipe
SCALE coilovers 16K/10K F/R
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Love top gear!

ssdajoker
Car: M35x Journey

Dean M45, how do I do this to my M35?

ssdajoker

Any hope for a tutorial soon?

ctsedan
Car: 2006 M45 blk on blk. 1995 s14 Sr20DET.

If anyone wants the parts for this mod I have all you need. Pm me for more info
Looking for quick sale

ssdajoker

hey ctsedan do you have a kit like Dean45 with the Illuminated paddles that go from white to red?

mr_luv

How about a group buy or a core exchange?

ctsedan
Car: 2006 M45 blk on blk. 1995 s14 Sr20DET.

I have just OEM Infiniti G35 or G37 paddles I forget, they dont light up I dont think. I also have the epoxy, relays to do this mod. I AM NOT selling finish product just the parts to do this. I never ended up doing this and I had the parts left.
Thanx

mr_luv

Bringing this back alive!

zags
Car: '09 M35s "all black everything"

would love to see this on a Y50 M...these paddles plus the G steering wheel, would be tits.

DeanM45

Two years later the paddles are still working fine in my 06.

EniGmA1987

DeanM45 wrote:Two years later the paddles are still working fine in my 06.

You should help the rest of us out by putting together the relay box with all your newer improvements and such and some instructions so we can do this mod as well :biggrin:
Or even just some instructions with some crude pictures of the connection points for the different parts would be enough to get me going on doing this. lol. If I could follow the crude drawings of Ohmster's Nav Hack then I could probably do the same here :)

DeanM45

Thought I did that, 3 SPST relays and a flip flop circuit. For Drive, the trans ECU gets a ground signal from one of two points "Drive" selected or Manual selected. When in Manual mode, the ground is on one of three points: up shift, down shift or neutral (neither up shift or downshift). The way I did the circuit is that the paddles each pass a ground signal when switched on. Those grounds each go to relays that also pass a ground signal. When both paddles are pulled (so that both are giving a ground signal) the flip flop engages to flip over to the "other" mode (drive to manual or manual to drive). That way when you put the shifter in Drive you can use the paddles to switch from manual to automatic. OR you can use the stock shifter just as you normally would. When in manual mode the computer then waits for a signal from either paddle or from the shifter. Difficult to explain but really, super, super easy if you thin about it.

EniGmA1987

yes I understand what you mean with all that. These relays should work well right? http://www.mouser.ph/ProductDetail/Pana ... vYiXPPg%3d
They have a range well within anything the car would have running through it, it is meant for automotive, is pretty small, and have well more than enough amperage rating. little more expensive than I was looking for initially but still not too bad, and it looks like it will last a long time.

So I should just look up the schematics of the TCU to find out the pin that gets a ground signal for the drive/manual selector, and then the other 3 pins that get a ground signal for which way to shift (or not shift) and the rest should be fairly straightforward once I find where everything is mounted right?

DeanM45

All of the connection are within the shifter housing. I just used a test light to figure out which wire is what and yes, those relays are more than overkill for this. The relays see maybe 200mA of current.

mr_luv

Ok I have actually turned on alerts for this mod, I have a a donor column in hand @Dean can you PM or email me every possible thing I may need or need to know about doing this including example photos you have or may not posted anything you learned to make this smoother if you were doing it again unless you are ahummm willing to do it again haha.

crweaver
Car: 2007 M45

Dean, would you happen to have a link or write up on how to wire up the relay? Thanks

FlawleZ
Car: 1992 Nissan 300ZX TT
1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo
2017 Nissan Titan SV 4x4

Very impressed Dean! Keep us updated and I will definitely be interested in a relay kit if you were to put it together.

Did you ever finish the headers?

rex9271
Car: 2012 FX35

mr_luv wrote:Ok I have actually turned on alerts for this mod, I have a a donor column in hand @Dean can you PM or email me every possible thing I may need or need to know about doing this including example photos you have or may not posted anything you learned to make this smoother if you were doing it again unless you are ahummm willing to do it again haha.
Hello!
I am the maker of paddle shifter's brackets for M37/M56/Q70!
I received your PM! ( I can't send any PM to anyone! )
I am so sorry, I can't help you at all!
Thank you!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”