So...How Reliable Has you EX35/37 Been? Debatting what to do

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

I wouldn't say that my EX was unreliable, but I've definitely had better luck with my Hondas. Since I last posted on this thread, a number of issues started to pop up here and there.

1. Steering rack leak at 94K. My wife and I decided to get it replaced at the tune of around $2,100.

2. Throttle body at 94K. It just so happened to go bad when the car was getting the steering rack replaced at the dealership. Lucky for us, they decided to cover the repair on their dime. My estimate was about $900 for that fix.

3. Radiator at 115K. This wasn't too surprising, as others here have reported early failures with this part. I wouldn't call this an early failure though. I think my cost to fix was around $700-$750 at an independent shop. The dealership wanted $500 more (using the OEM radiator).

4. Wheel bearing at 132K. This is another part that's been reported to fail early on these cars. Again, I wouldn't call mine an early failure. I don't recall exactly how much this fix was, but I believe I paid $380 or so to the independent mechanic.

5. Water pump, and rough engine operation at 144K. This is where we decided to cut our ties with the car. The looming water pump replacement was creeping up towards $1,400. But my wife was more spooked by the rough running of the engine and did not feel it was safe for the family to ride in the car. So I "sacrificed" myself :ohno: :whip to take the EX on it's final drive to the dealership to trade it in.

I'm not the type to purchase extended warranties for my cars; but in hindsight (of course) it definitely would have paid off to get something that covered this car to at least 100K. Even though we liked the car and how we were treated by Infiniti, it's unlikely that we'd get another. The lower reliability compared to our past cars, combined with our lack of interest in Infiniti's current lineup will keep us away for a while.

schaffs04
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD Premium. Blue Slate/Wheat

I've got a 2008 on which I'm the second owner. Bought it with just under 80k miles, now have 115k. Only unscheduled maintenance has been a front wheel bearing at 110k and replacement of the steering rack by the dealer when I purchased it, not much at all in 35k miles. Keep up with scheduled maintenance and you should have 0 issues going to double your current mileage. I plan to look for a replacement when I hit 175k.

The drivetrain in these cars has been in production for years. The current 3.7 was the 3.5 which debuted in 2000 as an update to the 3.0 start started in 1992 in the Maxima. Lookup the Wikipedia on it. One of the best there is.

Vroom!
Car: 2008 AWD EX35 Journey

I've owned a 2008 EX35 for only about nine months now. I LOVE it, but have had to do several repairs. I do drive it a lot (who wouldn't?), but beyond routine stuff like shocks, I have had to repair/replace the O2 sensor, a rotor, brake level sensor, and needs new side mirror motors and a spring in a door in the dash.

Recently I was driving a backroad (kinda fast :gotme) and the radiator blew up. The car is currently at 102K. It had been leaking, but coolant level always checked out okay and mechanic said not to worry about it. They had to remove whole front end, drain AC, etc. Cost me $801, but that seems pretty reasonable for the work done.

Have carfax service records from birth, which show pretty much only regular maintenance. Would love to keep this car. Overall seems to have been reliable from the get go. Unfortunately, I've recently become seriously poor (oh well), so have to sell it and get a beater. Probably will be bald in a couple of months from tearing my hair out at mind-numbingly slow starts. :sad:

piSSko
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35 AWD

I can say never again Infiniti. So many "small" problems which would cost me tons of money if I was doing through mechanic.

nate2011
Car: 2011 Garnet Red EX35 AWD Journey

I've owned my 2011 EX35 since June of 2015.
Purchased with 75,000 miles. In 4.5 years we've added 45,000 miles. The car currently has 120,000 miles and still rides like new. Perhaps its just now broken in. This is one of the nicer & more reliable cars I have owned in over 4 decades of car ownership.
Car was purchased as my bad weather car for those days I couldn't drive my Miata. In the last couple of year it has become my wife's daily driver.
I have done regular oil/filter changes at 4,000-5,000 mile intervals.
At 82,000 I replaced passenger side wheel hub due to a rotational thump - Infiniti dealer was able to do this service under warranty
At 90,000 I replaced brake pads all around & had rotors machined
At 105,000 I put on a new set of Continental All Season Tires
At 110,000 I had lower radiator hose replaced
At 110,000 I also had transfer case seal replaced

I consider this vehicle extremely reliable. Comfortable. Wonderful performance.
We've decided to keep it for at least another year to get our value out of the service done to it. With no payments the EX35 is all the more a pleasure to own.

YMMV.

nate2011

Hahaha. SO why did you ask?

At 123,000 the thermostat stuck. Causing the radiator to split and car to go into limp mode(?)...

All this fun happened at 530am XMas morning as my wife & son were on their way to share gifts with family in Boston. I stayed home with our aging Boston Terrier.

Got the car towed off the NYS Thruway. ($275)
Had the car towed to Fette Infiniti ($305)

Replace thermostat & radiator with stealership $1600. Stealership is giving me a $500 good will credit toward the bill.

What is frustrating to me is that I do a lot of my own work on my Miatas. But I've given the infiniti to the dealer for just about everything over the last 4.5 years. Thus the good will credit of $500. But the car was in 5 weeks earlier for a lower radiator hose. If it were me working on the car I would have automatically put in a new thermostat with the hose replacement. But... I didn't ask for it and they certainly didn't offer it to me. So the sticky thermostat & split rad is my responsibility.

Lesson to be learned? I'm not sure yet. I like having the serviced by the dealer. I know it's over kill on a used car at this point. Definitely ask for a new thermostat on any future rad or hose service.

What else?

Vroom!

I don't know that work done by dealerships is all that reliable, not to mention impersonal /unaccommodating, as you point out. I've had better luck (and lower bills) with independent mechanics.

sev
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35

The splitting radiator is a pretty common issue and happens to almost all these cars, if not all between 80-100k miles. Hopefully, you'll continue to have reliable service here on out.

nate2011

Vroom! wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:50 pm
I don't know that work done by dealerships is all that reliable, not to mention impersonal /unaccommodating, as you point out. I've had better luck (and lower bills) with independent mechanics.
My dealership Fette Infiniti in Clifton NJ has been excellent. I'm only throwing frustration in their direction not blame. The thermostat sticking is not their fault. Not replacing it earlier is my responsibility.

Their service has been exemplary. For Oil Changes with filters ...$40 and all the cappuccino I can drink in an hour with a bagel or two. When I've had other service like brakes done there I have definitely paid a premium price. With that I get treated with respect in a very clean environment and am given a brand new loaner car for as long as needed (or wanted)... I like all this. It's not necessary for my 2001 Subaru teen/beater car, but for the EX35 its nice service if slightly more than needed. They did give me a $500 credit towards this job. Also, on consideration, I do trust the dealership with these cars over a corner mechanic. For my Miatas I do all the service work and anything significant goes onto a friends lift.

YMMV.

NJGuy

I thought that my dealership experience was very good as well. When I looked to get my steering rack replaced, the price difference between the dealership and independent mechanic was minimal. The dealer also offered us a loaner for the days our car would be in the shop, so it was a no brainer for us to have our EX repaired there. While it was there, one of the throttle bodies went bad; but they covered the cost of replacing it.

For some reason though, the Infiniti OEM replacement radiators are crazy expensive. When I had the radiator replaced, I think I saved about $500 by going to my independent mechanic. The majority of the price difference was due to the part cost.

m shark
Car: '17 QX50
'04 BMW E46 M3
'17 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
‘20 KIA Telluride SX AWD

Our previous EX-35 2012 we sold in 2017. Problems were so many. Cracked radiator making the car drive in limp-mode at 66,000miles!, leather parts of the interior were melting, the front mirror fell off after the glue holding it in place melted. We had it traded in for a 2017 QX-50 for my wife and so far it is holding up.

To me, Infinity is a cheap crappy trying to pass as a luxury brand car company. The only thing I like about the 2017 QX-50 is the 325hp which is probably the last of the higher HP small SUV's left.

I would never buy another Infinity after this one. My wife upgraded to a Kia Telluride so now I'm taking the QX-50 as my daily driver. I love how it drives but longevity is questionable.

Vroom!

"... leather parts of the interior were melting, the front mirror fell off after the glue holding it in place melted... " Where do you live, Hades?

Can't say I've experienced any of those issues, except the radiator at around 102K. I had to sell mine a month ago, and I still cry myself to sleep. :cry: To me there is just something so unique and graceful about the styling...

Vroom!

And I just have to say, I'm sorry, but I will never consider a Kia of any kind an upgrade over an Infiniti... of any age or kind. But that's just me.

NJGuy

Vroom! wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:28 pm
Can't say I've experienced any of those issues, except the radiator at around 102K. I had to sell mine a month ago, and I still cry myself to sleep. :cry: To me there is just something so unique and graceful about the styling...
Sorry to hear that you had to let it go. Sure, the car may not have been the most reliable for everyone, but it somehow made up for it in regards to character and just plain fun. I hope you're able to get a replacement that'll keep you happy.

NJGuy

Vroom! wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:32 pm
And I just have to say, I'm sorry, but I will never consider a Kia of any kind an upgrade over an Infiniti... of any age or kind. But that's just me.
Infiniti has let quite a few of their lines remain stagnant in regards to remodels, updates, and upgrades.

One can argue that a Kia Stinger could be a better grand touring car over a Q50. I'd be interested to see the results of a survey among auto enthusiasts asking which of the two they'd prefer. And even though I'm not really a fan of SUVs, I would think that the Telluride has more appeal than a QX60 for the average midsize SUV shopper. Sure, it might have had a few updates; but the Infiniti is still essentially a JX35 from 2013!

I haven't checked, but my guess is that depreciation among those comparable models would be pretty close between the two brands. Anyone want to check? But I would also guess that the dealership experience overall would likely favor Infiniti.

Vroom!

[/quote]
Sorry to hear that you had to let it go. Sure, the car may not have been the most reliable for everyone, but it somehow made up for it in regards to character and just plain fun. I hope you're able to get a replacement that'll keep you happy.
[/quote]

Yeah, the only reason I sold it is because I can't hardly afford any car right now. If I can ever afford one again you can bet I'll get another EX! :chuckle:

m shark
'04 BMW E46 M3
‘20 KIA Telluride SX AWD

Vroom! wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:32 pm
You need to watch YouTube videos regarding the Telluride, Kia Forte GT, Stinger, etc. These cars are blowing everything out of the water. Every YouTuber who reviews cars, (Doug Demuro, Redline Reviews, and a dozen others, etc) will point in that same direction. Infinity was great until up to the late 2000s in my opinion.

Regarding the Telluride we bought, this thing makes my 2017 QX50 look like a cheap Toyota, interior, quality of materials, advance tech, screen quality, ease of use, etc.. this thing was well thought out.

Vroom!

Fair enough.

m shark
'04 BMW E46 M3
‘20 KIA Telluride SX AWD

Here's one of the many videos that give you an idea where the Kia and Hyundai brand is headed. While Lexus and Infinity are slowly bleeding out, the Koreans (with a little help from former BMW and Audi people working for Hyundai/Kia now) are headed for greater things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ajb8OdfduQ

m shark
'04 BMW E46 M3
‘20 KIA Telluride SX AWD

And here's where Infinity is headed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVD-HCGFHOA

gkdyeung
Car: 2010 EX35 AWD with Tech
Black on Black

300,000km later... fuel gauge failed ("sticky" was how they put it)... always running on a half to full tank... even when i ran out of gas on the highway... haha... have to rely on trip counter to ensure i fill up every ~400km... looking to reset to a '17 "ex37"... #sayNOtoCVT.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”