Skylines under $25,000 Legalize

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
Woodmister

THankZ!

93RPS13
Car: Cars, Girls, Cars, Food

Or you can use http://www.xe.com money conversion web site

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

93RPS13 wrote:Or you can use http://www.xe.com money conversion web site

That's actually were I copied the conversion from ;)

KoukiS14
Car: 2005 G35x - Lakeshore Slate / Stone

Hey James Bond, it's not a secret. . motorex makes a profit, because you pay for the convenience... also, you probably get to enjoy a warranty.

KoukiS14
Car: 2005 G35x - Lakeshore Slate / Stone

Not pickin' on ya, btw. . :)thanks for the thread. . I'm just frustrated as all **** right now. . gawd damn homework.

surferbrat72
Car: i like to surf and golf and am growing a liking to paintball

$900 is all for importation? even $1500 isnt bad i figured it would be more like $7000 or more but dang

frozen_chris
Car: local music, cars, movies, computers/graphics/web

so where on the DOT website is the list of RI's? I took a look for a few minutes and couldn't find it. This is frick'n awesome, I've been dreamin of skylines for quite some time and researching importing....

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

frozen_chris wrote:so where on the DOT website is the list of RI's? I took a look for a few minutes and couldn't find it. This is frick'n awesome, I've been dreamin of skylines for quite some time and researching importing....

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/....html

frozen_chris
Car: local music, cars, movies, computers/graphics/web

So I've been hearing three different stories about having to put down bonds with the US Customs Office and the EPA. Story 1: there are no bonds[source: this thread, or at least they're not mentioned in this thread], you just have to make the car street legalstory 2: there are bonds(100% of what you payed for Customs, 150% for EPA[source: http://freespace.virgin.net/jo....html) that you must put down, but get back once the car is street legalstory 3: there are bonds(totalling 450%[source:MotoRex]) that you must put down, but get back once the car is street legal.

which of these stories is the correct one? Or does someone think its not any of this, but something else? I've just been rather confused and not sure which source to believe cause they all conflict.

SWIFT_DRIFT

Every nonconforming car (which a skyline is) you must bond for 150% the dutable value of the car to release it from customs to the RI.

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

So what about omegaskylines.com??

SWIFT_DRIFT

They are a scam waiting to happen. If you really want me to I can nitpick every part of their website and show you how they are lieing and full of crap. They claim to have been around for 2 years successfully importing legal skylines. HMMM where is the proof? I have yet to see one legal skyline that has not been through motorex at one point in time. The 5 Skylines I know of in Washington State (that are legal at least) are all from Motorex originally.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

SWIFT_DRIFT wrote:They are a scam waiting to happen. If you really want me to I can nitpick every part of their website and show you how they are lieing and full of crap. They claim to have been around for 2 years successfully importing legal skylines. HMMM where is the proof? I have yet to see one legal skyline that has not been through motorex at one point in time. The 5 Skylines I know of in Washington State (that are legal at least) are all from Motorex originally.

Word, the only LEGAL skylines I know of have been imported through Motorex. I know of a couple illegal ones, but that's besides the point.

And yeah, omegaskylines is B.S. Those guys probably couldn't even tell you what DOT or EPA stands for.

SWIFT_DRIFT

I especially got a kick out of how Omega claims to ship the cars directly from their "dealership" in Japan who also "happens" to be a registered importer. I was like WOOPTY FRIGGEN DO! A registered JAPANESE importer. What in the hell does that do? You can only get a Japanese car from a registered US importer LMAO! Anyways EZ I just read through all the legalization threads in this forum last nite. I read all your post and I was happy to see that you, SmithSR, and me are the only 3 people on Nico who really know what they are talking about when it comes to importing cars. I also noticed you guys (AfterDark) went through the hoops to become an RI? How hard was that and when is your name going to be on the official list?

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

SWIFT_DRIFT wrote:I especially got a kick out of how Omega claims to ship the cars directly from their "dealership" in Japan who also "happens" to be a registered importer. I was like WOOPTY FRIGGEN DO! A registered JAPANESE importer. What in the hell does that do? You can only get a Japanese car from a registered US importer LMAO! Anyways EZ I just read through all the legalization threads in this forum last nite. I read all your post and I was happy to see that you, SmithSR, and me are the only 3 people on Nico who really know what they are talking about when it comes to importing cars. I also noticed you guys (AfterDark) went through the hoops to become an RI? How hard was that and when is your name going to be on the official list?

I'm not associated with Afterdark anymore. And at this moment, Afterdark is *not* an RI.

SWIFT_DRIFT

no kidding what happened?

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

I quit due to money issues.

SmithSR
Car: 240sx

SWIFT, thanks for mentioning me.:bearchug

It is sooo tough, and requires a great deal of self-discipline to keep from tearing up these threads with comments about kids needing to grow up, stop dreaming, why don't you work for the car, why try and cheat by swapping vins, are you really gonna import the car and NEVER drive in on the street?...etc....

I'd love to let the flaming begin, but I realize it does no good. Kids will dream, I'm sure all of us were no different when we were younger. It takes a big commitment to find out all the details, sift through the B.S. posts and false info, to uncover the truth of the matter: that MotoRex ownes the practice of importing and legalizing Skylines. If each one of these guys really wanted to get a Skyline, they'd be staying in school, hitting the books, dressing up the resume' and getting the best paying job that their skills/education level allows. That would set the groundwork for buying a house, building equity, building a solid relationship with their bank/lending institution, maintaining outstanding credit history, so they can easily slip into the driver's seat of a Skyline.

SWIFT_DRIFT

:wavey

Hey I totally agree with you :) If you check some of my recent post history however you will see I still have a little maturing to do :P Thanks for the beer smily! So when are we gonna do that in real life? hehe we live so close :D

K1LLA916K
Car: 2003 nissan sentra gxe

hmm im still waiting for someone to legalize and import jdm integras, 180sx and silvias. hopefully someday since its gonna be a lot easier for me to drive rhd because im lefthanded. oh well. keep the dream alive.

SWIFT_DRIFT

180sx and silvias will never be a legal import until some company has gone through the same processes motorex has to legalize the chassis and engine. the sr20det is, still is, and will always be illegal in the US until the EPA test is and approve it.

the integra is a simple car to get imported and legalized. all you have to do is get the specific manufacturer to vouch that the chassis of the rhd integra is similar/same to the USDM lhd integra chassis. There is nothing illegal about the type R engine since it has the same legal EPA approved engine code the US type r's have as well. I know of at least 3 rhd type r's in WA state that are legal daily drivers. You still have to go through an RI to get one of course, but the process of legalizing a jdm car that has the same engine over here in the US makes the whole importation process SO much easier. I know of a shop in Washington that has a bunch of rhd hondas sitting outside there shop. these cars are not legalized, but they could be very easy. However please don't go telling this to any honda friends. If the honda crowd found out how easy it was to import a jdm honda, I would cry.

SmithSR

SWIFT_DRIFT wrote: Thanks for the beer smily! So when are we gonna do that in real life? hehe we live so close :D

No kidding, man. We need to put together some meets for WA...or maybe just some beer sessions. I see that WA has the second highest number of members who voted in the "where do you live" poll. What the hell? Nobody ever gets together. I drive around and all I see are lots of hondas gathering in parking lots and a few clean Nissans. Most of the kids are waaayy too young to know better, so I'm seeing A LOT of neon under these cars.

Seattle is where it's at. I remember so clearly the days of driving to my girlfriend's house up off of Lake City Way, rollin past SPL, and swerving all over the damn road holding up traffic as I would drool at the Skylines, Supras....and one very sick looking modded Boxster S. Only saw the Porsche once, though.

I'm thinking maybe it would be best to advertise some kind of meet at Pacific Raceways on a day when they're running WMRRA, or a similar event that draws a diverse crowd. Bremerton holds the SCCA club gatherings if I'm not mistaken. It's odd that they hold it in Bremerton and not Pac Raceway...? Anyways, yeah, we should think about gathering the troops and find out who's dedicated to this. A bit off topic, sorry.

-Phil

K1LLA916K

hmm well even if if i told the honda people i knew how easy it was to import jdm integras, they still wouldnt have the money to do it. besides a lot of honda people drive auto so they woul get killed driving a rhd stick and besides that the honda people i know that do drive stick are much happier with their crxs, del sols, hatches ad integras with gsr motors.....oh yeah and this has nothing to do with this forum but the reason more people drive hondas and integras is because it is easier to swap the engines and keep it legal and no its not because they are cheaper because hondas and nissans both compare equally in price. ex-92 240sx se or 92 integra gsr = $4000

K1LLA916K

oh yeah and by the way why cant some idiot from nissan make the motor from the sentra v spec se-r, turn it rearwheel drive, and produce 240sx again with the s15 body? is that too muh to ask for? and speaking of the sr20 in past posts on this forum, if the sr20 is illegal in the US then how come we have them in G20s and sentras? im young...be nice in answer.

SWIFT_DRIFT

First off K1LLA: Sorry when I mention "sr20" I am referring to the SR20DET. That specific engine code is not on the EPA list of legal US engines. However, the SR20DE IS on the list. The latter motor is what we see in G20s and Sentras/200sx.

Next :) Smith I see you are actually in Puyallup? Dude I live in Enumclaw! That's like 20 min north on HW410 :P And as a referral for me please check out http://www.northwestnissans.com That's where it's at local and Nissan wise. We have meets/mini-meets/get togethers pretty damn regularly. Heh I totally agree driving past SPL :drool One of my best friends hanged out there pretty regularly before they closed. He drives a '90 240hb with a 2 year old SR swap and is a hardcore enthusiast. Anyways you should most definitely check out NWN (my SN is ^fraktal^) or hit me up on AIM sometime :) -Mike

SmithSR

Oh no. dood, they closed up shop? It's been, what...maybe about 9 months or so since I've driven up there....

Yet another sign that the apocalypse is upon us.

That place was just as much reason for me to drive up there as the little asian lovely that I dated. Damn.

BTW, I'm usually only lurking around on NWN, I don't even remember if I've posted there besides maybe in the buy/sell, and now that I think about it, I can't say for sure if I did that. Damn. It's been awhile since I've checked things out there. I'll keep my eyes open for you on that board.

-Phil

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”