Side mirror damage - how do I disassemble?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
M37owner
Car: 2011 M37

My passenger side mirror will not stay in the outward position. Apparently whatever spring loaded mechanism inside the mirror housing that allows the mirror to swing inward (if bumped) and then return to the correct outward position, is broken. The "dent" will not keep the mirror in the correct position.

What is the device/part that I need to replace, and how does one access it? I assume the glass needs to come out t get to the innards - how i this done?

Thanks
2011 M37

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

one of our members, Debonair, made a great DIY for installing LED turn signals in the side mirrors which has plenty of tips and pics for disassembling your mirrors:
http://nicoclub.com/archives/diy-instal ... i-q70.html

good luck with the fix, Craig

satown210
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37
2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road

I just bought a M37 and found the mirrors don't fold and the driver mirror pivots back and forth without locking into place. Hoping to find a fix for it.

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

Satown, have you tried using the power button to fold the mirrors all the way in, and then unfold them all the way out again to see if they lock? This happened to me over the weekend and I thought something was broken but it turns out they just weren't fully in their outward position.

satown210

I've got a problem with both mirrors. The passenger side does not fold but it is fixed into position. The driver side does not fold either, but is loose and flops in and out a few inches. I suspect it is the motor in both of them. I can hear them click when you move the switch. I cannot find a replacement motor anywhere. There is a repair service on ebay for $200 a mirror....wonder where he gets his motors from....

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

That's exactly the issue I was having. The driver's side mirror was flopping around and the passenger's side was solid. It was because the mirror switch was not in it's furthest-back position. I think you should look into the mirror switch or some sort of fuse or relay to see if that's the issue because both mirrors folding are on one circuit and it would be unusual to have both mirrors motors fail at the same time. Keep in mind that the mirrors are motor-driven, not spring loaded. If the motor is not fully extended outward the mirror will flop around. Hope this helps.

satown210

reggiebrown40 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:19 am
That's exactly the issue I was having. The driver's side mirror was flopping around and the passenger's side was solid. It was because the mirror switch was not in it's furthest-back position. I think you should look into the mirror switch or some sort of fuse or relay to see if that's the issue because both mirrors folding are on one circuit and it would be unusual to have both mirrors motors fail at the same time. Keep in mind that the mirrors are motor-driven, not spring loaded. If the motor is not fully extended outward the mirror will flop around. Hope this helps.
I think that the electrical is okay. I can hear the motors click when cycling the switch. If I move the driver side mirror around and keep cycling the switch the motor in the mirror starts running. It will run for a few seconds but never "locks into place." I took it to a bosy shop for a quote on some damage on the front bumper. I mentioned it to the body guy and he said he had two infinitis with folding mirrors that broke and he sees them in the shop all the time. He said it is usually a plastic gear the motor turns. It breaks and the mirror gets stuck and won't move at all, or it breaks and now the mirror flops.

kdreger

satown210 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:34 am
reggiebrown40 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:19 am
I think that the electrical is okay. I can hear the motors click when cycling the switch. If I move the driver side mirror around and keep cycling the switch the motor in the mirror starts running. It will run for a few seconds but never "locks into place." I took it to a bosy shop for a quote on some damage on the front bumper. I mentioned it to the body guy and he said he had two infinitis with folding mirrors that broke and he sees them in the shop all the time. He said it is usually a plastic gear the motor turns. It breaks and the mirror gets stuck and won't move at all, or it breaks and now the mirror flops.
I just took off the passenger side mirror on our 2012 M37 and checked the plastic gear it is fine but the mirroe still will move a small bit but it still has about an inch of slack or movement in it and is loose. I don't think it is the motor because the mirror retract works "Sometimes" but wont "Push" it back out.....like it isn't enguaging with something... I tried to move it back and forth a few times like the above posting said and still not working.....any more ideas???? took about 2 hours of work to get it off and all put back again for the first time, prob will take 30 min or less now I UNDERSTAND HOW TO DO IT....

kdreger

satown210 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:48 pm
I've got a problem with both mirrors. The passenger side does not fold but it is fixed into position. The driver side does not fold either, but is loose and flops in and out a few inches. I suspect it is the motor in both of them. I can hear them click when you move the switch. I cannot find a replacement motor anywhere. There is a repair service on ebay for $200 a mirror....wonder where he gets his motors from....
I saw that also, I have been looking for replacement ones, you will need one that has the wiring harnes that goes thru the moto housing, not the ones that don't.....if you find one let me know......will do the same.

Yoda's Master
Car: 2012 M56
2009 370z

kdreger

Hollllly Crap! $229.00 for the motor! No way, I can send it to that place in Texas and they will fix it for $200.00 and I don't have to do it and they have a 1 yr warantee....

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

For those interested, I just did an Armada folding motor at the shop and posted a detailed how-to with pics:
anatomy-of-a-folding-side-mirror-t632236.html

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”