Short throw shifter

All things Altima Coupe.
D-Roll
Car: 08 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe

I need to get this mod for sure!!!

dldjros69
Car: 2012 Evo Gsr
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

D-Roll wrote:I need to get this mod for sure!!!
what the heck are you waiting for???

Order this beast...

D-Roll

dldjros69 wrote:
what the heck are you waiting for???

Order this beast...
Just ordered mine! WooHoo!
Modified by D-Roll at 8:04 AM 2/13/2009

spockrock
Car: Altima Coupe 3.5se

Ok guys, so two Fridays ago I got a call from Nissan telling me that the control linkage cable was in, but from Sunday to Thursday I was had to be in Houston. So on Friday I picked up my car, and I have no idea what the tech did but, the shifting felt much firmer and smoother. I think you guys know what I mean, the shifting felt very springy.

Any ways this mod is definitely the best mod yet.

mcheddadi
Car: R8

spockrock wrote:Ok guys, so two Fridays ago I got a call from Nissan telling me that the control linkage cable was in, but from Sunday to Thursday I was had to be in Houston. So on Friday I picked up my car, and I have no idea what the tech did but, the shifting felt much firmer and smoother. I think you guys know what I mean, the shifting felt very springy.

Any ways this mod is definitely the best mod yet.
maybe you got the 09 shifting cable thats supposed to be improved.I might have to ask them for that too lol for extra win lol

Nemesi609
Car: 2008 white 3.5 se 6mt altima coupe

why isnt this mod and the aem intake in the parts sticky?? fix it... please?

someone should stay on updating that parts list

GreyZone
Car: AC 3.5 SE 6MT Dazling White

mcheddadi wrote:
maybe you got the 09 shifting cable thats supposed to be improved.I might have to ask them for that too lol for extra win lol
Is the shift cable all they changed?? I heard they did something to "improve" the shifting, but was it just to modify the cable only? (I figured it would be improvements to the inside of the tranny synchros and/or linkage ect...)

Surley the notchy / clunky shift is due to a lot more than a cable...(dealer told me, "yeah, Nisaan transmission has a real positive feel" talk about spin...I told him he should be in sales, not service)

D-Roll

I got my Racingline STS in yesterday and installed it right after work, very simple (used the hammer idea) installation and great product.

dldjros69
Car: 2012 Evo Gsr
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

Congrats d roll, i love this mod and im sure you do too

D-Roll

^thanks mang! Yeah I love it

AppleBonker
Car: Useful: 2011 Black Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Daily: 2003 Accord EX-L Coupe
Hers: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

Figured I'd revive this thread now that I just installed my STS. I used the claw hammer method for removing the shift cable from the ball joint, but I teamed it with the Racingline method:

If you have someone giving you a hand, place a screwdriver where it is shown in that image but don't pry with it. Then pry from the front with the claw of the hammer. The screwdriver helps keep pressure on the plastic joint piece and keeps from adding stress to the cable.

I also used a claw hammer to help pry off the safety retaining clip on the shift cable mount. If you do this, make sure you aren't prying using the cable as a base. I turned the hammer so it was resting on the stock mounting bracket and used the claw and the clip and it pretty much popped right off (bit easier than just using pliers like I originally tried). Again, just make sure you're not putting pressure on the cable!

I will agree with everyone else on here, the STS is an amazing mod. I was grinning from ear to ear driving around for the first 20 minutes. On my way home from dinner I was actually hoping to hit some traffic so I could shift more often on the highway.

On a side note, this is probably going to get me in trouble. I love slamming through the gears with this thing, and I seem to end up going too fast when doing so.

PHENOMenalVinyl
Car: 08 altima coupe 2.5 mt

^^^^^ i used a hammer and it worked AMAZING...........but after about a month of having it i feel like my sts isnt that short. I feel like its not as good as it was at first. idk does anyone else have this feeling????

oh and i have a 240g weighted shift knob too

AppleBonker
Car: Useful: 2011 Black Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Daily: 2003 Accord EX-L Coupe
Hers: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

My guess is that you get used to it. It's not like the cable stretches as some might think (you didn't adjust the cable length in the first place). All we did was change the distance from the pivot point on the shifter (the ball joint was moved closer to the pivot point). I guess I'll see as I use it longer, but I don't physically see any way that the throw can actually increase back in length. I'll have it for a few months at Carlisle, so maybe I'll try to check the throw on someone's car that doesn't have an STS installed to remind me of how long the stock throw is.

PHENOMenalVinyl
Car: 08 altima coupe 2.5 mt

AppleBonker wrote:My guess is that you get used to it. It's not like the cable stretches as some might think (you didn't adjust the cable length in the first place). All we did was change the distance from the pivot point on the shifter (the ball joint was moved closer to the pivot point). I guess I'll see as I use it longer, but I don't physically see any way that the throw can actually increase back in length. I'll have it for a few months at Carlisle, so maybe I'll try to check the throw on someone's car that doesn't have an STS installed to remind me of how long the stock throw is.
thats exactly what i was thinking check other peoples cars. I hope someone comes that doesn't have an sts so i can feel the difference

ESP
Car: 2008 SexyBlack A/C

Funny...I was just thinking the same thing this afternoon... I've gotten so used to it now! hahaStill the best mod available right now IMHO.

Blackmobile
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S Super Black

yeah i know what you guys are talking about. it just feels normal now. i'm thinking of swinging by a nissan dealership tomorrow and sit in an altima and shift to remember how long it used to be. i still remember though my first reaction driving right after installing it

D-Roll

You just get used to it in time

stevewaclo
Car: '08 Altima Coupe SE 6sp 105k

Well, 10 years later and I wonder how many Coupe owners have moved on?

No joy getting in touch with Joe at Racingline and would like to know if he is still in business.

Site is up but phone is disconnected and no reply to emails fro earlier today (on line form and email address).

Also concerned about breaking my shifter assembly during removal after all these years although the shift mechanism was removed during recent clutch R&R (125k...throw out hydraulics failed).

Edit...email to sales at RL bounced.

Anyone out there?

Best

Gdegonza
Car: 2007 Altima 3.5 se

07 Altima 3.5 SE In search for a short throw shifter mount, can’t get in touch with racingline either, of anyone would like to sell please contact me at 518-768-1011 will pay to ship

Dbarry
Car: Nissan 240SX

I'm not sure but Racingline seems out of business already.

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”