Short throw shifter

All things Altima Coupe.
LinkNuc
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5 SE Super Black 6MT, Loaded minus Moon Roof Deflector

I used the needle nose pliers in the exact same fashion..no need to buy a special tool...but then again...we do like tools ar ar ar...

ESP
Car: 2008 SexyBlack A/C

LinkNuc wrote:I used the needle nose pliers in the exact same fashion..no need to buy a special tool...but then again...we do like tools ar ar ar...
Thaaaat's enough, Tim...

spockrock
Car: Altima Coupe 3.5se

A word of warning anyone doing the install, if you break the cable, like I have, the cost for the part is about 150$CDN, and approx. 5hrs of labour according to Nissan, oh and the part is not in Canada so I have to wait 2 weeks for the part to come from Japan.

Luckily for I a have friend at Nissan, so they are only charging me the actual time to do the install and not the book value like they do for regular customers, so I am looking at roughly 300-400$ for the repair and a 2 week turn around time.

If you cannot take off the cable I would suggest you get pro to do it, its will save you some time and money. It may save you 700-800$ in repairs.

RobPaulson
Car: 2013 Subaru WRX

omfg i sympathize man, i truly do, I was so relieved when I was able to bend that cable back in place.

when it bent, I looked at it and thought 'maybe i can just have it replace, its a small part' but then i followed it past its initial visibility and thats when i realized it was directly connected to the shifter inside . . . i KNEW it would be HOURS of labor, the part couldnt be that expensive, but the idea of paying for the labor to replace this thing just depressed the heck outa me lol.

It's too bad it happened spock, but I'm glad you got things rolling now, no use crying over spilled milk, way to pick up the pieces and get-er-done as cheap as ya could!

mpbclutch33
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5L, 6-speed, Radiant Silver.

Man you keep making me rethink doing it myself. I have always done my own installs (Stereo,Exhaust and Springs on this A/C). I actually just got it from FedEx today and this weekend it is supposed to be in the mid 50's so I think I am going to attempt it. Wish me luck. With all the pointers and tips provided, I am very hopefull.

spockrock

RobPaulson wrote:omfg i sympathize man, i truly do, I was so relieved when I was able to bend that cable back in place.

when it bent, I looked at it and thought 'maybe i can just have it replace, its a small part' but then i followed it past its initial visibility and thats when i realized it was directly connected to the shifter inside . . . i KNEW it would be HOURS of labor, the part couldnt be that expensive, but the idea of paying for the labor to replace this thing just depressed the heck outa me lol.

It's too bad it happened spock, but I'm glad you got things rolling now, no use crying over spilled milk, way to pick up the pieces and get-er-done as cheap as ya could!
Thanks that's no problem but I lucked out my neighbor actually is a service adviser at Nissan, and she was able to hook me up a bit, two techs will do the install together, and I will only be charge the exact amount of labor so if they get it done in 2 hours, then I get charged 2 hours.

And you are right no point in crying over spilled milk, its a tough lesson learned. I am just lucky, and in good fortune to afford the repair bill in worst case scenario.
mpbclutch33 wrote:Man you keep making me rethink doing it myself. I have always done my own installs (Stereo,Exhaust and Springs on this A/C). I actually just got it from FedEx today and this weekend it is supposed to be in the mid 50's so I think I am going to attempt it. Wish me luck. With all the pointers and tips provided, I am very hopefull.
I have only installed an intake and a front strut tower bar myself, I just don't think I had the experience as you. I bit off more than I could chew and that sucks but life goes on.

Bostonaholic
Car: 08 Altima 3.5SE Sedan

mpbclutch33 wrote:Man you keep making me rethink doing it myself. I have always done my own installs (Stereo,Exhaust and Springs on this A/C). I actually just got it from FedEx today and this weekend it is supposed to be in the mid 50's so I think I am going to attempt it. Wish me luck. With all the pointers and tips provided, I am very hopefull.
Mine just came to the door today. Install this weekend, wish me luck :crossfingers:

I will definitely take all these hints and tricks seriously.

Bostonaholic

Did anyone receive the Loctite the directions stated that was "included". I know it's really cheap and I'll go buy some, just wondering if anyone got it with the kit.

dldjros69
Car: 2012 Evo Gsr
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

Yup my kit came with blue locktite.

GreyZone
Car: AC 3.5 SE 6MT Dazling White

mine came with some, but it was only enough to do half the job

lilojoj
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe

so with the sts its kinda harder to shift now. will a heavier knob really make it easy again? because 4th to 5th makes me mad

LinkNuc

How much locktite do you think you need, I had plenty left over...they sent along a little bottle probably 1/2 oz if that.....like neo lube a little dab will do ya.

Harder to shift, nah you must have did somethingto the cable, it is easier with a heavier knob, but even with the cheapo one it should be much easier to shift.

dldjros69
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

I agree with link - i had about half a tub of locktite left. You only need to put the locktite on the first 3 or 4 threads.

Ive noticed that it is harder to get my car into first gear, but when moving the car goes into the other gears like butter... No issues with any gear.

Bostonaholic

I installed mine today and drove around for awhile and WOW this is amazing!

I also took some measurements of the throw between 3 -> 4 before and after the install.Stock - 4 1/2 inchesSTS - 3 inches

1 1/2 inches may not seem like much, but when you're ripping through the gears, IT REALLY IS INSANE!!! THIS IS A MUST HAVE!!! Now I can't wait until I get a weighted shift knob.

GreyZone

LinkNuc wrote:How much locktite do you think you need, I had plenty left over...they sent along a little bottle probably 1/2 oz if that.....like neo lube a little dab will do ya.

Harder to shift, nah you must have did somethingto the cable, it is easier with a heavier knob, but even with the cheapo one it should be much easier to shift.
huh, I musta got a bogus tube cause I hardly had enough to do a few threads period...
Modified by GreyZone at 9:29 PM 2/7/2009

Bostonaholic

FOR ANYONE THAT IS HAVING TROUBLE REMOVING THE SHIFT CABLE FROM THE PIVOT-BALL. HERE WAS HOW I DID IT AND IT WAS VERY SIMPLE AND TOOK NO EFFORT.

ESP

GreyZone wrote:
huh, I musta got a bogus tube cause I hardly had enough to do a few threads period...
Yeah, me too.........

@ Bostonaholic Daaaamn son, that's slick.

mcheddadi
Car: R8

Bostonaholic wrote:FOR ANYONE THAT IS HAVING TROUBLE REMOVING THE SHIFT CABLE FROM THE PIVOT-BALL. HERE WAS HOW I DID IT AND IT WAS VERY SIMPLE AND TOOK NO EFFORT.
the man deserves a custom title for this! why didn't I think of that when I was installing?! great solution!

GreyZone

Bostonaholichammertime!! Simply brilliant!

lilojoj
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe

wow boston is a genius

dldjros69
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

Haha that hammer idea is excellent... Why didnt we think of it.
Bostonaholic wrote:Stock - 4 1/2 inchesSTS - 3 inches

1 1/2 inches
1.5 inches makes a huge difference. I love ripping thru the gears.

mpbclutch33

Well got mine installed in about an hour this morning. I tried all three methods for the ball joint (flat head, hammer and pliers) and the the needle nose pliers did it for me with little effort. There defiantly is a sweet spot. You almost feel like you are going to break it. I ran out of lock tite on the last bolt. A little worried about that, but it should be ok. Maybe just pick some up and re-apply later. I just got my tax returns so I think I am going to get the TWM A-1 Weight shift knob. I have not even taken it for a test drive yet. It is about 60 degree here today and got gotta wash her up first!

Bostonaholic

mpbclutch33 wrote:TWM A-1 Weight shift knob.
pics?

spockrock

>______< I want my car back

mpbclutch33

Bostonaholic wrote:pics?
Pics? I am going to order it this week, but I will post pics when I get it installed. Going with the Satin finish I think to match the interior.

ESP

I've got some pics that I'll post up once I get back home tonight. I got mine in the gun metal finish...pure sex, kiddies....

mpbclutch33

ESP wrote:I've got some pics that I'll post up once I get back home tonight. I got mine in the gun metal finish...pure sex, kiddies....
Oh Yes please do before I order!

LinkNuc

Why in th hell didn't we all think of this?!?! The tool, needlenose or claw hammer all do the exact same thing, but I't pops off with no effort at all using a hammer...

Gump, you are a goddamn genius

ESP

mpbclutch33 wrote:
Oh Yes please do before I order!
http://forums.altimas.org/zero...obbly

Flypinoy457
Car: 2008 Dark Slate 3.5 Se 6 speed

The hammer idea is genius, wish i would have seen this before I did my install this past weekend. I actually came up with my own method...

Used a metal paint scrapper that I had lying around, the clip came off in a matter of min's with little effort.

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”