Short throw shifter

All things Altima Coupe.
beeristasty
Car: 07 Altima 3.5 SE

sts = short throw shifter

ESP
Car: 2008 SexyBlack A/C

chow wrote:Does the STS make the shifter shorter? If not I'm guessing it makes the throws shorter.. How bout smoother?

Anyone have videos of the throw? I've never installed a short shifter and don't see the point, can anyone explain it to me?(I guess it shortens the throw by a small percentage 10-20% so you can shift .0001 seconds faster??)

Im still really interested even though I don't see a huge difference in non STS and STS.

Convince me!!I just want a reason to buy it...................

P.S If it shortens the length of the shifter I'm definetly buying!
No, this doesn't actually make the shifter shorter...it only shortens the length of the throws. I suppose the more accurate name for this item would be a "short throw shift kit". Unfortunately, because of our reverse-lock feature, I think it's pretty difficult to actually shorten the length of the shifter itself.

I've got a vid in the works...

GreyZone
Car: AC 3.5 SE 6MT Dazling White

it's a matter of preference...a shorter throw is tighter, more of a precision feel to shifting...the longer the throw the sloppier and looser it gets in its feel. If you like it the way it is, leave it be (if it works dont fix it)..but for those of us who know and love a shortened throw (like the Z and the Gs have) its a GREAT upgrade.

Racingline

chow wrote:(I guess it shortens the throw by a small percentage 10-20% so you can shift .0001 seconds faster??)
35% actually

mcheddadi
Car: R8

ursus wrote:STS review update

- Due to the decrease in the radius of the shift lever, the force needed to throw each gear increases, but it's most apparent when I am cruising around 30mph and want to drop it to 2nd gear, I had to use some muscle to really get that gear in. Anyone else has that problem?

My car has 18k miles btw. Time for tranny fluid?
its normal, I had the same feeling during about two days, but after that if just "adapted" its self, I don't know what happened but it sundenly was smooth all over again. but not only smooth like before, it was WAY smoother. you have to man handle it a bit to losen it up yeah it sounds like rubish but now mine is soo nice, its crazy!
chow wrote:Does the STS make the shifter shorter? If not I'm guessing it makes the throws shorter.. How bout smoother?

Anyone have videos of the throw? I've never installed a short shifter and don't see the point, can anyone explain it to me?(I guess it shortens the throw by a small percentage 10-20% so you can shift .0001 seconds faster??)

Im still really interested even though I don't see a huge difference in non STS and STS.

Convince me!!I just want a reason to buy it...................

P.S If it shortens the length of the shifter I'm definetly buying!
here's some convincing: BUY ITbut only if you get a heavier shift knob.

just trust me, don't ask question, and do it. you'll feel stupid afterwards for not jumping on it sooner

tosaytheleast
Car: 2008 Altima Couple Dark Slate 3.5SE 6MT

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but have been looking into it ever since I got my coupe back in June. I really appreciate what everyone has contributed both in the form of a technical resource, but also in the form of demand for aftermarket parts that eventually translates to the real deal being available for purchase.

I hope I can contribute something as well for someone looking here in the future.

I just installed the STS last night and after 40 minutes of trying to pry off the cable attachment from the pivot joint, I ended up using the needle nose pliers and got the thing off in about 90 seconds. I didn't try to grab the end of the cable with the pliers, rather I opened up the jaws, fit one end under the cable side and front end of the fitting and pried from the driver's side toward the passenger side. It seemed like having a "needle" front and rear of the fitting balanced out the force a little and popped the fitting off without wasting any force against axis that runs through the cable. For the guys who have already done this mod, you know how easily the fitting goes back onto the pivot joint. The pliers also had the advantage of being small enough to get into the space comfortably.

I hope this is useful to someone. Thanks for everything thus far guys and for providing the inspiration and confidence needed for a lot of people to really get hands on with their cars.

lilojoj
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe

umm the sts has been sitting in my trunk for a week now. anybody in socal perhaps near fullerton/brea/buena park/la mirada want to help me install it? i dont have any tools and you guys probably know more about what to do lol so any takers? ill drive to wherever you are so yeah..

mcheddadi

lilojoj wrote:umm the sts has been sitting in my trunk for a week now. anybody in socal perhaps near fullerton/brea/buena park/la mirada want to help me install it? i dont have any tools and you guys probably know more about what to do lol so any takers? ill drive to wherever you are so yeah..
go buy those basic 10$ tool sets you disgrace

RobPaulson
Car: 2013 Subaru WRX

mcheddadi wrote:
go buy those basic 10$ tool sets you disgrace
LOL mines been sitting on my futon for 4 days now . . . wwaaayyyyyy to burnt out to install it after i get out of work <sigh>

chow
Car: Altima coupe 3.5SE

Yeah, I'll probably hope on it. But how long will the group buy last?

I hate buying things and having them sit in the house for x amount of time. I'd also hate installing this thing in the winter because metal gets so damn cold.. So i'd have to wait till the summer time unless I can burrow someones garage. Anyways, are there any other weighted shift knobs that work with the lock out feature?

Why should we get a heavier knob?

P.S.

Ive been looking around for shift knobs and came across some Sentra Spec V people with the CF Nismo shift knob, which imo looks amazing. However, I don't see a reverse lock out mechanism. (Even though the Spec-V comes with reverse lock out). Also, some other people in other forums have shaved down their shifters. Can this be done with ours? Will future short shifters do this?
Modified by chow at 7:59 AM 1/30/2009

spockrock
Car: Altima Coupe 3.5se

chow wrote:Ive been looking around for shift knobs and came across some Sentra Spec V people with the CF Nismo shift knob, which imo looks amazing. However, I don't see a reverse lock out mechanism. (Even though the Spec-V comes with reverse lock out). Also, some other people in other forums have shaved down their shifters. Can this be done with ours? Will future short shifters do this?

They removed the reverse lockout

mcheddadi

chow wrote:Yeah, I'll probably hope on it. But how long will the group buy last?

I hate buying things and having them sit in the house for x amount of time. I'd also hate installing this thing in the winter because metal gets so damn cold.. So i'd have to wait till the summer time unless I can burrow someones garage. Anyways, are there any other weighted shift knobs that work with the lock out feature?

Why should we get a heavier knob?

P.S.

Ive been looking around for shift knobs and came across some Sentra Spec V people with the CF Nismo shift knob, which imo looks amazing. However, I don't see a reverse lock out mechanism. (Even though the Spec-V comes with reverse lock out). Also, some other people in other forums have shaved down their shifters. Can this be done with ours? Will future short shifters do this?

heavier shift knob for easier transition between gears since you're relying on the inertia of the knob itself instead of you pushing to get it to get in gear. it's really the best feeling ever.

and I've installed the STSk during the winter, its super easy if you have an aftermarket intake, if not then its moderetly intimidating if you never removed your stock air intake, but still at most it will take you 1 hours and a half if you need to check out the tutorials along the way.

and you can shave the reverse lock if you want but if you drop it in reverse on the highway by mistake, I don't think nissan will give you a new tranny lol

mpbclutch33
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5L, 6-speed, Radiant Silver.

I don't think people that remove the reverse lock would have an issue throwing it in reverse on the highway or moving at speed. I can see getting 1st and reverse mixed up and moving backwards when you wanted to pull away in 1st since reverse is all the way over the left and up!

dldjros69
Car: 2012 Evo Gsr
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

The reverse lock out is there for a reason. I wouldnt take it off for any reason. I really couldnt see shifting into reverse if you were going to 3rd but maybe if you are down shifting to first.

Yuck bad idea all together

LinkNuc
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5 SE Super Black 6MT, Loaded minus Moon Roof Deflector

I've had mine since Tuesday too...I'll get there as soon as hell thaws over, wtf is up with the winters the last couple years?

spockrock

well you can shave the top of the lockout .

lilojoj

how do you remove the pin that holds the cable in place??? its stuck in really really really tight.

Blackmobile
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S Super Black

i heard it works well to use a pair of pliers instead of a screwdriver, don't clamp onto the cap with the pliers, rather use the pliers as a kind of crowbar.

lilojoj

I can get the right side, but the side closer to the engine is the side I can't get up.

dldjros69
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

try and pry it up a little bit with a wrench or pliers and then when you get a gap that is show in the picture try to stick a flat head screw driver in there and pry it out.

Racingline

needle nose as shown in the instructions is the easiest to pull that pin out. grab the tab then push down on the tap using the pliers like a lever

Viper5000
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 3.5SE/6MT

Just installed my STS!!!!! Very very awesome !

Great work Racingline, I may have to be ordering some more parts from you guys in the coming weeks.

Yeah I had to use a flat head to start me out on the tab..... then switch on to pliers (mine sucked). But interestingly enough, it took me longer to get the tab off, than it did to get the ball joint thing off.......

lilojoj

omg that was the hardest **** ever. i started around 12 and ended at 5(two 30 min breaks because i was so mad the ball and the clip werent coming out). i had to use a screw driver to pry the clip up and then locking pliers to grip it tight enough and then i used all my energy just to move it a little more than a screwdriver again to yank it all the way off. but now im happy lol. got too excited and ended up going 100mph down the road then had to slow down way to quick for a light and some guy in a Z was like YOUR BRAKES ARE SMOKING

Viper5000
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 3.5SE/6MT

wow, 5 hours.... that's a long time..... took me maybe 45 minutes. This was only my second real mod.... I think I may have to get endlinks and such now that I am more confident.

ESP
Car: 2008 SexyBlack A/C

ZeroR

chow wrote:Yeah, I'll probably hope on it. But how long will the group buy last?
IIRC yesterday was the last day to get the intro price for the STS.

ZeroR

nice vid! it really shows the distance of the throws between shifts. I also noticed that you didn't have to force it into gear. It was a nice, smooth and quick shift. I ordered mine on thursday but won't be able to install it until it starts getting warmer around here.

dldjros69
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

Yeah Esp excellent video, you pretty much showed everything about the sts. I was not expecting that. Racingline should put that on their website.

Did you to the manny fluid change?Do you have an after market exhaust?

Finally whats up with that bracelet. lol

spockrock

I am doing the sts install now, and that ball joint is not coming off. Any suggestions on popping it off??

spockrock

spockrock wrote:I am doing the sts install now, and that ball joint is not coming off. Any suggestions on popping it off??
screw I just broke my screwing cable....!!!!

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”