Shark fin antenna replacement

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
bent driver
Car: 2011 rogue

how much of the headliner has to come down to change the antenna base? Is there a multimeter test to check the amplifier circuit installed on car? All functions of the unit work except a very weak AM/FM signal. The FSM gives three conditions for the weak signal- 1) antenna amp ON signal ckt , 2) antenna base, 3)antenna feeder. Best thinking trouble shooting says if I have a 5 volt signal out of the unit, the amplifier is the culprit. Any help is appreciated. Don't want to "shotgun" a $100 antenna base repair if a wire bundle is the problem.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

bent driver wrote:how much of the headliner has to come down to change the antenna base? Is there a multimeter test to check the amplifier circuit installed on car? All functions of the unit work except a very weak AM/FM signal. The FSM gives three conditions for the weak signal- 1) antenna amp ON signal ckt , 2) antenna base, 3)antenna feeder. Best thinking trouble shooting says if I have a 5 volt signal out of the unit, the amplifier is the culprit. Any help is appreciated. Don't want to "shotgun" a $100 antenna base repair if a wire bundle is the problem.
That's too much work for so little return. Replace it with a decent after market unit and call it a day.

bent driver
Car: 2011 rogue

Thanks. Doing a continuity or load check on the antenna end isn't that much trouble after getting access to the back (done). I just am not sure what readings I should be checking. And the wiring diagrams in the FSM aren't as clear as they maybe need to be for a non-electronic shade-tree (inquisitive idiot- I love that) type as I am. A new unit is still gonna need an antenna, isn't it? The unit is fine, I think. I just need to get a new amplifier at the end of the wire bundle I think. Amazing how much work is described in the FSM for a "one nut" installation. Does the whole headliner have to come out? I haven't started the rear end yet but surely there's enough play to bend down enough to get at the antenna base and the plug on the right side of roof.

jahite128
Car: 2011 Rogue Sv
2013 Rogue AWD SV
2015 Rogue SV AWD

Not able to reach nut on base, and connections on drop of only headline without getting side off. Best get Manuel here and remove the panels, that way you can get at base and wires

E.T.

I just replaced the crappy (too long) stock antenna with a shark fin from BeatSonic. Works great, and easy install. The stock antenna was getting in the way of my kayak rack. Seriously, who engineers these cars (and I noticed it's not just Nissan). Design the SUV with a roof rack, but then put a big freaking antenna right in the middle of the roof. Gotta be one of the dumbest engineering moves I've seen lately. Guess they figure a lot of people just want the roof rails to look cool, but won't actually use them :confused:

rml23
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue

Hello fellow Rogue owners!

I'm a the new owner of a 2011 Nissan Rogue. I love everything about the car, however the antenna couldn't be in a more inconvenient spot for me. I just got a new kayak, and since my Rogue has no bars, I had to buy an inflatable kayak rack. Guess what's directly in the way? The antenna! I already screwed off the actual antenna, but the base is still in the way. Any advice? Please don't tell me it's not removable :facepalm:

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

rml23 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:07 am
Hello fellow Rogue owners!

I'm a the new owner of a 2011 Nissan Rogue. I love everything about the car, however the antenna couldn't be in a more inconvenient spot for me. I just got a new kayak, and since my Rogue has no bars, I had to buy an inflatable kayak rack. Guess what's directly in the way? The antenna! I already screwed off the actual antenna, but the base is still in the way. Any advice? Please don't tell me it's not removable :facepalm:
We have an incredible SEARCH feature on this forum. Merged with existing thread. Please read the previous posts.

--------> READ BEFORE CREATING NEW THREAD! <--------

phj222
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV

I love my 2015 Rogue SV, but recently have been looking into getting a surfboard that I would need a rack to carry. The problem is the antenna is in the way. I can unscrew the long part from the base and be fine, but I wondered if there's some kind of cap or other kind of cover to keep water from the surfboard from dripping into the exposed antenna base (after the antenna rod has been unscrewed so the surfboard can fit). Does that make sense? Any ideas or suggestions of antenna replacements that don't stick up so tall?

Thanks in advance.

joeynissan84523
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue

Has anyone replaced their stubby antenna for a shark fin antenna on a 14-16 Rogue? Did you use OEM or third party?

Is there anything In particular I need to be aware of? I have navigation and satellite radio but as far as I know, the antenna on top does not control those.

Any help or direction with this project will be greatly apprciated, especially if you can share a product link. Thanks!

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

joeynissan84523 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:50 am
Has anyone replaced their stubby antenna for a shark fin antenna on a 14-16 Rogue? Did you use OEM or third party?

Is there anything In particular I need to be aware of? I have navigation and satellite radio but as far as I know, the antenna on top does not control those.

Any help or direction with this project will be greatly apprciated, especially if you can share a product link. Thanks!
Merged with existing topic. Please read previous posts.

mcclete22

Hello all,
Glad I found this forum.

Here is my question: I recently purchased a 2016 Nissan Rogue. This Rogue's roof antenna is broken off and the antenna base is cracked. I checked with the dealer and they quoted my a repair price of over $500. I found some youtube videos on people with other vehicles changing out their own roof antennas and I wondered if thats something I could do. Also, does it have to be the same as the current antenna or could I use a "shark fin" antenna?

I am not very car savvy, but can do somethings like change headlights, tail lights, simple mechanical stuff. Is there anywhere I can go to read how to, or watch a video on how to change my roof antenna including the base?

Follow up question, where can I get this roof antenna without it breaking the bank.

Any help, thoughts, ideas, or suggestions are greatly welcomed.
Thanks,
Mick

yusuke08
Car: Rogue [X-trail Advance] 2017

mcclete22 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:11 am
Hello all,
Glad I found this forum.

Here is my question: I recently purchased a 2016 Nissan Rogue. This Rogue's roof antenna is broken off and the antenna base is cracked. I checked with the dealer and they quoted my a repair price of over $500. I found some youtube videos on people with other vehicles changing out their own roof antennas and I wondered if thats something I could do. Also, does it have to be the same as the current antenna or could I use a "shark fin" antenna?

I am not very car savvy, but can do somethings like change headlights, tail lights, simple mechanical stuff. Is there anywhere I can go to read how to, or watch a video on how to change my roof antenna including the base?

Follow up question, where can I get this roof antenna without it breaking the bank.

Any help, thoughts, ideas, or suggestions are greatly welcomed.
Thanks,
Mick
Hi, can you take pics of the actual damage of the antenna base?

mcclete22

As requested I have photos. How do I post them here?

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

mcclete22 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:53 am
Use the SEARCH feature on this forum. You'd be amazed at what you'll find if you actually take the time to look for it.

There's links to instructions in my signature line.

yusuke08
Car: Rogue [X-trail Advance] 2017

mcclete22 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:53 am
As rogue one mentioned, you can use imgur nor tinypic to upload them.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

RyleyinSTL wrote:
Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:58 pm
Rear antenna rod is for AM/FM radio reception not GPS/XM.
So if I removed the Rod from mine, would I just loose the AM/FM reception only or would I loose AM/FM/SXM/GPS reception all together?

I only use bluetooth audio, SXM, and GPS, not AM/FM since I am constantly driving through multiple counties every week.

dubnationd
Car: 2015 Rogue

i installed this shark fin antenna on my 2015 rogue s i don't notice any change in my AM FM reception. it definitely has no effect on the SXM and GPS reception because they both use separate receivers/antennas.

mcclete22

The problem I'm facing is that the actual base is cracked. The Sirius XM still works, but I don't know if I want to install a shark fin antenna onto a cracked base.

Would post pics but can't figure it out. I'm not huge tech savvy guy.

MrCaine01
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV

I'm hoping someone here can help me out. My wife ended up breaking the antenna base on the 2015 Nissan Rogue and I'm trying to find the correct part to order. all the places I have checked really don't show the base so I can't verify that its the correct part and I'm not exactly sure what part of the service manual would have it. The only thing that was keeping it on was the single strand of wire that I snipped myself as I didnt want the antenna base flying off while she was driving. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Return to “Rogue Forum”