SEVERE water leak into passenger door on '08 2.5S

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
brandonpoc
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4

I recently purchased an excellent-condition 2008 Altima 2.5S for my girlfriend, with 64,000 miles and not a scratch on the interior. I had taken the vehicle through several carwashes, both touch and touch-less, and had no problems. My girlfriend took it through a touch wash at a gas station and shortly after opened the passenger door to find it heavy and heard a "sloshing" sound within the door, as though it was filled with water. We were convinced there was water inside the door frame; after messing around with the weather seal on the bottom of the we were greeted with a TORRENT of water flooding out. There must have been several gallons. Whether or not it damaged anything inside the door frame is yet to be determined as nothing on the door is malfunctioning as of this writing and I have not removed the trim to take a look.

We figured there must have been a particular angle and pressure that this latest wash used and resulted in the door filling up via perhaps an otherwise small hole so we went to a D.I.Y. carwash bay and sprayed the hose high-pressure hose for a while until we discovered the water entered the door via the very front bottom of the passenger window where the window seal makes contact with the side mirror. I am not sure whether it is a weather seal issue or something else but I may bet on the seal.

Has anyone else had this problem with any of their window or is this something known to happen with some Altima models? Any ideas on how to fix this? I am considering first trying to reinforce the seal where the "leak" is occurring, and secondarily to replace the whole weather seal. This is very distressing as I fear what damage may occur going forward.

Thank you!

rabidus
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue
2012 Nissan Quest

There are drain holes accross the bottom of the door that can be seen when you open the door. If water is building up in the door, they must be clogged.

Clear out whatever is clogging those holes from inside the door.

brandonpoc
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4

Thank you, I'll take a look.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Clean open the drain holes like said. There is NO SUCH THING as a waterproof door and cease looking for it. They are intended to take on water and it drains out the bottom holes on every car in the universe.

Any 'window seal' on the OUTSIDE of the window at top of door is not waterproof and intended that way. The seal on the INSIDE of door that goes all the way around it and even bottom of door IS supposed to not pass water at all. Any seal that goes around the edge of window glass as in around the top, front, and back is supposed to be waterproof.

The electrics in door are shielded from water by a vapor barrier between door panel and the inner steel of the door.

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”