Seat Belt Issues -update!

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

I think you were lucky...

I've used seatbelt pads for years and love 'em! Never had a problem in my 05 coupe

cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

FYI: I have used these kind of pads in my 2003 G35 coupe too... I rather be lucky than good

Daviddel
Car: 2009 and 2010 G37 Convertible

We just bought our second G37 Convertible because we were always arguing over who got to drive the convertible. :D

We have a 2009, black/black, Base model and a 2010 Anniversary Edition in Dark Shadow Grey with Red leather plus the anniversary body work and Essense rims.

Our dealer replaced BOTH door panels in the 2009 ( we only bought it in November 2009) because of door dings from the seatbelts AND they put in 2010 seat belt replacements. Not just the belt but the entire assembly including new leather straps for the seats. The net is they now work as they should (retract automatically but still have to be a bit careful) and Infiniti payed for it ALL. While we were picking up our 2010, they told us that Infiniti had just issued a general recall and fix :-) SO get to your dealer ASAP.

Cobra_Kai_84
Car: 2009 G37S convertible - Athens Blue/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Nav, rear deck spoiler

I just got my car back from getting an oil change at the dealership. My service guy acknowledged the seatbelt situation. He said it wasn't a recall, but that I can make an appointment and they will install a whole new assembly on both sides - the new seat belt replacements, replace both door panels, etc. All on Infiniti's dime. I don't have many dings on my door panels, but I will take the new setup gladly, and not worry about the seat belt buckle nearly as much as before.

It took a while, but at least Infiniti is stepping up to resolve this issue...

cereal2k
Car: 2009 G37S Convertible,2003 G35 Sedan

Daviddel wrote:We just bought our second G37 Convertible because we were always arguing over who got to drive the convertible. :D

We have a 2009, black/black, Base model and a 2010 Anniversary Edition in Dark Shadow Grey with Red leather plus the anniversary body work and Essense rims.

Our dealer replaced BOTH door panels in the 2009 ( we only bought it in November 2009) because of door dings from the seatbelts AND they put in 2010 seat belt replacements. Not just the belt but the entire assembly including new leather straps for the seats. The net is they now work as they should (retract automatically but still have to be a bit careful) and Infiniti payed for it ALL. While we were picking up our 2010, they told us that Infiniti had just issued a general recall and fix :-) SO get to your dealer ASAP.

This is good news! However I find it hilarious that you and your spouse were arguing over who gets to drive the vert :). My wife hates red sports cars and refuses to drive mine. I do all the driving now and it's fine by me LOL. Congrats on the 2010 anniversary edition! Nice!

cmesurf

Cobra_Kai_84 wrote:I just got my car back from getting an oil change at the dealership. My service guy acknowledged the seatbelt situation. He said it wasn't a recall, but that I can make an appointment and they will install a whole new assembly on both sides - the new seat belt replacements, replace both door panels, etc. All on Infiniti's dime. I don't have many dings on my door panels, but I will take the new setup gladly, and not worry about the seat belt buckle nearly as much as before.

It took a while, but at least Infiniti is stepping up to resolve this issue...
What's the difference between old and new seat belt setup? thanks

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Merged a few threads on this subject. Looks like Infiniti corp. has listened to its customers!

cotandem
Car: Infiniti G37C

I started this thread some months ago, and was excited to find there might be a solution. Interesting that when I cut/pasted the notes from this forum and asked if i should make an appt, I go tthe following response:

"After checking for available technical service bulletins, and recalls, I have not found any information leading to a resolution like this. I believe after reading this, it must have been taken care of under "Dealer Goodwill", meaning that the dealership absorbed any cost associated. Further than that, I am not sure.

If you have any other questions, please let me know."

Just FYI for all us hopefuls...

jmy0ung
Car: 2009 G37 vert

My dealer Charles Barker in Virginia Beach VA just basically said go jump in a lake. Anyone who thinks it is not a safety issue...will I don't buckle mine because of this and have told passengers to just leave them alone, they don't retract like they should and can damage the car.

gcirillo
Car: 2009 G37 Convertible

I just learned today that there is a National back-order on door panels AND seat belt retractors for the G37C. The seat belt retractors are, apparently, a different part number than original, suggesting that they are improved. I noticed that the seatbelts on another convertible in the showroom do retract more sharply. So maybe there's a solution, if you can get the parts.

And to the guy choosing not to buckle "because of this"-- that is just stupid. You don't want to ding your inside door panels, so you are driving around without a seatbelt on. Classic passive-aggressive behavior. Darwin may have his way with you!

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

cotandem wrote:"After checking for available technical service bulletins, and recalls, I have not found any information leading to a resolution like this. I believe after reading this, it must have been taken care of under "Dealer Goodwill", meaning that the dealership absorbed any cost associated. Further than that, I am not sure.
That is pretty honest. If I were you I would call Consumer Affairs. Infiniti is very strict when it comes to warratying what they call "soft" trim. These are typically the panels that are damaged by the customer. From working at other manufacturers they warranty far almost no interior trim pieces. This kind of puts the dealer in a tough spot, they want to help you however if Infiniti deems this is not a covered item the dealer will be back charged for the part (~$1000 more if you have the red interior) and labor. Having a CA file will remove the liability from the dealer, and bring the district reps in on this issue.
jmy0ung wrote:My dealer Charles Barker in Virginia Beach VA just basically said go jump in a lake. Anyone who thinks it is not a safety issue...will I don't buckle mine because of this and have told passengers to just leave them alone, they don't retract like they should and can damage the car.
The statement is by far the most reckless I have read on the internet in a while, I am surprised such insanity came from the convertible forum.

Really you tell people in your passenger seat to not buckle in just because the safety device might contact the door panel?
Really?

Take a quick second to check the door when you are shutting it, are the lives of your passengers worth a door panel? Let the belt hang and reach behind you and grab it.

I hope you get a ticket. :slap:
gcirillo wrote:I just learned today that there is a National back-order on door panels AND seat belt retractors for the G37C. The seat belt retractors are, apparently, a different part number than original, suggesting that they are improved. I noticed that the seatbelts on another convertible in the showroom do retract more sharply. So maybe there's a solution, if you can get the parts.

And to the guy choosing not to buckle "because of this"-- that is just stupid. You don't want to ding your inside door panels, so you are driving around without a seatbelt on. Classic passive-aggressive behavior. Darwin may have his way with you!
That is actually a good thing,
That means they have discontinues the existing number and will not sell (either warranty of over the counter) them anymore. From that point I have no idea where the existing ones go but I imagine somewhere fun. However things coming off backorder tend to take a while. I have personally never seen a door panel that has a slot for an airbag (its going to take longer, for safety reasons), or for that matter an issue involving a seat belt and a soft trim panel. A few years back when the G sedan was new there was an annoying clicking when the passenger seat was in a certain position, but that was fixed with tape.

I've tried calling some of the people I know on this and no two people have the same answer...typically the same PR mumbo jumbo.
Hang tight, as long as you have it logged in your history replacement shouldn't be an issue. However having a CA file is never a bad idea with soft trim.

:cheers: Enjoy the beginning of summer, I have to work but I am hoping to see some convertible pics in various states of enjoyment. Get out there and get some grillin done y'all.

cospringsco
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37 convertible

The dealer called to let me know that Infiniti had a fix for the seatbelt issue. We took the car in for the repair even though we hadn't seen any new damage to the door panels in weeks. The 'fix' includes adding a second snap to the loop holding the seatbelt and a different retractor for the seatbelt. One week after we got the car back we found the deepest gouge we've ever seen in the driver's side door panel. And there have been several more since then. The 'fix' is a flop. Here's a few things Infiniti needs to consider before coming out with a new solution: The second snap is difficult, the loop needs to be perfectly aligned to snap, when it's raining or the wind is blowing you don't want to stand there fussing with this annoying piece of crap. If you don't engage both snaps - the snaps make an annoying rattling noise as you drive down the road. We use the back seats! When our kids get out of the car are we supposed to fasten the seatbelt in the loop again before shutting the door - even though we will be loading them back into the car when we return? That's very inconvenient. We've come to accept the dings in the door for now, but if there is not a permanent solution to the problem by the one year anniversary of this purchase, I'm returning the car!

cmesurf

Thanks for update, I probably won't get this upgrade fix to seat belt... .

NewGMan
Car: G37 Convertible (Nav. Tech. Premium), Sport Wheels

Have to say, even in the 2010, the seat belt design is not really good. It has the double snap strap and it retracts fine, but it does not retract against the seat every time when it is in the strap, and it seems better to leave it out. I just leave the strap snapped and run the seat belt over it and it seems to sit fine on my shoulder and when I take it off I am just careful not to let it go slamming into the door. Of course I am speaking from a full day of experience :biggrin:

I don't understand why they did not just put an open hard plastic C shaped bracket on the top of the seat. That way it would have been easy to get it in and out, and the strap would not hit you in the shoulder. Would have been a much better design, but possibly I am missing something.

cmesurf

NewGMan wrote:Have to say, even in the 2010, the seat belt design is not really good. It has the double snap strap and it retracts fine, but it does not retract against the seat every time when it is in the strap, and it seems better to leave it out. I just leave the strap snapped and run the seat belt over it and it seems to sit fine on my shoulder and when I take it off I am just careful not to let it go slamming into the door. Of course I am speaking from a full day of experience :biggrin:

I don't understand why they did not just put an open hard plastic C shaped bracket on the top of the seat. That way it would have been easy to get it in and out, and the strap would not hit you in the shoulder. Would have been a much better design, but possibly I am missing something.
I got 12 month service on my convertible and while waiting i inquired about the seat belt issue and fix, according to the this dealer the fix is not finalized...by Infiniti.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”