Sea Foam vid of the QX4

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

This was the 2nd time I Sea Foamed my car, check out the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tBDvBoRq00

Billy

Qxxx4
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4, 2012 Mustang

whoa thats cool! a coworker noticed i was watching the vid and said its great stuff...any way you can show us how its done? He told me you put it in the vacuum line a little bit at a time

Empty V

Qxxx4 wrote:whoa thats cool! a coworker noticed i was watching the vid and said its great stuff...any way you can show us how its done? He told me you put it in the vacuum line a little bit at a time
It's really simple.

1. Pour 1/3 bottle in your gas tank, 1/3 in crank case where you top off your oil and 1/3 gets sucked up by the vacuum line pictured below. You should have a friend there on the throttle because when you pull that vacuum line the engine wants to die.The vacuum line has a ton of pressure and will implode"" the can if you create a seal so you want to kind of pour it into the hose.

2. After it's all sucked up, reattach the vacuum line.3. Let it run for about 30 seconds then cut the engine. 4. Let the vehicle sit for about 15min so the Sea Foam can do it's thang.5. Drive it on a freeway or somewhere you can run it at higher RPM's until the smoke stops emitting from the exhaust6. Immediately get your oil changed.

That's it! My ride runs great and I do it every 3rd oil change.

Billy
Modified by Empty V at 2:24 PM 8/8/2009

Turbogst
Car: 04 Pathfinder SE 4x4, 10 Acura TL AWD, 08 Zo6

It also shortens the life of your plugs and can foul them. After you do it your supposed to change your plugs.. A lot of nasty stuff gets on them. I have been using it for years was great on my eclipse everyone would think I blew my turbo haha. I only do it about once a year.

Empty V

Turbogst wrote:It also shortens the life of your plugs and can foul them. After you do it your supposed to change your plugs.. A lot of nasty stuff gets on them. I have been using it for years was great on my eclipse everyone would think I blew my turbo haha. I only do it about once a year.
It hasn't messed up my plugs. Sea Foam recommends doing it every oil change, I doubt they would give that recommendation if it destroyed plugs, but I could be wrong. I've been doing it on my ride four about 9 months now and have not had a single misfire.

Billy

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

I've got 160,000 miles on my '01 PF.

No Sea Foam.

No misfires either.

W O T
Car: 2001 Infiniti Qx4

lol true, I seafoam my cars for the fun of the smoke.

Only car Ive seen it make a difference in was my b18 civic, had a nasty valve slap and a not so perfect idle, 1/2 can in the oil and 1/2 through the vacuum line and she ran minty

I like driving in traffic after doing it, people point and honk and throw the

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

i too have heard that seafoam fouls plugs. i change the oil and plugs after seafoam just for good measure. Reminds me i probably should seafoam mine soon. 170k miles only been seafoamed once at like 110k

sixty4
Car: 2008 QX56
1964 Lincoln Continental

Gone:
2006 QX56, 1998 QX4, 2001 QX4, 2000 I30

new to me? Before opening the post I figured you guys were just driving into the ocean. What is it?

maikan
Car: Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot 1999 VG33E 4wd

What the hell was that ?I have never heard of that thing before.What is the point of putting sea foam ( real sea foam ?) in an engine?What is the benefits ?It's one of the most incredible thing I have seen been put through an engine.

Empty V

maikan wrote:What the hell was that ?I have never heard of that thing before.What is the point of putting sea foam ( real sea foam ?) in an engine?What is the benefits ?It's one of the most incredible thing I have seen been put through an engine.
This is from the Sea Foam Website:

EA FOAM Motor Treatment is a 100% pure petroleum product that safely and effectively cleans internal fuel and oil system components, helping your gasoline or diesel engine run cleaner and more efficiently. SEA FOAM is an EPA-registered product, and will not harm engine components, seals, gaskets, catalytic converters or oxygen sensors.SEA FOAM liquifies gum and varnish deposits or internal engine components, removing carbon deposits, freeing sticky valve lifters and rings curing rough idle, pinging and hesitation problems. By using SEA FOAM to eliminate varnish and carbon buildup, mechanics can more accurately diagnose mechanical problems that may exist. That is why Sea Foam has been so popular with professional mechanics for over 65 years.As a fuel system additive, Sea Foam will clean fuel injectors, clean carbon, gum and varnish deposits, add lubricity to fuel, stabilize fuel for 2 years and control moisture.As an oil system additive, Sea Foam controls moisture, gum, varnish and residue deposits.

Billy

korbeano89
Car: 1997 infiniti QX4

maikan wrote:What is the point of putting sea foam ( real sea foam ?)

i sea foamed my q and mine didnt even smoke nearly as much as yours, it barely smoked at all.

W O T

The longer you let it sit after turning the engine off after you sucked it in, the more it smokes, wait a minimum of 15 min

Ive never had a car that didnt produce a THICK smog after doing it for the first time

Empty V

korbeano89 wrote:

i sea foamed my q and mine didnt even smoke nearly as much as yours, it barely smoked at all.
I just did it again 2 days ago and got the usual massive amounts of smoke, you f'd up somewhere dude. Where did you put the fluid?

Billy

diamondj30
Car: Not to low , not to high , just right .

ive always used seafoam.works for me.did you have to reset your idle.im not familiar with those vehical's.I pour every 40k.in my tank cause fuel injected and its never fouled a plug yet..I did a friends car man there was some smoke baby,whew.His beater ran much better.

korbeano89

Empty V wrote:
I just did it again 2 days ago and got the usual massive amounts of smoke, you f'd up somewhere dude. Where did you put the fluid?

Billy
no i just did a third of the can in all the right places and let it sit for 15 mins, i think lol. and then started it up and it smoked for a lil but it was smoke that you could see through it wasnt dense like yours.

Empty V

korbeano89 wrote:
no i just did a third of the can in all the right places and let it sit for 15 mins, i think lol. and then started it up and it smoked for a lil but it was smoke that you could see through it wasnt dense like yours.
What are all the right places? You need to have your engine running and suck it up through a vacuum line. At least that's how I do it, and 1/3 goes in the crank case and another into the gas tank.

Billy

korbeano89

Empty V wrote:
It's really simple.

1. Pour 1/3 bottle in your gas tank, 1/3 in crank case where you top off your oil and 1/3 gets sucked up by the vacuum line pictured below. You should have a friend there on the throttle because when you pull that vacuum line the engine wants to die.The vacuum line has a ton of pressure and will implode"" the can if you create a seal so you want to kind of pour it into the hose.

2. After it's all sucked up, reattach the vacuum line.3. Let it run for about 30 seconds then cut the engine. 4. Let the vehicle sit for about 15min so the Sea Foam can do it's thang.5. Drive it on a freeway or somewhere you can run it at higher RPM's until the smoke stops emitting from the exhaust6. Immediately get your oil changed.

That's it! My ride runs great and I do it every 3rd oil change.

Billy

Modified by Empty V at 2:24 PM 8/8/2009
like i said all the right places, i guess ill let it sit in my engine longer next time

W O T

Letting it sit really is the difference, you were probly all ansy counting the seconds and your 15 minutes was 5 minutes lol. My buddies t-bird didnt smoke and he only let it sit for like 2 min (long enough to pour it in the oil and gas tank)

Im gonna do my moms 01 ford escape with 150k on it today or tomorrow and I'll post the video here

sc2nr
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE, 1998 Saturn SC2

I didn't use "Sea Foam" but I've used a similar product (name escapes me) on my 98' Saturn and a buddy's Neon. It was in spray form, took the intake off and sprayed it into the TB while holding the RPM's at 2500. same smog and waiting period.

I'm picking up my 2003 Pathfinder on monday and will be doing this, then oil/filter/sparkplug change.

Does anyone in canada know where to pick sea foam up?

thanks

Nick
Modified by sc2nr at 12:59 PM 1/29/2010

Empty V

sc2nr wrote:I didn't use "Sea Foam" but I've used a similar product (name escapes me) on my 98' Saturn and a buddy's Neon. It was in spray form, took the intake off and sprayed it into the TB while holding the RPM's at 2500. same smog and waiting period.

I'm picking up my 2003 Pathfinder on monday and will be doing this, then oil/filter/sparkplug change.

Does anyone in canada know where to pick this up?

thanks

Nick
Hey Nick, that sounds exactly like throttle body cleaner. Did you notice any performance improvements?

Billy

sc2nr

Well throttle response was better for sure, other than that I didn't really notice much else.

The last time I did that was 2 summers ago and I spun a bearing later that summer and have had it parked since, so my memory is a little rusty.

It sounds like this product has alot more potential.

RyanEvh
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfiner

I've been trying to find this stuff for a few week. Where would I be able to find it in Ontario?

Empty V

I suggest ordering a few bottles online.

The weirdest part about this is that this thread was resurrected and I just got a call 10min ago from a co-worker asking help because he's SeaFoaming his truck outside of my building. WEIRD!

Billy

Pwnin O'Brien

RyanEvh wrote:I've been trying to find this stuff for a few week. Where would I be able to find it in Ontario?
Here's a list of Canadian retailers that carry the Seafoam products...

http://www.seafoamsales.com/ca....html

longhornsqx4
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5L VQ35DE

Its on sale @ Napa right now. 12.99 a can

I bought 3

JonathanPrem
Car: 02 Nissan pathfinder 4WD SE

longhornsqx4 wrote:Its on sale @ Napa right now. 12.99 a can

I bought 3
Isn't that the normal? you can get sea foam at part source

sc2nr

Empty V wrote:I suggest ordering a few bottles online.

The weirdest part about this is that this thread was resurrected and I just got a call 10min ago from a co-worker asking help because he's SeaFoaming his truck outside of my building. WEIRD!

Billy
Just takes a new person to be reading sticky posts, and asking newb questions. Thanks for the info, can't wait to dig deeper once I have the truck on Monday!

Have a good weekend

01qwhite
Car: 01 Infinity QX4

off subject here but empty v are those the wheels that came on ur ride?

Innovazn
Car: Yellow 1998 Nissan R34 Skyline RB25DET 5 MT - Current

White 2012 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SR 6MT - Salvage (T-Boned at left turn)

White 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE - SOLD (blew the engine)

Gotta say.... I sea foamed my ride yesterday and HOLY CRAP there was smoke.......... i kinda got bottle happy and unleashed a full bottle in crank case, another bottle in a empty tank of gas (that was promptly filled with 91 from chevron) and about half bottle in the hose. Let it sit for about 10 15 minutes cranked her(no start cuz till i throttled) and wow.... gotta say the truck responds much better and runs alot smoother.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”