Scuff Protection: Scratching of paint on lower doorsills

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
roguetoad
Car: 08 SL AWD

Clear auto duct tape will work as temporary fix until you get 3m or other, if you live on dirt roads like we do. Easy on and easy to remove when you get the real stuff. Works OK on our white R. Yes, wouldn't look real sharp on other colors, but might save some paint & aggravation later.

Tnx froger for the Xpel lead.

mrfantastic74
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Thanks to this forum, I noticed this issue on my grey rogue today. I wouldn't have seen it if I wasn't looking for it.

I just ordered the Xpel stuff, as per Frogger's recommendation (thanks). I'll post how it works out. The only problem with that stuff as of this point is the steep shipping cost. Oh well.

ahhbeebee
Car: '08 Rogue SL FWD - Pearl White

At least one month from the last time anyone has posted any updates? I personally haven't heard from my Service Manager in some time, I'll probably stop by on the weekend or something.

Anyone with any form of positive news? Maybe its time to write some more letters?

philipa_240sx

Yes, it's been quiet. I am going to check right now.

mrfantastic74

I applied the Xpel stuff (which is actually a 3M product- It's says 3M prominently on the roll). It seems to be doing the job. I had some difficulty trying to apply it without getting wrinkling or air bubbles, so it doesn't look perfect, but it's not bad and is hardly noticeable.

EddNog

mrfantastic74 wrote:I applied the Xpel stuff (which is actually a 3M product- It's says 3M prominently on the roll). It seems to be doing the job. I had some difficulty trying to apply it without getting wrinkling or air bubbles, so it doesn't look perfect, but it's not bad and is hardly noticeable.
Ditto here; did you do one strip per side, or one per door? I did one per door. It was not easy to put on but it looks okay now after a couple weeks of curing.

-Ed

philipa_240sx

Question: Are you just applying it dry? Or are you using the window tinters method where you mist everything (including the adhesive) with a light soapy solution, place, then squeegee the water out. That is how I apply mine and I manage to get the bubbles out everytime.

EddNog

philipa_240sx wrote:Question: Are you just applying it dry? Or are you using the window tinters method where you mist everything (including the adhesive) with a light soapy solution, place, then squeegee the water out. That is how I apply mine and I manage to get the bubbles out everytime.
This is definitely the right way to do it.

And definitely not the way I did it...

Not going to lie...I didn't really care too much about it (my original solution would have looked a lot uglier, anyway) so I just, "schlepped," it on and called it a day.

-Ed

njr

Just an update on my blue Rogue.

I have had it for 5 months and there IS some abrasion to the paint. I pointed it out to my Service Manager / Owner and he said he hadn't seen it before I pointed it out, and that Nissan won't do anything to correct it. I gave him my paint and he bought some chip guard, and he painted it and covered it with the chip guard, and lubricated the rubber seal to try to block out road debris. I paid for the materials and he covered the labor cost. He said he is doing it for subsequent customers.

Nora

philipa_240sx

Spoke to the service manager at the dealer today. No update from Nissan Canada yet. I am still patiently waiting....

mrfantastic74

I
EddNog wrote:
Ditto here; did you do one strip per side, or one per door? I did one per door. It was not easy to put on but it looks okay now after a couple weeks of curing.

-Ed
I did one per door. I found applying smaller pieces was easier in terms of aesthetics.

mrfantastic74

Hone
philipa_240sx wrote:Question: Are you just applying it dry? Or are you using the window tinters method where you mist everything (including the adhesive) with a light soapy solution, place, then squeegee the water out. That is how I apply mine and I manage to get the bubbles out everytime.
Honestly, I was unaware of the proper way to do it. I applied it dry. Seeing as it is only the bottom door sill, and nobody ever really sees it, I wasn't too concerned.

mstrmstr
Car: Venom Red ROGUE 08...and 4 others

I read this set of posts and some others- Ran out and carnuba waxed my contact areas. Then went looking at a bunch of new Rogues. Even the simplest of us know contact transfer of scratches and it's near impossible to keep that strip from capturing debris. holding the debris against the paint and with the vibrations of going down the road cause a sander like type of action. Gets no better as the soft material can also degrade the paint and sometimes even transfer.. So its a hurryup and get crackin on a repacement seal ... I smell a recall notice here.

I went thru 9 dealerships and reviewed more than several hundred Rogues..about twenty had the noticable starts of strip transfer and paint degrading already..and not even sold yet. My best guess then is about 8% of the Rogues will have problems like this.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

mstrmstr wrote:I read this set of posts and some others- Ran out and carnuba waxed my contact areas. Then went looking at a bunch of new Rogues. Even the simplest of us know contact transfer of scratches and it's near impossible to keep that strip from capturing debris. holding the debris against the paint and with the vibrations of going down the road cause a sander like type of action. Gets no better as the soft material can also degrade the paint and sometimes even transfer.. So its a hurryup and get crackin on a repacement seal ... I smell a recall notice here.

I went thru 9 dealerships and reviewed more than several hundred Rogues..about twenty had the noticable starts of strip transfer and paint degrading already..and not even sold yet. My best guess then is about 8% of the Rogues will have problems like this.
Your post was a little hard to follow......I find it hard to believe that you looked at "several hundred" Rogue's, but even if you did, your method is not valid for estimating that "8% of Rogue's will have this problem". You just made observations of brand new vehicles with very few miles - since they all have the same door sill and weather strippnig design (unless it's changed for 2009?), and it is the poor design that causes this degradation, the conclusion is that 100% percent of Rogue's will experience the door sill scratches. If you wanted to test this hypothesis with observations (like you did), then the way to do it would be make observations of Rogue's at various mileage intervals, not just brand new on the lot - but in this case it isn't necessary.

And also, I doubt the wax on the door sill will do much good, I think the consensus on this forum is that the clear paint protection film is by far the best option.

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

I emailed GILA this morning and just got their answer: They don't do the paint protection film in rolls anymore. They only list their 1/2"x12' roll for now.

I checked the XPEL website, the price is correct but shipping to Montreal is 40$ for less than 20$ buy.

I think I will wait for my next visit to the US, go to Lowe's or Homedepot and buy it then, that is crazy!

philipa_240sx

There are a number of online retailers:

"paint protection film online"

https://www.invisiblemask.com/site.htmlShipping is free, but they charge $15 handling fee for Canadian orders.

http://www.nochip.ca

http://www.crackmasterscanada.com

roguetoad
Car: 08 SL AWD

For about 5.50 US you can go to Advance, Checker, Autozone, NAPA, CarQuest and get clear auto duct tape. The width is right and there's enough on one roll to go from front to rear wheel wells on both sides.

Yes, it's not as elegant as ClearBra, but it works well (I did this June 3rd), is hugely easier, and way less costly.

I hope some Nissan powerfolks are lurking here.

Think of it people: the first thing you do when you get home with your new Rogue baby is not wash & wax it...but duct tape it!

Maybe the tape has another advantage: Two weeks later they resurfaced our highway and some bozo dumped a huge load of raw tar/oil over about a hundred yards. Since they couldn't close the entire road, you had to creep through the goo.

Of course it got all over everything, even with mud guards: Doors, rockers, fenders, hatch, bumpers...even specks on the roof.

The area we're all griping about on the rockers was totally black, rather than the Phantom White. I was able to easily remove the tape. Cleanup was then much easier.

Since I had put my own ClearBra on the hood and fenders, I experimented on removing it vs. cleaning (Tar/Bug Remover and 3M Wax/Adhesive remover).

The ClearBra seems to stand up to the Tar/Bug Remover in the short term. School's out for the long term (discoloring, degradation, etc.) Supposedly it will stand up to some use of TB Remover. The 3M stuff, which I've used for years on fiberglass boats seems to work faster, but looks like it might munch the CB in time.

Removing CB is not too hard, but with the large sheets (hood, bumpers) it sounds like the car is howling in pain and the paint is about to come off any second. And that's with heat, water/alcohol/soap, etc.

That makes me nervous.

So, for the under-door rockers, I'll choose the duct tape every time. You can't see it. It's very easily replaceable if it ever wears through. The adhesive doesn't bleed like regular duct tape. It's much easier to apply. And you can get it just about anywhere...with no freight.

Yes, my R is white and that's a huge advantage. But you can get auto duct tape that's fairly clear and, given the location, might be acceptable until the factory comes up with a fix.

There's another alternative. If you're near a boat yard, see if they'll sell you some 2" shrink-wrap tape. It'll be more expensive, but workable and more durable. The color (usually a UV-enhanced white) will be a bugaboo, though.

Whatever you use, wash and dry the area thoroughly before applying. You might also consider using a wax remover as these cars are shipped on carriers across the briny so have some wax already on them that could compromise the CB/duct tape/SW tape.

HTH

PS--If this rig wasn't brand new, we'd put a band of Rhino Bed Liner there and extend it partway up the doors and fenders for some decent chip protection. Given the color selection, one might could get a gonzo looking Rogue.

Modified by roguetoad at 2:51 PM 7/31/2008

Pescakl1

From what I found on their website, Invisiblemark does only 18" minimum roll if you don't buy enough to open a business.

Thanks for the other two links, looks more promising (Man, you are as good as my wife in google searching ).

Thanks Roguetoad for all the information. For sure, if I don't find something I like, I will take advantage to the fact I will visit your nice country within the next two months, to do some shopping for my car (paint protection film and oil).

jmbones

Avery A9 clear vinyl, rated for 9yrs...

http://www.averygraphics.com/p...GNAGE

Pescakl1

philipa_240sx wrote:http://www.nochip.ca
Just ordered from them a 2"x84" roll of 3M 8mil film.

They are from Kitchener, ON and could pay with Paypal.Shipping and handling is CAD$5.50, for a $13 roll, that is sound OK (not $40 like Xpel).With taxes, it is less than $20 for way enough film to do the job.

Thanks again Philip for the link

philipa_240sx

Actually Kitchener is only 20 min away from me so I plan to visit these NoChip at some point. I have to replace the Gila film on my hood as it's slightly less than a perfect install. It did it during the winter just so I had something.

Pescakl1

philipa_240sx wrote:I have to replace the Gila film on my hood as it's slightly less than a perfect install. It did it during the winter just so I had something.
Is it the full hood or just a 18" or 24" band on the hood?

I have just done the 18" large on the hood as a invisible bug deflector (they put some on the fenders too to prolong the one on the hood). It was more or less the same price as what is advertised on the NoChipp website. It may not be easy to do it on the Rogue because of the nerves on the hood.

philipa_240sx

Mine is only 8" wide as that's all I could find at the time. Hence the reason I want it replaced.

wbloomfield

Well, I got my car back from Nissan, repaired and in good shape. My original dealer, d!ck Scott Nissan did nothing for me. In fack, after being delayed(I complained to them back in March) I finally decided to go to Ann Arbor Nissan who roled out the red carpet to me. Got me in there bump shop for an estimate and within 2 days we set up an appointment for a couple of weeks down the road. This past Monday, I gave them the car and I picked up a rental(Nissan paid for it). By Thurs., I received my car back repainted, chip tape applied and 9 month service done. All on Nissan. It looks great and very OEM, which is very important to me. Ann Arbor Nissan has just got me as a customer. d!ck Scott Nissan could not fix anything without consulting Technical Service which after lots of times checking up with them from the phone or going in personally. It just seemed like they could care less. Last week though, I get a phone call from DS Nissan's service manager. He left something on the phone to call him back. I just ignored the call. Good luck to all of you!!Peace,Chris
philipa_240sx wrote:To All Rogue Owners:

Many members have reported heavy scratching of the paint on the lower doorsills. We believe that the scratching is caused by dirt being trapped between the weatherstripping and the doorsill. Some have reported scratches to the point of showing primer and possibly rust.

Here is a photo of the affected area:Image courtesy member Ryepow

Close-up:Image courtesy member SquiggyFreud

If you have the aforementioned issue of scratching on the inside doorsill, I recommend you report it immediately. Numbers count here. If Nissan starts getting wide spread complaints, they will (hopefully) listen and deal with the issue.

1) Insist on speaking to the Service Manager at the dealership and show them the scratches on your vehicle's doorsills.

2) Make sure the dealer has documented the issue with photos. Take additional photos yourself and keep them on file.

3) Ask the Service Manager to bring the issue to Nissan's attention.

4) Tell the Service Manager to provide updates on what is being done. Better yet, tell him/her you will be calling back within a week for an update.

Try to be diplomatic about the process. If you are not getting any results, contact the dealership manager/owner. If you still don't feel the issue is being addressed, contact Nissan directly:

Nissan Consumer Affairs (USA) P.O. Box 685003 Franklin TN 37068-5003 (800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261) 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Eastern / Central Time / Pacific Time Monday through Friday

Nissan Canada Inc. (Canada) 5290 Orbitor Drive Mississauga, Ontario L4W 4Z5 1-800-387-0122Customer Satisfaction 1-800-268-0764 (Western Canada) 1-800-268-6499 (Eastern Canada)

I will keep this thread open so members can post updates. Off topic posts will be moved to a new thread to avoid clutter.

jmbones

I just put down two strips of Avery A9 clear vinyl on my wifes, came out perfect and you can't even tell it's there. I measured out and cut two pieces that were 66" long and 1.5" high. Easy fix, considering any travel to the dealer is 50 miles one way.

I bought 30' of Avery A9 clear at http://www.harborsales.net

It's just like installing any vinyl stickers or window tint. Use a little soapy water in a spray bottle and a squeegee. You can get the kit at any local auto store or Walmart that contains a nice rubber squeegee and a cutter. They should also have something called "Tint On" which is a soapy substance that you add to water to help apply. Or you can just use Dawn or some sort of liquid dish detergent.

otter
Car: 2008 Rogue SL

I have this problem with my Rouge. I began to notice scratching after only 700 or 800 miles and figured that it would work its way down to the metal in just a few months.

My solution (until Nissan comes up with a fix) was to run some electrical tape down the door sill. This covered the scratches, has prevented it getting worse, looks pretty good, and can be removed easily.

Roguemeister

"I bought 30' of Avery A9 clear at http://www.harborsales.net"

Was that item number A9001O1505 ??

jmbones

Roguemeister wrote:"I bought 30' of Avery A9 clear at http://www.harborsales.net"

Was that item number A9001O1505 ??
No, that is white. For 15"x30' of clear A9, you need A9003OA, "9YR *CLEAR* A9003OA 15" X 30' X PUNCHED".

Punched means it is perforated on each end to go into a vinyl cutter with track wheels. This doesn't matter, as I just cut out the sizes I needed. I'm sure if you called them you can get shorter lengths, but I bought 30 feet because I will be using it for stuff on other vehicles as well and I hate having to pay double shipping to order more of something if I could've gotten enough the first time.

chove1437

Went to the dealer for my first oil change and showed the Maintenance manager the scratches. It was the nicest FU I have ever received. He said it wasn't a design issue. It was a cleanliness issue. He said to just keep it clean.Gave me the standard line..."This is the first I have heard of this".

Anybody know of a Canadian dealership that was more helpful in the Greater Toronto Area?

Anybody know of a product that can be purchased locally through Canadian Tire, Hope Depot or Rona for a fix?

wbloomfield

Sorry to hear that. I am from the SE Michigan area and my dealership was not too reponsive either(d!ck Scott Nissan). I finally got tired of the excuses and went to another dealer(Ann Arbor Nissan). They fixed the problem without any excuses.
chove1437 wrote:Went to the dealer for my first oil change and showed the Maintenance manager the scratches. It was the nicest FU I have ever received. He said it wasn't a design issue. It was a cleanliness issue. He said to just keep it clean.Gave me the standard line..."This is the first I have heard of this".

Anybody know of a Canadian dealership that was more helpful in the Greater Toronto Area?

Anybody know of a product that can be purchased locally through Canadian Tire, Hope Depot or Rona for a fix?

Return to “Rogue Forum”