Scuff Protection: Scratching of paint on lower doorsills

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

I actually know the service manager when he worked at a different Nissan dealer. He knows I dont just complain for the sake of complaining. He told me he would show the pics to the rep. So far no updates yet, I just checked with him.

Paul

philipa_240sx

I have deleted some of the OT posts by myself, MrGib, kerrton and Paulvanharte. I want to keep this thread on topic.

PhilipRogue Forum Moderator

rjchoops
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

rjchoops wrote:Here's what I just did. I took some rubber foam weatherseal I bought at Lowes. The size is 3/4" wide and 5/16" thick in a 10 ft roll but you'll need more for all four doors. However, what I did with this is put it between or should I say inside the already DOOR weather strip. This therefore pushes out the original door seal and makes a tighter seal at the bottom of the door hopefully not allowing any dirt to enter the car. Randy
Does anybody like this solution?

philipa_240sx

No I don't care for it. Dirt can still migrate into the weatherstripping and cause scratching. Reason: there are gaps in the OEM door side weatherstripping as well as the door seams that will allow some dirt to enter from the top. Every time you open the door, the dirt & sand will run down the sill only to be trapped when you close the door again.

Another option for this method would have been to apply the weatherstrip to the vehicle side (against the paint). However, I would use something like EPDM rubber and not open or closed cell foam which may deteriorate over time.

RubenTheRogue
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

Noticing it already on my silver rogue, had it for less than a month....going to call my sales rep tomorrow and see if he can hook me into the service dept.

eskil1u
Car: None yet

I just told the dealership to put some 3M tapes before delivery, cost on them. I insisted that the rust would appear in less than 2 years and it will still be under warranty. And it would be a pain for me and them to fix it. So i am protected until they find a fix.

AndyP
Car: '08 Rogue SL AWD - Gotham Gray, R/B

Have an update on my particular situation. I found the scratches but they had only appeared in the clear coat and hadn't gotten down to the paint yet (I have only had mine for a few weeks now). The official word now that the dealership has looked at my vehicle is that the scratches weren't scratches but were only buildup on top of the clear coat. These things looked pretty awful so I find that to be a bit suspicious. Because of this fact, they treated it as a non-problem and would not take pictures or do anything out of the ordinary. The line they gave me was that all warranty repairs go into a database that is/can be viewed by Nissan directly. They said that anything that could be applied to the area to prevent further "buildup" would be sticky and they couldn't vouch for the adhesive used in such a scenario. I understand that 3M plastic stuff is automotive and the adhesive is not a problem but this is what the dealership is telling me. I spoke at length with the service manager and I thought we had an understanding. Apparently not.

roguemocker
Car: Nissan Rogue `08

AndyP, that is a TOTALLY Unacceptable answer from them! What I did was printed many of these messages and others pics here on this topic and gave it to my service manager AND Owner of the dealership I bought my car from... I was pretty much in their face until they agreed that, even though its still early in the model year, they will keep this info "in the file"... whether or not they were BS'n me I don't know, but I think you should contact the dealership owner at this point.. .... in my opinion...

philipa_240sx

Take it one step further and Contact Nissan Corporate. The contact info is at the top of this post.

ahhbeebee
Car: '08 Rogue SL FWD - Pearl White

Update from Canada:To Date, I've received two phone calls from the corporate office. One acknowledging receipt of my complaint letter, one where they admit they know of this issue and are working towards a solution.

I was also called by the regional rep and he's looking into this further.

Nothing profound, but I've been called at least once every 2 weeks, so I'm still on their radar - I rate this as an expected level of service/attention. If they resolve it, then I'll consider them to have good customer service. Will continue to update as events unfold.

I think everyone should write a letter. The corporate office seems to respond to these. To make it easy on all fellow Rogue'ies, I've attached a template letter you can use. Make sure to edit the bolded areas for your own situation.

Good luck!

ahhbeebee

Your NAME HEREADDRESSCITY, ST/ProvinceZIP/Postal Code

Telephoneemail here

Today’s DateCustomer Satisfaction or Nissan Consumer AffairsNissan Canada Inc or P.O. Box 6850035290 Orbitor Drive Inc or Franklin TN 37068-5003Mississauga, OntarioL4W 4Z5

To Whom It May Concern,

I recently purchased (PURCHASE DATE HERE) a 2008 Nissan Rogue (MODEL HERE) vehicle from a dealership in (YOUR CITY) (YOU DEALER) and wish to log a complaint against what appears to be a defect that is causing scratching in the paint leading to the possibility of rust forming on the vehicle. After having purchased the vehicle for only two weeks I have begun to notice some significant scratches in the paint at the base of where the door closes against the frame of the vehicle body. Please see the enclosed pictures for a detailed description of the issue.

I stopped by the service department at dealership where I purchased the vehicle:

ADDRESS OF YOU DEALER HERE

to advise them of my complaint. After discussing with one of the Service Advisors, (NAME OF PERSON YOU SPOKE WITH), he agreed that there was significant scratches in that area and that the cause was from the weather stripping trapping particles between the door and the doorsill. The Service Advisor told me I was the first to log such a complaint, but after researching and discussing this issue with other 2008 Nissan Rogue owners, it appears that many other owners are experiencing the same issue. In fact, every other owner I have spoken with appears to have the same problem.

I am writing to ask whether Nissan is planning any fixes or solutions for this issue. I am particularly concerned since so much salt is used in our city for snow removal and rust is a major concern for vehicles in (YOU CITY). In the meantime, I will follow the suggestion offered by the Service Advisor, (SERVICE ADVISOR’S NAME) from (DEALER NAME) to add a clear 3M strip to the area to reduce the chance of further scratching although I see this as only a temporary solution. I have concerns that even with plastic film to protect the area, eventually the problem should be addressed with a viable and permanent solution. In addition, the service group at (DEALER NAME) has not offered to provide any solutions other than myself having to pay for repairs or fixes.

I look forward to hearing back from Nissan and hope that you can address my concerns regarding this issue. Please get back to me ASAP either by phone or email regarding what steps I should take in the near future. Sincerely yours,

YOUR NAME HERE

paulvanharte

It appears at least here in Canada that Nissan Canada is aware of it and are working on a fix. I also have brought it to the attention of my service manager who in turn has brought it to the attention of the rep. I have applied some weatherstripping on the door sill which has stopped the problem for now, so all I can do now is wait for Nissan Canada to come up with a permanent solution. I did check the area again this weekend after waxing the vehicle and it appears they may have used different primer ( the chip resistant kind) to presumably be more resistant to chips and or rust??

Paul

philipa_240sx

paulvanharte wrote:It appears at least here in Canada that Nissan Canada is aware of it and are working on a fix.
There's that Canadian spirit of co-operation. Or maybe it's just the beer!

paulvanharte

Well I am originally from Holland, so it's the Dutch stuff(Heineken) I dont care too much for the "watered down" Canadian brew!! No use getting your pants in a knot about the weatherstripping. Although I am keeping an eye on the tranny/ transfer case posts

Paul

philipa_240sx

paulvanharte wrote:I did check the area again this weekend after waxing the vehicle and it appears they may have used different primer ( the chip resistant kind) to presumably be more resistant to chips and or rust??Paul
Yes, the rocker along with the bottom 1/2" or so of the door sill has a chip resistant primer. It appears as a bumpier texture than the surrounding paint.

rjchoops
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

philipa_240sx wrote:No I don't care for it. Dirt can still migrate into the weatherstripping and cause scratching. Reason: there are gaps in the OEM door side weatherstripping as well as the door seams that will allow some dirt to enter from the top. Every time you open the door, the dirt & sand will run down the sill only to be trapped when you close the door again.

Another option for this method would have been to apply the weatherstrip to the vehicle side (against the paint). However, I would use something like EPDM rubber and not open or closed cell foam which may deteriorate over time.
You are correct. My idea DOES NOT work. I just removed all the weather stripping I applied. I'll go with the clear tape for now.Randy

Oniko

Took my car to Fairfield Nissan in Fairfield, CT and they are going to keep the car for the day so the Nissan Rep. can come take pictures and make a report. I will update you later

philipa_240sx

Update - May 28-08:

I spoke again with my Service Manager again. Nissan engineers (not just the rep I saw last time) are planning to return to the dealer within the next 1-2 weeks to review the door sill scratching on several vehicles which may include mine as well. Although he does not believe they have a fix yet, he is encouraged that it has taken the next step so quickly.

Stay tuned.

ahhbeebee

Have you been hounding them or have they contacted you on their own accord? I don't remember, but did you do some sort of temp fix?

Good luck

philipa_240sx

I have been in contact with the Service Manager at my dealer on a weekly basis.

I was going to do the clear paint film 'fix', but I postponed it when the dealer called to have my vehicle examined by Nissan Canada. I am either going to wait until Nissan releases a TSB with a fix, or if not apply the clear film by October.

jhk_rogue

I've read through the various forums and am planning on installing one of the tape products myself. I just don't which one.

The only 3M tape I found is .4" wide. The trimbrite I found is 6" wide so it would need to be cut.

I would like to install this as if it was permanent, just in case...

Is the .4" 3M tape wide enough? It looks like it could be, but I would prefer something wider. The 3M online store seems to only have this one.Regarding the trimbrite, I am concerned about being able to cut it straight enough that it looks good.

Suggestions? Thanks, John

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I ordered the 6" 3M film rolls (you specify whatever length you want and pay by the foot), and I'm not worried about cutting it to width at all. Just use a straight edge to guide your cut, and if you happen to make a cut that isn't so straight, just hide that edge by wrapping it around the bottom lip of the door sill by like an 1/8 inch. Just make sure the surfaces are prepped well, including the underside of the sill if you plan to wrap it around like I described.

jhk_rogue

I can't find 6" 3M tape. Do you have a link to where you bought it?I think I would prefer cutting this to width rather than just using the .4" tape.

Thanks, John

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I ordered from http://www.invisiblemask.com

The roll stuff is a little hard to find, but it's there in different widths.

ahhbeebee

Just got a call from my local service rep. - He called since I wrote a few complaints on the online customer service poll. Common theme, it pays to let them know you aren't pleased with this problem.

By the sounds of it, he has spoken with the Corporate office about the issue, its being 'studied' by the engineers and he expects an official fix to be announced shortly. Sounds like they will paint over the area, then apply some clear protective tape over the area. Hmm.. this sounds familiar. Maybe they can reuse the tape I've already installed?

bmeck16
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue, Phantom White

Hmmm. I just got my Rogue two days ago and am wondering what is the best course of action to make sure I don't get those scratches. Would that clear tape be something my dealer's service department should have on hand? Or am I better off trying to find some myself?

philipa_240sx

Many owners are using the clear paint protection film method. Normally this product is installed on the leading edge of the hood to prevent stone chips, and it should work well for this application.

The film is not an OEM Nissan item so I doubt the dealer would sell you a roll. Try an Auto Parts store, places that specialize in paint protection film and auto tinting shops. EBay is another source.

SquiggyFreud

ahhbeebee wrote:Just got a call from my local service rep. - He called since I wrote a few complaints on the online customer service poll. Common theme, it pays to let them know you aren't pleased with this problem.
Do you have a link for this site?

ahhbeebee

Not exactly. It was a customer satisfaction survey they mailed out about 1 month after I purchased the car. You can either mail the response back or use their online version of the questionnaire.

I guess my point is that if you have one of these make sure you make some noise if you have a beef with this issue. The company seems pretty responsive to complaints.

froger25
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

Hello everyone. I have an Iridium Graphite Rogue that I purchased a bit over a month ago. I could tell the marking was beginning. I saw on here that someone used clear tape for it so i went searching on the internet.

I found the website http://www.xpel.com sells paint protecting "skin" for cars. I ordered a 12 ft bulk roll of 2" xpel. It goes on kind of like tint for your windows. It is very thick much more so than tape. I have not noticed the first problem since I applied this stuff nor do I ever expect any again. This stuff is tough and really seems to do the job.

Hope this helps some of you!

Return to “Rogue Forum”