Scuff Protection: Scratching of paint on lower doorsills

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
philipa_240sx

I had an opportunity to inspect an '05 Murano last week. It uses a similar doorsill design to the Rogue except the weatherstripping is integrated into the body/doorsill rather than the door. I did not notice any scratching, etc.

If Nissan had a design that worked, why did they change it? I wonder if it has something to do with the fact Nissan UK engineers designed the Qashqai upon which the Rogue is based?

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Some other new vehicles are starting to use this stupid design too, a friend bought an '08 Ford F350 and it has pretty much the identical door design as the Rogue....very weird.

tempest.runner
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue SL FWD

I'm resurrecting this thread because I just talked with my dealer about this concern and My new vehicle has less than 500km on it, and even though I have no chips or rust in my paint yet, there was the start of some wear and tear. I had the dealer apply the 3M tape. Paid $100+taxes out of pocket for this. I called Nissan Canada to state my concerns and the lady I spoke with on the phone stated this;

-It's great you've been proactive and reading up on this concern using the forums, but we can not document this in our caseid file... however, I have wrote down everything you've stated about the concern and we will contact the dealer you visited and we will speak to them about this.

My dealer stated to me that they've had a few people express their concerns about this and one guy had quite a bit of rust as a result of not having this 3M tape applied. My dealer highly recommended this tape and told me he considers it a defect in the vehicle.

So I hope they come to the conclusion that;

1) Reimburse me for what I paid OOP.2) Create/or help keep that ball rolling for a TSB in regards to this.

philipa_240sx

Since my initial conversations with both my dealer and the regional service rep from Nissan Canada during the summer of 2008, I have heard absolutely nothing. Admittedly I gave up on it and just purchased and applied the protective film myself. About $25 for the film plus my time.

tempest.runner
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue SL FWD

philipa_240sx wrote:Since my initial conversations with both my dealer and the regional service rep from Nissan Canada during the summer of 2008, I have heard absolutely nothing. Admittedly I gave up on it and just purchased and applied the protective film myself. About $25 for the film plus my time.
Well Nissan called me back and said they feel it's not a defect in the vehicle and that they will not reimburse me for my out of pocket expense to correct it. I'm glad that I've read this thread before I purchased my Rogue to take corrective measures in preventing a problem happening sooner than later, but at the same time, I feel unsatisfied with Nissan's response for this concern.

AznJohn22
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue

where is the url for 3M tape? Thanks!

I just notice it has gotten worst for my car. I'm upset my car has these scratch marks on the doorsills.

philipa_240sx

AznJohn22 wrote:where is the url for 3M tape? Thanks!
It's probably buried earlier in this post but here are a few places you can buy it:

USA:

Invisible Mask - They sell kits and bulk rolls. Bulk is pricey as it comes in 12" wide widths.

Clear Mask - Bulk and custom cut kits

Canada:

No Chip - Bulk 3M Paint Protection Film

These are just a few examples. I am not affiliated with or endorse these suppliers. You can also use 3M's dealer search:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... re_to_Buy/

Xpel is another type of film. You can find many dealers for this product as well:

http://www.xpel.com/products/dealersearch.asp

AznJohn22
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue

philipa_240sx wrote:
AznJohn22 wrote:where is the url for 3M tape? Thanks!
It's probably buried earlier in this post but here are a few places you can buy it:

USA:

Invisible Mask - They sell kits and bulk rolls. Bulk is pricey as it comes in 12" wide widths.

Clear Mask - Bulk and custom cut kits

Canada:

No Chip - Bulk 3M Paint Protection Film

These are just a few examples. I am not affiliated with or endorse these suppliers. You can also use 3M's dealer search:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... re_to_Buy/

Xpel is another type of film. You can find many dealers for this product as well:

http://www.xpel.com/products/dealersearch.asp

i'm looking at clear mark's website. I got down to the Nissan Rogue but there are few options. Which one is it for the door sill? Thanks!

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

No need to buy vehicle-specific strips, just buy the rolls and cut it into strips to cover the area as many Rogue owners have done. It's really easy and effective, and since it is just a long straight strip there is no need to have this pre-cut by the manufacturer. Also there are no pre-cut strips available for this part of the Rogue that I know of, the pre-cut film will almost always be for external parts including the hood, front end, side mirrors, etc.. which would be impossible to cut accurately yourself as these surfaces are complex and irregular. The good news is the rolls or bulk film is much cheaper than pre-cut, I think I paid 12 bucks for my 3M roll and it works great!

mikess
Car: 2013 Rogue S with SE package Amethyst Black

Is this problem still there for the 2013 Rogue models or has Nissan fixed it.

mikess
Car: 2013 Rogue S with SE package Amethyst Black

So, no one knows if this issue has been resolved in the later models? I have a 2013 and I wan't to know if I should be putting in this 3M plastic tape on that area or not.

mpattdu
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

I doubt Nissan changed the design of the door sill weather stripping between 2010 and 2013 and I don't think there has been a TSB for this. Look at some of the pics that people posted earlier in this tread and compare to your doors to see if they are the same. In your case it probably pays to be proactive and put some strips on now rather than wait and see if scratches start to show up.

kcob
Car: 2015 Rogue SL AWD

Has anyone tried the following product or something similar on their 2015 Rogue?

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Universal-G ... op?ie=UTF8

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

Are you looking to protect the rockers? I use the 3M product on my Rogue and it works great on the rockers. There appear to be, over time, a couple spots near the edge of the tape that have lost their adhesion and dirt collects. Other than that, it serves the purpose (I use mine to fix the flaw on the first generation Rogues where rocks chip/rust the rockers).

I am sure that this product can provide the same protection. Just remember that it is best, if you can, to install in one long piece versus joining two pieces midway (since I assume you will do both the front and rear rockers).

kcob
Car: 2015 Rogue SL AWD

I was thinking of putting this on the door entry where the illuminated scuff plate go. Of course instead of the scuff plates.

I am noticing that these eventually come off at the edges and attract dust and also of incidents where they damange the paint during removal/replacement. Not sure if this is worth it or if scuff plates are better. I saw another poster mentioned scuff plates from aliexpress that look good.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Um, yeah... we've already got an extensive thread on this subject. Merged.

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

kcob wrote:I was thinking of putting this on the door entry where the illuminated scuff plate go. Of course instead of the scuff plates.

I am noticing that these eventually come off at the edges and attract dust and also of incidents where they damange the paint during removal/replacement. Not sure if this is worth it or if scuff plates are better. I saw another poster mentioned scuff plates from aliexpress that look good.
My 3M film only has issue in the corners, and I assume those are issues related to my install and not with the product. I would not hesitate to use 3M if you want it to last. I would let the look you want be the deciding factor, because the 3M film is great if that's what you want.

Return to “Rogue Forum”