Safety question

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
lil_hustler_620

I was wondering if I ran 15" tires and rims on the back and 14s on the front would this cause any  damage to the driveshaft and u joints? make them wear any quicker or break prematurely? or is it perfectly fine?

Thank you

datsunexcells

lil_hustler_620,  On a 2 wheel drive  vehicle , it shouldn't matter if the wheel/tire diameter is different. On a 4 wheel drive vehicle, different wheel/tire diameters equate into different front and rear axle speeds, that would stress all the drive train members.  Depending on your driving habits, bigger/wider tires on the rear axle, giving you better traction, might suffer if you're agressive at accelerating. Again your drive train would suffer. John

lil_hustler_620

Thanks for your input. I'm definately not building this truck for drag racing or to use it as a burnout machine. I like to conserve fuel and repair cost and re-use some old toyota rims and tires thus, running them on the back I don't have enough useable 14 tires haha . Mine is a 2 wheel drive model so I guess i could run 15s in the rear as long as I drive correctly.

Thanks

Return to “Datsun 620”