S14 track day coilovers advice

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
SX APPEAL
Car: 06 G35 Coupe 6MT
95 Maxima SE 5MT

Hey guys, figured I'd post this in here, away from the hellaflush fanboys in the general forum. I've been building an S14 for a few months now. While it will still technically be a daily driver, I plan on taking it to quite a few PDX's and track days, that type of thing, so I want it to be primarily optimized for the track. Plus I'm young enough to not mind getting beat up on public roads :chuckle: I've been looking at different coilover setups, trying to find something better than just the cookie cutter moar low japanese crap. Options I'm considering are KW Variant 3, Fortune Auto 510 series, or the Koni/GC combo. Not concerned with going super low, although I have modified the suspension in places to achieve a better roll center with lowered suspension. And I'm not completely ignorant in the areas of car control and suspension dynamics either, so adjustability doesn't scare me, but I still want something I can grow into as I gain more experience. I'd appreciate any input, advise, or first hand experience you guys have. Thanks

flohtingPoint
Car: 2004 Z16 Corvette Z06

GC/Koni would be your best bet as it'd help you save cash. I dont run a rear sway on my time trial car, nor do I run a rear sway on my autocross car. Rates for your springs is going to determine on what tracks you're at.

BTW, if you're going to get more serious about the track, I'd really advise cutting down costs, as the car you have right now is outclassed due to the modifications you've done (stuff you should not worry about now but think about in the future). Cutting down the costs will allow you to source another car for a proper build so you can have a competitive vehicle.

SX APPEAL
95 Maxima SE 5MT

Thanks fP, don't suppose you've made it as far as Heartland Park in Topeka KS in your motoring ventures, have you? There and Gateway Int'l in St Louis are the closest PDX events to me.

flohtingPoint

SX APPEAL wrote:Thanks fP, don't suppose you've made it as far as Heartland Park in Topeka KS in your motoring ventures, have you? There and Gateway Int'l in St Louis are the closest PDX events to me.
Oddly enough, I lived in St Louis for a year during '07 but I didn't do any motorsports at all (job was insanely taxing and living downtown hindered keeping a race car).

What is the track surface like (how smooth, how flat, track layout, etc)? Some people you should speak to would be any S13 ITA (Improved Touring A) drivers if there are any in your area. Those would really give you good first hand advice about spring rates.

SX APPEAL
95 Maxima SE 5MT

Sorry I've never made it any farther than the grandstands at Gateway. But once again thanks for the advice.

flohtingPoint

SX APPEAL wrote:Sorry I've never made it any farther than the grandstands at Gateway. But once again thanks for the advice.
Not a problem. Something you can look into is trying to find ITA S13 setup's online so you can harvest some of it. There are several forums out there for improved touring where you can ask questions regarding their spring rates.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

Someone needs to come visit me for an AX up here at crazy altitude....

SX APPEAL
95 Maxima SE 5MT

haha well I'm a hell of a lot closer than fP is, but I'd lay money that he makes it there first lol...

flohtingPoint

PEZi wrote:Someone needs to come visit me for an AX up here at crazy altitude....
There is a small chance that I might be nationally driving a DS car this year. I dunno if I'll make it all the way to Colorado, but possibly close.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

i might make it to nationals in the civic... that is purely money related though

i just want someone to come up to my altitude and laugh at how painfully slow their car accelerates because of it

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”