S13 Silvia Front Brake Pads

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
two_tone
Car: 1988 Nissan Silvia Q's

S13 Silvia Front Brake Pads

Postby two_tone » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:32 pm

Hey Guys,

My '88 Silvia (S13) is metal to metal on front pads. Looking for some U.S. equivalent brakes to get me by.

I've tried 240SX, Sentra, Altima, and Maxima pads, but none fit.

Local part stores aren't very helpful either when I bring them these JDM goodies :frown:

Pictures below. Apparently, the pads were manufactured by Hitachi. Nissan part numbers 8G15 (outer pad) and 8G13(inner pad)

The Silvia pads, when compared to 240SX pads, are inverted when it comes to the "tabs" or "ears".

Sentra pads were the closest shape, but they're too tall (y-axis) and hit the hat of the rotor.

Maxima pads do not fit, as others have suggested, due to those belonging to a dual-piston caliper.

Background on the car: Second-owned 1988 Nissan Silvia Q's, CA18DE, 75k kilometers -so basically this is it's first brake job.

Eventually she's getting an overall upgraded brake system, but I just want to get rolling again. Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've thought about seeing if the brake brackets off a 240SX would fit without replacing the caliper; that way I can use 240SX brake pads. The rotor is 10" like the 240's...can't find any in the scrap yards around to test this theory though.

Thanks,

two_tone

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Re: S13 Silvia Front Brake Pads

Postby Rogue One » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:05 pm

How to upload pictures on NICOclub:
using IMGUR
using TINYPIC

two_tone
Car: 1988 Nissan Silvia Q's

Postby two_tone » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:11 am

Apologies for incorrectly uploading images.

Here they are:

Thanks!

two_tone

Cgeigert
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx

Postby Cgeigert » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:22 pm

Those are the slightly larger front calipers found on some 180sx and Silvia (usually K's I thought). There is a combo of pads and rotors from other Nissan models that works, I think maybe it was like 91 Nissan rotors and 88 Maxima pads or something like that. There are also some JDM brand pads that are made for that caliper (JIC, endless, etc.). I have a set I'm putting on a Silvia Q's so I'm looking for that info right now. I know it's on the internet in multiple threads, but google sucks for searching.

Cgeigert
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx

Postby Cgeigert » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:44 am

This is the info. If you already have the JDM set up then looks like you just need the Maxima pads.

('93-'97) 1st generation Nissan altima rotors. These are 280x22mm and have a 4x114 bolt pattern.

('89-'99) 3rd and 4th generation Nissan Maxima brake calipers

('89-'99) 3rd and 4th generation Nissan Maxima brake caliper mounting brackets

('89-'99) 3rd and 4th generation Nissan Maxima brake caliper mounting bracket hardware kit

('89-'99) 3rd and 4th generation Nissan Maxima brake pads

thebestasbestos
Car: 1990 Nissan Silvia K's

Postby thebestasbestos » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:26 am

Did you ever get this figured out? I have a 1990 Silvia K's (CA18DET), and I'm having trouble figuring out the right USDM components that will fit on my car. I just want to mildly upgrade my pads and rotors for street use, but I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information about which parts will work.

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Postby NukeKS14 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:06 pm

thebestasbestos wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:26 am
Did you ever get this figured out? I have a 1990 Silvia K's (CA18DET), and I'm having trouble figuring out the right USDM components that will fit on my car. I just want to mildly upgrade my pads and rotors for street use, but I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information about which parts will work.
An alternative is to convert to front 240SX calipers and use the 240s brake pads if you're having trouble. The 240sx calipers should bolt right up to the Silvia.

Here are 240sx front calipers for you to compare yours to: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nis ... liper,1704

and brake pads. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nis ... e+pad,1684

Should be able to convert over without modifying anything and keep your old hardware, though, it may be worth upgrading your brake lines while you're in there already. GKtech sells some nice braided ones.

thebestasbestos

Postby thebestasbestos » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:53 pm

NukeKS14 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:06 pm
thebestasbestos wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:26 am
An alternative is to convert to front 240SX calipers and use the 240s brake pads if you're having trouble. The 240sx calipers should bolt right up to the Silvia.

Here are 240sx front calipers for you to compare yours to: <a class="vglnk" href="https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nis ... liper,1704" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>rockauto</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>en</span><span>/</span><span>catalog</span><span>/</span><span>nissan</span><span>,</span><span>1990</span><span>,</span><span>240sx</span><span>,</span><span>2</span><span>.</span><span>4l</span><span>+</span><span>l4</span><span>,</span><span>1208977</span><span>,</span><span>brake</span><span>+&+</span><span>wheel</span><span>+</span><span>hub</span><span>,</span><span>caliper</span><span>,</span><span>1704</span></a>

and brake pads. <a class="vglnk" href="https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nis ... e+pad,1684" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>rockauto</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>en</span><span>/</span><span>catalog</span><span>/</span><span>nissan</span><span>,</span><span>1990</span><span>,</span><span>240sx</span><span>,</span><span>2</span><span>.</span><span>4l</span><span>+</span><span>l4</span><span>,</span><span>1208977</span><span>,</span><span>brake</span><span>+&+</span><span>wheel</span><span>+</span><span>hub</span><span>,</span><span>brake</span><span>+</span><span>pad</span><span>,</span><span>1684</span></a>

Should be able to convert over without modifying anything and keep your old hardware, though, it may be worth upgrading your brake lines while you're in there already. GKtech sells some nice braided ones.
Awesome, thanks! Someone else told me the same thing today, and I think I will go ahead and do this. It seems that the JDM zenki and kouki S13 have different brakes from each other and from the USDM S13. And there are no other Nissan pads that seem to fit the zenki calipers. Swapping in the USDM brakes will keep me from having to buy brake pads from Japan whenever they need replacing.

thebestasbestos

Postby thebestasbestos » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:15 pm

I think I'm going to just do the Q45 calipers while I'm replacing the brakes. They're 280mm compared to the stock JDM S13 zenki's 250mm rotors.

But I plan to use B15 SE-R rotors since they're already 4x114.3 lug pattern like my car is. They're thinner than the Q45 rotors (22mm vs 28mm) but thicker than my stock ones (18mm). I've seen people say this is a bad idea because it could overextend the caliper, but with a sliding caliper, I can't imagine this actually being an issue.

I'd be interested in anyone's input if they've fit thinner rotors.

thebestasbestos

Postby thebestasbestos » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:13 am

Oops, the Q45 calipers aren't 280mm of course — they're 2-piston calipers that fit 280mm rotors.

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Postby NukeKS14 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:00 am

I've converted to J30 front brakes on one of my pignose hatches back in the day. granted, I used the J30 rotors and just redrilled them for a 4 lug pattern (using a drill press and some luck. I think I bolted the OEM rotors to them, face to face and centered the hubs and centerpunched/drilled the other 3 holes off of that as a template.)

To directly answer your question, I don't know that it'll be an issue at first with new pads but, as the pads and rotor wear down, near end of life, you're probably going to be extending the pistons beyond their intended range. I'd try to use a set where the rotor is properly matched to the caliper. There are tons of good options for these cars if your main goal is a modest upgrade and better availability of pads and rotors.

Is budget an issue? clearance (what wheels are you running?) It's fun to imaginarily-spend other peoples money but if we know what your considerations are we can probably be more useful.

If you can fit 300zx front brakes, I think this is about the best budget friendly kit that doesn't require you to redrill the rotors yourself or outright swap to 5 lug hubs - https://www.silverminemotors.com/240sx- ... -brake-kit

"All rotors are drilled to fit any stock four or five lug 240sx bolt pattern (which is 4x4.5 and 5x4.5)."

So you'd be just using the OEM Z32 front pads. the downside here is that it may effect your pedal feel and then you're into a BMC upgrade potentially, but any time you start messing with your caliper sizing to a large extent you're going to have that.

FWIW my current S14 had Z32 front calipers and stock S14 calipers on the stock-S14 brake booster and BMC and I thought pedal feel was just fine. It's a very touchy subject though so be warned that no two people are going to have the same opinion on pedal feel.

As a last note, I'm not sure what your intentions are for brake fluid either, but for a street driven car that occasionally sees track time, I used to run ATE Typ 200 brake fluid. As a budget performance level fluid I've found it to be at a really good spot versus the Motul since 99% of the cars life is spent on the street. It's been a little tough to come by and I've since switched over to Bosch fluid and am very happy with it for the pricepoint as well. Note that DOT 5.0 and 5.1 are NOT the same thing. This is DOT 5.1, is NOT silicone based, and it IS compatible with DOT 3 and 4. >Link to the Bosch brake fluid I'm talking about<

DOT 5.0 is silicone based which makes it incompatible with the other legacy grades. This is hugely important to note.

Anyhow I figured if you're looking for an upgrade and are going to be in there anyhow replacing the front calipers and potentially the lines, you may as well flush the fluid out while you're at it. cheap insurance even for a daily driven commuter car that most neglect.

Good luck on your plans though. Lots of knowledge and info out there. I feel like at this stage in time, just about everything has been tested out on these cars so you're in a great place to take your time and do some good research instead of being a guinea pig.

*edit*
Yeah, I was sure I didn't come up with that idea on my own back in the day, here's an article showing some common S-chassis brake sizes and redrilling 5 lug rotors for 4 lug pattern. https://sr20tuning.net/mods/front-brake-upgrade/

thebestasbestos

Postby thebestasbestos » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:10 am

Thanks for all the info! I’ve gone ahead with the Q45 front calipers and SE-R rotors, and I’m just going to use an extra shim or two to make up for the rotor thickness.

My goal is a streetable car that will rarely see track time. I decided against the Z32 brakes because I didn’t want to mess with the BMC, but who knows, maybe in the future!

I went with Centric OEM-style rotors, Goodridge lines, and Stoptech ceramic pads. Still waiting on the pads to do the install, but I’m feeling confident in this setup.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”