S13 Power Folding Mirror Install

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

positronone wrote:Getting ready to do those conversions, sweet! For the power folding mirrors, the nine wires that you have will work, as you already know, the harness that I got had 10 wires but I only used nine. It had two solid green wires and I only used one of them, still haven't figured out exactly what the other green wire was for? Your mirror harness is good to go as well.
Thanks for confirmation!! I just dropped by RadioShack and picked up male/female 6 and 9 molex connectors and some wires.
positronone wrote:I didn't swap out the bases, I just took my USDM mirrors off and put the JDM mirrors on...no problems they just bolt right on the same way. I have two mirrors from two different year models so you shouldn't have any problems. I just didn't notice any difference between the US and JDM bases.
Very good!! I'd like to use JDM triangle bases because my USDM bases have many rock chips. That's one of reasons I didn't want to swap them.
positronone wrote:I would like to know how you got the mirrors broke down, for the life of me I couldn't get mine apart to swap out the glass. I would advise you to do this because what the guy says in the tech article about not being able to adjust the drivers side USDM glass all the way is true.
It's easy. Just use flat head screw driver and it'll pop right out. I'll take some pics for you tonight, so you can pop it out without breaking it.

If you break it somehow, you can get new ones from here.http://www.courtesyparts.com/M...-MGLHh ... /M...-MGRH
positronone wrote:Let me take a look at my climate pics and get back with you on the climate conversion.
Cool, man. You should have done a write up for digital climate control too. Or it's already out there and I missed it? Anyway, as usual thanks for all this great info, positronone.

EDIT: Maybe base swap is only for s14???? Check this thread. s14 won't fold all the way with USDM base on the driver's side.

zer...13714
Modified by 94_240sx at 11:44 AM 11/16/2007

240on430
Car: 1993 240SX SE

i was able to switch the right glass but i guess my right mirror is not original? dunno

positron1
Car: Project: 1993 Nissan 240SX Coupe SR
Daily: 2010 Honda Civic Coupe

94_240sx wrote:It's easy. Just use flat head screw driver and it'll pop right out. I'll take some pics for you tonight, so you can pop it out without breaking it.

If you break it somehow, you can get new ones from here.http://www.courtesyparts.com/M...-MGLHh ... /M...-MGRH

Cool, man. You should have done a write up for digital climate control too. Or it's already out there and I missed it? Anyway, as usual thanks for all this great info, positronone.

Modified by 94_240sx at 11:44 AM 11/16/2007
Thanks for the info, in the meantime this is the thread that I used to do my conversion zerothread?id=94307

94_240sx

I played with folding mirror and switch last night and I figured all out. It was easier than I thought. Wiring diagram from FSM helped a lot. I still have a couple of more things to take care of before starting this. I'll do a write up on top of yours since I have to create a complete harness and replace mirror covers because mines are painted(I left bases in black though).

Here you go. It's just a clip on. I've removed and installed so many times and never broke clip or base plate, so you can just go ahead and replace your JDM glass with USDM one.

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

I've been trying to get a set for 5months now since driving the 180sx down here for 3months lol. Became a habit and now I miss it

positron1

94_240sx wrote:I played with folding mirror and switch last night and I figured all out. It was easier than I thought. Wiring diagram from FSM helped a lot. I still have a couple of more things to take care of before starting this. I'll do a write up on top of yours since I have to create a complete harness and replace mirror covers because mines are painted(I left bases in black though).

Here you go. It's just a clip on. I've removed and installed so many times and never broke clip or base plate, so you can just go ahead and replace your JDM glass with USDM one.
Cool thanks! I'm gonna swap those out when I get the car back on the road. As far the digi-climate conversion, I just followed the instructions on ericherm's thread completely and it works. I'll try the auto function too someday because I do plan to reinstall the A/C.

94_240sx

Okay, I installed JDM power folding mirrors on my car and BASE must be swapped. Angle is not right, so no matter how I adjust the mirrors, I can't see. It's because folding mirrors are from RHD car. You must take whole assembly apart and swap the base which is a metal piece. I'm doing it in this week, so I'll take some pics.

positron1

Cool man. By the way, I still don't have the car back on the road so I haven't been able to swap those mirrors out.

94_240sx

Quote »Cool man. By the way, I still don't have the car back on the road so I haven't been able to swap those mirrors out.[/quote]No wonder you didn't mention about mirrors!!! Yeah, you won't be able to see well, so you will have to take them apart and swap the base.

94_240sx

Okay, I swapped the bases, and it worked just fine. posi, I hope you didn't get rid of your old mirrors. You need them. If you just swap the whole mirror assemblies without swapping the bases on your USDM s13, your passenger will see things better than you because JDM mirrors are for the RHD configuration. Anyway, here you go.

As you can see, angles are different on USDM and JDM bases.

There's a notch on the base, but it's on the other side of screw holes as you can see. You have to grind it down.

Outside trims are different too. It's hard to notice this unless you have them side by side.

I just used a Dremel to grind it down like this. You will have to make sure to tighten 3 screws to secure internal and base.

Final product is on the left side. JDM internal on USDM base and trim.

To disassemble JDM power folding mirrors, you will have to cut the wires and reconnect them later. If you remove pins fron the plug, you don't have to cut it, but I don't think that's a good idea.

All done!!! I put a mirror back on, installed on my car and yes, I was able to see with no problem.

When you take them apart, you will have to look for the screws because there's some sponge/foam on the back. I saw people prefer black JDM power folding mirrors on eBay, but actually color doesn't matter since you only need internals. USDM power mirrors and manual mirrors have same bases BTW. Let me know if you have any Qs.

positron1

Dang man you went all out! Props to you for providing pics and info on fixing this problem. I plan to follow your lead as soon as I can. Good job!

sr20detRcr1
Car: 92 240sx

what about doing this on a base coupe, w manual mirrors

TK_Encore
Car: 1990 240sx

yea mine has manual mirrors to, did u know how im supposed to wire those up?? would really appreciate it

RB26FORREST
Car: 92 NISSAN 240SX

sr20detRcr1 and TK_Encore i just finished wiring up my s13 jdm power folding mirrors in my 1992 base model coupe that had manual mirrors if you would like i can post a write up of how i did it it is not that hard but you will need to make your own harnnes. let me know if you would like a write up and i will go take them off my car and get some pics and wiring diagrams posted.

highvoltage_ga16det
Car: 1997 Nissan Sentra 1.6L / 1991 Nissan 240SX 2.4L

Please. That would be greatly appreciated.

89twoforty
Car: 89 fastback

I would appreciate it as well.

Keep us updated.

RB26FORREST

ok cool i get tomorrow off work so i will take some pics and find the wiring dieagram i wrote up, i think i have pics of when i made my harrnes still to.Hijacker posted this on the first page this is almost how i did mine you can read this thread while i go get pics and what not of mine. here is the link again zerothread?id=77995
Modified by RB26FORREST at 12:12 PM 8/18/2008

TK_Encore

thanks i wanna put mine on already lol

NIzmoS13
Car: s13 93 240sx

awesome write up.. two kouki for you.....

RB26FORREST

The pics i have are being uploaded as i type this i only have dial up so that will take a while but every thing should be up by morning.

puerkone
Car: 1989 Nissan 240SX SE-R

Thats great mirrors man. I was just wondering if any of you guys could help me out install a digital climate control unit. I need desperate help I been trying to figure it out for weeks and still have no hope.

zerothread?id=361099

positron1

I'll help if I can.

RB26FORREST

OK well here is the photos i have from when i did my jdm power folding mirror swap on my manual base model 240sx s13.

what you need

first off ignore my messy shop floor! thanks

here is a diagram of the wires on my mirrors and switch

and here is a diagram of the way i wired it all up

i made my harness disconct at the center for easy routing thu the ruber groments on the doors. here is what it looked like finished

and here it is apart

and here is how i made it

first i ran 7 wires from switch to center of dashand a 8th wire about 8-10 in. long for the groundit should look like this

then i ran a 9th wire from switch to fuse box and two sets of 5 wires each for the mirrors on each side. from mirrors to center of dash.it should now look like this.

then connect the switch to the set of 9 wires that go from switch to center of dash. it does not matter in what order right now just the ground and 12v power need to be hooked up to the right switch wires.just solder and heat shirnk them together one by one

then put male slide connectors on the other end of the 7 wires and a fuse tap on the end of the 12v power wire. do nothing at the other end of the ground wire.

now put female slide connectors on one end of the mirror wire sets.and wire up the mirror plug to the other end of these wires. it does not matter to whitch wire they go.now all you have to do is follow the above wiring diagram of how i wired it up and connect the right male and female slide connectors to thear right coolors. and just in case you may have mixed up a wire or to test to see if it works in side first. i used a battery charger as a power source.

if all goes well number or lable your slide connectors so you now where they all go and take it apart to get readyto put in car.

then just follow every thing from the first page to route your new power mirror harness. then plug the 12v power wire you put a fuse tap on before and in the factory mirror fuse slot if you want to take out the fuse box you can just add the wire to that slot as power is already provided to it. but the fuse tap works just as well and the same. add a #10 fuse to the tap ground the ground wire to the trans tunnle and you are ready to go put every thing back together and you now have jdm power folding mirrors on your base model s13 that came with manual mirrors.

when i put my mirrors on i used the US base but my driver mirror did not fold in as much as the pass. side did so i took them off and i use the jdm base with the US mirror glass and i have no problem seeing any thing.

installed

iam not good with write ups so if you have any Q's feel free to ask.

positron1

Impressive, this will be useful to a lot of people. Nice job and excellent detail!

RB26FORREST

Thanks positron_

89twoforty
Car: 89 fastback

Nice positron_ and RB26FORREST.

Thanks for the write ups. =]

RB26FORREST

No problem

TK_Encore

perfect i cant wait to get mine hooked up

94_240sx

I have some update on this.

My power folding mirrors originally came with a Skyline power folding mirror switch(center), but I didn't like the vertical orientation, so found 180sx switch(right). Recently, I found an s14 switch(left) with a heated mirror option and I couldn't pass it since it's super rare. My mirrors don't have heated option, but I figured I could use the switch for something else in the future like fog lights.

There was a problem with this s14 switch though. If I adjust the mirrors, a light came on heated switch. I took it apart and found out that the rubber piece on the right was slightly off the track.

There's this tiny bulb for the heated mirror switch.

I was curious, so I took apart 180sx switch too. It was simpler than an s14 switch. All of them are made by a company called 'NILES' for Nissan.

180sx switch(left) was on my car, and I wanted to replace it with an s14 switch.

This is how you create a harness with Molex connector from Radio Shack. You need 9 pin ones. I got the idea from Hijacker's thread.

There's an extra green wire goes to heated mirror. Since I don't have heated mirrors, I left it this way.

Old harness and new harness side by side.

This is Molex connector on the car. I pulled the wires from left and right side mirrors and connected to it. Now, it's just a plug and play.

Quarter window switch is on center console, so I installed the power folding mirror switch on lower dash cover.

That's about it.

positron1

This is excellent information man, thanks for the update! Clean install as usual on your car. Where did you score that S14 switch?

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”