S13 cracked Dash owners***Review & PICS How to***

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
reeskm
Car: 1991 Nissan 180sx RHD

Do these guys make RHD dashes? Mine has the famous spider-cracking going on :-(

pileofherpes
Car: 240sx

It looks kinda shiny. How is the glare on a sunny day?

Thanks

awesomenick
Car: coupe love.

If I cared about how my car looked, I would seriously consider getting one of these. But that's the last of my worries.

blackieblack
Car: 240sx s13

for me this is honestly my only option.

VinceSez
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

wow that looks awesome... might have to buy one to replace my dashmat in the summer for a cleaner look =)))

karmapolice991
Car: 240sx

Looks better than before but I don't really like it. I don't think a large area like a dash should be made out of plastic It looks like it came out of a Geo or a fisher-price mobile. You could have wrapped your cracked dash with new vinyl or suede for less $$ than buying that.

ShinHed
Car: 1998 S14, 1993 S13 coupe, 1986 720

AZhitman wrote:For all the "haters" from the other thread, I challenge you to find a better (and cheaper) alternative.

That is the sweetness!!

BTW, it is $161 shipped, NICO members ONLY. You MUST call and give them your NICO screen name to order.
Hello,

I'm one of the haters from the other threads and I'd just like to say, maybe your eyesight is going because it looks like plasticky sh*t. I bet a cheaper, better looking solution is in your backyard.

It shoulda been satin instead of gloss.

Sincerely,Shinhed Ogbot

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

^

homeslicej2
Car: 1990 S13 SR'd hatch

redtop91 wrote:^

boriquaS13
Car: 92 240sx

Haters will always hate. It doesn't look that bad, smoother transitions would be nice but for the price its not that bad.

I own two 240's one pig one chuki they both have cracked dashes I'm contemplating ordering the coverlay also for both of them. I would like to see the updated transition though.

Philsnotfalling
Car: 90 hatch 93 coupe

The cover looks great. way better than wasting time swapping out a dash that will eventually crack anyways.

last week a friend laughed at my dash for being cracked and his wasn't. Then his cracked a few days later in the same spot, right above the gauge cluster. haha, I'm laughing now. I need to find time to order one of these while I'm at work.

I still say... Door Panels!!

Dammitboy
Car: 92' Nissan 240

ttt

Loki
Car: 1994 Nissan 240SX Convertible
2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2001 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning

Philsnotfalling wrote:The cover looks great. way better than wasting time swapping out a dash that will eventually crack anyways.

last week a friend laughed at my dash for being cracked and his wasn't. Then his cracked a few days later in the same spot, right above the gauge cluster. haha, I'm laughing now. I need to find time to order one of these while I'm at work.

I still say... Vert Door Panels!!
Fixed. You hatch kids got it easy when it comes to door panels.

Suicide.Veteran
Car: 93 Nissan 240sx

I really think I'm sold on one of these, + it doesn't make plastic gauge pods stick out as much IMO.

slow s13
Car: cars, photo, music

if you haters think this looks worse than a fuzzy furry carpet on the dash your crazy

H8tred

I think it would be cheaper just to recover the whole dash with leather, or vinyl.I can't really say I like the look of the seams. You would think that it wouldn't be too much harder to continue down the center console. Either way, one more option is better than no options. Thanks for the pics and time put into it Dammitboy.

morodo_s13
Car: 240sx 89 and 200sx 85 ca18et powered

hey where can i see the different textures they have ?

and im not planning on running ac, do you think that they can cover all of the ac holes and just leave the front defroster and the ac hole on top of the center console??

thanks for making this happened

erik

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

H8tred wrote:I think it would be cheaper just to recover the whole dash with leather, or vinyl.
...until you try it.

What are you going to do where the dash is concave? The fabric has to go somewhere... There will be seams.

If it was easy, there would be a lot of upholstered dashes. There aren't.

k00laid83

ok i think this is a pretty cool alternative! hey i mean its always good to have choices right! well i only saw one guy on here ask if the had it for rhd...and i was wondering if anyone knew. if so please help a fellow 240sx-er with a rhd 240 out will ya.

My RB25
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX SE

I may be doing this in the near future. I bought my hatch about two weeks ago and the kid said the dash had no cracks, I was just happy enough to finally have gotten one of my dream cars, that I didn't care what condition the car was in lol. I barely looked it over, I just knew what ever was wrong (which was a bit) I could fix it.

Today at work (it was slow) I was cleaning the interior (first time since I got it) and I noticed a lovely crack right above the gauge cluster going back to the windshield...I was kinda disapointed, cause honestly, you can't see it when your driving, so I had no idea. So I have no idea if it was like that when I bought it, oh well. I'm a picky one when it comes to my car and I rather fix things the right way (which usually ends up in a longer job and more money), but that dash looks damn good for a cover. And those picky about its plastic looking finish...see if you can get it covered in a fabric of your liking, cause the idea deffinitly ran through my mind.

FSUDrifter
Car: trying to decide on one...

anyone ever tried one of those dash repair kits from autozone?

H8tred

AZhitman wrote:
...until you try it.

What are you going to do where the dash is concave? The fabric has to go somewhere... There will be seams.

If it was easy, there would be a lot of upholstered dashes. There aren't.
It all depends on what you use. Leather is going to be a toughy, but vinyl can be heated and stretched. If I had an extra dash laying around, I'd be up for the challenge.

H8tred

FSUDrifter wrote:anyone ever tried one of those dash repair kits from autozone?
Yeah, I used it to try to fill the Acura logo on the steering wheel in my Civic, that crap is pure crap. I covered it with velvet, so when I fall asleep at the wheel, my head has something nice to lay on

Leash
Car: '76 Datsun 280z, '99 Honda CRV AWD

Damn, now I've gotta save up for one of these to put in the coupe.

For all the other people say that picking up a clean one in the junk yards is better:I picked a blue dash for the coupe with no cracks in it from a junk yard. It was very clean practically new with no fades. Less than a year later and its already starting to crack all over (And my hatch still has the original dash with no cracks). If you want to keep taking a chance and keep paying for dash after dash from a junk yard, go ahead. But in the long run it will add up.

Dammitboy
Car: 92' Nissan 240

H8tred wrote:
It all depends on what you use. Leather is going to be a toughy, but vinyl can be heated and stretched. If I had an extra dash laying around, I'd be up for the challenge.
Here's the poop on covering your dash. 2 upholstery shops in town here said concave surfaces are difficult at best to cover, but the sonafbeetch of it would be the a/c vents. The trim pieces would not fit in place correctly- you'd have to trim to fit & with that, a fit & finish look could not be guranteed.

Bumnah
Car: 1992 240SX, black. Bone stock.

now for arguements shape. we had my friends dash rewrapped in white vinyl for his show car. it's no where near as bad as you're making it out to be. if you have a dash thats' nice and dried up it works better than the armor alled stuff.

it take some skill to get it nice and smooth, but it's not that had. 3m spray glue. pull and stretch, and pad it down. keep the bubbles out and its' fine.

not really that hard.

this isn't a challenge to your new cover lay, just different options being discussed. why are all the different options being portrayed as some sort of inferior solution. to some it works, for you your new cover lay works.

i've stated before i'd swap in a new dash.

i'd also lean towards the rewrapping myself.

H8tred

When I said it, I meant stripping the dash, and no padding... I may go junk yard digging to see if I can find a pretty beat up one.

Crunkrich
Car: 1992 Nissan 240SX (R.I.P.)
2000 Cherokee Sport 4x4

Dang I got a replacement dash in perfect condition for my cracked one for 25 bucks

positron1
Car: Project: 1993 Nissan 240SX Coupe SR
Daily: 2010 Honda Civic Coupe

Just came across this install, very nice! I must have one of these. Does anyone know if they plan to make one specifically for the HUD dash with the cutout already done? I will do it myself if not but I just have to ask.

notslow
Car: Nissan Sileighty

Amazing product, Amazing writeup, great pics...

****, I am sold on this. I am buying this and a carpet kit and will laugh when my car looks brand new

Return to “240sx General Discussion”