Start to finish. 2.5 year Resto-mod of 1963 Impala Wagon

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
G.O.B.
Car: 1963 Impala Station Wagon, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee

NOTE:
I am aware that some photos are missing. I'll do what I can over the next few days/weeks to get the pictures rehosted and get them reposted.
/NOTE

So, the other day, the guy that is doing the restomods on my wagon e-mailed me these pictures for all of you to see. The dark colored 1969 Vette is the same one he has had for decades...it's also the same car I blew my 1968 Firebird vert up racing in Galesburg back in 1974...before I met Neal's mom. The other Vette, a 1976, is his wife's toy.

Also, you'll see some pictures of a 1926 Ford Model T that he recently restored.

Now you know...the wagon is in good hands.

Enjoy.

Rick's Vette

Customers 1926 Ford Model T. What I was waiting to be finished before the wagon could go down.

Before

After
Last edited by G.O.B. on Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Oatmealman wrote:You can tell me it's got power all you want,but I've driven a full bolt on lt1 and sure it gets up and moves but it's nothing special.until you've driven a 680 rwhp cobra or a blown ls1 in a rx7 you'll continue to think that a bolt on lt1 is quick.When you finally do drive something with a massive amount of power you'll understand where i'm coming from.Hell even my buddy's cummins with close to 1200ft lbs of torque is quick moving a dually pick up, like i said though when you drive some real power you'll understand.

Holy crap. You really can't be that dense, can you?

Let's do some evaluating here.
Full bolt-ons...not talking forced induction.
Headers and maybe a cross pipe, cat back system. Open air pod filter or the like. Plugs and wires if you want it, maybe a new intake plenum and throttle body. That's pretty much it for "bolt-ons", right? That might net you an extra 40-60hp total depending on if you get the ECU tuned. So, you figure an LT1 in the mid 90's was rated about 260-275 HP, depending on what car it was in (Camaro/Trans Am/Impala SS), so figure, best case scenario you max at 335HP at the flywheel.

Now, let's do some real comparison.
680HP compared to 335HP...Gee...doesn't take a friggan rocket scientist to figure out that of course the higher number is going to be a faster car...and besides, it's a 680HP Mustang...of course it's going to be fast as hell...DUH!!! No one ever said that the Impala wagon was a quarter mile missle, did they?

Dude...you're a TOOL and you need to not post in this thread any more. My pop could probably give two s*** about what you have to say. I wouldn't usually act out like this, but this is the third time you have s*** on my dad's car after repeated requests to shut your f*** mouth. Learn to respect and learn from your elders instead of trying to make yourself look smarter than you probably are.

I'll give you credit where it's due in most cases...but not this one, chief...not this one at all.

And no...you don't know my father well enough to call him "bro". You don't even know him well enough to call him by his first name. To you, he is Mr. Hartman. GOT IT?

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Pop, nice to see some pictures of Rick's Vette. Looks like you have been busy lately. I have, too. Haven't had much time to get in and check the thread to see what the heck is going on...besides seeing tonight that Ghetto's been...umm...his normal self.

Next time you head down to Rick's, or talk to him on the phone, tell him hello for me and he has two months to get her done...I WANT TO SEE THE CAR!! LOL.

Love ya, Pop!

G.O.B.

Hey, gang. Got some new pictures of the wagon in the early stages of disassemble. According to Rick, the car is in pretty good shape considering it's pushing close to 50 years old...almost as old as me. :squint:

Anyway, just some pictures of the rear cargo area, rear bumper area, tailgate and front end.
It's all I have for now.

zerepdivad
Car: '90 240sx . '02 Lexus IS300

Car looks pretty damn classy. Looks like it is in good hands with that guy. I've always liked the idea of wagons as cruisers that have some pep. I

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

What's your plan for the interior?

Jesda

Enjoying the hell out of this thread.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

audtatious wrote:What's your plan for the interior?
Matt, I talked to him the other day and he mentioned that he has ordered a gasket kit for the engine as well as all the replacement bits for the interior. I am only about 99% sure on this, but I believe, with the exception being the dash, it's going to be completely OEM style interior.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Thanks for linking me Neal, great thread. I don't have the patience for a restore like this, but I'd love a 90's Buick Road Master Wagon, one with the LT1 from the factory.

For the record a decent LT1 should make over 300 foot lbs of torque just after throttle tip in. That's a ton of available power right where you need it. A car doesn't have to run 12's in the 1/4 to be able to get up and out of the hole. It's called torque vs gearing for anyone young enough to forget that Chevy and Ford actually have options in that category.

This reminds me, a good friend growing up had a 4 dr 64 Impala with a tiny 283. It wasn't fast, but it was definitely fun to drive.

Awesome project!!!

WD

G.O.B.

Gold Digger wrote:
audtatious wrote:What's your plan for the interior?
Matt, I talked to him the other day and he mentioned that he has ordered a gasket kit for the engine as well as all the replacement bits for the interior. I am only about 99% sure on this, but I believe, with the exception being the dash, it's going to be completely OEM style interior.
Sorry son, that 1% you weren't sure of just came back to bite you in the backside.
All the gaskets and seals are for the body not the engine. And yes, the interior will be just like OEM except for the dash.

Doors, windows, tailgate, body mounts, and all the other stuff that got hard and wore out over the years.

As for the interior I ordered all new seat covers, carpet, headliner, sun visors, dash pad, door pads. Let’s just say a brand new inside when it is done...screws and all.
WDRacing wrote:Thanks for linking me Neal, great thread. I don't have the patience for a restore like this, but I'd love a 90's Buick Road Master Wagon, one with the LT1 from the factory.

For the record a decent LT1 should make over 300 foot lbs of torque just after throttle tip in. That's a ton of available power right where you need it. A car doesn't have to run 12's in the 1/4 to be able to get up and out of the hole. It's called torque vs gearing for anyone young enough to forget that Chevy and Ford actually have options in that category.

This reminds me, a good friend growing up had a 4 dr 64 Impala with a tiny 283. It wasn't fast, but it was definitely fun to drive.

Awesome project!!!

WD
At last, someone who understands. THANK YOU, WDRacing.
A 64 Impala SS with the 409 big block would be a nice little treat, as well.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

IMO, since you have the opportunity, change the interior color. There are two interior colors I can't stand on a 60's-70's car and it's that blue and the similar green colors. :)

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Matt,

Your opinion will be noted by the old man, but he's got this problem with doing things his way. Hell, he hardly ever takes the advice I give him...lol

Love ya, Pop...

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

I love this thread. I just can't believe how much of a douche oatmealman was. I'm now going to be monitoring this thread daily hoping for updates. ;)

S13_love

PyR0NiAk wrote: I'm now going to be monitoring this thread daily hoping for updates. ;)

:werd:

audtatious

Gold Digger wrote:Matt,

Your opinion will be noted by the old man, but he's got this problem with doing things his way. Hell, he hardly ever takes the advice I give him...lol

Love ya, Pop...
That's because parents are always smarter than their kids.

G.O.B.

audtatious wrote:IMO, since you have the opportunity, change the interior color. There are two interior colors I can't stand on a 60's-70's car and it's that blue and the similar green colors. :)
The one thing that has not been talked about yet on this thread is the reason I spent so much time looking for this car.

In 1963 my father, James, bought a brand new one for his family. At that time I was 7 years old, and a new car was a big deal. It was the first car that he let me drive too. So as you can see this is a big thing to me.

The car was the same 936 Ermine white outside and the same 842 blue inside, 6 passenger wagon like I now own. My hope was to have the car bought before he passed away, but his time here on Earth was up shortly after I got the car.

No disrespect at all intended, but for me, the car will look stock in and out...the drive train only exception, as the sleeper will awaken!

The inside should look like this, but with a bench seat and column shift and the Dakot Digital dash because the LT1 and 4L60E trans would not hook up to the stock dash.

This is what the back end of the car looks like with the hidden luggage compartment. This isn't my car either.

But I do thank you for your thoughts and opinions. That is what makes this country so great, we all have the right to think for ourselves. So again thank you and PLEASE keep reading.

And, also, thank you to my late father for the love of cars.

audtatious

No issues, I understand fully.

Unfortunately, my parents were not car people so I didn't have anything relatively decent to drive when I started. I was given the opportunity to have my aunts '63 Chevy II when I was in high school. It was a 4-door with either an in-line 4 or 6 (don't remember), white exterior with blue interior and had factory A/C. She bought it new and it had less than 40k on it. I hated it as I wanted a coupe and it went away. Looking back, it could have been a nice project car. My other option was my Dad's '72 beetle....didn't want that either.

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

I, personally, think the blue interior is gorgeous. GoldDigger did mention that your dad had one when you were a kid, but didn't go into nearly as much detail as you did, Sir.

G.O.B.

Well, after some digging, I found a picture of my dad's wagon. Can't remember the year, maybe around 1966, but here it is.

I am standing closest to the rear door with my one brother Eric and my cousin Kevin.

And this is the 68 Firebird vert I had back around mid 1973. The Mustang belonged to my other brother Scott, he's the one standing next to the mustang.
Last edited by G.O.B. on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

audtatious

Gremlin, something you don't see much anymore.

raremotive
Car: 04 G35

^ This is true. I saw one in Rapid City. It was bumble bee yellow. It was used to mint condition.

G.O.B.

Well girls and boys, Rick has been busy on the old wagon. I have been talking to him and the word is that all the glass but the windshield is out, the interior is out. All the moldings and drip rails are gone. The front fenders are off. As soon as he has time to breathe a bit, he said he would tease us with some bawdy pictures of the old girl striped down some. I am having a hard time finding the tires I want for the car. Does anyone know who has tires in the sizes 255x60x15 for the front and 275x60x15 for the rear. The rims will be Chevy Rally 7” and 8” for the old school look that I’m shooting for.

PyR0NiAk

sbird1
Car: 2006 BMW 325i

sbird1 wrote:I can't see any pictures :-( Fix it!!!
I see pictures now. I'm VERY jealous. I love wagons with balls. That 'vette is awesome. Sidepipes are my favorite. Looks like a great project!

G.O.B.

sbird1 wrote:
sbird1 wrote:I can't see any pictures :-( Fix it!!!
I see pictures now. I'm VERY jealous. I love wagons with balls. That 'vette is awesome. Sidepipes are my favorite. Looks like a great project!

I understand, but my wagon is a grand OLD Lady. So I am sorry to say "She has no ba**s". But she will shine with the best of the grand old dames when Rick has worked his magic.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

G.O.B. wrote:Well girls and boys, Rick has been busy on the old wagon. I have been talking to him and the word is that all the glass but the windshield is out, the interior is out. All the moldings and drip rails are gone. The front fenders are off. As soon as he has time to breathe a bit, he said he would tease us with some bawdy pictures of the old girl striped down some. I am having a hard time finding the tires I want for the car. Does anyone know who has tires in the sizes 255x60x15 for the front and 275x60x15 for the rear. The rims will be Chevy Rally 7” and 8” for the old school look that I’m shooting for.

Pop, those are going to be really beefy for 7" and 8" wide wheels.

I am running 9.5" wide with 265 and have a bit of a stretch on my GT-R, so you're going to have quite a bit of rubber bulging off the sides.

I know it's your car, but just giving you fair warning.

But, yeah...tire rack would be your best bet for decent priced tires.

PyR0NiAk

Gold Digger wrote:
G.O.B. wrote:Well girls and boys, Rick has been busy on the old wagon. I have been talking to him and the word is that all the glass but the windshield is out, the interior is out. All the moldings and drip rails are gone. The front fenders are off. As soon as he has time to breathe a bit, he said he would tease us with some bawdy pictures of the old girl striped down some. I am having a hard time finding the tires I want for the car. Does anyone know who has tires in the sizes 255x60x15 for the front and 275x60x15 for the rear. The rims will be Chevy Rally 7” and 8” for the old school look that I’m shooting for.

Pop, those are going to be really beefy for 7" and 8" wide wheels.

I am running 9.5" wide with 265 and have a bit of a stretch on my GT-R, so you're going to have quite a bit of rubber bulging off the sides.

I know it's your car, but just giving you fair warning.

But, yeah...tire rack would be your best bet for decent priced tires.

I was thinking this, but I left it alone...

G.O.B.

Ok kids, here is where the fun comes in. I’m asking for your help in choosing the right tires for the Chevy Rallies. In the front will be 15 x 7 and in the rear 15 x 8. The color is argent and there will be stainless steel trim rings and the disc brake caps. The back spacing is not set yet as Rick and I have not talked about it. We need to measure everything to get the offset just right. But please let me know your thoughts. REMEMBER, this has to be able to drive from coast to coast in all but winter weather. G.O.B. gets finial judgment.

God, the G.O.B. asking for help, I must be losing my mind (that last 1/4 cell I had) Mike I wish you were still on the planet my friend. :cry:

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Pop, I would suggest running 225-245/60/15 on the front and 245-255/60/15 on the back. Would probably get everything nice and tidy.

If your running 15", you should have a decent selection of tires available.
A quick search on Tire Rack found:
2 BFGoodrich T/A Radials in 225/60/15
2 BFGoodrich T/A Radials in 255/60/15

Total price: $346.00 before tax and shipping.

That would give you some beef in the back, some decent grip up front and a nice staggered look all around. Would look good on Ralley's tucked inside the fenders.

G.O.B.

I know that this thread is centered around cars and all, but for this entry I would like to change it just a tad. Today I want to ask the Supreme Being to pass on to my Father a “Happy Fathers Day” as this is the first one without him for me. I hope he and my mom are watching the wagon build with smiles on their faces and joy in their hearts. I know we all have lost someone in our lives and it hurts, so today may they be smiling down at you, and you feel a warm glow. May you all have peace this day and I’m sorry it is so late.

Return to “General Chat”