Start to finish. 2.5 year Resto-mod of 1963 Impala Wagon

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
G.O.B.
Car: 1963 Impala Station Wagon, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee

audtatious wrote:Car looks great. Have you had the alignment checked? In the 2nd video it looked like it was crabbing

The alignment has been checked and set two times and what you are seeing is an illusion from the fact that the camera was offset to the road and car at the time of shooting. I caught it and talked to Rick, then he watched the video after telling me nothing is wrong. Then I got the call with a laugh and he said he saw what I was talking about, so thank you for bringing to my attention because it does look wrong in the video.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

OK, good deal. I was hoping something wasn't out of alignment :)

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

WOW!!!

Pop, those are some nice pics. Did Jake take any more? That new program he got looks like it does some neato stuff.

nklndym
Car: 91 Hardbody "NKLNDYM"
02 Ranger Edge "BKBRKR"

Neal, I took those pics the other night. No new program as of yet. Pops asked if I would be interested in him purchasing it for me for payment, but it looks like its on santa's list... hopefully an early xmas present. Its not much of a program, a little color adjustment but mainly for merging photo's for HDR shots. I think what I really need to do is take a class at sandburg and learn the ins and outs of these camera's. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I dont. Im still interested in spending 10 minutes somewhere close by and getting good, regular old shots all around the car and interior if he'd like to do that one day. Nothin crazy, no weird edits just some clean shots.

nklndym
02 Ranger Edge "BKBRKR"

Ive been a little busy with other things, so im a little slow getting more pics up for you guys. Here's one for you guys, I know this is one of the most important ones to Mark. Ill let him share the story if need be. Dont mind the edit, I was playing around with another program checking it out and this is what I came up with. Seemed to fit well, but Ill have some normal copies for ya. Enjoy.

G.O.B.

nklndym wrote:Ive been a little busy with other things, so im a little slow getting more pics up for you guys. Here's one for you guys, I know this is one of the most important ones to Mark. Ill let him share the story if need be. Dont mind the edit, I was playing around with another program checking it out and this is what I came up with. Seemed to fit well, but Ill have some normal copies for ya. Enjoy.

Thanks Jake, that one is damn near perfect.

As Neal knows Mike was a car guy from the start. By that I mean he had a plethora of hydrocarbon based burning, fuel spewing, ear splitting, eye burning, knuckle busting, home grown Detroit iron. He was a very large influence in both my life and Neal’s when it comes to cars. So in my own way I had to take Clare out to introduce the two of them as I still take him a Jack and Coke on his birthday (individual size bottle and a can of coke) to pour over his grave. I hope you enjoyed the build Mike, We miss you Buddy. Stop down for a ride when you can. :yesnod

bang4dabuck
Car: M30

No offense but wouldn't you rather spend your time on a coupe like this ?
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=1963+imp ... 9,r:8,s:24

When I was growing up my buddies brother had one in burnt Orange with Cragar mags. Needless to say it was SWEET !!! :yesnod

G.O.B.

bang4dabuck wrote:No offense but wouldn't you rather spend your time on a coupe like this ?
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=1963+imp ... 9,r:8,s:24

When I was growing up my buddies brother had one in burnt Orange with Cragar mags. Needless to say it was SWEET !!! :yesnod
Try reading the whole thread and then if you have to ask that same question I guess you just don't get it. So pay attention as you read then think real hard and come back later if you must ask it again! No offense taken.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Nicely done, Jake. Thank you.

Pop,

I am sure Mike is looking down on you from above with a big smile.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Anything new to update us on, Pop?

Haven't talked to ya in a while so wasn't sure what's going on.

G.O.B.

Gold Digger wrote:Anything new to update us on, Pop?

Haven't talked to ya in a while so wasn't sure what's going on.
Looking in to an inside hood release at this time.

Ozzie
Car: '90 300ZX twin turbo - 2 seater
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S twin turbo
'06 MK5 Golf tdi

Car has turned out great.

And like you say, it was built the way YOU wanted it.
I don't think I have seen one in my neck of the woods before, so I'd like to see it for myself one day..... and probably try to see Neal at the same time. (That's going to be a fun one to co-ordinate!)

I hope she serves you well on your journey along route 66. (Make sure to take a whole stack of photos along the way!)

G.O.B.

Hey, kids. What's new?

Well, now that Neal is home for the holidays, I figured what better way to welcome him home than to make him do some work for me on Clare. I don't think he minded all that much. He got to see her, drive her and even get a little squeal out of the tires after I showed him how.

So, what was done, you ask?

This.

A Retro Sound Model One digital tuner with all kinds of neat goodies. It even has a port for a USB input, SD card input and two AUX inputs for use with iPod.

The install didn't go as smoothly as Neal would have liked, but with his creativity and patience, he was able to get it mounted, wired and working in a few short hours. (Let's not forget the two blown fuses...) Just in time for his shindig with some close friends and family.

So, next on the list is to make him help me clean the garage a little bit. I love when my children come home.

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

He did well... :) I like it. I almost have my grandfather convinced, with my help of course, to restore his factory mistake '87 Monte Carlo LS (came with a 350 but was sold as if it had a V6). Every time I open this thread, it makes me want to do it so much more... I still remember sitting in that thing thinking it was the fastest car in the world when I was a kid.

G.O.B.

Hey, all. Time to bring this back from the dead.

Not really a whole lot to add this time, but do have a couple of things.

First off, just before Christmas, Neal was able to procure a good deal on a Viper car alarm through a friend up in the Quad Cities, so that was a nice little Christmas gift. One of his friends was able to do the install for me through a shop here in town that I have been using for some smallish stuff. Here is his website. Let ya get a look at some of the neat little projects he's been working on when my girl isn't there. www.ccmauto.com

You'll be able to find what has been done to my car by looking under the header of "1963 Impala Wagon" on the top of the homepage.

Have also been trying to get some information on getting the LT1's ECU tuned for a better fuel map so I can squeeze a bit more gas mileage out of her on our trip to Arizona next month. Let's hope we can get that figured out.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying 2012 so far.
Oh, and in other news. I added another year to my "Life Above Ground" counter. Happy birthday to me!!!

Be good, ya'll!!!

nklndym
02 Ranger Edge "BKBRKR"

Most importantly I tucked away that orange wire hanging below the dash!! BTW Mark, Dont think I forgot about ya. I asked a handful of people with no responses yet.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Hey, Jake! How's things?

How hard to you think it would be to tidy up all those wires underneath the dash. Looks like a rats nest under there, doesn't it?

G.O.B.

Thank you, Jake, for the work on the alarm system, and to my first born Neal, as it was he that put me in contact with Greg way back, when he did a test drive for the G.O.B.. And the rest has become a form of history of sorts.

Neal also installed the radio for me over his Christmas vacation, which took time away from his family. Then, he and a close knit group of friends from the QCA worked on his brother Stephen’s Blazer.

Neal and Steve both do quite a lot for me when they can.

As for Sir Jake, it was he that introduced me to the gentlemen named Brian Price, of Brian’s Auto (http://www.ccmauto.com) that has done some fab work for me. He also let Jake do the alarm work in his shop with an assist if needed. And yes I still have your message on the car is done, I have not forgotten you.

Then he was kind enough to offer and let Rockin’ Rick do a rear seal replacement on the Ford 9” in his shop to help out. Brian has all the right tools and jack stands, with HEAT in the shop to do the work. This meant that Rick did not have to haul all the stuff from his shop up to my garage to do the work, and yes I do have heat but with Brian’s offer the two got to meet and dish me, which we all know I deserve. That made for a great day in my opinion. And I may have misspoken by saying that Brian's is a little shop. Brian, like Rockin Rick, has turned out award winning cars that should be art, with a few more coming very soon.

So that means that I owe Brian a thank you also, and a hardy thank you to my long time family friend Rick, for the long distance service call, it was good to see you Brother!

Both of these men have a no nonsense work ethic that I admire. So if you would like to meet one or both of them just let me know and I will check with them about their time plans.
Last edited by G.O.B. on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

G.O.B. wrote:Oh, and in other news. I added another year to my "Life Above Ground" counter. Happy birthday to me!!!
:birthday

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

G.O.B. wrote:
Neal and Steve both do quite a lot for me when they can.

Huh? We both mooch as much off of you as we can then you put us to work so we don't have to pay you back. LOL!!!

Don't let this old fart fool ya'll. He's a friggan old crotchety S.O.B. that has a gun. I don't have any form of defense, so I just do what he tells me.

...most of the time.

Love ya, pop.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Can't wait to meet Clare and show the G.O.B. & Co. around the awesome state of Arizona!

Return to “General Chat”