Start to finish. 2.5 year Resto-mod of 1963 Impala Wagon

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

We are almost at the end! Great job!

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

It's interesting how times change. Back in my high school days I wanted a coupe and not some old 4-door as my first car. So, I ended up driving the 'rents vehicles instead of getting my own. I finally picked up my first car, a 1979 Celica coupe, in '83. I loved that car so it worked out....anyway, while in HS an opportunity presented itself and was ignored. My aunt was getting a new '83 Mercury Lynx (ugh) and offered her car to me (well, to my parents for me to drive). It was a 1963 Chevy II 4-door, white with blue interior, factory air, either the i4 or a i6 (don't remember), and only 30k miles or less on the odo. We passed on it and I believe someone bought it for relatively nothing and stuck it somewhere in a car parts yard.

Looking back, that would have been a neat car to dump a V8 in and kept as a sleeper. :(

G.O.B.
Car: 1963 Impala Station Wagon, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Hello all,

The word for today is WIRING. As the man from the state of MO has told me, he is working hard to clean up the bird nest that was under my hood. His thoughts are to make it a more pleasing site when the hood is up, and I agree. So most of you know that to wire anything is a time consuming ordeal and will drive you mad, we must wish Rick well in his conquest, as the length of the car is not short and the amount of wire is beyond immense. And that is just under the hood. There is still under the dash with the digital dash, the new cruise control and all. Then he may have to change the wiring from the right side that the wagon was made with to the left side that all other Chevy cars were made with.

And to think I did this to a friend of mine because I had a different dream and he is trying to fulfill that dream to the very best that he can. I know it is his job, but some people just do more than their jobs. Some put feelings into it so that when you look at the finished product you see the pride of the craftsman, doing what they do best, what they enjoy going to work for. To Rick and all the rest of them, I say THANK YOU.

G.O.B.

Well, NICO followers, I have some good news.

No, the car isn't done yet. That's not my news.

I have more pictures. That's the good news. So good, in fact, that I actually have two sets of pictures and letters to update you with.

The ole girl is coming along quite well now and is almost starting to look a little bit like a completed car. But, like I said, almost.

Anyway, as usual, here is the first letter and first set of pictures received from Rick last week.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mark,

Here are some more random pics for you to view.

I finished all paint work, including tinted bed liner in rear footwell area today. ALL paintwork is now completed.

I have the front (firewall forward) about 90% wired. Just have to iron out a few details with Don Bach next week.

Progress is going very well, so I hope I can get this wagon done soon. Interior will progress quickly now. Will send you more pics as I progress.

Ole man in MO

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, as I mentioned, there are more pictures. So, here's the letter...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mark,

Here are some more pics.

Wiring is completed to rear of car including the tailgate. I was able to figure everything out,and have not had to call Don as of yet. I was able to run 95% of the wiring down the right side as was stock. The wire loom that works the tailgate and power window has its own loom. The taillight, brake light, license light, feed for gas gauge and fuel gauge has their own loom.  So far everything is falling into place pretty well.

I've now started installing the rear cargo area, as you can see.  I won't install the rear glass until I can test wiring for proper function with key switch and switch under dash.

The camera kinda washes out the color of the interior but it looks killer in person.

Talk to you soon,
Ole man in MO

And...the pictures.

This thing is getting so close I can almost picture myself driving it home. I have so many plans that I want to do with it once I get it home. I really am having a hard time waiting, but as the adage goes, "Good things come to those who wait."

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

Wow, this thing is looking stellar!

G.O.B.

Well, all. Here we are with another update on the old girl. It seems to be getting closer and closer and I am getting more and more excited (read: impatient) to get her home in the garage.

As usual, Rick has included his customary e-mail to let us know what the progress on the wagon is.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Mark,

More pics for you.

As you can see, things are going together pretty good. I've been working back and forth between wiring and installing interior as they kinda go hand in hand.

The fuel tank, wiring for fuel tank, and air ride are now installed. Air fill (Schrader valve) for air ride is now located in the gas tank filler door and is aired up to 10 PSI. No air leaks!!!!!!!!

I have just a few connections to iron out on the engine hookup and I have figured out where all but one goes. I will have to talk to Don about it.

I'll be working on the gear selector/shift hardware today so I can START this ole girl before long!!! Exhaust hookup will follow after that so starting her up is not far away.

That's all I have for now.

Ole Man in MO

And, what you have all been waiting for...the pictures.

On a side note, I know about the tornado that struck Joplin, MO, and I hope that any/all NICO members affected by this are doing ok. You are all in my prayers.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Hey, Pop! Looking good. Can't wait to see her when I get home in December.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Holy crap that is looking awesome!!!

G.O.B.

Ok, gang. Looks like Rick wanted you all to see some more pictures of the build. So, since I am paying the guy, might as well give him what he wants.

As usual, the letter and the pictures follow.
Not much longer.

(For the record, Rick, I am doing this because I have nothing better to do, but I know you like the crew looking at thread. Hopefully you'll be able to read some comments from them.)

Mark,

More pics for you to look at. Sorry I didn't get these out last night but my camera was at the shop that I
took these pics in. Hope this gives you something to enjoy until you make it down Thursday.   

Hope you, the wife and family have a SAFE and HAPPY Memorial Weekend.

Rick

Here's a nice picture of the Missouri sky. So pretty.

audtatious

Do you have a countdown clock to getting it back or is it simply up to Rick and his availability?

Rick, good work :)

OwnerCS

Cool pictures and project.. When I was in HS, one of my buds had a white 63 Super Sport with red vinyl interior and bucket seats.. It had about 75,000 as I recall.. I guess the SS was strictly a trim option in those days as it came with 283 2 BBL and Power Glide.. I remember the dash trim and console had an engine turn finish.. He eventually sold it for $1,000 and used the money for a down payment on a 2 year old Olds Cutlass.

Picture of the engine turn trim is below.. Actually the guy has it for sale..

http://www.mikeschevy.com/servlet/the-3 ... ALA/Detail

G.O.B.

audtatious wrote:Do you have a countdown clock to getting it back or is it simply up to Rick and his availability?

Rick, good work :)

To answer your question,

" 'Bout an hour, ” would be wrong. But people that know me understand that was the standard answer when the family went anywhere or did anything, no matter how long was really left.

I have said in this post that when Rick hands me the keys and I hand him a cold drink the job will be done.

But alas there is more that I will want done in the future, but other bills will get some attention first if you know what I mean.

Also all the delays WERE NOT Rick’s fault. I had some money problems that needed to be addressed and luckily Rick was good enough to pick up a few side jobs so I could try to catch up and not move me to the back of the line like most shops do.

In the very beginning Rick and I talked about how long this would be. I mean come on folks one man most all of the time to work on a car 17.5ft long, 6ft wide and 5ft tall and he did a frame off. Stop and think how BAD he must want her out of his shop. I mean he could have built one Vette, a Model T and maybe an MG or 4 VW Bugs in the same amount of time.

So as bad as you all want to see “S.S. Going Broke” the Grand Ol’ Lady said she is not quite ready for her unveiling just yet. I think she has a thing for Rick after all this time. As for me I just ask GOD for the patience to see the end result.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

I can't believe how fast things are going now. Hope you and ma have a safe trip down to Rick's this week.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Just a heads up!!

Pop has some new stuff headed your way sometime this weekend!!! YEA!!!

Ajax
Car: 1991 240sx SE
2010 Mazda 5

question- the 2nd set of cranks on the front doors- is that for the corner glass? turn the crank, they open out?

G.O.B.

Ajax wrote:question- the 2nd set of cranks on the front doors- is that for the corner glass? turn the crank, they open out?
Yes, You are correct. That is one of the things I like about older cars.

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

The wagon is looking fantastic, Mr. Hartman. LOL, I just noticed that you took it to Crossed Flags in Macon, MO. I drive by there every time I go see my mom (she lives about 45 miles from Macon). Had I known, I'd have asked if I could stop and see her in person. :)

Beautiful job Rick's doing!

G.O.B.

Encryptshun wrote:The wagon is looking fantastic, Mr. Hartman. LOL, I just noticed that you took it to Crossed Flags in Macon, MO. I drive by there every time I go see my mom (she lives about 45 miles from Macon). Had I known, I'd have asked if I could stop and see her in person. :)

Beautiful job Rick's doing!
And the answer is... Oh Hell Yes, as long as Rick is there and is OK with it, and she is not in one of her moods. I think Rick would be happy to show you around. We are talking State Highway BB correct?

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Chad, if you ever do stop by there, just tell him you followed the thread on NICO and know me and or my dad. He'll most likely be cool with it.

G.O.B.

Now, so as not to make my son look like an idiot (not like he needs much help from me), I suppose I should get to getting and post up some pictures for ya all to look at.

This time, though, there is no e-mail from Rick. My wife and I drove down Thursday for a couple things.

The car is coming along quite well. My wife and I had a part in installing the front bumper with Rick getting the assist.

The front bumper license plate thingy was installed after my wife and I left to come home, so unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of that yet.

The Rally wheels now have trim rings and center caps. The deep trim rings on the back 8" wide wheels and the shallow ones on the front 7" wide wheels. The center caps are the short type that don't stick out too far.

Also, the body moldings have been placed on both front fenders, front and rear doors, and rear fenders to the bumper (which will be removed prior to color sanding, then reinstalled). Just waiting to get the Impala logo on each rear fender.

You can also catch a glimpse of what the seats will look like when everything goes all back together. The seat pictured is the back bench.

Here are some pictures of the engine bay. Rick is still have some issues with 4 wires, and he has said he'll loom the rest of the wires once everything is all wired up and running.

Now, originally, the wife and I had gone down to get fitted for the shoulder seat belt mounts and placement of the 1968-1972 rectangular mirrors to make sure everything was peachy. And, they are.

As for the shoulder belts, there is actually a hole in the B pillar, but we're not quite sure what that hole is for. So the placement of them with that hole is just fine for me and the wife and anyone else who rides in the car. Rick will weld a nut on the inside so the bolt has something to screw into.

The mirrors will actually get mounted pretty close to the original positions. They are much bigger because they are rectangular so there will be more viewing surface.

Hopefully, the next set of pictures that Rick sends me will have the complete front bumper assembled, pictures of the seat belts mounted to the B pillar and the mirrors mounted to the doors.

Hope you all have enjoyed the thread so far. It won't be too much longer till the ole girl is sitting back at her birth.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

G.O.B. wrote:Now, so as not to make my son look like an idiot (not like he needs much help from me), I suppose I should get to getting and post up some pictures for ya all to look at.
:wtf2: , Pop?!?!?! That's not nice!!! Remember, I hold the power to make your thread just vanish off the face of the interwebs!

Anyway, really impressed with the progress being made. The wheels look nice with the rings and caps on them and the mouldings look a little...um...different...

Oh, and the good things about owning your own company? No dress code. When you are the boss...hell, the only employee, who cares whatcha wear!!! LOL.

Also, one other thing. This is the thread I was talking about with you last night when I called to say hi.

Need some opinions.

Have a look through of that and see the master of all that is negotiating that your daughter-in-law is. It's no wonder I can never win an argument. Woman just refuses to lose. LOL!!!

jdansmith
Car: 2008 Sentra 2.0S, 91 Sentra 1.6DHOC, 89 Hardbody Z24

I have really enjoyed following this build, the builder has skills for sure. Thanks for keeping us updates.

G.O.B.

Hey, gang. Just wanted to throw this up and give ya a little more insight on something I mentioned in my previous post.

I had said that there was a hole on the B pillar that Rick was going to use for mounting the shoulder belts for the wagon. After scouring some pictures, I found one that has been posted before and you can see the lone hole that I am talking about. It's circled in red.

Anyway, that's all I have for now. More as soon as I get it.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Hey, Pop. Just swingin by to see if ya posted anything new recently.

Gimme a call. I'm home with the boys tonight and they are already sleeping.

BallzDeep1.9L
Car: '02 WRX Wagon: SOLD
'93 240SX Coupe: SOLD
'11 Ram: SOLD
'11 F-150: rotted into oblivion
'17 Frontier: Basic AF

i want tire smoking burnout vids...yesterday

G.O.B.

BallzDeep1.9L wrote:i want tire smoking burnout vids...yesterday
Ya, and I want World Peace, go figure.

audtatious

Build is looking good. Nice seeing one of these ladies rescued this way.

G.O.B.

Good morning, NICO. How is everyone?

Well, I had a few minutes, so I thought I would post up the most recent pictures that I received from Rick recently.

Not much of a message from Rick as he is having some issues with his computer and been putting in long hours in the shop.

There is one picture of a broken O2 sensor that Rick has ordered a replacement for. There is also an issue with getting enough fuel pressure to start the engine. Other than that, I'll just let the pics speak for themselves.

Also would like to say congratulations to my son. Happy 10th anniversary, my boy.

G.O.B.

Hey, gang. How has everyone's weekend been going?

Well, I recently received more photos so I thought it was time to get my butt in gear and get them on here and give you a taste of where the car is now. So, without delay, here's Rick's mail, then I have included a small segment for the last four pictures.

Mark,

Some more pics for you. The project is nearing the finish.

Windshield is going to be put in this afternoon (Fri-24th). As soon as the seats come back, I’ll trailer her to Columbia for the headliner install at Tiger Upholstery. After that, I'll install carpet, seats, sill plates, buff her out, install mirrors, trailer her to Sid's for alignment and SHE WILL BE DONE!!!!!  I'll drive her after that for awhile, to be sure and get the bugs out so She can come home to the 'Burg. Hope this brightens your day.

Ole Man in MO. 

The following photos are parts for the roof rack and the POR15.

Rick had to blast the rack parts, do a lot of body work and then get them ready to paint because they were in no shape to be chromed again. He has poured the POR15 in to the tubes of the rack and let it coat the inside to try to stop anymore rusting.

So I am in the market for a chrome (good condition) 1963 roof rack in the future.

audtatious

Wow, getting close.

Hopefully you can find a roof rack, tho it may be a bit difficult as I'm sure nobody makes that anymore.

Return to “General Chat”