Start to finish. 2.5 year Resto-mod of 1963 Impala Wagon

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

G.O.B. wrote:I know that this thread is centered around cars and all, but for this entry I would like to change it just a tad. Today I want to ask the Supreme Being to pass on to my Father a “Happy Fathers Day” as this is the first one without him for me. I hope he and my mom are watching the wagon build with smiles on their faces and joy in their hearts. I know we all have lost someone in our lives and it hurts, so today may they be smiling down at you, and you feel a warm glow. May you all have peace this day and I’m sorry it is so late.
Your Dad is watching and he's smiling right this second, probably making a wise crack to your Mom about you typing all this on the PC. Heck I bet he was laughing at Oatmealman right along with the rest of us. Enjoy the rest of your fathers day, you deserve it.

WD

G.O.B.
Car: 1963 Impala Station Wagon, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Got an update for you, but it's not for the car...

Just to change things up a touch, we had some rain Friday night (June 18, 2010) and the wife woke me at 3A.M. CST to tell me we had some water in the garage. I called the contractor that built it and he came to pump us out a second time. The first was back in May on the 14th after a heavy storm.

Well here are some pictures I took at 7am.

I sure am glad that the car is down at Rick’s shop instead of here in the garage where the water was.

Anyone care for a swim in Lake Casa de Hartman?

I really hope this rain lets up soon. This is just plain bonkers...
WDRacing wrote:
Your Dad is watching and he's smiling right this second, probably making a wise crack to your Mom about you typing all this on the PC. Heck I bet he was laughing at Oatmealman right along with the rest of us. Enjoy the rest of your fathers day, you deserve it.

WD
Thank you, WD. It's much appreciated.

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

Looks like you're getting the same weather we have.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

HOLY COW, Pop...And I thought our rainy season was bad. You don't have a rainy season in Illinois, but you probably got more rain in one day than we usually do in 6 weeks. GAAAHHHH!!!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Time to start trenching and putting in some french drains.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Agreed, you're in a bad low spot. I dug trenches one summer for a construction company (to keep me out of trouble) lots of work. You definitely need a run off of some kind...looks like you're surrounded by flat area though...suckage. I just looked at that French Drain system, looks like it could work. That's some serious labor though, what's the ground like? No way you're doing that here in TX, ground is to damned hard.

Good excuse to rent some cool machinery though!!!

G.O.B.

The work has started and the pipe is tied in to the city storm drain. They started at the street and are working back toward the backyard. They made it as far as the A/C unit beside the house before another storm hit and had to stop. With any luck and God willing they will be done Thursday night.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Hey, all. Just an update to let you know that Pop sent me a bunch of pictures of the car as it is right now. Interior is out, front fenders, bumper, hood are off, rear tail lights are out also.

It's lookin like progress is being made pretty well, although a bit slowly...but what do you expect when one old dude is working on it and the other old dude owns it. Fitting that it's an old car.

Rick! I know you're lurking at this thread so I am stickin a jab your way now, partner. See ya in a few weeks!

G.O.B.

Neal...remember this. I know where you'll be sleeping in about 4 weeks. How unlucky would it be for you to wake up to me standing over the bed getting ready for this "old dude" to whoop your a**...Love you, son.

Anyway, my NICO viewers (and Rick), I have some photos from the other "old dude" who is doing the work. Not a lot to explain as the pictures pretty much speak for themselves. The floors look good for it's age. Maybe, even with all the little headaches this car has given me, it was/is worth the money spent so far. Well, I at least hope so. Photos are arranged by date, from newest to oldest.

Anyway...enjoy.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Hey, Pop...just grow a pair and drive it around just like that...give it that doorless Jeep feel to it.

One thing I noticed...the exhaust has some bends in it that aren't mandrel bent. Think you'd ever consider getting a couple sections mandrel bent to smooth out the exhaust flow? Possibly even get some flanges put in there and make it sectional so if you ever have to replace anything, it's not a whole section of exhaust from the header to the bumper.

Just a thought. When I get home, I really want to get down and see the ole girl and see what Rick has in store for her.

G.O.B.

Got some more pictures for all of you.

Just some random shots of the engine bay work Rick is doing. He going to try and see if he can re-locate the ECU inside the cab instead of having it mounted on the firewall as it was before. Something to do with things possibly not working right if the length of wire isn't right...

Anyway...

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Damn...Rick is gettin busy with the ole girl.

Lookin pretty good, Pop. Keep us updated!

G.O.B.

Hey, kids!

Just got an e-mail from Rick. New pictures and some words from Automobile Artist.

Mark,

Some more progress shots.

Tell the pups on the build thread, to notice how everything is marked, prior to dis-assembly , so when assembly time comes you are not scratching your head wondering where everything went!!!!!

AHH!! The wisdom of old age....

Don't need to respond as I know you are busy this week.

Motor in pics is completely disconnected, and will stay on frame until body is lifted. As soon as I get the wiring and dash out, I will lift the body and put on the rotisserie.

The OLD DUDE!!!!!!
Later!

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Lookin good, Pop!

Rick...you da man!

G.O.B.

This thing has really started snowballing.

To give you yet another update...the body is off the frame and all that remains is an engine, frame, suspension and exhaust...plus a few minor tidbits.

And, another message from Rick.

Mark,

The USS Going Broke, Has officially been gutted, dry-docked, and ready for the beginning of retrofit.

OLD MAN from Missouri

Don't let that "OLD MAN from Missouri" bit fool ya. He's actually from Illinois. I know this to be true. He just resides in Missouri now...

Oh, and Neal...not bad for an "Old dude" right? Kids these days. Where did I go wrong. Hey, anyone have a time machine to take me back about 16 years ago so I can beat the snot outta my kid on his 18th birthday? DAMN...

One other thing, son...Rick says he can't wait to meet you this summer when you come home. Something about showing you "just how old this old dude is."

Enjoy, youngsters!

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

Your posts make me laugh.. This thread is pure win.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Damn...that didn't take long at all. Rick must be drinking mass volumes of coffee...or Rock Start Energy Drink...gotta be something.

G.O.B.

Another update from the G.O.B. tonight before I head to bed.

First off, Neal talked to Rick on the phone the other day and asked if he had any pictures of the Corvette from back in the day. (Yes, he's owned the car for more than 30 years.) Lo-and-behold, he did. So, he sent them my way and now I offer them up to you. Rick's not too sure when the photos were taken, but sometime between 1976-1980 would be a safe bet. Oh, and by the way, would you believe this car used to be a convertible? He did everything himself.

Yeah...Rick's that good.

And, now on to the Impala.

Got this e-mail and a few pictures earlier today.

Mark,

Some pics of frame and motor after degrease and hot bath.

Frame looks excellent, and is very rust free and in very good shape. Motor cleaned up good (didn't wash front ((OptiSpark)). Didn't want to get wet.)

Will call tonight.

Rick

Here's where she's at now.

Well, all. It's been a beast of a day and I am off to the land of snoozies. Have a good one.

The G.O.B.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

So, that's what the Vette looked like when you blew up the Firebird, Pop? Well, at least you lost to a sharp looking car. Nice work there Rick!

As for the wagon, I think it's safe to say that your car is going to look pretty damned good when it's all said and done. After seeing what Rick has done with his car, his wife's car and that Model T, I'm pretty confident the U.S.S. Going Broke will look SMOKIN!

G.O.B.

Hey all!

Sorry it's been so long since my last update. With work and getting ready for the boy to come home from Japan, haven't had a whole lot of "me time". But, I got a bit now, so I thought I'd hit you up with a couple different updates on the ole girl from our good buddy Rick.

So, the first update was from Friday of last week.

Mark,

Some more pics of Wagon. Hooray!!!!! The nasty part is almost done.

This is the result of 3 days of soaking under-body, with diesel fuel to soften undercoat and road tar, then using a propane torch and a scraper, to heat and remove it. Very hard dirty work. The deeper I get into this car the better it looks. The under-body is as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar. Absolutely NO RUST. Incredible, for as old as this car is, and that will save you $$ !!!

Dad must have been looking out for YOU, when you found this VERY NICE OLE GAL.

Talk to you soon,
Rick

And this was from earlier today.

Mark,

Here are some pictures to show you the body and frame work I will need to do. Very little work since the car is in such good shape. Just a matter of doing.

I looked closely at the right rear hub and I can see why it is leaking, as the seal looks beat up! Someone installed poorly. It could be fixed...inexpensively verses replaced...your call, though. As of now I believe you still want to use Chevy hubs? Let me know.

I am getting the info together for the air bags for rear, as I will need soon, along with the rear suspension bushings. Have you found a source for the rear bushings? Let me know about that, too.

Thanks,
Rick

It's all I have for now, so I am off to bed before work tomorrow. Good night all!

G.O.B.

Ok, my followers, I have some updates for you on the wagon.

I know it's been a while, but with preparing for Neal and the family coming home, I didn't have a lot of time to get stuff updated, and also, Rick had been busy with some other things.

BUT...I do have some fairly recent photos for you. I will set them up below.

There were some issues with the rear of the frame that had to be addressed. So, Rick, being the welding/body guru that he is, took the time to repair a specific part. I can't go into a whole lot of detail, but a patch had to be welded into the rear of the frame.

I had also purchased some new air bags for the rear suspension as well as rear lower control arms.

Here are some progress photos from July 30th through August 16th.

Getting the patch set.

Patch welded in.

Grinding down the welds to smooth out the patch.

The new panhard bar is adjustable and the air lines will be routed up to the fuel tank door to fill without getting under the car to fill.

As you can see the air bags are in, as are the new rear trailing arms and the back half of the frame is done. The new tires and wheels have been ordered from Coker Tire. Corvette Rallye 15x8 with 275/60R15 in the rear and 15x7 245/60R15 in the front, BF Goodrich T/A’s.

Next, we see the LT-1 engine sitting on a palate so Rick can get started prepping the front end for any repairs that may need to be done.

Front half before...

Front half after...
With the tubular upper A-arms and all new bushings for upper and lower A-arms. There is a 1” sway bar to replace the stock one. The bushings are polyurethane.

Also, may have an issue with the engine and A/C pump. The issue is, that the hoses for the A/C lines running to the pump will have interference from the motor mount on the left bank of the engine. So, we are looking at fabricating a bracket (or if a company makes a relocation bracket) to put the A/C pump on the upper right bank of the engine for hose clearance. Could be interesting.

Well, that's all I have for now. Talk at ya the next update.

The Grouchy one.
Last edited by G.O.B. on Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Damn, Pop.

The old girl is lookin pretty good. Really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

DJButton
Car: 2010 Nissan 240sx

Awesome progress, love this build!

PyR0NiAk

DJButton wrote:Awesome progress, love this build!
:werd:

G.O.B.

DJButton wrote:Awesome progress, love this build!
Glad everyone is enjoying it. I am enjoying it as well, even though it's vicariously through Rick as he builds her back to glory for me.

Anyway, I have some more pictures for you with an update on the front suspension.
Enjoy!

Mark,

Here're some pics of the front suspension completed. ALL bushings and lower ball Joints replaced. All A-arm bushings are urethane upper and lower...This car should handle GREAT!!!!!!!!!

The Ole Man in Missouri......ENJOY!

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Got a nice looking rolling frame going on right there, pop.

Looking forward to seeing it with the Corvette Rally wheels.

GrilledCheese33
Car: 2008 Xterra, 1972 Yamaha R5, 2017 Sea Doo Spark Trixx

This thread rocks!!!

G.O.B.

Gold Digger wrote:Got a nice looking rolling frame going on right there, pop.

Looking forward to seeing it with the Corvette Rally wheels.

Son,

Ask and ye shall receive.

I have an update for ya today, courtesy of our good friend (and auto restorer), Rockin Rick, down in Missouri.

Mark,

Just some more eye candy for you to view. Much of the interior came in this morning and it sure does look VERY NICE!!! I did not unwrap everything as it arrived in good shape and is packaged very well. Door panels are sweet. It sure is good to see quality stuff made here in the Good Ole U.S.A. I'll e-mail the tire info in a few minutes.

Rick

Interior bits..

Headlight and grill support pieces.

Corvette Rallye wheels with BFGoodrich Radial T/A's. BEEFY!!

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

HOT DAMN! I have to admit, I thought there would be a lot more rubber hanging off the sides of 7" and 8" wide wheels, but man, those look HOT! Now, get the trim rings and center caps on there!!!

Looking good, pop. Thanks for the updates.

BallzDeep1.9L
Car: '02 WRX Wagon: SOLD
'93 240SX Coupe: SOLD
'11 Ram: SOLD
'11 F-150: rotted into oblivion
'17 Frontier: Basic AF

looks good Mark, this is my first post on NICO in a LONG TIME, lol, glad to see its really getting going. Keep us posted

P.S. the wedding invitation is in the mail

Return to “General Chat”