Roof Panel Dents

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

tkogrady wrote:I have a 2010 G37 I bought new. About a month after I bought it, I found two dents in the roof, one above each door. The dealer claimed I left something in the truck, damaged the roof myself and wouldn't fix it. I appealed to the regional service rep - and no dice - so I had to pay $600 to fix the dents. Fast forward - the roof has been rattling like crazy and after 5 visits and 19 days in the shop, I finally put a claim into the Better Business Bureau. Infiniti now says the rattle is my fault and points to this incident two years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wh_Asiup0Y

I know a number of other people have had this problem, there is a whole thread on the Nissan owners website. If you have had similar issues with dents and rattles in your convertible, drop me a line at [email protected]. If I get enough responses, I'm going to look into a potential class action lawsuit.
:confused:
You could have resolved these issue via Infiniti Customer service as both issue is related to manufacturing issues, your dealer (don't know where) is not helpful at all. There are TSB for both issues and should be fixable issue. BBB will not do much -IMHO. I can tell you it's the dealer's lack of knowledge and attitude. I know bunch of vert owners had the problems fixed and paid for by Infiniti. I don't or didn't have dent problems but yes rattle which got fixed after new TSB 12-003. The roof dents had to do with roof hydraulics not functioning correctly/ Good LUCK

ctnv
Car: 2012 Infintiy G37 Convertible

Just today I noticed the roof panel dents exact on both sides of the middle roof panel. I think they were caused by some, what seems to be, alignment attachments to the inner part of the panel that is directly below this middle panel as it sits in the trunk bed. It must be a design flaw. The car just turned 4k miles and was purchased new on June 23rd, pick up date.
I will call the dealer to find out if there is a recall on this or get them to fix the problem and dents. Wish me luck. This is my wife's car and other than this problem she loves it so far.

TexasChick74
Car: Infinity G37 Convertible 2011

I have a 2011...and I also have the dents. I am trying to get them repaired at a paintless dent repair shop. Do you know if the dealership will fix them? I'm still under warranty...

cmesurf

This shoudl be covered under your warranty, this has to do with roof hydraulic system.

GVERT
Car: 2009 G37 Convertible

I am a Jonny-come-lately to this site.
I am in the GTA - very few G-verts around.
bought mine in Buffalo (2009) - saved a bundle
PROBLEM: when roof up it drives like a can of nail - noisy and bumpy. Anyone have these same issues. Almost feel like I am in a bumpy blender. Thinking of getting all the rubber paneling replaced?
otherwise, love the car

cmesurf

Should get it fixed under warrant, I have a 09 but no such issues.

ATLcple
Car: 2010 G37 conv 7AT
Graphite Shadow/Graphite w/maple

Just bought a used 2010 G37 vert in Oct 2013. VERY happy with how well the previous owner took care of it. It was one of the FEW used G37's that I looked at that DID NOT have these roof dents I am reading about here. About HALF of the used ones I saw did have the exact dents you have all described. Many of the used car dealers are retelling the story that they are caused by retracting the top with items in the trunk. I am a bit afraid after reading some posts here that it in fact might be possible to get these dents with the top stowed properly and just hitting a pothole or bump or curb while driving! I can avoid the former...I might not be able to avoid the latter.

Is there actually a general consensus here over whether or not this damage is covered under warranty? If I get them while NEVER stowing the top improperly, will it be repaired by Infiniti. I have the basic warranty now and will be buying an extended 3yr/36,000mile additional warranty in mid-2014.

cmesurf

ATLcple wrote:Just bought a used 2010 G37 vert in Oct 2013. VERY happy with how well the previous owner took care of it. It was one of the FEW used G37's that I looked at that DID NOT have these roof dents I am reading about here. About HALF of the used ones I saw did have the exact dents you have all described. Many of the used car dealers are retelling the story that they are caused by retracting the top with items in the trunk. I am a bit afraid after reading some posts here that it in fact might be possible to get these dents with the top stowed properly and just hitting a pothole or bump or curb while driving! I can avoid the former...I might not be able to avoid the latter.

Is there actually a general consensus here over whether or not this damage is covered under warranty? If I get them while NEVER stowing the top improperly, will it be repaired by Infiniti. I have the basic warranty now and will be buying an extended 3yr/36,000mile additional warranty in mid-2014.
This issue rare but is covered by warranty, go see your dealer.

whereegosdare
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37S convertible with manual transmission, black

I have experienced the roof panel dents caused by my own error. I rarely put anything in the trunk but one time I put a 24 pack of bottled water in plastic bottles in the trunk without dropping the gate down. some time later I opened the top and it hung up after ~ 90% completion. I closed the top and the dents were there. darn! I was thankful that this was the only issue that resulted.

Rjbrown409
Car: 2009 G37 convertible

This sounds to me like a design defect. Any car that can hurt itself by "pushing a button wrong" is defective. Can you say class action lawsuit. Our dealer tried to blame us also. The only thing in the trunk is the first aid kit that Infiniti put there. Never touched or moved, my wife did not even know it was there. Car only has 18500 mile and has been treated with the greatest care.

Rjbrown409
Car: 2009 G37 convertible

Infiniti paid to repair the roof and open the trunk and get the top working properly. Infiniti also paid to do the bodywork to repair the top damage. The only thing in the trunk of the car when it quit working was the first aid kit Infiniti put there when the car was brand-new.

chichi
Car: 2088 EX 35 Journey
2011 G37S Limited Edition Convertible

Noticed dings on roof and after several trips to dealership with erratic roof performance, they would repair, fail again and repair. Alarm going off for no reason, staying on and making the roof inoperable. Took the car in for several days and brought in an Infiniti Convertible expert who helped a lot. I then noticed these dings the same place as all have described mentioned to dealer recently ( roof stuck in mid op ( 90 degree day) and he said can't help you call Infiniti. Spoke with Consumer Affairs and pointed out the dings on the roof could not be caused by something accidentally left in the trunk. I swore that is not how this damage occurred to no avail. Although polite I was denied claiming the dents were caused by operator error. This is such BS that I can say without reservation I've bought my last Infiniti.

PoeDameron
Car: 2012 Infiniti G37S Convertible - Lapis Blue/Stone White

So I'm new here, and my wife and I have just bought our 2012 G37S convertible out of its 3 year lease. We've had the same roof divots everyone here has complained about since about the 2nd month we had the car and we were told all the same things by the dealer that we've read here... that it was our fault - something must have been in the trunk, or stopped the opening/closing in mid-operation, etc. We've decided to live with it because 1) they want $600 to repair it at the body shop and 2) as easily as it happened the first time, there's no guarantee it won't happen all over again, so why flush $600 down the toilet? So I guess my main question is this: Has anyone gotten positive confirmation that Infiniti has in fact addressed this as a manufacturing defect and will now repair this at no cost to the customer? OR is there any information regarding how it can be kept from ever happening again? Like I said, we've been living with it out of fear that it will just happen all over again. Shame for a 55K vehicle to have this kind of problem, but we love the car anyway for all the other reasons you guys do....

Any responses are greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Poe D.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”