Rogue Heater Questions

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Maximus099
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Thanks.

ras_oscar

I drove to work this AM in my 2012 rogue in 20F outside weather with no issues. Heat came up within the first couple miles. I always run it set on 75F, auto, auto. That way the blower doesn't come on until the heater core sees hot water.

One thing i have noticed on both of my Nissans is that the radiator hoses are a good deal smaller diameter than on older American cars. Perhaps the hoses move less water and therefore less heat from the block to the heater core.

One other thing to the OP, check to be sure your radiator (and by extension the heater core) is not plugged with scale. Hard water could accelerate deposits in the heater core passages and slow down the flow of water through the system. Just take the radiator cap off (when the engine is STONE COLD unless you want to scald your face off) and verify the passages are open.

Sorry to hear you are having problems. Please keep is posted especially if/how you resolve the isue!!!

MQXtrail
Car: Nissan X Trail

I need to comment because the info being given by ImStriken is flat out wrong. Adding water to your antifreeze will dilute it and lower your protection when comes to freezing your engine block and rad in very cold weather. A 50-50 mix will protect to -36 Celcius, assuming its new and this decreases as it gets older. Running a higher mix such as 60% antifreeze and water lowers the freezing point and will see your engine run at a slightly higher operating temperature.
The key factor in your heater working properly is getting the engine up to proper operating temperatures, and with the Nissan 4 cyl this usually requires a bit of driving. Just idling on a very cold day will not get it up to temp quickly, and consequently there wont be much heat transfer as there is little heat for the coolant to absorb.
Going with a higher water % mix is fine in warmer climates, in areas that see real cold its a recipe for disaster seeing your coolant will actually freeze solid at when a deep freeze sets. If you only have 40% antifreeze and 60% water this can happen at -25 Celcius. At -20 C or the equivalent -4 F, your coolant would be slush and you will strain your water pump.
This is easy to research for anyone who cares to inform themselves.
If your heater is not working properly most probable cause is air in the system.
Reducing the actual amount of antifreeze in your cooling system is not a good idea for anyone living in a colder climate.

JLD94
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue S Moonlight White

So far this year my heater is doing better than last year. It actually heats up decently (75% of the time), if I turn it full temp and full fan speed.

I would still like for it to do better, but it's a big jump over last year

pteodor
Car: Nissan Rogue 2014 SV

Hi,
I have a problem with my 2014 SV Rogue. After using the defogg and switching to normal ventilation, the AC compressor is still "ON". You can hear it by turning "off" and then "on" the ventilation knob. After turning the AC "on" and then "off", the problem will dissapear. Did any of the owners of a similar model encounter this problem?
Thanks!
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

pteodor

I just returned from service. It seems it's "normal" for manual A/C and all Rogues with manual ventilation should work like this.
What do you think: as a driver, are you supposed to know if the A/C is on? For me is very frustrating not having an indication that the A/C is "on". :mad:

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

in all seriousness, who cares? lol.

pteodor

Honestly, I'm really annoyed. It seems they changed the compressor or something and the driver shouldn't care if the A/C is on or not? Not to mention the extra gas we should pay for this "smart" innovation: the A/C compressor running all the time?!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

pteodor wrote:Hi,
I have a problem with my 2014 SV Rogue. After using the defogg and switching to normal ventilation, the AC compressor is still "ON". You can hear it by turning "off" and then "on" the ventilation knob. After turning the AC "on" and then "off", the problem will dissapear (sic). Did any of the owners of a similar model encounter this problem?
Thanks!
Just a heads up, I've merged this with an existing thread. We welcome everyone's input, but please first do a SEARCH, to see if anyone else has experienced a similar issue (If you look to the right side of your screen, you'll notice the RED flashing SEARCH link). ;)

pteodor

Thank you very much, Rogue One. Sorry I didn't search deep enough.
JLD94 - maybe your problem is the AC running al the time. As I mentioned in my previous posts, after using the defogg and switching to normal ventilation, the AC is still "on". This is normal, but it was a change in design and the AC light will NOT turn on (strange, isn't it?) and you cannot tell what's the status of the AC. So the driver of the car should take care of this and first turn on the AC and then turn it off in order to be sure that the compressor is off and no cold air is delivered. It doesn't make sense for me, but this is how the 2014 Nissan Rogue (manual AC) works...

JerseyJim
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue

It takes awhile to send decent heat. On the setting for legs or low angle it is not warm enough and If I don't set it to the upper and low and shut off the air recycle it is lame. Is this common? :crazy:

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

JerseyJim wrote:It takes awhile to send decent heat. On the setting for legs or low angle it is not warm enough and If I don't set it to the upper and low and shut off the air recycle it is lame. Is this common? :crazy:
:welcome: I've merged your post with an existing thread on this topic.

We have an incredible SEARCH feature on this forum.

memyself

Coming out of work yesterday, left my car to warm up for about 5 min. Full fan and heat on, nothing but cold air blowing in. None of the setting would work as I tried to change it. Went down to the dealer, unfortunately service was already closed. They did contact one of the technicians, thinking could be a fuse, he told them its most likely the settings panel that needs to be change. I'll bring the car in on Monday.

Maximus099

If I want heat I have to turn it completely clock wise and even if I let off a notch or two you feel the warm air drop a lot. Its like all or nothing.

outtolearn88
Car: Rogue SL AWD

Well, just to let everyone know I have the automatic climate control and it's just as bad. The lack of heat is troublesome !
I've never had such a hard time to warm up the inside of a car. Just don't understand why the design of HVAC is so poor :confused: Don't they do cold and hot weather testing ? How can the dealers not report this problems back to Nissan is beyond me.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

its a small engine guys. it doesnt generate a lot of heat. you could literally empty out the radiator fluid, and drive around like nothing. this engine wont over-heat. the amount of space in the engine bay aids in cooling all on itself.

when i did my coolant drain last spring, i changed the 50/50 coolant ratio into something like a 60/40 ratio. that certainly helped increase heat production, but it did reduce the anti-freezing properties. normal 50/50 coolant mixture has a freezing temp of: -37C / -35F. so by making a 60/40 or 70/30 water to coolant ratio, i probably reduced the -35F to -20. which is fine. i live in NJ

memyself

5.56 I had a versa, sentra they have smaller engines then rouge and never experienced such a problems with heating.
Maximus099, well said "Its like all or nothing" same situation here.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

memyself wrote:5.56 I had a versa, sentra they have smaller engines then rouge and never experienced such a problems with heating.
Maximus099, well said "Its like all or nothing" same situation here.
i just threw that idea out there, to calm the nerves of people. its not a broken car or a serious problem. i assume its got something to do with the thermostat.

my v6 maxima heated up quickly and was very effective. this rogue sucks at heating. it also suck sat supplying ample heat to the feet.

Maximus099

Actually I get my heat quite quickly but it's either 100f in the car or 40f. Maybe I should blast the heat and open the roof to balance it out. lol

Ferrisfan
Car: 2014 Rogue SL FWD w/ Premium Package

My heat doesn't seem to get very warm on "Auto" mode. If I max out the temperature setting and the blower setting, the air gets as hot as my old PT Cruiser.

keeko785

First time poster. 2013 Rogue Manual Climate control

My Land Rover required service so I decided to tow it 300 miles so I have been sharing my Girl's car for the past 60 days.

First impressions of the vehicle is not impressive.

We had to jump start the vehicle 3 times during the first year of ownership and jump started it twice the second year we owned it. We had the battery replaced under warranty(dealer said it only had a 1 year warranty but warrantied it anyways).

The other problem we had was with the A/C fan "whistling" when turned to max, dealer replaced and it is going back because it didn't fix the issue.
We religiously replace the filter...

The other problem is the paint is chipping from the bottom of the vehicle(we don't drive gravel roads unless we decide to go pick berries or something random...)

The other main issue I am seeing is the vehicle struggles to warm up. Our speed limits are 75MPH and driving straight north into the wind means the vehicle will hardly be able to warm up. We live in a small city (10 miles to get anywhere) and generally vehicle never achieves comfortable temp unless we leave it running the entire time we run errands.

Since purchasing the vehicle we have recently installed a remote start system and a heated driver seat(cloth seats thank god)

The remote start system helps but still it seems I pretty much leave the vehicle run all day long while I run into each store.

I contacted the dealer to see if we could install a engine block heater to heat the engine cooland or engine block but they explained they don't make one for the vehicle and if they were to put one in it would be an adhesive model for $125 ($30 at local auto parts stores)

Lots of diesel trucks in the area use cold fronts but I don't feel this is necessary for a 2013 model...

RyleyinSTL
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Pkg.

I contacted the dealer to see if we could install a engine block heater to heat the engine cooland or engine block but they explained they don't make one for the vehicle and if they were to put one in it would be an adhesive model for $125 ($30 at local auto parts stores)
Lies. Nissan uses the 2.5L in many many applications world wide and all of them have a port for a block heater. Remove the plug and screw in the block heater (also replace gasket). In some markets (such as Canada) nearly EVERY SINGLE NISSAN CAR sold nation wide comes installed with such a device. The dealer your using is clearly daft.

Saying that...unless you are consistently getting overnight lows below say -15c, it's not really required.

phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

RyleyinSTL wrote:
Lies. Nissan uses the 2.5L in many many applications world wide and all of them have a port for a block heater. Remove the plug and screw in the block heater (also replace gasket). In some markets (such as Canada) nearly EVERY SINGLE NISSAN CAR sold nation wide comes installed with such a device. The dealer your using is clearly daft.

Saying that...unless you are consistently getting overnight lows below say -15c, it's not really required.
We batted the block heater subject around for a few months last year. Look here:

post6613719.html?hilit=Block%20Heater#p6613719

Remember to use the search function. My motto here is: "Search First - ask questions later."

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i drained my stock engine coolant, and refilled it with a 60/40 mixture this year, versus a 50/50, and i gotta say there is a noticeable improvement. it certainly heats up quicker, and produces a slightly warmer cabin.

YES: using more water reduces your freezing protection in the winter
YES: water IS the best thing for an engine in the summer. water has better thermal conductivity that engine coolant.
YES: all cars in the desert use straight water, with a cup of engine coolant to protect the seals.

normal 50/50 coolant mixture has a freezing temp of: -37C / -35F.
so by making a 60/40 or 70/30 water to coolant ratio, i probably reduced the -35F to -20. which is fine. i live in NJ

phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

5.56 wrote:i drained my stock engine coolant, and refilled it with a 60/40 mixture this year, versus a 50/50, and i gotta say there is a noticeable improvement. it certainly heats up quicker, and produces a slightly warmer cabin.

YES: water IS the best thing for an engine in the summer. water has better thermal conductivity that engine coolant.
YES: all cars in the desert use straight water, with a cup of engine coolant to protect the seals.

so by making a 60/40 or 70/30 water to coolant ratio, i probably reduced the -35F to -20. which is fine. i live in NJ
And when refilling I always use distilled water - not tap water. No minerals. Up to you...

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

phmichel wrote:
5.56 wrote:i drained my stock engine coolant, and refilled it with a 60/40 mixture this year, versus a 50/50, and i gotta say there is a noticeable improvement. it certainly heats up quicker, and produces a slightly warmer cabin.

And when refilling I always use distilled water - not tap water. No minerals. Up to you...
thats pretty obvious. i didnt think i needed to clarify on that lol

wchunter
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

I drove my wife's 2015 Rogue for the first time this evening in cold weather. We've had the vehicle since April. We drove for 10 minutes after the temperature hand reached warm, and with the fan at the medium level, the heat was never above comfortable. After wee got home, I had the temp turned up to 90 and the heater would not throw out hot air unless we were sitting still and the vent pointing straight out. When I took the vehicle in for its first oil change, I informed the dealership that the AC was never "cold" and they attributed it to "too much freon" in the system. My Tacoma will run you out if I turn my heater on high after it warms up. Is this a normal heater for the Rogue? The outside temp coming home tonight was 27

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

wchunter wrote:I drove my wife's 2015 Rogue for the first time this evening in cold weather. We've had the vehicle since April. We drove for 10 minutes after the temperature hand reached warm, and with the fan at the medium level, the heat was never above comfortable. After wee got home, I had the temp turned up to 90 and the heater would not throw out hot air unless we were sitting still and the vent pointing straight out. When I took the vehicle in for its first oil change, I informed the dealership that the AC was never "cold" and they attributed it to "too much freon" in the system. My Tacoma will run you out if I turn my heater on high after it warms up. Is this a normal heater for the Rogue? The outside temp coming home tonight was 27
Merged with existing thread. Please see previous posts.

See also: heater-does-not-work-good-t567799.html (1st gen).
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo

pteodor

wchunter wrote:I drove my wife's 2015 Rogue for the first time this evening in cold weather. We've had the vehicle since April. We drove for 10 minutes after the temperature hand reached warm, and with the fan at the medium level, the heat was never above comfortable. After wee got home, I had the temp turned up to 90 and the heater would not throw out hot air unless we were sitting still and the vent pointing straight out. When I took the vehicle in for its first oil change, I informed the dealership that the AC was never "cold" and they attributed it to "too much freon" in the system. My Tacoma will run you out if I turn my heater on high after it warms up. Is this a normal heater for the Rogue? The outside temp coming home tonight was 27

Press the A/C button twice and see if the heating is better after that.

pteodor

I forgot to mention: when pressin the AC twice, the ventilation mode should be Foot, B/L or Vent . DEF or D/F work with AC on.

Return to “Rogue Forum”