Rogue Heater Questions

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
yearoftherat
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Rogue One wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:33 pm
rec1 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:13 pm
2017 Rogue Sport is slow to warm up and put out heat. Northern Ohio 20 minutes running and the needle is just moving off the cold peg on the temp gauge. Auto climate control never turns the blower on because the engine temp is to low to put out heat. Anybody else had this problem?
The Rogue Sport is a slightly smaller version of the Rogue, and the heating system works the same in all versions. Topics merged. Please read through the previous posts.
The Rogue Sport aka: Qashqai has a smaller engine and considering your location, its no surprise that it takes time to warm up. Come up to north of the border where temps have been as low as -17*C and see what happens. My 2015 Rogue is not the best for heat in such temperatures.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

This is not a question, but a little concern... I live in Florida and have no issues with my 2016 Rogue at all with 44k miles, coming to 45k soon.. However, the same issue is there on my Accord and I had to replace the heater control unit (the thing below the HU on the Rogue). I do find the 4 cyl to be very small as many of you stated, even when compared to the motor of my Accord. The Q25 engine (found in our Rogues) is smaller than any K and F series motors that Honda makes. I will see how the car' A/C system handles in Miami's heat as I might use the Rogue as a highway vehicle and we also bought it there too.

drummerguy
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV FWD

Brought my car in today to the dealer so he could check out the heating system to see if it is working properly. When I mentioned poor heater performance in subzero temperatures the service advisor knew right away what I was talking about. He did say I should not expect stellar heating with the nissan vehicles but perhaps they could improve it a little bit. Anyways they bled the cooling system and said there was a small amount of air in it. Also they "checked mode door operation". and "reset the door motor starting position".
I drove this evening when it was -14 c. and it worked fine..........but until we get some real bone chilling temperatures like -25 or -30 c. I cannot determine for sure whether there is any real improvement...

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

No car on the planet can heat correctly from say 115 degrees in the summer down to some of the minus temps reported in this thread, people either get that or they don't. The cooling systems are simply not that highly advanced.

Look at any diesel truck on the planet and the shrouds they commonly have on the front of the trucks in winter, those are quarter million dollar trucks there and they STILL do not get hot enough in winter.

The systems are limited by having to dissipate enough heat in the summer, that automatically predisposes the design to make insufficient heat in the global warming winters we are now seeing. If your system seems to be working fine (the stats must be working fine) other than not hot enough at the heater then block a small portion of the radiator with say a piece of cardboard and I assure you the temperatures WILL go up. You may have to play with the amount of blockage there. The square inch of the radiator surface is too big to let the heaters work in those super cold temps.

I was doing that on 2.0 liter Pintos in the early '70s in Texas, the only way you could get the heater to work acceptably.

They sent us to school to figure this stuff out, let's do something with it.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

My daily driver is a diesel and amc49 is correct. You can block part of the radiator with cardboard or some of the plastic cardboard you can find at craft places like michaels , hobby lobby or even Walmart. Some of the craft stores even sell it in colors.
You will have to be careful not to leave it on after warmer weather comes.

The heat in my Rogue works well, even my wife doesn’t complain. Of course I may be guilty of comparing it to my diesel. In reading some of the complaints in this thread I think that many have the climate control and when they set it at 72 that’s what they expect. In the brutal cold we’ve experienced this winter mechanical things don’t work as well. I’ve noticed that from the time when I was a kid.

Setting your climate control at 72 may work just fine when the temps are in the 40s, but when the temperature is near 0 or below you throw that fancy digital gauge out the window and crank the heat up as far as it will go. If it gets to hot you can always turn it down.

That’s why I mentioned earlier that even though the new heat gauges have numbers instead of red and blue lines you still essentially have low, medium and high settings on a car heater. If you climbed into a car and many of you know exactly what I’m talking about, and it’s cold out the first thing you do after you start is adjust the heat. In older style cars with the lines we would turn the knob to full or high heat. When and if it became to hot we’d turn it down.

Now we get in and expect the fancy digital heater control that cost a $1k extra dollars for our particular package to take care of that. If you want heat when it’s really cold turn that digital control as far up,as it goes, 90 good, 100 better and then after it gets to warm turn it back to medium or whatever suits you.

This is a little story about heat and traveling. We have some Amish folk in our area. About 3 years ago I was in a neighboring town with my diesel and it’s cold out about 10F the wind is blowing and the snow is falling. It was miserable but in my car I was warm and I thought about how nice it was my toes were warm and so were my hands. Life was good. Just about that time I saw an Amish buggy come around the corner the man driving the horses and a little boy about 6-7 years old. That little guy is laying across his dads lap trying to stay warm, they are both covered with blankets and I could tell they were both still cold.

No matter how your heater works it’s still better than traveling in an open buggy on a day like that.

tubbinox
Car: 2015 Nissan rogue

Anybody resolve the heater problem? Mine gets lukewarm if backed off at all from maximum temp.

Rogue Jarhead

I drove around in my Rogue a week or so ago and plugged my ultragauge into the obd port so I could see what the coolant temperature was doing. My 2011 has a 190 degree thermostat and my water temperature once it was warmed up stayed right in a fairly narrow range of 180-200 which is right where it ought to be. Closer to 200 when under load going uphill and in the 180’s when going downhill and not under load. I have plenty of heat and my Rogue seems to be operating correctly.

What I’m wishing is that someone who has a serious complaint about their heat, will get one of those $10 ELM (something-or-other) obd readers and check their water temperature to see if it ever warms up to the correct operating temperature.

If someone does then please report back so maybe we can get a feel for whether this is a thermostat problem or something else.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... ZY2MSPV63D

The torque app that these run on is free I’m told.

16roguesv
Car: 2016 Rogue sv

Hello all, I realize It's been a year since anything was said on this. However this thread tends to come up on just about every Nissan Rogue heater search I've done and I wanted to share some of my "fixes".

As the name indicates I have a 2016 Rogue sv. Left to its own devices it takes for ever to heat up and once at operating temp will have intermittent hot air. As in it will fluctuate from 90f to 150f depending on whether the motor is at idle or not. During the change in heater output the engine coolant temps remain unchanged. While 90f may seem hot it is not when you are trying to keep the windshield clear with temps below 0f.

After reading through countless threads on the subject and going several rounds with the dealership trying to get it fixed I stumbled upon what I believe to be the root of my problems. When the car is started and switched to or through any mode that has a defrost option it kicks on the ac and both engine cooling fans, regardless of the motor temp. Cycleing the ac button on and back off kills the fans and ac allowing the vehicle to warm up in an expected amount of time. Likewise, with the ac/fans on the output at the vents bounces around 80-90, cycle the ac button on then off and the temp "magically" rises to about 140f.

For reference the ac has always worked fine. It has never exhibited any of the ac issues so many others have had trouble with. Now that I can duplicate the problem I'm gonna see if the dealer wants to try and fix it or just chalk it up to "thats just how it's programmed".

MrX.
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

We are having problems with the heating system on our 2014 Rogue (160k km). We live in Canada and during cold tempretures -10C and below the heater barely produces any heat and takes a long time to heat up.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I was going to flush the heater core, coolant and change the thermostat to try and resolve the issue. I cn't seem to find any DIY on this topic, specifically for heaqter core flush and thermostat locations (apparantly there are 2)

Any help/input is appreciated
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

MrX. wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:13 pm
We are having problems with the heating system on our 2014 Rogue (160k km). We live in Canada and during cold tempretures -10C and below the heater barely produces any heat and takes a long time to heat up.

I was going to flush the heater core, coolant and change the thermostat to try and resolve the issue. I cn't seem to find any DIY on this topic, specifically for heaqter core flush and thermostat locations (apparantly there are 2)

Welcome to NICO! We have an incredible SEARCH feature on this forum. Merged with existing thread. If you read through the previous posts you'll find others have experienced similar problems and have offered solutions.

BTW, there's some crucial info missing about your vehicle. What trim level do you have? Is it a Select which is a 1st gen model, or a 2nd gen with an S, SV, or SL. To get the best solution to your problems we need to exactly which generation you own.

DTASFAB

datechboss101 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:07 pm
This is not a question, but a little concern... I live in Florida and have no issues with my 2016 Rogue at all with 44k miles, coming to 45k soon.. However, the same issue is there on my Accord and I had to replace the heater control unit (the thing below the HU on the Rogue). I do find the 4 cyl to be very small as many of you stated, even when compared to the motor of my Accord. The Q25 engine (found in our Rogues) is smaller than any K and F series motors that Honda makes. I will see how the car' A/C system handles in Miami's heat as I might use the Rogue as a highway vehicle and we also bought it there too.
I know this post is almost two years old, but there are lots of ideas being floated about in the CR-V forum I've joined regarding warm-up time. Given it's late December, it's definitely the relevant time of year to be wondering about these things.

I'm curious if your Accord has the 1.5 turbo engine that can also be found in some Civics and CR-Vs, and whether you've noticed any oil dilution (fuel getting into the engine and mixing with the oil, causing the oil level to rise).

Rogue Jarhead

MrX. wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:13 pm

Here is a link to the cooling system part of the fsm. If you change the thermostats out make sure you use oem not the $5 specials from autozone or similar place. Go to Nissan and buy them across the parts counter. I’ve paid as much as $45 for an oem vw thermostat before, just don’t cheap out on such an important part. If the thermostat fails open your vehicle never gets to proper operating temperature even in the summer. If it fails closed your engine overheats. I am really curious as to whether a new thermostat (s) solve this little to no heat problem. Please report back with work done and the results good or bad.

https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Rogue/2014%20Rogue/CO.pdf

MrX.

Rogue Jarhead wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:34 am

Here is a link to the cooling system part of the fsm. If you change the thermostats out make sure you use oem not the $5 specials from autozone or similar place. Go to Nissan and buy them across the parts counter. I’ve paid as much as $45 for an oem vw thermostat before, just don’t cheap out on such an important part. If the thermostat fails open your vehicle never gets to proper operating temperature even in the summer. If it fails closed your engine overheats. I am really curious as to whether a new thermostat (s) solve this little to no heat problem. Please report back with work done and the results good or bad.

https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Rogue/2014%20Rogue/CO.pdf
Thanks for the link! Weird thing is that I don't see a second thermostat in that document.. just one on the inlet side

Today I spent some time de-airing the cooling system and also observing operation of the radiator fans. I had the car running for at least half an hour, did not observe any air bubbles, also did not see either of the fans kick in at any time, with engine temp holding steady. I would have expected once the thermostat opens for one or both the fans kick in. I find this a bit strange

I did also observe that, as mentioned by the fellow Canadian above, once the system is put on any "defrost" setting will enable both fans to kick in and stay on, I suspect this to have been the culprit on the very cold day when I almost froze to death. The only way to turn off the fans is to cycle AC on then back off. This is good to know and obviously a design flaw

I just ordered a OBD2 dongle, next step is going to be observing coolant temperature for the next few weeks to get a gauge of what's going on. I will keep this thread posted

MrX.

Rogue One wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:16 pm
BTW, there's some crucial info missing about your vehicle. What trim level do you have? Is it a Select which is a 1st gen model, or a 2nd gen with an S, SV, or SL. To get the best solution to your problems we need to exactly which generation you own.
2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD - 2nd generation model

Return to “Rogue Forum”