Rogue Break-In Period?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I wouldn't worry about it too much either, unless you're planning on taking your brand new car for a several thousand kilometer highway trip right after purchasing it, and in that case just follow the recommendations stated in this thread. Most of us do enough city driving to adequately break-in the vehicle, and as long as you don't floor it every time you accelerate and brake overly hard, things will be ok.

An indicator of this is the fact that dealers rarely even mention this to you when you purchase your car. I feel they should at least make buyers aware of it as a friendly reminder before they drive away, particularly in light of the fact that you shouldn't accelerate or brake too hard during the break-in period, but like I said for MOST people it's a non-issue. Happy driving!

johny_maple
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue S FWD

Now at about 700 km and finding the S FWD so smooth I find myself going faster than I should or want to. 110-120 km/h on the highway and 60 km/h in 40 and 50km/h speed zones! I haul back of course which contributes to the varying-speed routine if nothing else. Loving the car.

engineer20
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Package

The rogue was just driven from michigan to Washington, D.C. ANd back. The mileage before was 3300 and after was 4800 all in just a few days. Planning an oil change soon. Was this bad for the car or no? Or am I past the first break in or is the engine not broken in until the first oil change?

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

90% of the time, new cars that come off the manufacturer line, are driven hard. that "breaks in" your engine.

the best engine break in, is where you gun the crap out of it. that seats everything internally. you're also supposed to do that every month, to not build up a ledge internally on the ridge of the cylinder. by stretching the piston and rod - you remove any ledge or carbon build up.

followingnfront
Car: 2017 Maxima S

I have 592 miles on my new Rogue. Taking a trip from NY to FL in a week.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

your engine is already broken in. try and continue to vary the speeds when on the highway. i have done this trip about 20+ times. good luck.

ps: possession of blue lights (even if they are not plugged in) in Florida is a felony.
speeding in Virginia is a felony.
radar detectors in Virginia, Tennessee, south Carolina is a crime.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

ps: fixed this thread title.

followingnfront

I got pulled over in Jacksonville FL and wasn't even asked about the lights. How can they prove the color of my lights if the lenses are clear?

Also, how can VA get away with speeding being a felony? EVERYBODY has sped at some point in their lives.... There were people speeding on the road in VA.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

you are lucky that ONE GUY, didnt care. he knew you were out of state, and didnt care to put in the time and effort to haggle you. he might have been 30mins from finishing his shift, and didnt care to extend his shift lol

they cant make you turn them on, but they can take them under reasonable suspicion - and get a warrant to turn them on.
Section 843.081(2), Florida Statutes, prohibits the presence of blue lights on any nongovernmentally owned vehicle, regardless of whether the blue lights are actually in use.
that means even if they are unplugged, and under your seat = thats still "the presence of of blue lights"
Also, how can VA get away with speeding being a felony? EVERYBODY has sped at some point in their lives.... There were people speeding on the road in VA.
you have to be going above like 15 or 25 mph in order to constitute felony. you also get arrested on the spot, and you can become a felon for life.
there were a couple nj sheriffs officers coming back from huricane katrina (helping out) and they got popped in virginia. guess what; they all got arrested and if i remember correctly 2 or 3 guys lost their jobs because felons cant own guns. yea, its that serious.

followingnfront

5.56 wrote:you are lucky that ONE GUY, didnt care. he knew you were out of state, and didnt care to put in the time and effort to haggle you. he might have been 30mins from finishing his shift, and didnt care to extend his shift lol

they cant make you turn them on, but they can take them under reasonable suspicion - and get a warrant to turn them on.
Section 843.081(2), Florida Statutes, prohibits the presence of blue lights on any nongovernmentally owned vehicle, regardless of whether the blue lights are actually in use.
that means even if they are unplugged, and under your seat = thats still "the presence of of blue lights"
you have to be going above like 15 or 25 mph in order to constitute felony. you also get arrested on the spot, and you can become a felon for life.
there were a couple nj sheriffs officers coming back from huricane katrina (helping out) and they got popped in virginia. guess what; they all got arrested and if i remember correctly 2 or 3 guys lost their jobs because felons cant own guns. yea, its that serious.
Well I guess that settles it... No more speeding in VA and get red lights lol

engineer20

Is 3300 miles after the breakin period or no? The rogue was taken on a long distance trip from 3300 to 4800 miles in half a week back and forth from michigan. Mostly higway so it was at a constant speed. Oil changed for free at dealer for the first time after the trip. Was this bad for the car or could the car have handled it at 3300 miles? No cvt issues as of now and it got good fuel economy 32mpg as advertised on the trip. 2015 rogue bought half a year ago in mid November. Was I past the break in or not yet and is the dealer oil synthetic? Should I do synthetic for the next oil change or no since it's not broken in yet? When is it fully broken in or when does it start to get broken in and how can I tell it's been broken in? Better mpg?

engineer20

so was 3-4k a bad time to do a long distance highway trip of 1000+ miles?

phjake
Car: 2015 Murano SL

engineer20 wrote:so was 3-4k a bad time to do a long distance highway trip of 1000+ miles?
You should be okay. According to the 2015 Rogue owner's manual the break-in period is the first 1,200 miles.

followingnfront

I didn't even see anything about a break-in period in my 2015 manual...

I was looking for when to do the first oil change to change out the oil from the break-in period. I found nothing...

The 2012 Manual said something like 3250 miles or something like that...

I drove my Rogue to Florida with like 600 miles on it, so don't sweat it. I've got 7k miles now with no probs.

phjake
Car: 2015 Murano SL

followingnfront wrote:I didn't even see anything about a break-in period in my 2015 manual...

I was looking for when to do the first oil change to change out the oil from the break-in period. I found nothing...

The 2012 Manual said something like 3250 miles or something like that...

I drove my Rogue to Florida with like 600 miles on it, so don't sweat it. I've got 7k miles now with no probs.
The break-in schedule is on page 5-35 (starting and driving section) of my 2015 Rogue owner's manual. Check the index at the back of the manual and it's listed under B.

Return to “Rogue Forum”