Road noise in the 2015 Q70S, normal?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
RichMarth
Car: 2015 Q70 Sport

The car is my wife's but when I drive it every now and then, I feel the road noise may be a tad excessive. This is our first Infiniti and it is the sport model so I'm wondering how much difference, if any, the sport model suspension and wheel size make? I also wonder if the stock tires could be the culprit? Her previous car was a 2000 Lexus GS 300 which I didn't drive much but when I did I'd say it was quieter. I know they claim to have put more sound dampening materials in and/or noise cancelling features.

What thoughts do some of you guys have regarding road noise in Infiniti M's and Q's and what is or what isn't excessive? I can hear every change in road surface texture as I drive down the road and sometimes it can be annoying.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Rich

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

These cars are not what I would call "quiet", but they are also not noisy. Tires can make a huge difference. The Goodyear eagles that my Ms came with are rubbish. If you get a better quality tire (Continental, Hankook, Michelin) the road noise decreases significantly. However, even with Hankook (current) and Michelin (previous), you can hear different sounds on different roadways. Bridges seem to be the loudest for me, but on most blacktop motorways, the road noise is quite faint.
As for the sport V standard model, they do have different tuning and the sport has a slightly stiffer ride. I can't be sure, but I doubt the sport model would be noisier than the standard model.

mikedamageinc
Car: 2012 M37x Touring
1999 Camaro SS
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser
2008 Yukon Denali

Tires are probably the biggest difference. I have Michelin now and they are super quiet. My Camaro and G had Conti DWS and are a little noisy but are great all seasons including snow.

RichMarth
Car: 2015 Q70 Sport

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll be doing some research on tires when it comes time to replace the stock tires. I don't have to be going very fast for it's noticeable to me as soon as accelerating from a stop.

insanex1
Car: 2011 Malbec Black M37
R2C Intake
Kinetix HFC
Uprev
Eibach Springs
Tanabe strut bar
Akebono OEM
Paddle Shifters

mikedamageinc wrote:Tires are probably the biggest difference. I have Michelin now and they are super quiet. My Camaro and G had Conti DWS and are a little noisy but are great all seasons including snow.
Which michelins did you get?

beachbum718
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37 S

Mine came with summer bridge stones.not sure of the model.but they sucked and were noisy.once they were bald ,i got all season bridgestones that come on the 2013 m37 sport.for a great price.not from the stealership. They wanted 1900 lol.got mine fir 680 100 mail in rebate. Rode much better and could tell right away they were silent.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Just an FYI. My dealer (Lauderdale Inifniti) will match any price for tires. (but I suspect their rates for balancing, mounting, and alignment are higher than most tire shops)

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

Larz wrote:These cars are not what I would call "quiet", but they are also not noisy. Tires can make a huge difference. The Goodyear eagles that my Ms came with are rubbish. If you get a better quality tire (Continental, Hankook, Michelin) the road noise decreases significantly. However, even with Hankook (current) and Michelin (previous), you can hear different sounds on different roadways. Bridges seem to be the loudest for me, but on most blacktop motorways, the road noise is quite faint.
As for the sport V standard model, they do have different tuning and the sport has a slightly stiffer ride. I can't be sure, but I doubt the sport model would be noisier than the standard model.
My 2011 M37s came with Continental summer tires, they were kind of quite sometimes and kind of noisy on other occassions but it just depends on the type of surface your driving on. If you have the sport model, I would except some type of noise will be heard regardless of which brand of tires one might get.

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

Larz wrote:Just an FYI. My dealer (Lauderdale Inifniti) will match any price for tires. (but I suspect their rates for balancing, mounting, and alignment are higher than most tire shops)
I was under the impression mine would also - so I was told. However, recently I send them a quote from TireRack for a set of continentals, and they told me they couldn't get close to matching it...

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

beachbum718 wrote:Mine came with summer bridge stones.not sure of the model.but they sucked and were noisy.once they were bald ,i got all season bridgestones that come on the 2013 m37 sport.for a great price.not from the stealership. They wanted 1900 lol.got mine fir 680 100 mail in rebate. Rode much better and could tell right away they were silent.
I did the exact same thing as you. Was satisfied with mine, as far as noise - there are somewhat softer than the summer model. The wear is a bit premature . Looks like I might not even get 40k miles out of them , so will try continentals next time.

M37xfan
Car: Traded in 2012 Infiniti M37x

Crappy roads=more road noise :chuckle:

prsquash
Car: 06 M35 and 2012 M37

My 2016 is pretty good on the summers. Winters suck in any vehicule.

kj2005
Car: 2015 Q70s 3.7 AWD Obsidian Black and Graphite, with Sport Pkg, Sport Touring Pkg, Technology Pkg, Premium Pkg, Rear Spoiler, etc...

You have some good feedback and for 17 yrs of M and Q70 ownership I would agree the tire choice can matter a lot, plus if you replaced the factory windshield it seems that may allow for more noise once you've broken that factory seal. Dunno.

prsquash
Car: 06 M35 and 2012 M37

Never heard about the windshield and hopefully won't need to verify it!!
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm gonna hit the big guys with the break squealing. Being told it
's normal because of breaks from sport package is ludicrous.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”