Rising from the Ashes. The Rally 240SX rebuild thread.

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

Sorry for the long delay to the update. The holiday took up a lot of time, and then this happened, and that took just a little while to clean up. For reference, the middle vehicle is an SUV, and the far is a Chev Silverado.... Only got like 36" of snow over 2 days, with drifts 48"+.

IanS

Summer 2018. 24 Hours of Nelson Ledges, race day.

The alarms go off bright and early. We eat our last non trackside meal for a while, and head to the track.

We uncover the car, and move it to pit lane just in time for the drivers meeting. At the meeting they announce that they will be doing a single file start in pit order, with the leader being chosen by random draw. After the meeting a draw is done, and we are the luck winners, which means we will lead the pack for a parade lap behind the pace car. Yikes, thats a lot of pressure, good thing Mike is in the car first, and hes the coolest among us. We get him strapped into the car, and wait for a pit marshal to send him out. The temps are already in the 90's.

Mike is a cool and collected driver, which probably comes from age, hes at least twice my age. His 2 hours go nearly incident free. There are some very fast cars in the field, and the track is a tough place to pass without a hp advantage, but he does well. As he's getting out he warns me about how hard to steer the car is as he helps me strap in. Its my turn.

As I head out of the pits, I wonder what he meant by hard to steer. I quickly realize that the heat is taking a toll on the car, I can't draft for longer than a few seconds before the over temp light illuminates, and I need to get the nose in clean air. It only takes a few more laps before I figure it out the steering issue. The track being RH heavy, and our car lacking power steering, arm fatigue sets in quickly. I am pushing much harder than Mike was while trying to claw up the start order. I make it about an hour before it catches up with me. I had been chasing a very quick Miata for a few laps when my concentration slipped, and I slipped off the track exiting a long sweeper. I mow the lawn for a few hundred feet before easing it back onto the track surface. Mentally kicking myself, I watch the water temp skyrocket, no doubt due to the grass now blocking the radiator.

I hit the pits to a gaggle of unhappy looking teammates. They clear the grass, and bend the splitter sort of back into shape and send me back out. I am starting to get very tired though, the couple minutes in the pits with no airflow really overheated my body, and the 2 liter water pouch was nearly empty. After a couple more laps, the car hiccuped as I was braking into the last turn. I ignored it, sometimes hot cars are weird. Then braking into turn 1 it does it again, only worse. It feels like the car is out of fuel. I nurse it around, and start yelling over the radio that I need gas. Mike had made it a full 2 hours on fuel, but I was going at a much higher pace, in hotter ambient temps. Its now well over 100 degrees.

I hit the pits, again to dirty looks. They agree to fuel the car, and I go back out. Everything is fine again except the nut behind the wheel. With 15 minutes left, I switch to conservation mode, I am on the brink of heat exhaustion. As I bring the car in when called, I can barely get out of the car. I stumble out and fall over the wall, someone else helps strap Mark into the car.

I don't remember Mark's stint. I collapsed into a camp chair and drank an unknown number of gatorades and water bottles. Mark makes it about the same amount of laps as me before having a similar lapse of concentration, sending the car offroading in a different spot. He comes in for a grill cleaning, and we send him back out, but he returns in short order with the same stumble I experienced. We fuel the car and he goes back out. Im nearly out of my stupor when his stint is up. He needs to be helped from the car, and also stumbles over the wall, into someone else's pit stall where he collapses into a competitors camp chair. He looks ill. Evan gets in the car, and I make the decision to switch to 1 hour stints. Its not safe or fun to be in the car that long in these temps. This will help the fuel related stumble as well. We need to finish to win.

Evans 1 hour stint goes without incident. We all discuss the need for a coolshirt system in the car. Mark goes to the tech shed to use the community cooler.

We strap Eric in the car and he heads out for his stint. His stint is also nearly uneventful. Just as we're about to call him in, he radios that he is coming in after contact with another car. When it comes in, the only damage we can fine is a scuffed up RF wheel. We pull him out and get Jaret in the car.

Jarets stint goes without incident. After his hour, Mike gets ready for his second stint. We had planned to driver myself Jaret and Evan at night, but looks like everyone would get a night shift now. Its just starting to dim, but the heat is relentless.

Mike heads out for a while, but then radios back that the car shut off. We look at each other and all grab work gloves and wait for the tow truck. And the end to our story will have to wait until tomorow.

IanS

Just kidding about the tomorrow night thing. :chuckle:

Heart pounding, we wait impatiently for the car to be pulled back to the pits. It seems like an eternity. They dump the car at the pit stall and I jump the wall. I pop the hood and check the oil, its good, so I ask mike to try to restart it. It makes a horrible noise like the starter grinding, and I tell him to stop. I stare at it for a moment, then tell him to put it in gear, and I ask the rest of the team to push it a bit. I watch as the car rolls forward in gear. The crank pulley doesn't rotate....

I ask 2 crew memebers to get the jack and stands ready behind the truck while the rest of us start pushing.

We make it around to the paddock and I immediately set to to work, trying not to bark orders too aggressively. The car goes up on stands, and I roll underneath with most of the tools to remove the transmission. Even after sitting track side, and a flat tow, for what was nearly half an hour, everything is still hot enough to make my mechanics gloves melt a little. Less than 30 minutes later, I wrestle a blistering hot gearbox off the engine. The clutch comes with it....

Every flywheel bolt is broken, all still stuck in the flywheel.

I frantically start digging for spare flywheel bolts, but I cant find them in the box. I ask Shauni to start calling around for M12 x 1.25 ,25mm bolts, and I start weighing the options. Its after 8 PM, we are 10 hours into a 24 hour race.

I inspect the crankshaft and flywheel. The flange on the crank is damaged from the chromoly flywheel free spinning on it. We can't safely install the spare clutch and flywheel onto this engine, which means the spare engine needs to go in. Nearly every auto parts store rural Ohio is already closed, and the 2 that answer both have the same answer. Nothing in stock, we could order them for tomorrow afternoon. Its now after 9 PM. A quick google search of other models of cars at the track reveals no cars with same size flywheel bolts. I send a few team members to ask anyway. After more googling, and a bunch of no's and with 12 hours remaining in the race, Jaret and I decide to call it. We are done. With the race done at 10 AM, the chances we will find bolts in the morning and get the car back together in time is minimal.

Shauni starts calling around for hotel rooms while the rest of us begin to clean up. The clutch had been sitting on the tailgate of the truck for well over an hour, and it was still almost too hot to hold with bare hands. We collect all the bolts, and drop the car back down and flat tow it over to the trailer. We stack everything on the trailer, and head to the only hotel rooms Shauni could find, tails between our legs.

Now, the story of our trip home really will have to wait until tomorrow night.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

FlatBlackIan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:26 pm
Just kidding about the tomorrow night thing. :chuckle:

Ahhh you got me!

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Where's that nail biting emoji.....

And how the hell did you shear the flywheel bolts? Was the clutch slipping and overheated the flywheel? It's not like you were doing a bunch of drag launches. I'm amazed that happened!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

:ohno: :gotme :dance :banana: :boink:

IanS

float_6969 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:54 am
Where's that nail biting emoji.....

And how the hell did you shear the flywheel bolts? Was the clutch slipping and overheated the flywheel? It's not like you were doing a bunch of drag launches. I'm amazed that happened!
Well, you see, I'm not very good at listening.

In the service manual, it says to replace the flywheel bolts every time they're removed, but I've always thought of that as more of a guideline than a rule.

So when I changed the clutch, then changed the engine, then changed the clutch again, then changed the engine again, I sorted maybe skipped that little "replace" part of the torque instructions..... As it turns out there is a limit to how many times you should use those bolts, and I found it.....

So now every flywheel I install gets ARP hardware. Lesson learnd'ed.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I never knew that either. I should probably order some for my miata then...

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

After I saw the aftermath of a flywheel going through a bell-housing and partially through a transmission tunnel and coming dangerously close to cutting off a guy's leg, I don't mess around with bolt replacements anymore. That stuff is SCARY.

IanS

So, I know its been an eternity since I updated, but someone approached me with a job offer that I just couldn't pass up, even if it meant nearly doubling my hours. But, I finally got hit with a legit covid quarantine, so I've got a bit of time on my hands, so Ill try and sneak a few more updates in.

So when we left off, we collected our tools, and headed for the only hotel within 30 minutes. It was way fancier than we were used to, but the continental breakfast was second to none. The next morning we returned to the track early, with the race still under way. We packed up the rest of the gear, and pushed the car onto the trailer. We rolled out of the paddock just as the checkered flag flew.

The trip home was relatively uneventful. Being nearly a full day ahead of schedule, and much better rested than expected, we took it pretty easy. We made it to our mid trip stop in decent time, only to discover that our rooms weren't ready. So we decided to head to dinner, then with an entire evening to kill, we actually found a movie theater, and saw a movie (Deadpool 2). The hotel turned out to be disgusting. All the floors were sticky, and the breakfast was worse than bad.

This brings us to home. The car and spares came off the trailer, and went into time out to think about what they had done. I let them sit a few weeks before digging in.

First I removed the broken bolts from the crank. With the bolt chunks out of the crank, I confirmed that the crank flange was no longer flat. Time to take the engine out.

I started by draining the oil and pulling the sump so I could remove the timing cover and crankshaft. That didn't quite go as planned.

In the sump, I discovered a bunch of metal. It was not bearing material, almost seemed like timing chain bits.

I'm not exactly sure what caused it, but my guess is, the flywheel coming loose caused lots of vibration. The timing chain shed most of its center rollers into the oil pan. If it wasn't due to the flywheel, the engine was likely coming apart anyway.

As I continued disassembly, I discovered more bad news.

The rearmost main bearing was also failing. My guess again is the excess vibration from the flywheel. I also discovered that some of the crunched up bits of timing chain made it through the pickup and destroyed the oil pump. So I ended up pulling the engine all the way down. I had to send the crankshaft to a specialty machinist to have the rear flange faced.

The engine went back together with "new" crank, and new timing cover, timing chains, and bearings.

New flywheel installed with NEW ARP flywheel bolts. Then bolted the gearbox on.

IanS

Freshly re-assembled engine back in.

With the engine back together we moved on to some other projects. New sway bars front and rear.

A new windshield. Thanks DM Auto Glass

And another rear hatch? Wonder what that could be for.....

IanS

No time for messing around though. Time to load up for a WRL race at Brainerd International Raceway.

But first it needs an alignment. Everyone brings their own home made ramps to the alignment shop right?

Worlds fastest tool box.

Organization is key.

My kids are "helping".....

The struggle is real.

Next time. A roller coaster weekend at BIR.

IanS

Off to BIR to race with World Racing League.

Since the track is only 2 hours from my house, we got there early Friday so we could get setup and get tech'd early and hang out. Maybe we were too early hahahaha.

Setup went normal and we ended up gridded between 2 very well sorted Miatas, one of which was in our class.

Saturdays race went extremely well.

The very talented Jerry Winker was at the event and he captured some excellent action photos.

Our day ended with a 3rd in class after 8 hours of racing. Our rental driver posing with the trophy.

IanS

Here is the in car from Saturday.

Dan was completely new to the car, and relatively new to W2W racing. We put him in first so he'd get a chance to run a few parade laps and feel things out. I think he struggled with confidence. At this point in the cars evolution it possessed a massive amount of grip. It took a lot of commitment to just throw the car into turns knowing that it would stick. This lack of commitment was evident in the lap times.

As we watched Dans lap times from the pits, we considered the possibility that the car was broken because he was consistently off our projected times for the weekend. I feared for the worst as I prepared to get into the car. Luckily, the car wasn't broken, it just needed someone to really abuse it. I went full send and immediately lowered the best lap of the day by nearly 10 seconds. Game on.

Jaret got in the car next. I had moved us up the standings nicely.

Then it was Evan's turn in the car. Jaret had pushed even closer to the front, and we were already top 5 in class. Not only was finishing position on the line. We have a pretty healthy level of competition between team members to see who is fastest in the car. I was in the lead, but not for long.

Evan pushed the car so hard, that it actually ran out of fuel in the pits on the way to impound. He burned 16,5 gallons of fuel in 1 hour 55 minutes. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but I should have taken it as a sign.

IanS

I also tried something new with the videos from BIR. I took the fastest lap from each driver and made a split screen video against Evans fastest lap. Its an excellent way to see the differences between 2 drivers in the same car on the same day. The videos are sinc'd up with the Start/Finish line, but they start with a few seconds lead so they seem to start off sinc. This is Dan our rental driver vs Evan.

Here is my fast lap vs Evans. Our times were nearly identical (less than a second different, and I find it really fascinating to watch as our lines, brake points, shift points and turn ins are nearly identical. The big difference in my opinion is the fact that Evan was, at this point, about 60 lbs lighter than I was. Also of note, we both pass the same Ford Focus during our fast lap.

And finally the two brothers battle.

Just for fun, I linked all 4 videos together for a 4 way battle. Its hard to follow more than 1 or 2 at a time, but the effect is neat. Like watching a 4 player Gran Turismo battle hahaha.

IanS

Post race Saturday we pushed the car back to the paddock and put some gas in it. It fired up, so we re-filled it and went about re-prep. Rotate the tires, check the brakes, just little stuff.

Sunday morning, Jaret is in the car first. On the second parade lap, we can already tell something is wrong. Theres a heavy trail of smoke following the car so Jaret brings it in. For some reason the engine has blown one of the half moons out of the rear valve cover gasket. So I quickly yanked the cover, fixed the gasket, and dumped a quart of oil into it to replace what it puked. I also install a larger hose from the valve cover breather to a vented gatorade bottle to act as a catch can. I assume the engine had a stuck ring from sitting overnight. I was mistaken.

Jaret heads back out and makes a few clean laps, and the car was no longer smoking, but his times are down. Then there was a distinctive change in the sound of the car, and it lost significant power. Our morning went from bad to worse.

As you can see, we ended up changing the engine in the BIR school garage.

It took us approximately 2 hours to swap and get back on track, but our day was over. So we took advantage of the track time, and got everyone some laps. The car finished the day on the spare engine.

Our crew chief, and Evans wife Shauni had always wanted to try the car out, but not in a race setting. Luckily for us, there was actually a BIR driving school the day after the race. So post race, we cleaned up the paddock a bit, then left the truck and trailer there. I took Evan and Shauni's car home and left them with the tow rig. Shauni ran a full school day using the car, and besides struggling with the shifter, and the engine consuming oil, she was able to work down to a pretty respectable lap time considering the whole car was pretty worn post race and in need of a full re-prep.

They swapped the race car and trailer for their street car that evening.

IanS

Re-prep following our weekend at BIR was not something I was looking foreword to. With a worn out engine in the car that we nicknamed "The Stove" because it burned tons of oil, smoked, and wasn't fast, but was dead reliable, and a blown engine on the stand, I was in for another rebuild.

After much thought, I decided to tear down the blown engine. Since The Stove still ran, it was still a viable spare, even if it was one no one wanted to race with. Off comes the head.

Thats not gone well.

The cylinder head took quite the beating.

Even one of the adjoining cylinders ended up with some of cylinder No. 1's piston debris.

I surmised based on the melted piston, that the car running out of fuel on the final laps saturday likely caused a lean condition that caused the piston to fail. It was partly blown up saturday night, we just didn't know it then.

Now I was really at a crossroads. This block was already at max overbore, so any cylinder wall scoring would require a re-sleeve, and since they were all at max, it would be better to sleeve all and go back to stock bore. I decided to just shelve this block and rotating assemble. I was able to source another "running" KA from a bunch of vape smoking drifters about 2 hours away. After looking at the "new" engine for a bit on the stand, I made the decision to go on a fact finding mission. After pulling the sump off the allegedly fresh rebuild, I decided it needed a total overhaul. Too much silicone in the pan, missing gaskets here and there, and many other problems.

So I stripped it down all the way and sent in to the machine shop. When asked what color Id like the block painted, I laughed and said be creative, it'll just be blown up in 6 months anyway. I was getting a little tired of building engines.

I had the machinist order a set of weisco high compression forged pistons, and instructed them to bore the block . 020 over to match.

In a quest to maximize engine output, I decided to hand port the cylinder head.

I didnt go for a full polish, just a light pocket port and a gasket match.

Then the block came back. The machinist didn't disappoint. They used up a few different leftover paints they had laying around. World class artists they are not, but I appreciated the effort lol.

IanS

Porting went along nicely. I'm no pro, but it wasn't bad, If I do say so myself.

And just like that, thanks to the magic of the internet, what we dubbed "The America Block" was assembled and back in the car.

In the bottom right of that picture you'll notice a P/S reservoir. We had discovered at BIR, that the car now had so much grip, that it was increasingly tiring to drive at the limit. I had read about using Electric over Hydraulic P/S pumps out of a Volvo, so I ordered one from the local breakers yard for $35.

We swapped out the de-powered rack for a stock power unit with new tie rods, and made up some hoses. The pump was easy to wire, and blamo, we had power steering.

Then, we stripped the "new" hatch I had picked up before BIR. We gutted the whole inside support, and installed a new lexan rear window. Then we bolted on a large carbon wing.

Next up, due to rules changes, our fuel cell would need to be fully enclosed in a metal bulkhead. so I decided to build a silver safety box. You know, to protect our red safety box.

Then I moved on to the interior. The gauge cluster really only told the RPM at that point, so we decided to build a custom cluster, with aftermarket tach and GPS speedo.

"Kustom"

All the important info in one place. Switches where you can see them too.

Also built a new mini panel for the battery kill and fire pull.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Damn dude! That's quite the update. You looked quick as hell in the videos too. Shame you've had so many engine problems.

IanS

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:48 am
Damn dude! That's quite the update. You looked quick as hell in the videos too. Shame you've had so many engine problems.
Yah, I felt the car was pretty dialed at that point. It was an absolute blast to drive if you were brave enough to find the limit of adhesion. I had a blast being able to outrun cars with significantly more power.

And thanks for posting. We really need a new page. This one just bricked my computer. Another update is coming, hopefully today, hint, my computer isn't the only thing that crashed......

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Uh oh, again?
Or am I thinking of the same "event"?

IanS

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:08 pm
Uh oh, again?
Or am I thinking of the same "event"?
Same

We have reached the point in the story where things take a turn. Or should I say didn't take a turn......

But that will have to wait until we get a new page.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Well then... I'm going to keep commenting until we get a page. I think we're like 7 or 8 posts away.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

What are you doing for work now anyways?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

And how's that pandemic life treating you?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

And how many kids do you have now?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Are they all super blonde and Finnish?

IanS

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:17 pm
What are you doing for work now anyways?
PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:17 pm
And how's that pandemic life treating you?
PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:19 pm
And how many kids do you have now?
PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:19 pm
Are they all super blonde and Finnish?
Hahaha

Same job, different place. Hopefully soon transition into more service writing than wrenching.

Pandemic has been good in some ways, went on a diet, lost 30 lbs, got in shape, worked way too much.

Still 2 kids along with a shed load of pets, it's a bit of a funny farm here some days. And yes, blonde and very Finn looking. They take after me, which on the surface is neat, but my wife is better looking, smarter, more patient, and an all around better person, so it's a handicap for them really.

Where are you working these days? I hear Torry and I aren't the only ones on the weight loss train.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I'm back at BorgWarner... been here since 2014ish.
And yeah, I lost 40 lbs this pandemic. Turns out not eating out every day, and adding a bunch more exercise is a good way to lose weight.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Also you were supposed to reply to my questions individually so we get to a new page ;)

Return to “240sx General Discussion”