Revision for J30 Remote or FOB control programming procedure

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
TexRodeo
Car: 2018 Nissan Altima SR Special Edition Sedan
82k miles

I have run into some differences for the FOB or remote control programming procedure. I have had a very difficult time with my security system for just over a month now. I have a 1993 Infiniti J30 and have replaced my remote control box in the trunk 4 times and the Theft Control module very far under the dash once to address these issues. I had viewed a video clip on YouTube that showed programming procedures for an early to mid-90's Nissan Z-Car FOB, Since there were some similarities to the Z-Car and the J30, I figured that I would give it a try and it worked perfectly. There were a couple of distinct differences in the procedure from the J30 Service manual to the procedure that worked. Also, I was able to ascertain that there is NO BCM or Body Control module on my J30. I will list the original and revised procedures that happened to work on my J30.

Here is the original procedure as listed in the original service manual located in the trunk and what I had found in most places online:

SERVICE PROCEDURE
While sitting inside the vehicle:
(1) Open the trunk.
(2) Close and lock all doors.
(3) Insert and remove the key from the ignition six times within 10 seconds.
(4) Manually unlock and lock driver's door once to enable "Belting" mode.
(5) Push lock button on the new remote controller once, just long enough to hear within 5 seconds of completing step 4.
(6) If additional remotes are needed (up to 3), repeat steps 4 and 5 for each additional remote immediately after programming the first remote.
NOTE: a total of four (4) remotes can be programmed to function on the same vehicle.

Now here is the revised procedure that worked for me and this is what I had viewed on YouTube. The differences are located in steps 3, 5 and 6; The full revised procedure is as follows:

SERVICE PROCEDURE
While sitting inside the vehicle:
(1) Open the trunk.
(2) Close and lock all doors.
(3) Cycle the ignition switch from On to off positions and fully remove and insert the key from the ignition switch six times within 10 seconds.
(4) Manually unlock and lock driver's door once to enable "Belting" mode.
(5) Press and hold the lock button on the new remote controller or FOB, just long enough to hear the alarm sound within 5 seconds of completing step 4.
(6) If additional remotes are needed, repeat steps 4 and 5 for each additional remote immediately after programming the first remote.
NOTE: a total of four (4) remotes can be programmed to function on the same vehicle.

I am still not able to program the second FOB that I have utilizing the procedure. It seems as if it’s either one remote control/FOB or the other will work at a time. However, I am just tickled to have one remote working again. If I was able to program both of the FOB's, I would be ecstatic and ever so grateful.

Larry

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

TexRodeo,

Thank you for the write up.

I will stick this post where others can see it.

xxcrashxx
Car: 95 Infiniti J30

TexRodeo wrote: (3) Cycle the ignition switch from On to off positions and fully remove and insert the key from the ignition switch six times within 10 seconds.
so just to clear this up for myself. so is it (key on-->turn to off) then (remove-->insert)6x or do you have to have the (key go on-->off-->remove-->insert)6x. should key in ignition turned to on w/out engine running "technically" be the "1st" step. or step 0, if you will?

TexRodeo
82k miles

Crash,

That would be it. Cycle the switch to on and then off removing the key fully and inserting when cycled to off. Just the way I wrote this. It was an Interesting Experience with this J30 Security system. But So far it's all working correctly and the Dome Light is coming on and trurning off when it supposed to...LOL The procedure as I listed was to the letter was the only way that I was able to even reach the programming mode for the FOB to be programmed.

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

OOiy
Ive tried till I'm blue in the face and I cant get a aftermarket fob to work.
The OEM fob cracked all to heck.
The one I have is really nice and the Seller guaranteed it was compatible.
Glad it was pretty cheap. :gapteeth:

TexRodeo
82k miles

That is why I made sure that when I replaced my remote that I purchased an Infiniti remote compatibe with the J30. I bought a replacement from eBay that was identical to the original. See I have two remotes, The original one broke where the plastuc on the FOB curves around and holds the key ring. That was when I bought the other one from eBay. I still have the original FOB but I am unable to program both remotes. It seems that its either one or the other. Ohh Well as long as I have one that works, I am a Happy Camper.

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

I do recall the fob has to be compatible with the Frequency with the unit in the trunk but the fob I bought doesn't have the FCC label on it.
:gotme

TexRodeo
82k miles

Yeah Sounds like that is the Problem Yoda. And I hate to say it ya may have been taken on the aftermarket remote. Best Idea would be to find an original Infiniti remote for your J. That would be the best way to make sure that it works. One thing I have learned since purchasin' may J since late 2008 is that the J's as they get older are very picky creatures in their old age.

gomike
Car: 95 J30

Any way to clear all the remotes if maybe there were already 4 programmed?

TexRodeo
82k miles

Go Mike,
Just before one enters the "Belting Mode" Up to Step #3 (The Inserting and Removing the Key Bit), at that step subsequently ALL original or previous "ID code(s)" are erased or cleared from the Keyless Entry Box's Memory for the Remote or FOB "ID Code(s)". Then Proceeding Further into the programming sequence from step #4 onward will allow for the new "ID code(s)" to be entered and saved to memory, in order for your New Remote or Remotes (FOBs) to function properly. **REMEMBER: Up to four remotes can be programmed at a time, provided all four are the exact Same FCC ID Codes which they are posted on the back of each Remote or FOB. I Hope that Helps You.
Good Luck

nosaint
Car: 1992 Nissan Leopard

I've been without for over a year now after replacing battery...will give this a try.

TexRodeo
82k miles

Nosaint,

If that doesn't work You may want to look into Replacing the keyless Entry Box (This Box as two Plug Blocks with one Single Wire Plug. This box Is mounted in the left side Trunk Compartment Behind the carpeted Liner. Its located Just above and forward of the Power Antenna Unit). I have been there and done that routine on my J30.I also had to replace the Theft Warning Control Module at the same time because the programming sequence would not work after numerous tries. Now the Theft Warning Control Module can be a Little bit of bear to get to. (Theft Warning Control Module has a single Plug Block and is rather a small box located under the driver's side dash. Its way up in there along the Left side of the Steering Column). I Have an Exploded View of the Dash and Center Console showing the various Module Locations and a Picture of Both the Theft Warning Control Module and the Keyless Entry Module that I can email you if needed.

Larry

nosaint
Car: 1992 Nissan Leopard

I was getting crappy range with my remote so i went to the store to get a new batt....they tested the old and it was fine. Put it back in and it has never worked since...

Dont think that is my prob but i think i might of damaged the remote pissing around with it...never got around to getting a new one and there is no way im paying 30+ for a used one.

TexRodeo
82k miles

Perhaps so, But According to the Factory Infiniti J30 Shop Book Usually located in the trunk's side compartment there is also an Antenna Wire that runs from the keyless entry Box on the Left Side trunk compartment to somewhere around the right side of the rear Window. I Found this in the FSM (Factory Service Manual) for a 1994 J30 (Y32 Series) which is very similar. In this PDF under the subheading of "Electrical", scroll down to page 134 Which shows a wonderfully informative representation of the Entire Body Harness and Rear Tail Harness, Look for item B29 which seems to be an Antenna for the Keyless Entry System. I would trace that wire from the keyless entry box to the Antenna on the other side.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/J30/1994_J30/el.pdf

J30ZX
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30

^^ I have tried this several times and it just. Wont. Work. For. Me.

I wonder if I am doing something wrong..I have a used OE key fob, no idea if it is even getting power ??? The buttons dont light. But.. whereas I did successfully do this once on my Subaru as per its procedure, I just can't get this one.

I wonder what variables there are...

TexRodeo
82k miles

That is a weird thing. The only thing that may make sense is that either you have a bad fuse somewhere or the Silver rectangular, aluminum box in the trunk may have taken a crap. That box is basically the onboard Nissan security system. This box is located behind the trunk panel, on the left side just beyond the Jack location. If memory serves it has three connections going into it.

Good Luck Man.

macgiver

When you guys figure it out ,I love to hear it . I substituted a J-yard J30 'box' to no avail ,and a good friend Infiniti mechanic said it could be the "key sensor" at the core , in the column not registering(car starts though??) These cars do this SH!#!TT BAD , very early it seems in they're life/time of ownership !!

Put my original 'box' back ,even tried a newly found twist to THE PROCEDURE , still TSOL .

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”