Reupholstry questions

NICO's official source for Nissan upholstery, carpet, headliners, and trim information!
SketchyRollin564
Car: SR hatchback in the werks

just some ideas i have

how hard is it to wrap an OEM shift knob in black suede/alcantara? Will it wear away fast? Is it possible to keep the gear pattern on there?

and also, how hard is it/is it possible (without paying a professional) to re wrap the steering wheel (the part you grab) in suede, with red stitching? Also if i have to pay sombody to do it, how expensive is it?

i wanna replace my ripped USDM s14 ugly wheel with either a jdm S14 wheel, or an S15 wheel. I like the S15 one better because it has some color to it, but i like the shape of the JDM s14 one better, so if i can do the suede thing, and then have red stitching (my cars red), id rather do that.

just so you know which part im talking about...

also to make it easyer/less expensive on the shift knob part, does anyone know of any suede wrapped shift knobs anywhere?

SketchyRollin564

actually the shift knob part was fcking dumb, i guess i just got a little carried away, but if anyone knows who makes em itd still be cool to see

im just gonna do the steering wheel, shift boot, ebrake boot, and armrest (the last three i can get from redline, or make myself)

way the fck later down the road i might do other interior accents (like on the doors where the cloth is) but i think im just getting a little carried away right now

so basically, the main question, is it possible to re wrap the steering wheel yourself, if so how so? if not, where can i get it done and around how much?

brizanden
Car: thrased kouki ftw

dang idk but let me know wht people say tht m3 insides look good. m3s always have the sex

SketchyRollin564

yeah theres better pictures but im too lazy to get em

theres gotta be sombody in the interior technical forums that knows anything about this

onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

It's possible to do it yourself - go to a Barne's & Noble -> Automotive Section -> Car Upholstery Books. I found one last week & read quickly through it.

Basically, you need the material & a sewing machine & some patience. It's something I don't have the patience to learn, so I just end up buying aftermarket wheels .

Here is the book I'm talking about (first result on Amazon):

Car Upholstery

It goes into some detail over all sorts of things. This book seems to be ideal for someone who only needs a basic overview of techniques, etc. If you need a step by step exact for 240 guide... you are probably better off paying someone else to do it.

Seems like a good skill to learn, especially if you are interested in doing other parts of your interior.

As for cost... just ask around local shops. I'm guessing it would be something between $80-$150+ dollars.

SketchyRollin564

thanks man thats just what i needed

i guess ill save my money for other more important stuff for now, but this is definatley somthing i want to do eventually

emo_tactical9

I would recommend you not do suede in a car you drive without gloves.My car had a suede wheel in it when i bought it, lets just say, it wasn't actually suede anymore. It absorbs all the oils and dirt on your hands.

Return to “Interiors”