Return of the McRib!

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

The McRib is Back!

OAK BROOK, ILL. — McDonald’s has reintroduced the McRib sandwich for a limited time through Nov. 14.

“The McRib has an enthusiastic and dedicated fan base,” said Marta Fearon, McDonald’s U.S. marketing director. “And we thank those customers for contributing to our decision to bring back the McRib nationwide in 2011. At this time, we can’t speculate on its return in the future, but we hope McRib fans will enjoy it now while it lasts.”

The product is a boneless pork patty topped with onions, pickles and barbeque sauce on a bun. It returned to the menu nationally for the first time in 16 years last year, leading to a 5% increase in U.S. sales in November.

Go getchya some!

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

My local McDs has it back. Too bad they werent advertising it, so I didnt even know till I was walking out and I saw it on the menu. Next time.

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

I noticed it back on the menu this weekend. I'll probably pick one up soon, even though my stomach hates them, I have to eat at least one while they're back.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

And so the apocalypse commences.

And the angel broke the first seal and a foul faux meat sandwich was bestowed upon the people of Israel,,,Nebraska. :barf:

Jesda

THE BOYS FROM OAK BROOK ARE AT IT AGAIN

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

True or False: The reason that McDonald's cannot have the McRib on their regular menu is because it has an adverse effect on global pork futures.

frapjap
'07 Subaru Legacy

Encryptshun wrote:True or False: The reason that McDonald's cannot have the McRib on their regular menu is because it has an adverse effect on global pork futures.
False. Poor annual sales nix it off the menu. Theres a chart that I saw with % sales mix of McRib on an annual basis vs an LTO basis. Based on the last time the McRib was consistenly offered as part of the full menu, the mix was very low, somewhere around 3-6%. Micky D's doesn't want to hold any inventory that long for the occasional customer, so they went to the LTO to hype it up. Turns out they had historically high sales on LTO than when the product was always on the menu; thus, the return every year.

Make something in limited quantities and the people will demand it and snatch it up when they can. Also, a fun nugget- the McRib isn't about sales so much as it is attracting customers. The price is pretty low compared to other sandwiches, but the resturant makes their cash on the fries and drinks that the consumer orders with it

<---- went to Hamburger U a couple of years back.

sx moneypit
Car: 2010 370Z
1986 Toyota MR2

Are you sure that is pork in them thangs??? :ohno:

Encryptshun

Ray wins the cupie doll!

I used to hear that myth from my pork commodities buyer friends. It IS used by pork suppliers as a way to justify increasing prices for their other customers (it does create a short-term draw on supply), but ultimately it is for the exact reasons Ray states. It's a loss-leader item used to bring in customers so they'll buy other stuff.

frapjap
'07 Subaru Legacy

I teh winnar!

You should see the % profit on a typical restaurants soft serve beverage sales, let alone an international QSR like McDonald's. Coke has done well for themselves...

Something to think about in regards to supplying goods to such a large customer- when I was speaking with the McDonald's R&D team about their challenges, they said that the tallest hurdle they have to clear is answering the question, "is there physically and logistically enough of ingredient X for us to market it across the country?" Even more, what if the item is a runaway success? When McDonald's went nation wide with the Big Mac, ingredient usage immediately (loosely) doubled.

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

I heard this on the radio, but I sware I am still not ever going to eat one.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

I just had one last night. :)

I usually don't even visit McDonald's unless I am on a tight schedule and they're the only thing around, so it was fate that I found it, I guess.
All I can say is that it seemed somehow better than previous ones I have eaten before... Is it just me or did they actually change something?

skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

themadscientist wrote:And so the apocalypse commences.

And the angel broke the first seal and a foul faux meat sandwich was bestowed upon the people of Israel,,,Nebraska. :barf:
:werd:
That's not food, it's like processed pork slurry poured into a rib mold. Haha... :eek:

Jesda

skydragoness wrote: That's not food, it's like processed pork slurry poured into a rib mold. Haha... :eek:
f*** yeah!

Oh wait, you're explaining how it isn't appetizing.

skydragoness

Jesda wrote:
skydragoness wrote: That's not food, it's like processed pork slurry poured into a rib mold. Haha... :eek:
f*** yeah!

Oh wait, you're explaining how it isn't appetizing.
I expect better out of you!! :chuckle:

bundy26
Car: 2011 Buick Regal turbo

MC RIB MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

alms24sebring

its gives you cancer

SBC 240Z

what doesn't these days? whatever doesn't give you cancer is sure to give you diabetes

Oatmealman
Car: 2011 ford f150 fx4 5.0 master race

tried one for the first time tonight and it was horrendous,its the nastiest thing ive ever eaten and I would never pay $5 for that.

skydragoness

I'm convinced that nothing McDonald's serves actually contains meat, or it's more like a 90% soy protein 10% meat ratio (with the exception of the egg mcmuffins). I mean, how else do they manage to keep those prices? You're all dining on veggie burgers/nuggets and you don't even know it!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
:couch

Dattebayo

Oatmealman wrote:tried one for the first time tonight and it was horrendous,its the nastiest thing ive ever eaten and I would never pay $5 for that.
Lies.
skydragoness wrote:I'm convinced that nothing McDonald's serves actually contains meat, or it's more like a 90% soy protein 10% meat ratio (with the exception of the egg mcmuffins). I mean, how else do they manage to keep those prices? You're all dining on veggie burgers/nuggets and you don't even know it!

Extremely fat laden vegetables you mean. :poke:

alms24sebring

haha Id rather not take my chances. Once you taste its gross pig part biproduct fakeness, you can never untaste.

Solar_Runner

and just lastnight I sat on my butt and watched Super Size Me.... Lost any appeal toward fast food for a bit!

Jesda

Morgan Spurlock is a retard.

It's not healthy food, nor are you supposed to order 10,000 calories of it per day.
I could shop at Whole Foods, gorge on high-end ingredients, and still have a heart attack.

Of course, that wouldn't make for a very sensational documentary.
Last edited by Jesda on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 240SX, '05 350Z, '13 Juke

skydragoness wrote:I'm convinced that nothing McDonald's serves actually contains meat, or it's more like a 90% soy protein 10% meat ratio (with the exception of the egg mcmuffins).
Or something else...

It's called the McRib, because test marketing data showed some resistance to "McSoylent Green".

Jesda

Oatmealman wrote:tried one for the first time tonight and it was horrendous,its the nastiest thing ive ever eaten and I would never pay $5 for that.
Can you count to potato?

Dattebayo

Jesda wrote:Can you count to potato?
All the good little irish lads can.

Jesda

Encryptshun

^ Bwahahaha

I had a McRib last night. It's the Pennywise the Clown of sandwiches.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Its just emulsified pork... and yes all their meat IS real... its just been processed a lot.

...and it is delicious.

Return to “General Chat”