Retrofit lane-change blinker for cars that don't have it.

Audio, video, gauges, boost controllers, SAFC, engine management, climate control, monitors, navigation, interior lighting, etc.
VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

This isn't exactly a classified, so Rogue, AZ, if it's in the wrong place then relocate it as you see fit.

My hoopty Hyundai died awhile back, and I just bought a well-maintained '04 Altima for my new DD. However, the blinker is making me nuts. I'm used to the "3-blinks" lane change on our '13 Altima and the '04 lacks it. You have to hold the stalk or click it past the detente, and I keep giving people half-a-blink and then saying, "Oops."

I just finished a design for a simple device to fix it, it will patch into the matrix wires for the combination switch and maintain the blinker matrix to the BCM for 3-seconds before letting the line go. It should work on any vehicle having a matrix-driven combo switch, not just Nissans. If there's any interest in this, please post. I'll be ordering circuit boards and would like to know if I should panelize it and order more than a couple. They'll probably go for $30~35 if I build them for members.
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: CLOSED

EdBwoy

VStar, did you go through with this project?

I haven't been to the classifieds in a while, but coincidentally today I was thinking about this feature. Our 2018 Murano has it, but many other older Nissans/Infinitis lacked it. So while driving today, I made a deliberate attempt at counting how many times the turn signals of the "good drivers" would blink, and turns out 3 is a pretty accurate target.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

EdBwoy wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:45 am
VStar, did you go through with this project?
I got a couple of proto boards made and firmware written, but I never got around to fully debugging it. The protos had a problem that was keeping the RH blinker on all the time when installed in the car (something about the car because they work on the bench). Needs analysis with the BitScope, but I got buried with other stuff and never got back to it.

EdBwoy

Understandable. Life gets in the way of fun sometimes.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:poke: What's the status on this? Should the thread be closed? :gotme

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yeah, close it up. I'll get back to the project at some point but I doubt it will be soon.

Return to “Electronics (for sale)”