Restoration and other stories

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
IMH

One last one:

kenbagby

Wowzer's!!! IMH, you've got a beauty!:dude:

IMH

Thanks.  Here's a shot of the right side moldings.  It only took me seven years to find the missing piece and put them on the truck!

71-521

Looks great!!

One of these days I'm going to get a set to fit my 521..I've seen them on the overseas models...just not in the states...

But anyways, looking great! Post up more pics for us to see!:D

kenbagby

They haven't done a whole lot today but I guess that's what I get for picking a shop that makes it's bread and butter reparing vehicles for car dealers.

kenbagby

And picture two!

Pac. coast Datsun

[font="georgia"]Ken, its coming along nicely. Its good that theyre taking theyre time on your truck. Sorry if i misread or im not paying attention but have you pcked a color yet?
[/font]

PALISADESPARK

Well as some of you may have already seen here is my L320.

PALISADESPARK

Since I have gotten the truck i have pulled into the shop and needed to tackle the front brakes. As the previous owner had taken them all apart and left them that way.

But before I even got that far I noticed that the King pins had 1/4 play on the pass side and a little less than that on the drivers side.

PALISADESPARK

So I started on the king pin replacement task.
Below is the before and after on the passenger side.

PALISADESPARK

Did you happen to notice the nice new shock! Thanks to you guys I was able to get 520 front shock, but i was a little scared to grind the 1 1/4 width from the new shock all the way down to the original 3/4 of an inch.

So i just cut off the old mount and made a new one. Now isn't that a lot better. Nice and strong and better than the old one. Plus future replacements will be a snap.

A little heat, a litle bending, a few fuzzy picks from my 12 year son and presto there is a new bracket.

I will add some more later.

Jim

IMH

Nice work!  I'll be doing the same job on mine shortly.  I've had the shocks for a couple of years but, like you, I'm reluctant to grind them down.  The brackets I'll be using are actually from a dual shock kit that was made for some other vehicle but they will fit the shocks and the frame perfectly. 

71-521

nice trick and tip there guys!

PALISADESPARK

Well I said I would add some more later so here is some more.

Update on the drivers side. The new shock bracket is made and welded in.
the King pin is now installed. But I ran into a problem with the drivers side brake adjuster. It was broken and none to be had anywhere. None of the 520 or 521's were the same that i could find, so I decided to fabricate a new one.
Here is a photo of the old one what is left of it and the new one with the parts installed on it.

PALISADESPARK

And here is another picture with the nice new part installed on the backing plate. And if I do say so my self this works great.

PALISADESPARK

After the brake adjuster and things were done the next thing to takle was the clutch slave cylinder.

After looking hi and low i found out that nobody makes the 2 3/8 wide bolt pattern slave cylinder. I could however buy the 2 inch wide slave cylinder all day long.

So with some thinking I retro fit mine to accept the 2 inch modle slave cylinder with these two bolts I made.

PALISADESPARK

With these new bolts I could put the 2 inch slave cylinder in the exact same spot the 2 3/8 one went, with no modification to the linkage or hose.
The only thing i had to add was a 3/16 inch spacer to take up the difference in the welds on the offset bolts. And of course grind off the little cast arm that comes on the 69 slave cylinder. Other than that it works like a champ.

Thats all for now. I have to work on both the master cylinders.

James

Pac. coast Datsun

[font="georgia"]Your work is outstanding & i admire your creativity. I suppose thats what us Datsun owners have to do when the new parts arent available. Keep the pics coming.
[/font]

jetjocks2003

It looks grest, all of it
Matt

Pac. coast Datsun

James i have a friend with a 64 L 320 who needs to replace his clutch slave. I was wondering if the unit you bought is for a 521? If so then he can modify the bolts like you did & be back on the road. Thanks again for the pics.

mklotz70

While you're at it, I want to see the end that connects to the throwout arm :)

PALISADESPARK

Yes the cylinder is the same is the 521 and if you do as i explained above you will have the truck on the road in no time. Mine is still working with no problems.

Pac. coast Datsun

Thanks for the info.

PALISADESPARK

Here you go mike, and there is a couple of extra pics of some recent add ons. My own side emblem.
I will also have to post some pics of the new dash. All new gages are installed. It looks way COOL!!!!!

Jim

mklotz70

Love the Dat-O-Lantern badge!!!

Thanks for the pics.  I see that you welded a ring onto the end of the shaft.  I suppose I should see if I have pics of mine....for another option.  My mounting plate was easier, but the actuating rod was a lot more grief than yours.

[IMG]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k162/ ... P_6834.jpg[/IMG]

okay...that's the best pic I had of it.  I went around the outside of the yoke because I thought the rod was going to go through the middle.  But, the mounting plate moved it back far enough that it wasn't an issue.  So, I imagine that you could do the rod like James and the plate like mine.  I had to cut the return spring nub off too.

mklotz70

I just read it again....you have the gauges done???!!!!!   I can't wait to see them!!!!  I know what you told me you were going to do with them so they must look awesome!!!!!

Pac. coast Datsun

You guys are awesome. Yes the mounting plate is another option as well. Thanks for the pics guys..ive copied & emailed all of them to him.

71-521

I think we need to start a thread just for Jim's truck...
I have been following the build and have many pics!
Great Job!

kenbagby

I just went over to the body shop. 'Lil-Dat' looks like a shiney new penny. Cherry bomb red. Their paint rep from PPG came by just before they painted it and gave them a new paintable bedliner paint which they used. I didn't have my camera but will take it with me when I go over to pay. They're going to drop it off at the glass place to get the windshield and rear window put in. "I'm cited"!!!! :)

1963 NL 320
Car: 1963 Datsun NL320
1964 Datsun NL320

Ken-

Glad to hear you are making progress.  Cant wait to see the pics.  I seem to be stuck in reverse here.  Too bad about the site going down, that cant be good for keeping the members interest.

Post the pics as soon as you can.

Dave

Return to “Datsun 320”