Replacing battery in key fob

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
NoTalentLoser

One of my M37's key fobs has a completely dead battery, and I've been trying to figure out how to pry the key open so I can change the battery. I know that articles/YouTube videos suggest using something like a nail filer to pry apart the key fob after taking out the physical key, but I can NOT get mine apart for some reason. I'm starting at the top (near where the physical key inserts) and sliding the nail file down, but after about a few centimeters, it seems like I'm hitting something and I can't quite pry open the key. I don't want to force it apart and tear something up on the inside, but it seems like everyone else has a much easier time doing this than me. Am I doing something wrong here?

SwissCheeseHead
Car: 11 M37x, 94 BMW 530i

All you need to do is take out the physical key. You should see a small slot about 2mm wide. If you have a small flathead screwdriver (like one for electronics) that will work best but a nail file will work as well. It is just more thick than the screwdriver. Wedge the screwdriver into the slot and work it in. Once you get it work it, all you need to do is twist it and it should pop it open enough for you to get your nail or finger underneath to open it up. You don't need to go down the sides too much. Just keep everything on the top portion. I will sound like you are cracking something but you aren't. After the first time, it gets easier the second time around.

SmoovC
Car: '06 M45 Premium, Brakemotive, H-Techs, KYB's, USA-Spec PA15-INFI w/ BT streaming, Kuda cell mount, Magnaflow exhaust. (CAR SOLD)

Current: 2012 M56S, Harbour Blue, 4 pc Aero Kit

Simply insert a small blade flathead screwdriver in the slot shown:
Give a quarter turn to the right (or left), and the cover will pop apart.

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

This is the procedure quoted in the manual, but it never work for me. The thing never popped.
I was only successful with sticking something flat in the side seam and running it along the seam, it usually pops after 180 deg or so.
Try from different side, and point if you hit something on one side.

NoTalentLoser

Thanks for the help, guys! I managed to pop both keys open earlier today and replaced both batteries, and they're functioning like "new" again

SmoovC
Car: '06 M45 Premium, Brakemotive, H-Techs, KYB's, USA-Spec PA15-INFI w/ BT streaming, Kuda cell mount, Magnaflow exhaust. (CAR SOLD)

Current: 2012 M56S, Harbour Blue, 4 pc Aero Kit

Happy you got it figured out! Just an FYI: if ever needed, you can order replacement remote cases on eBay for under $10 bucks.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

The Battery is a CR2025 if anyone is looking to buy before opening up the fob (like I was).

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Is there a secret to this?

I bought new batteries for both my fobs and after removing the old batteries, the new fobs don't do ANYTHING...only way to start the car is to push the start button with the fob.

Is there some kind of sequence I need to do to get the fob recognized again? If I have to spend $50 at the dealer for a reprogram (or more) due to a dead battery, I'm going to be LIVID.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Ilya wrote:Is there a secret to this?

I bought new batteries for both my fobs and after removing the old batteries, the new fobs don't do ANYTHING...only way to start the car is to push the start button with the fob.

Is there some kind of sequence I need to do to get the fob recognized again? If I have to spend $50 at the dealer for a reprogram (or more) due to a dead battery, I'm going to be LIVID.
Update:

I've tried both my fobs with brand new batteries (4 of them!) as well as their old batteries and nothing. Only way I can start the car is if I touch my main fob to the start button, hear a beep, and then I can start it. The backup fob doesn't get detected by the car at all. It's like the car randomly lost all key programmings. Nothing else seems to be reset and my car battery did not die (it's like 3 months old and no lights were left on). What is going on?

Going to call the dealer on Monday.

ibc
Car: Infiniti M56x

Ilya, are your new batteries installed backwards?
Debonair wrote:The Battery is a CR2025 if anyone is looking to buy before opening up the fob (like I was).
I installed a CR2032 battery into both of mine. It fit perfectly.
It's exactly the same voltage and diameter, but 3.2 mm thick vs. 2.5 mm thick, so it has larger capacity.

Ilya

I ended up making an appointment to drop the car off on Thursday to have them look at my issue and also a few others (like my cooled/heated seats). My warranty expires in 3,000 miles so wanted them to do one last look at the car before that happens.

My advisor seems to think my fob issue might be the BCM or antenna...and as I recall my BCM was replaced during my wiring/dash issues with the LED bulbs. Maybe I got a bad one?

SwissCheeseHead
Car: 11 M37x, 94 BMW 530i

Ilya wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:50 pm
Ilya wrote:Is there a secret to this?

Update:

I've tried both my fobs with brand new batteries (4 of them!) as well as their old batteries and nothing. Only way I can start the car is if I touch my main fob to the start button, hear a beep, and then I can start it. The backup fob doesn't get detected by the car at all. It's like the car randomly lost all key programmings. Nothing else seems to be reset and my car battery did not die (it's like 3 months old and no lights were left on). What is going on?

Going to call the dealer on Monday.
Bumping this up. I just changed out the battery on my fob and I'm getting this same issue. What did you have to do to get it back to normal again? So frustrating!!!!

Ilya

As stated in the other thread, the dealer replaced both my fobs under warranty as I was still under the extended Elite protection.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Our second key fob had not been used in almost a year. It did not work so I replaced the battery. It still did not work but the wife had it in her pocketbook while on a road trip. I was going to place a call to the dealer about nine hours later. I tried it one more time and now it worked. I wonder if over a period of hours the fob had to communicate with the vehicle?

Telcoman

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”