Replaced my alternator today

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Gort400

VStar650CL,

I will update as soon as I get the second alternator installed. May be a few days. Thanks

Gort400

UPDATE: My buddy with small hands, (that got bolt #4 of the A/C compressor loose) was busy for a week. I did not want to interrupt the Karma and try to install the replacement alternator myself, so I waited for him to be available. During the week I went to pick up the replacement alternator that they ordered for me due to the stripped out ground strap threads in the case. When I got there they told me they sent it back because the OReillys policy is to not keep parts over six days with a non pick up. I said that is a stupid policy....because you ordered it for me to replace a defective one. He apologized and said he should have done a warranty replacement. He did that and I got it the next day. I was not pleased with the conditions of the threads for the ground strap bolt in this one either, but could not wait anymore. It also was missing a ground strap bolt too. Me and my buddy agreed to put the screw in once and tighten down. He was able to get his hand up and hold the clip while I tightened the through alternator bolt. He moved the A/C compressor down a little and rested on a wooden block. Once we got the alternator in he was able to tighten A/C bolt #4 with a 3/8" drive ratchet and a small socket. I told him I got it from here. He had a family vehicle to repair and I did not want to keep him. I then slowly reversed my work back to install everything just like I uninstalled it. On the uninstall I placed every screw, bolt, etc. in a small sandwich bag and put a label in the bag. This really helped on the install. The last bolt was the torsion bar bolt. The screw hole would not line up. I hammered a little, put some grease on the bolt....nothing. I then loosened the two screws on the torsion bar that went into frame and was able to get the big bolt installed. Only now the two bolts on the torsion bar would not drop in the frame. I don't know why, (Thanks to the Big Man upstairs!), but I then jacked up that side of the car a little and heard the torsion bar bolts fall into the screw holes of the bracket. I tightened and torqued them all to 87 ft lbs. I started her up and looked at the voltage which was a steady 14+ volts. I was monitoring at the cigarette lighter with a modified cigarette lighter adapter connected to my meter.
This was one heck of a job. I vowed not to curse doing it. I think I did good. Just took a break when I felt the NY in me boiling up to an eruption! ha-ha. I also want to thank everyone for their input, suggestions, and experiences in doing this job. I could not have done it without you all! Thanks for your HELP! I hope the Alternator lasts. I will keep you updated. Thanks Again! JG

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

Thanks for the update, and congrats on accomplishing the goal!

Gort400

3Q Jay,

Thanks. I feel like I am in an elite alternator club now. LOL !!

sandydennis11
Car: 1996 Infiniti Q45 176k miles
purchased new in 1995

So does this mean there are no OEM Alternators available in this country???

Gort400

sandydennis11,

I don't know the answer to that question. I did see one parts place that had one for over $300. That may have been an original. I will go back and see if I can find it and report back. Mine at OReilly was $159.99. Tks

JG

sandydennis11
Car: 1996 Infiniti Q45 176k miles
purchased new in 1995

That would be great if you can remember that place that might have it.
I've replaced quite a bit on my '96 Q with OEM but the alternator is probably the next to get booted.
The transmission, when it fails, will of course get a 'make-over'.
27 years and it still is my main car.

Gort400

sandydennis11,

This is not the one that I was mentioning but it says its 100% NEW parts. Hmmm
https://www.autozone.com/batteries-star ... 767204_0_0

PS. I also have some other things I'm wanting to correct on my 95 Q45. My transmission is not leaking but have to start in 1-2 to get her going until something warms up. Then I feel a little bump and shift into D and it works. Cold weather takes longer to work in D. I know I should really start another thread under transmissions, will do later, but just wanted to jot this down to you. I will keep looking for that other alternator I saw.. JG

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”