Replace Valve Cover Gasket

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
FiShEyEz
Car: 2008 Infiniti M35 S

I should add that I’ll be putting black RTV inside the O-rings under the cover. Some have claimed to have stopped leaks on the irreplaceable plastic covers by doing this.

Also should mention that using a torque wrench is important when torquing the VC and Intake plenum back down. Don’t want any cracks or warpage going on. The VQ runs hot as it is. Don’t mess around in this area. Do it right. Do it once.

vabrova
Car: 2008 Infiniti M35x
2001 Infiniti I30t

After receiving mine I now understand that the plastic cover is meant to only allow vapors through to the PCV and keep liquid oil from easily getting through so it does serve an important role.

Are there cases of the screws holding the plastic cover backing out?! I did find one person who brought up that there was no thread locker applied so I'm trying to find out if is a reoccurring issue or an observational concern.

FiShEyEz

We’ll, now that’s interesting.

It was my understanding that Nissan switched to plastic VCs in an effort to reduce operational costs across the board but I can see how they would also absorb oil. My passenger side VC is saturated all over.

The baffle under the cover helps to secure the seals as well as provide some type of air flow regulation for the varying pressure when in operation. It’s my understanding that if the seals were to fail, the baffle would also ensure that they don’t fall somewhere they shouldn’t be.

If oil vapor absorption into the plastic VCs is an essential part of the operation, this implies the need to install the oil catch can.

FiShEyEz

OKAY SO

Walmart canceled my order. They said the item never shipped or it was lost.

Because of time constraints, I’m just going to find some aftermarket plastic/fiber valve covers.

Sacto Infiniti
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35x

I have an appointment with a local shop(not dealer) that I trust to install my parts...the parts were around $2-300 with gaskets (new covers and plenum gaskets) They quoted me $400 labor to install, 30-day warranty because of my parts.

vabrova
Car: 2008 Infiniti M35x
2001 Infiniti I30t

Slow progress since I got my valve covers but I finally have time to complete some long awaited projects.

Stripped of thin paint

Sanded

Painted

Install coming soon

willko1
Car: 2000 q45 y33

Looks nice, clear coat would work too, how did the install go??

AG-M35
Car: 2006 M35

I know this thread is a last year, but how did this effort turn out? Any recommendations regarding the covers or from your experience?
thx

AG-M35
Car: 2006 M35

see above!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”