Trunk struts on 2003 M45 ... done! Detailed procedure.

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Hi, all.

I finally got tired of having my trunk lid not opening without help (thus could not use the arm-rest button!), and then not staying up. The lid would occasionally come down on my head or shoulders when I was reaching inside for items - due to failing trunk struts (the second set ... first was replaced under warranty).

Some time back, I had ordered and received my replacements from here: http://www.spdhardware.com/catalog/GSNI ... s%20Spring. I got the GSNI-5150-80 ... price is $15.84 each, but this is way less than even the OEM ones, with discounted prices, of over $100 each from http://www.everythinginfiniti.com. And the dealer wanted $243 labor to replace the ones I brought in!

This above strut was the right dimension (15" extended, 9" compressed, 6" stroke, 80 lbs) for the trunk struts for a Y34 chassis (i.e., 2003 and 2004 M45).

So, for $45.73 (including tax and shipping) and 30 minutes of work, my son and I replaced the struts yesterday - and avoided spending the $450 or so that the dealer wanted for parts and labor!

It was a pretty straightforward job, and I will step-by-step my method here - in overkill detail perhaps! :chuckle:

Tools needed:
  • A narrow flat-blade screwdriver.
  • A small 10mm wrench or socket/driver.
Procedure:

1. Prop up the trunk lid safely - you do not want it coming down on your head or hands when reaching inside. :ohno: I used a "ceiling light fixture replacement rod", but a broom would have worked equally well. Also, whenever I reached into the trunk, I asked my son to hold on to the lid and be ready to prevent it from coming down onto me or my hands.

2. Move both front seats forward as far as possible, and tilt the front seat backs forward too, to give additional room to work.

3. Below the center of each rear seating position (i.e., two locations), there is a small black plastic ring below the seat edge. While pulling on this ring (mind your fingers!) towards the front of the car, gently pull up on the seat at that location. This free's up a small U-shaped metal bracket on the rear seat, from the latch on the car.

4. Remove the rear seat - pull forward a bit and then it should slide out sideways. For all further work, be careful of all the sharp metal edges that are now exposed!

5. If your car is like mine was, you will now want to vacuum up all the old debris that made its way down there. :chuckle: My son (when infant) dropped everything from coins to french-fries :eek:, pencils, etc.

6. Unscrew two black bolts and washers that hold the seat back to the car - these are located in the lower left corner and lower right corner of the seat back. These are 10mm hex head bolts - they may not be too tight in the first place, by the way. Set bolts and washers aside - don't lose them! Power tools would have been faster than the small 10mm closed-end wrench I used - since I could not find my metric socket set.

7. Pull down the center arm-rest.

8. Reach into the upper side of the panel board behind the arm-rest, insert your fingers into the top of the board and pull it forward - this is held in place with velcro, by the way.

9. Unscrew the two nuts behind the board - these attach a metal plate/bar on the seat back to the rear of the car. Set these nuts aside - don't lose them!

10. Behind the panel board, you will also notice a round metal rod attached to the seat back that fits into a U-channel on the rear of the car.

11. Two people: Slide each side of the seat back upwards till the round rod clears the U-channel - this is not a weight issue, but without pulling up on both sides of the seat back at the same time, it flexes too much and it is not easy to lift the seat up cleanly. Two people make it easy. :yesnod Then pull the seat back a bit forward to release it from the car.

12. Slide the seat back out of the car - being careful with the seat belts, of course. This is not a tough process at all, by the way - the belts will move enough to allow this to be done with relative ease.

13. In the upper corner behind the seat back (near the window), there is a small opening (under a flap of insulation perhaps). Look inside and you will see the strut end.

14. Using a flat-bladed screwdriver: insert the blade into the indentation on the strut, into the metal clip that engages the strut mount, twist a bit, and pull the clip outwards (do not remove entirely). This should cause the strut to easily become free of the round strut mount, so pull the strut off the mount. (You can practice this process of sliding the blade of the screwdriver into the clip on the new struts before you start, by the way, to see how it works!) Repeat for the other strut.

15. Check to make sure that the trunk lid is still braced and ask your helper to get ready to catch it if it falls on you when you reach inside the trunk!

16. Look inside the trunk on the side of the trunk lid hinge ... you should see the other end of the strut. Using the flat-bladed screwdriver, disengage the metal clip on this end of the strut (same procedure as from the other end). This releases the strut entirely ... remove the old strut. Repeat for the other strut.

17. Using the flat-bladed screwdriver, lift the metal clip on a new strut to get it ready for installation. Get back inside the car, slide the new strut into the opening (keep the rod end inside the car - the gas-filled piston end towards the rear of the car), place the connector onto the strut mount, and press the clip in. This will now swivel relatively freely, so don't worry about that, but do be sure that the strut is secure on the mount. Repeat for the other strut.

18. Look inside the trunk and attach the new strut connector to the strut mount on the hinge. Exactly the same process of lifting the clip, putting the strut on the mount, and then pressing the clip in. Repeat for the other strut.

19. Remove the lid brace and check for proper operation of the trunk lid opening, etc. This will be the moment when you grin in satisfaction. :)

22. Two people: replace the seat back inside the car. Remember to start a bit high to make sure to engage the round metal rod inside the U channel. Also remember to keep the seat belts in the correct position in front of the seat back (slide the back in behind the belts).

23. Install the two 10mm nuts in the center behind the arm-rest board on the metal plate, and the two bolts and washers in the lower corners of the seat back. Tighten, but be careful not to shear the bolts on the corners - they seem to be a bit more fragile than I would like (particularly the washers - I bent mine).

24. Replace the rear seat bottom. Start by setting the seat a bit forward and then sliding it backwards while lifting the front edge at the center of the seating positions. The U-shaped metal brackets should be lowered into the latches (while pulling out on the black plastic rings a bit to avoid breaking the plastic of the latches). Remember to make sure that the seat belt connectors are above the rear seat, of course - position them in the slotted channels of the seat bottom if you want!

You are now done!! :cool:

Some other observations: :chuckle:

1. If I had had a very long narrow flat-bladed screwdriver or similar tool, and a bright light (perhaps on a goose-neck?) I might not have had to remove the back-seat. Because I might have been able to reach the connector on the front end of the strut. Look inside your car with a bright light to see what I am talking about.

2. Do not follow the instructions that tell you to remove the trunk liners, or the rear deck, etc., by removing various clips. This is not necessary at all - you can generally reach both ends of the strut pretty easily ... particularly if the rear seat is removed.

3. If you do get the Nissan Infiniti struts (more expensive!) made by Stabilus, they come in Left and Right versions (marked on the struts), because their mount connectors do not rotate! So make sure to order left and right versions and use them as necessary to keep the rod end of the strut inside the car and the piston/chamber end near the trunk. This is not an issue for the replacement struts I bought because the strut connectors will rotate easily enough (not the piston rod, of course!)

4. I forgot to clean and re-grease the moving parts and hinges on the lid - will do this at some point later to make sure that the hinges operate smoothly.

Final comments:

In cold weather (was about 42 F yesterday), the two new 80-lb struts will lift the lid all the way up when the trunk is released. :yesnod In time, this may change, but this is way more than the OEM originals did when new - which was just to pop the lid open and up about 6 to 12 inches.

And pushing the lid down to close it takes more downward force too.

So, I would definitely NOT use 90-lb struts as was mentioned in another post - the 80-lb is plenty good enough and even when it degrades over time (like all struts do), this will not be bad at all! The extra pressure of a 90-lb (or more) strut may make it difficult for some people to push the trunk lid closed, and may put more of a stress on the lid locking mechanism than is really necessary.

On the old struts that I removed, I noted that only one was pretty bad. When pushed in manually (still quite a bit of pressure), it released very slowly with some raspiness and roughness, but the other was still smooth, although I did not test to see what forces they still had left. Clearly, one old strut is not enough to hold the lid up, let alone raise it.

Z

Double E
Car: '04 M45 Dark Blue., NAV

Just ordered a set.... THANK YOU!!!!

szh

Double E wrote:Just ordered a set.... THANK YOU!!!!
Cool! :bigthumb:

Z

szh

A couple more comments on the old OEM ones I removed (although these were also ones that the dealer had put in some years back when the factory originals failed):

1. The OEM struts are from Stabilus - this company makes them for many car companies, afaik. They are also labeled with a Nissan logo too.

2. The Stabilus part number appears to be 5408QR for the Right strut and 5409QM for the Left. No source for these that I could find other than the dealer or EverythingInfiniti.com (sponsor at NICO).

3. The OEM Left strut chamber appears to be bigger than the right one. I am not sure why ... the lid is symmetrical. :confused: They are priced differently on the EverythingInfiniti.com web site too ... the Right (thinner one) is $114.62 and the Left (thicker one) is $104.20. Again, not sure why!

4. There appears to be a number 0290N on them. This could be 290 Newtons, and if this is so, the strut pressure is 65 lbs ... so my new replacements at 80 lbs each should be just fine!

Regardless of all that, the new SPD struts work beautifully! So, even if I have to replace them sooner than the OEM ones, the fact that I had a fifth (or tenth, if you include labor) of the cost compared the dealer, i can do this five to ten more times before I would lose! :)

Z

wallyworld
Car: 2004 Infiniti M45

Hello and thank you for the excellent post!

I took your advice and they just arrived.

Will try to install them this weekend with a very long, narrow flat-bladed screwdriver and a bright light without rear seat removal.

Stand by...

szh

wallyworld wrote:Hello and thank you for the excellent post!

Will try to install them this weekend with a very long, narrow flat-bladed screwdriver and a bright light without rear seat removal.

Stand by...
Thanks! I'd love to know if you are successful with doing this without removing the rear seat - that would make life a lot easier for others.

Z

szh

Stand by...
So, how did it go?

Z

Ruleman
Car: 2003 Imfiniti M45
2010 ML 63 AMG

Just ordered my set. Will see how I get this worked out next weekend.

Thanks for posting the instructions.

szh

Ruleman wrote:Just ordered my set. Will see how I get this worked out next weekend.

Thanks for posting the instructions.
Cool! :bigthumb: Please let us know how it goes.

If you have a very long narrow-flat-blade screwdriver, please do see if you can reach the front end of the strut from the trunk. That would save you a lot of time! :yesnod

Z

Ruleman
2010 ML 63 AMG

Will do... Just gotta find time to do it.

I will do my best to get pictures so that I can help with this writeup.

Thanks again for taking the time to post it.

Ruleman
2010 ML 63 AMG

Struts arrived today. I will try to do this tomorrow, and post pictures while I am at it.

Stay tuned.

Ruleman
2010 ML 63 AMG

Hello All,

I wanted to post this since I am very thankful for the instructions on how to get the struts changed as well as where to get them for a fraction of what they cost from the dealer.

What I did was follow the instructions by SZH, and since I took pictures of the procedure, I will post tehm inserted into his instructions. See below.
szh wrote:Tools needed:
  • A narrow flat-blade screwdriver.
  • A small 10mm wrench or socket/driver.
Procedure:

1. Prop up the trunk lid safely - you do not want it coming down on your head or hands when reaching inside. :ohno: I used a "ceiling light fixture replacement rod", but a broom would have worked equally well. Also, whenever I reached into the trunk, I asked my son to hold on to the lid and be ready to prevent it from coming down onto me or my hands.

2. Move both front seats forward as far as possible, and tilt the front seat backs forward too, to give additional room to work.

3. Below the center of each rear seating position (i.e., two locations), there is a small black plastic ring below the seat edge. While pulling on this ring (mind your fingers!) towards the front of the car, gently pull up on the seat at that location. This free's up a small U-shaped metal bracket on the rear seat, from the latch on the car.

4. Remove the rear seat - pull forward a bit and then it should slide out sideways. For all further work, be careful of all the sharp metal edges that are now exposed!

5. If your car is like mine was, you will now want to vacuum up all the old debris that made its way down there. :chuckle: My son (when infant) dropped everything from coins to french-fries :eek:, pencils, etc.

Ruleman comment: My car was ridiculously clean... props to the prior owner for keeping it so clean. There was just one dime and absolutely NOTHING else down there.

6. Unscrew two black bolts and washers that hold the seat back to the car - these are located in the lower left corner and lower right corner of the seat back. These are 10mm hex head bolts - they may not be too tight in the first place, by the way. Set bolts and washers aside - don't lose them! Power tools would have been faster than the small 10mm closed-end wrench I used - since I could not find my metric socket set.

7. Pull down the center arm-rest.

8. Reach into the upper side of the panel board behind the arm-rest, insert your fingers into the top of the board and pull it forward - this is held in place with velcro, by the way.

9. Unscrew the two nuts behind the board - these attach a metal plate/bar on the seat back to the rear of the car. Set these nuts aside - don't lose them!

10. Behind the panel board, you will also notice a round metal rod attached to the seat back that fits into a U-channel on the rear of the car.

11. Two people: Slide each side of the seat back upwards till the round rod clears the U-channel - this is not a weight issue, but without pulling up on both sides of the seat back at the same time, it flexes too much and it is not easy to lift the seat up cleanly. Two people make it easy. :yesnod Then pull the seat back a bit forward to release it from the car.

Ruleman Comment: These are the "hooks" where the seat back catches to stay in place. There are three in total. Keep this in mind for when you put the seat back in place.

12. Slide the seat back out of the car - being careful with the seat belts, of course. This is not a tough process at all, by the way - the belts will move enough to allow this to be done with relative ease.

13. In the upper corner behind the seat back (near the window), there is a small opening (under a flap of insulation perhaps). Look inside and you will see the strut end.

14. Using a flat-bladed screwdriver: insert the blade into the indentation on the strut, into the metal clip that engages the strut mount, twist a bit, and pull the clip outwards (do not remove entirely). This should cause the strut to easily become free of the round strut mount, so pull the strut off the mount. (You can practice this process of sliding the blade of the screwdriver into the clip on the new struts before you start, by the way, to see how it works!) Repeat for the other strut.

15. Check to make sure that the trunk lid is still braced and ask your helper to get ready to catch it if it falls on you when you reach inside the trunk!

16. Look inside the trunk on the side of the trunk lid hinge ... you should see the other end of the strut. Using the flat-bladed screwdriver, disengage the metal clip on this end of the strut (same procedure as from the other end). This releases the strut entirely ... remove the old strut. Repeat for the other strut.

17. Using the flat-bladed screwdriver, lift the metal clip on a new strut to get it ready for installation. Get back inside the car, slide the new strut into the opening (keep the rod end inside the car - the gas-filled piston end towards the rear of the car), place the connector onto the strut mount, and press the clip in. This will now swivel relatively freely, so don't worry about that, but do be sure that the strut is secure on the mount. Repeat for the other strut.

18. Look inside the trunk and attach the new strut connector to the strut mount on the hinge. Exactly the same process of lifting the clip, putting the strut on the mount, and then pressing the clip in. Repeat for the other strut.

19. Remove the lid brace and check for proper operation of the trunk lid opening, etc. This will be the moment when you grin in satisfaction. :)

22. Two people: replace the seat back inside the car. Remember to start a bit high to make sure to engage the round metal rod inside the U channel. Also remember to keep the seat belts in the correct position in front of the seat back (slide the back in behind the belts).

23. Install the two 10mm nuts in the center behind the arm-rest board on the metal plate, and the two bolts and washers in the lower corners of the seat back. Tighten, but be careful not to shear the bolts on the corners - they seem to be a bit more fragile than I would like (particularly the washers - I bent mine).

24. Replace the rear seat bottom. Start by setting the seat a bit forward and then sliding it backwards while lifting the front edge at the center of the seating positions. The U-shaped metal brackets should be lowered into the latches (while pulling out on the black plastic rings a bit to avoid breaking the plastic of the latches). Remember to make sure that the seat belt connectors are above the rear seat, of course - position them in the slotted channels of the seat bottom if you want!

You are now done!! :cool:
Thanks once again for allowing me to get this fixed. This one is among those "instant satisfaction" DIY's since you see the results immediately once you are done. Also, time alloted is exactly 30 minutes. I added 5 more to do a nice overall cleaning/hydrating of the rear seat leather...

Cheers!

szh

Most excellent! Thanks much for the pictures - they make the instructions so much more clear!
Ruleman wrote:Image

Ruleman comment: My car was ridiculously clean... props to the prior owner for keeping it so clean. There was just one dime and absolutely NOTHING else down there.

That is indeed amazingly clean. Mine needed vacuuming for sure ... infant son used to drop food on the seat that occasionally worked its way back there.
Ruleman wrote:This one is among those "instant satisfaction" DIY's since you see the results immediately once you are done.
Definitely! My then 14 year old teen wanted me to open the trunk multiple times after we were done, just to see it rising so effortlessly compared to what it did (or didn't do actually!) before. The sense of satisfaction on his face was awesome too. :chuckle:

Z

wallyworld

szh wrote:

Stand by...
So, how did it go?

Z
Hello once again.

Believe it or not, I just managed to attempt this feat!

I decided to rule out the long screwdriver method in favor of going through the back seat as you have described.

Wow was that easy!

The back seat was out in 30 seconds. I was able to leave the seat back assembly in the car but folded towards the front seats. I stood outside the car on either side as the insulation pocket/strut head is right there. Total time was under 20 minutes including re-assembly with no helper. Seat belts are the big one to always watch the routing, but not difficult. One of the OEM struts was fine/stiff but the other was loose and leaking to once again prove you need both struts.

The GSNI-5150-80 struts are quality looking and easy to install. The over pressure is not an issue as my trunk does not fly open to max and bounce. They are perfect now and will be perfectly acceptable when they relax a tad.

Once again hats off to this forum for the wealth of information and community spirit!
:dblthumb:

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Brilliant work - both of you !

Can I just say: Who the bloody hell would take a simple thing like a strut and then design the application so that one has to dismantle so much just to replace it?? Infiniti, of course ! Thank baby jesus that I have an 07 an the struts on my boot lid and bonnet are right out front and simple to replace. I hope Infiniti sacked the person who designed your strut application.

szh

wallyworld wrote:Hello once again.

I decided to rule out the long screwdriver method in favor of going through the back seat as you have described.

Wow was that easy!

The back seat was out in 30 seconds. I was able to leave the seat back assembly in the car but folded towards the front seats. I stood outside the car on either side as the insulation pocket/strut head is right there. Total time was under 20 minutes including re-assembly with no helper. Seat belts are the big one to always watch the routing, but not difficult. One of the OEM struts was fine/stiff but the other was loose and leaking to once again prove you need both struts.

The GSNI-5150-80 struts are quality looking and easy to install. The over pressure is not an issue as my trunk does not fly open to max and bounce. They are perfect now and will be perfectly acceptable when they relax a tad.

Once again hats off to this forum for the wealth of information and community spirit!
Most excellent! :dblthumb: I also waited a while after receiving the new struts till I installed them. :biggrin: My final straw was when I reached inside the trunk (when I had the old struts) and the lid came down on my head ... quite painful!

Yup, based on what you noted, it seems pretty clear that a single working strut is not sufficient - I had the same experience. One of the struts was raspy and scratchy and it was probably the one that caused the overall problem.

Z

szh

Larz wrote:Brilliant work - both of you !
Thanks!
Larz wrote:Can I just say: Who the bloody hell would take a simple thing like a strut and then design the application so that one has to dismantle so much just to replace it?? Infiniti, of course ! Thank baby jesus that I have an 07 an the struts on my boot lid and bonnet are right out front and simple to replace. I hope Infiniti sacked the person who designed your strut application.
:lolling:

Yeah! Every time I get a G35 loaner when having work done on my car, that is one of the first things I note about the trunk if I put anything inside ... the easy access to both ends of the struts! :)

Z

wallyworld

Can I just say: Who the bloody hell would take a simple thing like a strut and then design the application so that one has to dismantle so much just to replace it?? Infiniti, of course ! Thank baby jesus that I have an 07 an the struts on my boot lid and bonnet are right out front and simple to replace. I hope Infiniti sacked the person who designed your strut application.
Thank you for the kind words!

I can't take the credit as the posted instructions and subsequent photos were mint.

The engineers maybe thought their bullet-proof struts would outlast the car or only require a one time replacement? Although the design conceals the struts while employing a horizontal placement inside the hinge, it does offer more trunk space by traveling into the passenger cabin to connect. The monster hinge arms in the trunk are another matter.

I can't believe I waited as long as I did with all the hassle of this weak link. The trunk is a now a dream to operate and access.

wallyworld

szh wrote:
wallyworld wrote:Hello once again.

Wow was that easy!

Most excellent! :dblthumb: I also waited a while after receiving the new struts till I installed them. :biggrin: My final straw was when I reached inside the trunk (when I had the old struts) and the lid came down on my head ... quite painful!

Yup, based on what you noted, it seems pretty clear that a single working strut is not sufficient - I had the same experience. One of the struts was raspy and scratchy and it was probably the one that caused the overall problem.

Z
Thanks again for your efforts in this thread.

I felt silly driving an infiniti and having to use a stick to hold open the trunk. Most times I would scrap the stick and fight with it. Crazy how much you can actually put up with sometimes! :crazy:

It was a bit dicey without a helper climbing in the trunk with only the stick to protect me. Lucky. :woot:

buster59

I tried to order the trunk struts GSNI 5150-80 they cant tell you if they will work or not.
I have a 2003 M45 from japan are these I ones I need?

paranoidjack
Car: 2012 M56s
2003 M45
2001 QX4
2000 Q45
1998 Pathy
1996 J30

Yes. I just did it this week. Same parts for a 2003 2004 M45. Attach the cabin side first, you'll thank me for that advice later.

Wait...you have a 2003 M45 from Japan???

Do you mean you have a Gloria or Cedric? It is my understanding there are no Infinitis in Japan, and that is why they pay such high $$$ for our grilles....?

szh

paranoidjack wrote:Attach the cabin side first, you'll thank me for that advice later.
Yes! I did say that in my step 17, but didn't emphasize it properly. :yesnod

Thanks!

Z

BlueCat57
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45

wallyworld wrote:
Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:37 am

Thank you for the kind words!

I can't take the credit as the posted instructions and subsequent photos were mint.

The engineers maybe thought their bullet-proof struts would outlast the car or only require a one time replacement? Although the design conceals the struts while employing a horizontal placement inside the hinge, it does offer more trunk space by traveling into the passenger cabin to connect. The monster hinge arms in the trunk are another matter.

I can't believe I waited as long as I did with all the hassle of this weak link. The trunk is a now a dream to operate and access.
There is a special circle in Hell for automotive engineers. They will be condemned to repairing what they designed for all ETERNITY! Olde Wisdom from Thee Frugal Curmudgeon :chuckle:

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”