Registering Skyline in Portland, Oregon

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
tree fingers
Car: '93 RX-7
'85 Corolla GT-S

I searched and found a similar thread, but it did not really answer my question. So, here goes

I have recently moved to Portland, Oregon, and I am considering purchasing a RB25 swapped GTST. I am concerned that the car will not pass the smog test. Unfortunately, I live in an area that requires a smog test. The car has a cat and a stock turbocharger. Is anyone here from the Portland area and familiar with the process to get a car like this smogged? Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance-

ericherm1
Car: 1997 Pickup XE 2.4L 4x4 Single cab short box
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR
1991 240sx SE SR20DET + S13 Silvia Front end swap (Sold)

You know they are over 25 years old so they are federally exempt right? That is unless your state is so retarded to require emissions from cars 25yrs old or older.....

If you have to pass a smog test it will have to be the sniffer test where they put the sensor up the tail pipe. All R32's are pre-OBDII so they will not communicate with standard emissions testing station equipment. The later half of 94' had OBDII but those are not even legal to import yet,.... have to wait till end of 2019.

Looking at your States emission laws:
https://www.dmv.com/or/oregon/emissions-testing

Too bad your not in Medford..... "It is 20 years old or less"

Good luck modding with that emissions requirement.

2_Liter_Turbo
Car: _________________
'96 S14 Coupe: SR20VET
'90 R32 TH1 GTR: RB26DETT
'92 S13 Fastback: SR20DET
'11 V36 Sedan: VQ25HR
'06 GMT800 2500HD: LBZ Duramax

Portland will require a sniffer test, but no visual inspection. You will need to have a good cat on the car as well as a functioning charcoal canister. You may have to get it tuned as well. I used to live in the area, it's not too hard to get passed emissions there. Portland requires all cars post 70-something to get smogged. Jackson county only requires 25 years or newer to get passed emissions and the rest of the state is exempt. Main reason why I moved south of Portland and commuted to work in Portland, because I didn't want to deal with it, ha ha!

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”