Register an R32 in Arizona?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
mk3design
Car: 1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R

Can't find your PM link(maybe because I don't have enough posts?). I'm located in Scottsdale.

I have read your blog, great stuff! It's definitely helped out in understanding the process and what paperwork I'll be needing.

spekterg35

Has anyone had success getting temp (30 day) tags for these cars? I would like to be able to drive my car home from the port of Long Beach once I pick it up, but the odd vin/chassis number seems like it will be problematic.

Wildtraveler
Car: 2012 mazdaspeed
1989 BNR32

I got a 30 day tag this morning. Im not sure what Arizona says but if you take these items you cant be to far off...

1: Original title
2: certified and notary Translated title
3: Bill of sale signed by your self and seller
4: proof of insurance
5: drivers license
6: $5

That is what I had when I went and I had zero problems. Though the lady that helped me has worked with military coming home from over seas and knew the process. I would call them ahead of time and let them know you are coming explaining you situation and ask them what you can expect and what to bring. Hope this helps.

spekterg35

Thanks. I will look into it over here. I live in a military town so hopefully they will have the same experience.

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

spekterg35 wrote:Has anyone had success getting temp (30 day) tags for these cars? I would like to be able to drive my car home from the port of Long Beach once I pick it up, but the odd vin/chassis number seems like it will be problematic.
It shouldn't be a problem - I got one for my car while I was waiting to get the proper registration sorted. If you want to save some hassle, get one from a third-party place - you'll pay more but save a lot of waiting versus the MVD office.

GSX-R35

mk3design wrote:Can't find your PM link(maybe because I don't have enough posts?). I'm located in Scottsdale.

I have read your blog, great stuff! It's definitely helped out in understanding the process and what paperwork I'll be needing.
Just sent you a PM myself instead. If you click on the name of whoever you want to send a PM to it takes you to a page where it has a choice to "send a private message" - AFAIK it's not dependent on post count. I know someone in Mesa that can probably help you out with where to go as far as a good MVD office.

mk3design

Yeah I can't even reply being a new member :/ I have some time until the car lands stateside, once I'm able to respond I will :) Thanks for the help!

GSX-R35

mk3design wrote:Yeah I can't even reply being a new member :/ I have some time until the car lands stateside, once I'm able to respond I will :) Thanks for the help!
That's weird that you can't even reply. My friend already said he's happy to help you out. You can email me at 23gtblog(at)gmail.com if you'd like to get his info already.

spekterg35

Got my 30 day temp tag! Just a couple short weeks away from picking my car up in CA and bringing it home.

GSX-R35

spekterg35 wrote:Got my 30 day temp tag! Just a couple short weeks away from picking my car up in CA and bringing it home.
Be sure and post pics and tell us how it goes :)

mk3design

Just to update, the DMV on Hayden and Mc Kellips in Scottsdale/Tempe was amazing. No issues at all in registering the car, took me 20 mins in and out. Ask for Joshua, he was super familiar with the process.

GSX-R35

mk3design wrote:Just to update, the DMV on Hayden and Mc Kellips in Scottsdale/Tempe was amazing. No issues at all in registering the car, took me 20 mins in and out. Ask for Joshua, he was super familiar with the process.
That's good to know. Hopefully this means word's getting around to the various MVDs and people will have an easier time from now on.

fn_gtr
Car: '90 Pearl White Nismo R32
'90 Wine Red R32 GT-R

mk3design wrote:Just to update, the DMV on Hayden and Mc Kellips in Scottsdale/Tempe was amazing. No issues at all in registering the car, took me 20 mins in and out. Ask for Joshua, he was super familiar with the process.
The one on McKellips & McClintock? I'm not seeing one on Hayden but I need to go get mine registered this week so that would be amazing if they made it easy. Did they need to do an inspection still? What paperwork did you need to take?

Edit: I'm an idiot, forgot Hayden was north of 202, McClintock is south.

rudenate
Car: R32 GT-R

I wasn't able to get a 30 day tag without emissions or an AZ title. They also wouldn't give me a title transfer without a level 2 inspection even though the car already had a Virginia title. Just got the 30 day tag today now that I got the title transferred over as the car hasn't passed emissions yet... Just glad to be driving it legally now.

fn_gtr
Car: '90 Pearl White Nismo R32
'90 Wine Red R32 GT-R

rudenate wrote:I wasn't able to get a 30 day tag without emissions or an AZ title. They also wouldn't give me a title transfer without a level 2 inspection even though the car already had a Virginia title. Just got the 30 day tag today now that I got the title transferred over as the car hasn't passed emissions yet... Just glad to be driving it legally now.
We meet again lol. First reddit now here... I've got my 30 day tags but need to go Thursday to get it fully registered.

dunnman99
Car: 1997 R33 GT-R V-spec

Hello All,

New here. I am stationed out in Australia and I just got my fully compliant 1997 R33 V-spec with 62K km on it. I intend on bringing it back to the USA with me. It will have a full english title, english compliancy VIN plate replacement. And it will be over 25 years old when I plan on bringing it back. I am looking long term to get another V-spec and store it here with minimal use until I head back. Due to everything being in english (title, registration, compliance, emissions-Australian, inspections) will this make it any easier to bring it back as a 25 year old antique?

Thank you

GSX-R35

dunnman99 wrote:Hello All,

New here. I am stationed out in Australia and I just got my fully compliant 1997 R33 V-spec with 62K km on it. I intend on bringing it back to the USA with me. It will have a full english title, english compliancy VIN plate replacement. And it will be over 25 years old when I plan on bringing it back. I am looking long term to get another V-spec and store it here with minimal use until I head back. Due to everything being in english (title, registration, compliance, emissions-Australian, inspections) will this make it any easier to bring it back as a 25 year old antique?

Thank you
The only papers that the Feds and state DMV usually want to see is the title and whatever proof of ownership you have (bill of sale, foreign reg in your name, etc). Foreign emissions doesn't matter because 25-year old imports are emissions exempt at the Federal level and states that require emissions will require you to retest once it's in the state. Foreign inspection paperwork doesn't matter either because they do their own inspections on entry and usually at registration. Having it in English is good but with Japanese market cars only the Export Certificate requires translation anyway so it's not a big difference. By the time you're legal to bring your R33 in it should be fairly easy since by 2022 a ton of earlier Skylines will have been imported by then and the path will have been well trodden by other people.

One thing to be wary of though is to check the state emissions requirements where you're going. Some states will only do emissions testing via OBD-II and require it on cars newer than 1996. Since the R33 doesn't have OBD-II you probably won't be able to register it in a state that requires it. If you're coming here to Arizona then you'll need a sniffer test in Phoenix and Tucson metro but no OBD-II unless the law changes.

If you need to know more about the import and registration process you can read my primer here:

http://23gt.blogspot.com/2015/04/buying ... 1-one.html

Figueroa95620
Car: 1995 Toyota supra tt
1989 Nissan skyline Gtst

GSX-r35 I am currently in Yuma and I am trying to buy a skyline from a friend who legally imported his skyline. Before I finalize the purchase I was wondering if I could get a list of al you exactly needed to register your skyline in Yuma. As well if we could get together in person to discuss the process.

GSX-R35

Figueroa95620 wrote:GSX-r35 I am currently in Yuma and I am trying to buy a skyline from a friend who legally imported his skyline. Before I finalize the purchase I was wondering if I could get a list of al you exactly needed to register your skyline in Yuma. As well if we could get together in person to discuss the process.
In order to register my R32 I needed:

1. Export Certificate
2. Translation of #1
3. Bill of Sale
4. DOT Form HS-7
5. EPA Form 3520-1
6. Level II inspection form - I was asked to do the inspection by the supervisor before they could proceed

The paperwork involved is explained in my blog post here:

http://23gt.blogspot.com/2015/05/buying ... apers.html

And tips on the process are here:

http://23gt.blogspot.com/2015/05/buying ... ivers.html

I sent you a PM about how to contact me.

emeza39

Hello, Everyone

I am a new member to your forum. I currently live an reside in CA and as you may know owning a jdm legend is pretty much impossible in California legally. However I have family that live is AZ and I want to purchase a skyline, soarer, or JZX90 25 years or older. Please have patience with me as I live in another state and I am unaware of the AZ laws. What do I need to register a 25 year or older jdm car in Phoenix? Will it require a smog check every 2 years as CA? Someone please help

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Hey Emeza!

Welcome aboard. I'm in AZ, so I can help. Cars over 25 in AZ have a couple options. I have several classics here, and your BEST bet is to insure the car as a Special Interest or Collectible (I use Hagerty) and there's no emissions requirements thereafter (IF you reside in AZ).

If it's your only car, that'll be a challenge. However, there's no reason a properly-running JDM classic won't pass emissions.

With all that said, here's the problem: You live in CA. Registering a car in AZ won't fly with the Gestapo in CA. I'm sure you can skirt the law for a while, but at some point, they're gonna crack down and require you to register it in the state you live in (your insurance company can also rat you out, and if you have a claim, they can counter that you were being shady and deny the claim).

Best bet? Get the hell out of that state, and away from their nutcase laws.

emeza39

Thank you for your very quick reply. I just seen your response, yes I did a lot of research and you are right. The only other option is registering the car in an area exempt from emissions testing as you guys wonderfully have in AZ (as i do plan on modifying the car ;) ). But as you said it all is still very risky but registering the car in AZ is still one of the few options I have. I love California but this is by far the biggest con of living here our Air Resource Board, they screw us car guys in CA. People think regulation is good but too much of it as my case just sucks. I mean technically we can register a grey market 25 year old car but it has to get tested by a lab for emissions and that cost between $5,000 and $10,000 and even then your car will have to be tested every 2 years for smog so that means no modifying it. So it all comes down whether to take the risk or not. Well again thanks again for your knowledge and honestly this whole situation has seriously been making me think to move to another state

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”