RE4FO4W VLSD Question

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
98Infini30T
Car: 1998 Infiniti i30T

Hello everyone,

Been lurking around this forum looking at service manuals and threads to get a better understanding of my car, but hoping someone can clear up some stuff for me.

I have the RE4FO4W but have seen this classified as RE4FO4V on AMSOIL and other product websites when I have entered my car info when searching for a full synthetic ATF, but assuming this is the same VLSD transmission, or am I wrong?

Also, knowing that the difference between the 1998 Infiniti I30 and Touring is the Viscous Limited slip differential. I am surprised to see that the two share the same ATF classification of Matic D or Dextron III. I would assume some form of additive would have been necessary due to more moving parts, but also extend the life of the oil compared to a non-VLSD due to more pressure and requirement for higher viscosity to be functional.

Appreciate all the info and feel free to ELI5.

EdBwoy

Hello and welcome to NICOclub.

One place that the trans of your car would be written is the VIN ID plate on the firewall. I assume you already know that.
According to the FSM's maintenance section, both types of auto transmissions require Matic D.
Page 8 here -> http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual? ... 998_I30/ma
Honestly, I don't know enough about automatic transmissions to tell you why both will take normal fluid yet a limited slip differential on a RWD car requires special gear oil.

What I'd do is trust the manufacturer on this one. Not sure of your mileage, but whatever they put in has been functioning just fine all this time, right?
I in doubt, just take it to the dealer and have them hold the liability. Trans fluid, after all, isn't a service you have to spend money on too often.

Other random things I looked up.
AT. pg 284 - http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual? ... 998_I30/at
MT. pg 41 - http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual? ... 998_I30/mt

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

The additive on a normal LSD is graphite. On one of those the clutch discs contact each other but on a VLSD the fluid stays between them to not touch, they just come close enough so that the one clutch part drags the other one along through fluid coupling pretty much alone. Call that coupling a very close tolerance impeller similar to how a torque converter works without any contact of parts needed and it needs no special fluid additive to do it.

MesaGuy
Car: 2000 Maxima GLE VQ3000 A/T

RE4F04A/RE4F04V and
RE4F04A/RE4F04W are both equipped with the VLSD.
The Original Transmission for you vehicle is listed on the VIN plate in the engine compartment back wall, behind engine, driver's side.
Its like the 3rd or 4th line down.

In both cases, the Viscous Slip unit is totally sealed (from other parts of the transmission) and contains a heavy weight viscous oil (much thicker than ATF). The VLSD is essentially totally indepdendent of the ATF you are putting in the remainder of the transmission. The VLSD is not user serviceable. You do not replace the Viscous Fluid ever. In fact, the unit cannot be serviced by mechanics either, just replaced as a unit. (The unit can be replaced, or substituted with other after market options.)

I believe you can even put the VLSD unit into the the standard "B" transmission, but you would have to replace the entire Final drive assembly (e.g. the Differential, the diferential pinion, side gears, and drive wheel. The VLSD version has a larger donut hole in its drive gear, and the differntial itself has 4 transfer pinions on a holy-cross mount, whereas the stndard just has a 2 (a top and bottom) on a pinion shaft. So the VLSD in additionl to having the LSD, also has 2 more transfer gears to distribute power better, and prevent warping.

The VLSD is better on the track, on the road, and in snow.

Most Canadian version of the Maximum have the VLSD (because of SNOW), and very few USA Maxima's have the VLSD. The i30t Infiniti was the only USA automatic, except for: 20th Aniversary Addition Maxima's, and special order SE Automatics that special ordered the VLSD.

Some (few) 5mt manual SE's also had the VLSD. All GXE, all GLE, and most SE automatics were open differential in the USA. Most SE manuals in the USA were open differential too. But a some SE's, and 20th Anniv. Addition Maximas had VLSD, as well as i30t (only automatic).

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”