RB25det 1000HP Build

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
Jimefam

USsil80 wrote:if you do please let me know, I leave not far from there and would like to see the car. help if needed,
Will do but which one? I mentioned a few tracks.

RRRRB
Car: 98 RB powered S14

Rips from what i've read, are not filling there rb30's and havent been cracking blocks i bet you'll be ok youve done all the right things to prevent it... are 26 blocks really proven stronger?

Jimefam

RRRRB wrote:Rips from what i've read, are not filling there rb30's and havent been cracking blocks i bet you'll be ok youve done all the right things to prevent it... are 26 blocks really proven stronger?
Rips cracked their 30 middle of last year or so and filled their current one iirc. Also for me to run what i need to run i need to make about what rips is making power wise but he ran it on a much lighter dragster which is much easier on the motor. My car will be at least 500lbs heavier than robs and with the constant wheelies in x275 (wheelie bars arent allowed) it will be that much harder on em. I did as you say take many steps to try and have the block hold up so i hope i dont need a back up plan.I dont think the 26 blocks are any stronger and that's one of the reasons I wanted to build this as many people discard the 25. What I said I would upgrade to is the RD28 block which is from a diesel nissan patrol and is supposed to be much beefier.

bmxarmy
Car: 1961 rambler

Is the RD28 block adaptable for the 25 or 26 head? i did a quick search and it looked like its a secret...... Involves magic and wizards and s***.

Build is looking deadly.

Jimefam

bmxarmy wrote:Is the RD28 block adaptable for the 25 or 26 head? i did a quick search and it looked like its a secret...... Involves magic and wizards and s***.

Build is looking deadly.
Yeah it is adaptable to a 25 head, not sure exactly what is necessary to get them to work but if its been done before (which it has) I have confidence that my shop can make it happen. Thanks for the compliment I hope she is far from done.

RRRRB

Rips cracked the block with a broken motor mount and loose motor plate bolts, however they mentioned filling the new block from what ive read. hopefully you'll be ok, they did run that motor in a car prior to the dragster as well so it saw some weight.

The RD28 seems like alot of work and alot of unknowns not to mention finding one... if that was your last option i would go 2J before an RD28

Jimefam

RRRRB wrote:Rips cracked the block with a broken motor mount and loose motor plate bolts, however they mentioned filling the new block from what ive read. hopefully you'll be ok, they did run that motor in a car prior to the dragster as well so it saw some weight.

The RD28 seems like alot of work and alot of unknowns not to mention finding one... if that was your last option i would go 2J before an RD28
Yeah most of the cracked rb blocks I found broke near the motor mounts which is why I used the front plate to take the stress off the side of the block. Hopefully I'm covered I try to cover my bases. I am NOT into crossbreeding so no 2j for me only a nissan motor will be in my 240. Hell id go TB before I ever considered a 2j. The RD would be a bit of a pain though I hope my little 25 holds up.

USsil80

Jimefam wrote:
USsil80 wrote:if you do please let me know, I leave not far from there and would like to see the car. help if needed,
Will do but which one? I mentioned a few tracks.
MIR and Cecil, i live just outside Ocean city , so either one is close.

Jimefam

Few videos I pulled off the camcorder, like I said they aren't very good cause I was using them more to monitor AFR since my haltech O2 controller wasn't working we had to use the BigStuff one.

Startup

1135ish run Note the computer screen on the left has the RPM's, Crank HP, and Boost iirc

1042 With the boost falling hard but revving it out more

And two of when it was breaking up and we were getting ready to call it quits. You can see how the same map as before is running wayy richer as the fuel is unburnt and steve wondering wtf is happening to the map that was working good.

MarcBergeon
Car: Formula D ProAm spec RB25 S13 hatch drift sled

Very impressive!

Jimefam

Ok so I've got a few pictures of whats been done recently. The motor is back at NRC but not in the car. Since we were having issue with accurate rpm readings past 9,000 we are making a crank trigger to go on the ATI balancer, hopefully this week this will be complete. Right now the two big hold ups are the ignition and the torque converter. I cut a corner when I decided to use chase bays and the LS truck coils and it bit me so this time I want no issues. I ordered the M&W Pro drag 6 500MJ CDI boxes and their coils, with that I should have sufficient spark for any power level or fuel I choose. As for the tq converter I have the ATI adapter plate which requires the use of the ati 8" converter but ive heard mixed results from a few users and I also want a two piece converter as well as 8" isnt ideal for me so custom billet converter it is. Once I have the converter we can mount the trans and measure the driveshaft needed so we can order the carbon fiber driveshaft. Here's whats been done other wise:

Wheels, suspension and rear powdercoated black to match under carriage paint

Stange Ultra Case center section in

Rear in the car

Wheels on, I had originally left the beadlock ring polished but now it will be black too as I dont like it this way

chad b.
Car: chocolate chip kouki

Props for not considering cross breeding your car. I hate that s*** myself. And for the love of God, it would be great if people would stop putting Chevy engines in Imports. It's blasphemy. I warned you about those idiots at ChaseBays. I wouldn't trust them to wire up a set of fog lights. Car is coming along nicely though. Hope is can be competitive in the x275 class. Is that the same class Gary White runs in?

Jimefam

chad b. wrote:Props for not considering cross breeding your car. I hate that s*** myself. And for the love of God, it would be great if people would stop putting Chevy engines in Imports. It's blasphemy. I warned you about those idiots at ChaseBays. I wouldn't trust them to wire up a set of fog lights. Car is coming along nicely though. Hope is can be competitive in the x275 class. Is that the same class Gary White runs in?
Thanks. I'm not sure what class Gary is running now (if any) but it isnt X275. Not sure if you mean when they used to run XTF but they dont run that car anymore iirc. As for cross breeding it depends on whom you ask. You could certainly make a case ive already done it seeing as I'm using a domestic designed rear and trans. For me there simply wasnt a viable Nissan alternative for those parts but as far as motors are concerned there isn't a need to go outside of the brand.

daemonyk
Car: '93 240SX

chad b. wrote:Props for not considering cross breeding your car. I hate that s*** myself. And for the love of God, it would be great if people would stop putting Chevy engines in Imports. It's blasphemy.
It's not too bad. Things balance in the end. Every time a Nissan 240 gets a Chevy V8, a Ford Mustang gets a Toyota 2J :biggrin:

Jimefam

Few more, rear brake lines run and driveshaft collar sensor pick up in plus got a little package.

bmxarmy
Car: 1961 rambler

Your going to love that ptc convertor

Jimefam

bmxarmy wrote:Your going to love that ptc convertor
Yeah from what I've seen them do on turbo cars their stuff is excellent. Hopefully I can put it to use soon.

williamkleasley
Car: 1996 Nissan 240sx se rb25 1000+whp nasty

Hey was wondering if you got your rb25 running good already some friends where telling me about the car. That you had been chasing some ignition issues possibly and couldn't get it to run much over 7k... I would be glad to help and can give you my number or personal email I have a built rb25 stock block and head pushing over a 1000whp yes you heard right and I had started my build about the same time you did and did mine very similar engine wise. Although mine is in a s14 mostly just a insane street car I drive around and runs perfect I twist mine on stock coils with absolutely no problems what so ever to 8.5-9k but my tuner who is out of Greenville, SC could help out. Mine wouldn't run right either at first he worked his magic and he is one of the best he can get you straightened out for sure trust me I have a insane amount tied up in the car. Let me know if your interested.

RRRRB

Lol... stock head 9k 1000whp the dyno lied to you

Jimefam

williamkleasley wrote:Hey was wondering if you got your rb25 running good already some friends where telling me about the car. That you had been chasing some ignition issues possibly and couldn't get it to run much over 7k... I would be glad to help and can give you my number or personal email I have a built rb25 stock block and head pushing over a 1000whp yes you heard right and I had started my build about the same time you did and did mine very similar engine wise. Although mine is in a s14 mostly just a insane street car I drive around and runs perfect I twist mine on stock coils with absolutely no problems what so ever to 8.5-9k but my tuner who is out of Greenville, SC could help out. Mine wouldn't run right either at first he worked his magic and he is one of the best he can get you straightened out for sure trust me I have a insane amount tied up in the car. Let me know if your interested.
Thanks for the offer, it certainly sounds like you guys have it figured out. I hopefully have the problems solved as I changed the ignition system completely to have sufficient spark to make as much power as the motor will hold. Also got a crank trigger setup so I have a clean signal as I intend to run to about 10,500.

If I have issues going further iI'll reach out though. Wouldn't mind seeing more of your build though it sounds like a great build. Is your screen name csra motorsports on another forum?

Jimefam

RRRRB wrote:Lol... stock head 9k 1000whp the dyno lied to you
He probably means stock head casting but I would think if your spending insane amounts of money some would go to the head so its probably built.

RRRRB

Jimefam wrote:
RRRRB wrote:Lol... stock head 9k 1000whp the dyno lied to you
He probably means stock head casting but I would think if your spending insane amounts of money some would go to the head so its probably built.
Stock head casting... is there something else available?

Jimefam

Stock head casting... is there something else available?[/quote]

Not for the RB but for example I'm in the habit of saying stock block and head when talking with friends about the motor as they are mainly domestic guys for whom there are many heads available and no one uses the stock head or block.

Darius
Car: RB25DET S14 - 665 WHP (SOLD)

Jimefam wrote:Thanks for the offer, it certainly sounds like you guys have it figured out. I hopefully have the problems solved as I changed the ignition system completely to have sufficient spark to make as much power as the motor will hold. Also got a crank trigger setup so I have a clean signal as I intend to run to about 10,500.
Is this on the stock lifters or did you swap in solid lifters? Sorry, I can't remember.

Jimefam

Darius wrote:Thanks for the offer, it certainly sounds like you guys have it figured out. I hopefully have the problems solved as I changed the ignition system completely to have sufficient spark to make as much power as the motor will hold. Also got a crank trigger setup so I have a clean signal as I intend to run to about 10,500.

Is this on the stock lifters or did you swap in solid lifters? Sorry, I can't remember.
C'mon now I'm dumb but not that much. Supertech solid lifters.

Darius
Car: RB25DET S14 - 665 WHP (SOLD)

haahha no no I wasn't saying you were dumb! :blush: I was just curious if you had a trick up your sleeve to get the stock lifters to rev higher.

Jimefam

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

as always, I love this car :)

Jimefam

Thanks Ricky, its slowly getting done but man do certain things drag the project on. I haven't been pushing it that much the last few months as I've been focusing on the GTR but both are nearly done so hopefully I'll have something quick in the near future.

RRRRB

Looking awesome as usual

I'm surprised your still using a Greddy manifold... i bet something something with a bigger plenum would benefit your setup..

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”