RB25det 1000HP Build

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
Jimefam

Rich2ard7son wrote:I picked everything up today and will have more pics in a few days as he took some pictures of the processes and will email them to me. Heres what I took:ImageImageImageImageImage
Spambot? Or just posted in the wrong thread.

Jimefam

Just a few shots with the paint done, note the distance to the track in a few pictures :biggrin:

Undercarriage was painted black

New taillights in

One possible look

mixeds14
Car: 240

Pure awesomeness ... Can't wait to see it in action

reese69
Car: R33 skyline

hi mate..

amazing set up so far..

i am doing a rb25 set up - do you have part numbers and where you got you NOS kit/setup..

Jimefam

Part number for the nitrous? Its NOS 05040 FI iirc and I got it of amazon.

91s13th400
Car: 91 s13 and 95 g20

wow!!!! any more updates

Jimefam

91s13th400 wrote:wow!!!! any more updates
Cant believe how long its been since I update this thread, a year ago I would have bet anything I would have had this done by now. Alas a series of fortunate and unfortunate events have conspired to keep me from getting this done. The chassis is pretty much done with the exception of putting the rear end together and back in and the rear shocks. We are waiting to get some numbers from the engine dyno to order the converter, rear gear and shocks. Ive missed a few scheduled tuning days and proline has cancelled a few on me. Once we FINALLY get it tuned the rest should come together pretty quick but ive said that before so we'll see. In the meantime I've finished one "build" and started another one so I'm keeping busy. Only have a few pictures on my cell and I'm out of town so perhaps I can do a better update next weekend.

Interior all carpeted, it has since been fully finished with panels cut in and painted but no pics.

This project is done lol. She was born a month early

And this one starts two weeks from now

Yellow4g63
Car: 95 RB20 240, 91 NX2000 VE power, 95 Stock 240sx

Congrats on the new children.

MarcBergeon
Car: Formula D ProAm spec RB25 S13 hatch drift sled

This entire thread is amazing!! Love it!

Keep up the great work :dblthumb:

USsil80

congrads on the baby girl, i have a 4 year old girl as well ... I am planning on starting a company that employs a "home drone defense", to keep all the coming and leaving of the house under control. Also the company will provide art deco bars on all teenage girls bedroom windows, you know to keep out the bogy monster.

Jimefam

Thanks guys the baby girl is certainly a handful but a lot of fun.
USsil80 wrote:congrads on the baby girl, i have a 4 year old girl as well ... I am planning on starting a company that employs a "home drone defense", to keep all the coming and leaving of the house under control. Also the company will provide art deco bars on all teenage girls bedroom windows, you know to keep out the bogy monster.
Lol count me in! BTW ill just leave this here:

gmac708
Car: :o)
1970 240Z
1972 510

Nooooooooooo^^^^^^^
Must have sound! This is not fair!

Jimefam

gmac708 wrote:Nooooooooooo^^^^^^^
Must have sound! This is not fair!
:biggrin: No that's just a quick picture of it 95% ready to go. All that is pending is I'm going tomorrow morning to run some new lines for my wastegates and bov as I got rid of the old set up. The PLAN is to test fire it on monday check for bugs, leaks etc and if all is well then tuning will commence tuesday. I hope so as I'm leaving out of town wednesday and when I come back I am supposed to begin taking apart the GTR and getting that motor built so I'll be extremely busy. If tuning does happen tuesday and all goes well ill pick it up and take the motor to NRC the following week. But trust me I will have full video as long as I can be there (and I REALLY want to be there) and dyno #'s coming somewhat soon (finally?)

Jimefam

Well it was a pretty good day on the dyno but could have been MUCH better once again motherfuking chasebays strikes again.First who the hell knows how they wired my 02 sensor module so I ccouldn't calibrate the damn thing. Had to use the big stuff one of the dyno but that made datalogging a pain. Second these geniuses used 18ga wire for the 12V and ground to my coil (even though I took them a 500ft spool of 14ga to use check earlier pics) well the damn motor wouldn't rev past 5800 on boost and was running like s***. Luckily a member on here and nearby neighbor of mine helped run some thicker power wires directly to the dyno battery and that helped us get here:

That is 1127@7000rpm running 48psi. We ran one more pass which ended up being the highest of the day 1157@7150rpm with 49psI but that popped of the valve cover vent

We always planned to rev to about 10k so we made a pass with less CO2 on the gate. I'm running my wastegates with no springs and just put X amount of psi pressure with CO2. So we took off 10 psi of the gate and it made this while breaking up a bit:

This was at 44lbs@7k falling of to 38psi at the end. We actually backed up the boost on the following pass and made 1041@9400 with 36psi just cause it was breaking up less. Try as we might we could get the coils to ignite any higher cylinder pressure. I got the info I needed on spool and the motor runs strong and oil pressure and everything and timing was real mild since we were trying to rev it out. Kinda bummed I couldn't see it run XXXX@10000rpm with 50psi but I'm super happy motor took it like a champ, all told we made 17 pulls of just over 1khp and the plugs egts and everything else looked good. We cut the filter open and not much at all in it. After the first track session we'll pull the bearings to make sure everything is durable. Not bad for a little ol 25. I'm glad I was at least able to hit my goal for this thread.
Last edited by Jimefam on Wed May 08, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yellow4g63
Car: 95 RB20 240, 91 NX2000 VE power, 95 Stock 240sx

Nice!

Ramius83
Car: 1995 240sx SE

Glad I could help you out with what I had to work with. I still wish I went ahead and modified the ground circuit too while I was there. But oh well. Glad to hear everything went well for the most part. Again, congratulations and I hope to be hearing back from you soon. Thanks for letting me see the monster before it gets let out into the open...... :naughty:

Jimefam

Ramius83 wrote:Glad I could help you out with what I had to work with. I still wish I went ahead and modified the ground circuit too while I was there. But oh well. Glad to hear everything went well for the most part. Again, congratulations and I hope to be hearing back from you soon. Thanks for letting me see the monster before it gets let out into the open...... :naughty:

Your a lifesaver man! If I had to pull the engine off the dyno with only 300ish hp I would have burned CB's to the ground. Wait til you see it @commerce or SGMP testing.

Jimefam

Yellow4g63 wrote:Nice!
Thanks.

USsil80

So let me get this straight, you made over 1k in horsepower, and still want more? Hell where is this test and tune, got to see this s***! Congrads!

Jimefam

USsil80 wrote:So let me get this straight, you made over 1k in horsepower, and still want more? Hell where is this test and tune, got to see this s***! Congrads!
Lol its not that I want more its that I NEED more! Lol 1100 is cool and it made me super happy to see it run well and hold up but for me to be competitive in a class where they routinely run 4.60's in the 1/8 I'm gonna need atleast 1350ish. I got some videos but they suck ill look through and try to find a decent one. Most of the time I was using the camera to film the AFR readout in the big stuff 3 since I couldn't datalog it on the haltech I could film it and the rpm readout on the dyno to get an idea where to adjust. Plan had been when the tune was done and we made peak power to do a run with a tune we knew was rock solid then id film that but the coil issue cut the session short.

Largekid
Car: '96 RB S14 SE, '04 LS6 CTS-V

congrats on the progess! Looks like everything is starting to work itself out. Figure out the bugs, then start raping tracks!

USsil80

4.6 1/8 mile run. DAMN. what class is this?

Jimefam

USsil80 wrote:4.6 1/8 mile run. DAMN. what class is this?
X275.net the class is called X275, it is a "street car" class that requires a 275 drag radial and no wheelie bars. Current record is 4.55@161 but usually runs are mid 60's.

Darius
Car: RB25DET S14 - 665 WHP (SOLD)

It is great to see you achieve your power goal despite some hiccups in the wiring harness hampering the tuning session. Not to pour salt in the wound, but I have only heard bad things about chasebays wiring harnesses. I understand there are slight variations in ECUs within engine sets, but all of them should still be tested before shipment. And 18GA on a coil ground for a 1000hp setup? Cmon get serious!

While we are on the topic of grounding, where is the battery located? I'm assuming it is in the trunk space? If so, make sure there is a ground wire from the battery to the front of the car and that the coil harness is tied into that point. I had weird issues with my relocated battery until I did that and it cleared up some electrical gremlins and misfiring under boost.

How are you running the PCV system? Is it plumbed into the exhaust to pull vacuum or is it venting to atmosphere? I'm just wondering if you need more vacuum to evacuate the blow-by more efficiently and prevent the block from pressurizing.

Jimefam

Darius wrote:It is great to see you achieve your power goal despite some hiccups in the wiring harness hampering the tuning session. Not to pour salt in the wound, but I have only heard bad things about chasebays wiring harnesses. I understand there are slight variations in ECUs within engine sets, but all of them should still be tested before shipment. And 18GA on a coil ground for a 1000hp setup? Cmon get serious!

While we are on the topic of grounding, where is the battery located? I'm assuming it is in the trunk space? If so, make sure there is a ground wire from the battery to the front of the car and that the coil harness is tied into that point. I had weird issues with my relocated battery until I did that and it cleared up some electrical gremlins and misfiring under boost.

How are you running the PCV system? Is it plumbed into the exhaust to pull vacuum or is it venting to atmosphere? I'm just wondering if you need more vacuum to evacuate the blow-by more efficiently and prevent the block from pressurizing.
Lol yeah I have seen a ton of bad reviews after ive had all this mess with them. Frankly this is my fault for not sufficiently researching them I just saw some pretty looking harnesses and didnt realize they dont know s*** but making the same stock harnesses and me asking for certain custom things completely baffled them. Anyways I dont know ANYTHING about wiring but I'm looking at having prolines' s guy rewire the whole car so I make sure I dont have any issues going forward. Problem with that is he is super busy and would add even more time to get this done. Battery would be in the trunk so we would do it as you mentioned.

Car was actually pulling good vacuum even at 20ish pounds but due to the 4 scavenge stages on the dry sump but at damn near 50 the pump is overwhelmed so we will be venting it better. This gave us a real good idea of where we are weak (ignition, wiring) but also that we are on the right track and that the motor has the potential to run strong. We were making about 27lbs at 5500rpms and even when we had boost falling off hard and the car not firing 100% right power stayed flat from 7000-9500. Ultimately if we can put more pressure on the wastegate and hold the boost in the mid 40's to redline we can possibly see power increasing to 9500+ which would put us in a good spot competitively.

RRRRB
Car: 98 RB powered S14

Motor seems to be making some pretty good power man, get that boost to hold out all the way!

has there been a more powerful rb25? your still using RB25 crankshaft right. I forgot is the block filled?

Jimefam

RRRRB wrote:Motor seems to be making some pretty good power man, get that boost to hold out all the way!

has there been a more powerful rb25? your still using RB25 crankshaft right. I forgot is the block filled?
On the engine dyno we were using CO2 for boost control so this was with about 50psi on top of the wastegate. It blows open the gate at around 48psi of boost at that setting, if we wanted it to hold all the way through we could put another 10psi on the gate but we couldn't keep the spark from blowing out past what you see here. Combo definitely has more in it so I guess we will see the limit of a little ol 25. Stock rb25 head, block, crank and main girdle, block is about 3/4 filled. I dont know if there has ever been a more powerful rb25 but ive never seen one. Dyno numbers are nice but it dont mean much until it runs bottom 8's or high 7's like its supposed to or the 1/8 equivalents. I am a bit worried about block integrity at 50psi but this was built to push the envelope and to be competitive in X275 and 1150hp wont do it. Ive got a spare block at the house and when I get the 240 running and finish the GTR build I will build a spare short block. If this one cracks or has any issues ill use that one and back off a bit while I build an RD28.

USsil80

I thought you said that you picked up a VK if you blow the RB. are you going to make it to any east coast tracks this year, or is it just a test and tune year.

Jimefam

USsil80 wrote:I thought you said that you picked up a VK if you blow the RB. are you going to make it to any east coast tracks this year, or is it just a test and tune year.
Ive got a VK at the house but that is another long term build where I would have to create a lot of custom stuff to do it right and almost nothing from what I have now could carry over. A rd28 short block would be an easy swap where everything I have now would work. If this isnt too bad of a money pit I would actually love to build a second drag car but it would be a GTR shell with the VK in it and run it in the new Pro drag radial class. I certainly hope to make several events this year although the summer will likely be just private track rentals to dial the car in and get some seat time. As far as east coast tracks I'm dying to take it to MIR for the world cup and Cecil for the yellowbullet nationals and SGMP for lights out.

USsil80

if you do please let me know, I leave not far from there and would like to see the car. help if needed,

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”