RB25det 1000HP Build

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
Jimefam

Here is an update of the last several months:

Exhaust Complete

Oil pump support(these guys think of everything!)

Tank better mounted then just the peterson mount

Peterson remote filter mount With built in primer

Breather tank

Plumbing all done

Hinges mounted on fiberglass doors

Next they cut a hole for the ducting to the turbo to get that ram effect. Because of everything I have going in the front bumper area placement was tricky and we are certainly trading some form for function here but this is a racecar first and foremost so oh well(Took ALOT of convincing to get jay to make this car ugly lol) imo had to be done.

Paint scheme I'm toying with

The body shop will glass in the front tubing then grind it down til its flush with the bumper. I think it will look OK but Jay still isn't speaking to me lol. At this point the car was ready(except for the damn wiring) so they pulled the engine and got the car ready for the paint shop:

And they built a platform for the car to be rolled around the paint shop and itll also make it easier for the shop to paint the undercarriage:

The car is at the body shop now and I have to go to NRC to pick up the engine to put it on the dyno, however my wife is a few months pregnant and having a rough time of it so instead of us splitting our business travel I'm doing all the traveling which means I havent been home in over a month but that should change next monday when I'll hopefully drive to NRC to get the engine and stop by the body shop to get you some pics. The updates some be coming far quicker now but I've said that before lol. Enjoy

DLeeTT

Damn. Can't wait to see Videos of this monster! One question though, I might be wrong but, it looks like your dump tubes are recirculated back into the exhaust. Why did you choose to do that? Is it required in the class you'll be racing in? Don't you make a little more power with open circuit? Just wondering.

Jimefam

It made packaging easier and with the 4.5" downpipe I dont think I'll have much backpressure issues specially considering I'll be at full boost most of the run.

DLeeTT

Oh ok. I usually see race cars running either open dump tubes or no tubes at all so I was curious. Good stuff man!

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

Legit

bmxarmy
Car: 1961 rambler

WOOOOOO!!!! Looking wicked buddy! Cant wait to see more. This thing is going to be serious.

Jimefam

Not a real update just keeping everyone in the loop, I picked up the engine last weekend so I could bring it home and get the last few things done to put it on the dyno. However as I said my wife recently got pregnant with our first baby and we've been shopping for baby stuff and all that so not much time for anything. In getting the babies room ready I realized I would soon have my other baby coming(the 240) and that it was only fitting that I get its room ready too. So this past 8 days I jumped on fixing up my garage and make it fit for the car. I'm only about 70% done with the garage at this point but I had to fly out to LA unexpectedly. First the 240, Neil from 2 keys customs who is doing the body work and paint had an interesting proposition:

I've got some with the body work in progress but theyre on my laptop back home as I had to fly to LA ASAP and left it behind, hopefully I'll get my wife to upload them so I can post up progress in a few days. Now the garage, First here is what it looked like before I got started:

So first thing I wanted to do was make sure that when the 240 is here I can still fit all 3 cars in our 2 car garage and also that I can work on the 240 easily if need be. I bought a 4 post lift and installed it with the help of my brother in law:

Then it was time to paint, I wanted the whole scheme to match what the 240 will look like plus its my favorite color scheme so I went with red and black(believe it or not the 3rd room in my house I use red paint on!):

I used my brother in law's 350z to mock up if the 240 on top and my bmw on the bottom would work but it didn't clear the standard garage door so I had to have a high lift conversion done to raise the door and motor 20":

With that high lift in place I can now fit all three cars in the garage at the same time and can work on the 240 with the lift all the way up so I can stand up straight. Next was the flooring, I picked Racedeck's Diamond flooring in a red and black checkered pattern with a graphite border(to match the walls). Install was easy except for the cutting around the lift posts and although I still gotta clean it I'm happy how it came out.

That was as far as I got and I literally finished that last night at 4am with just time to get ready and catch my 10am flight. So its almost ready for the car, now I've ordered cabinets for the back wall where all the mess is now and I'm going to put a few things on the walls so it doesn't look so plain. This trip is a killer for me though cause I'm gonna be here til the 27th then I'm back in ATL for only 1 day before I go to Costa Rica for my dads 50th birthday and wont be back again until november 9th(and even then I'm only back for 5 days) so finding time to finish this up is gonna be hard. My wife isn't traveling for work anymore so I'm traveling twice as much as normal. But we'll see how it goes, hopefully also the next time I have a substantial update I'll also have a new travel rig and trailer to post up as I've been shopping.

Yellow4g63
Car: 95 RB20 240, 91 NX2000 VE power, 95 Stock 240sx

Dang that's nice!

74260zt
Car: rb26powered early 74 260z car

Sweet build!

Darius
Car: RB25DET S14 - 665 WHP (SOLD)

haha my garage has almost the exact same paint scheme except it goes white/black/grey where yours is red/grey/black. I opted for epoxy flooring due to problems with using a jack on the plastic tiles.

Not to get too far off topic, but what did you use for your garage door opener? Did you just mount your original one closer to the ceiling and add a higher-rise rail system? My buddy bought an opener that mounts on the garage door wall and operates the door within a couple inches of the ceiling.

I'm so jealous especially since I now rent an apartment downtown Chicago and rent a garage 3 miles away.

Jimefam

Yeah I just used a longer rail and mounted my traditional garage door opener about 6" from the ceiling. I could have gone higher on the high lift rail and planned on buying this side lift opener:

http://www.liftmaster.com/lmcv2/pages/p ... odelId=436

But I don't know if you can tell from the last pic I posted how high the opener is now. I have a beam that goes across my garage ceiling which comes down 1' from the rest of the ceiling, the opener is now equal with that so going any higher with the door or opener doesn't make sense since that beam is now my limiting factor. I got lucky and I can fit the 240 with it as up as you see in the last pictures and that is enough for me to stand under there no problem with a car on it so it fit just right. Wish I could get rid of the beam though cause I can't stand all the way up to work on my DD.

Jimefam

Sorry for the delay with the bodyshop pics I just got home yesterday and leave again in a couple of hours but here were the pics I got of the progress of the car. They are a little old I believe they are getting ready to spray next week:

Also the cage got certified this saturday as a 25.3 which means I'm okay til 6.50 or higher in the 1/4 mile.

Coolwhip
Vendor

Great progress. Loving it man.

Jimefam

Darius

I'm beginning to salivate! :badger

bmxarmy
Car: 1961 rambler

WOOOOOOO! Looks killer DUDE!

Coolwhip
Vendor

Yes, I continue to love it

l0nestar
Car: 1993 250sx, 2004 Altezza, 1963 Impala SS

Purdy.

Jimefam

Thanks guys she is ready to be taken back to NRC now but they are down at PRI and wont be back til next Saturday. I saw the car yesterday as I went to drop off my truck since someone decided to back into my wife in our F150. I have to say I'm super happy with how the color looks, ive got a few more but really bad cell phone pics dont do it justice. When I go back to get my truck I'll take my camera and try to get some nicer shots. I'm real glad I listened to Neil@ 2 keys custom about the color. I wanted something easy to match so I had originally thought the red from my truck but this is much more tailored to what I like and should look nice with the carbon.

Jimefam

Few more pictures today, its coming along he is just fixing a few imperfections then they're painting the undercarriage black then cut and buff and were done. Also the cage got certified for 6.50 in the 1/4 at up to 3,600lbs. Also got some new injectors to go with the fuel I'm going to use so I'm redoing the fuel rail, if anyone is interested in the bosch 2200cc injectors I originally purchased PM me they have never been run. We installed the nitrous and fixed up all the problems with the chase bays harness. Added a bunch of extra sensors on the Haltech and shock travel sensors and driveshaft rpm sensor on the racepak.

Yanos_S13
Car: 180sx

Jimefam wrote:...if anyone is interested in the bosch 2200cc injectors I originally purchased PM me they have never been run.
PM sent

RRRRB
Car: 98 RB powered S14

I bet your excited to see this thing perform.. probably the nicest put together drag S chassis and most extensive rb25 build ive seen.. Id like to see what this rb25 will do!!

Jimefam

RRRRB wrote:I bet your excited to see this thing perform.. probably the nicest put together drag S chassis and most extensive rb25 build ive seen.. Id like to see what this rb25 will do!!
Thanks for the compliments, yeah I'm super anxious to see it run. What sucks is that it was supposed to go on the engine dyno today, I hooked everything up on monday and decided to test and calibrate my sensors etc to make sure everything went fine as once I drop off the motor I'm already on the hook for the whole day rental plus the tuners day. Well I power up the haltech amd while I'm setting up the main tables hooking up the additional boxes etc the status led turns solid red. I start getting check engine lights reading low voltage, high voltage and a bunch of other random stuff. Map sensor pegs at 15.9psi basically everything goes ape s***. Well turns out Chasebays wired the wideband controller through the haltech, they also had the fuel pump relay backfeeding 12v tthrough a signal wire to the haltech, and a few other disasters like that. So my haltech is cooked and they are telling me 2-4 weeks if it doesnt have to go back to Australia.

That was soooo disappointing, I should be on here right now typing updates on each pull. Anyways that is going to push me back a month and hopefully Proline has a slot available when I'm ready again. On a better note I did get my new fuel rail back tuesday and I like it a lot more than my previous one, with the bolts up front its easy to remove and it looks cleaner. Ill paint it the same color as the car this time instead of anodizing but itll be after the dyno.

Edit: Also want to thank Ricky@Rawbrokerage who offered to loan me a haltech to make the dyno appointment. Had I been 100% sure I have the chasebays mess fixed I would have taken him up on it but two fried ecu's in a week is a bit much lol.

Darius

I hope Chasebays is financing your replacement EMS.

Has anyone had good luck with those guys? Their quality control must be garbage.

Jimefam

Darius wrote:I hope Chasebays is financing your replacement EMS.

Has anyone had good luck with those guys? Their quality control must be garbage.
LOL yeah right. I didn't get half of what I paid for although to be honest I did a charge back for what I could but I paid most of it in cash when I dropped the car off. Oh well I take it as a lesson learned and no not many people that I know of have had good luck with them. Like an idiot I didn't reseach them well enough before hand I just saw there harnesses which looked good. Another shop now is wanting me to try the new AEM infinity but I've got alot into all the haltech stuff already so hopefully i'll get it all up and running soon.

RRRRB
Car: 98 RB powered S14

Wow thats lame chase bays needs to step up, thats s***.. They shouldnt be a vendor on this site if there doing things like this

boostedh23a1
Car: Datsun 240Z
Datsun 280Z

Ive had numerous problems with my harness too, now i have a 600 dollar twin fire sitting here i cant use...

Darius

RRRRB wrote:Wow thats lame chase bays needs to step up, thats bullsh*t.. They shouldnt be a vendor on this site if there doing things like this
Agreed. The higher powers at NICO should be putting pressure on them to make this right. Who cares about their advertising contributions? If they won't back up their product and correct their mistakes along the way, people will avoid them like the plague. Bad PR like your situation spreads like wildfire on the intranets. They should deduct the reimbursement to you as an R&D or QC expense and move on.

And let's be honest. They are putting together wiring harnesses with a ridiculous profit margin.

Jimefam

Darius wrote:
RRRRB wrote:Wow thats lame chase bays needs to step up, thats bullsh*t.. They shouldnt be a vendor on this site if there doing things like this
Agreed. The higher powers at NICO should be putting pressure on them to make this right. Who cares about their advertising contributions? If they won't back up their product and correct their mistakes along the way, people will avoid them like the plague. Bad PR like your situation spreads like wildfire on the intranets. They should deduct the reimbursement to you as an R&D or QC expense and move on.

And let's be honest. They are putting together wiring harnesses with a ridiculous profit margin.
Thanks for the support guys, tbh the wasted time kills me more than the money(although that hurts lol) because I put the car and motor in their hands for 3 months that could have been used to further other things that needed doing and now I'm down another month to get my ecu fixed and the harness. I'm not one to trash a company usually, I try to promote everyone I have a good experience with an not because ive gotten a dime off any purchase either cause I havent but I said screw it ill put it out there cause when I called a friend of mine to tell him what happened he told me his AEM had been damaged too. Next person that needs one may stay away or double check the work and save themselves the delay and extra cost.

In car related matters we ordered the strange ultra case this morning so we can mount it and the transmission and get a measurement to order a carbon fiber driveshaft.

chad b.
Car: chocolate chip kouki

Man, have you not seen the bitching about ChaseBays harnesses on here? They are crap. The second link is my build thread. Close to the bottom is a group of us cutting my Chase harness apart to trouble shoot it.

aem-series-2-rb25-no-start-help-t567080.html

chad-b-s-kouki25-build-t564833.html

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”