RB25 DET Swap into what car???

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
Joe

bobob729 wrote:is300
thats a downgrade engine swap

JZ > RB. all of them.

silviasgp06
Car: 95 Nissan Zenki RB25 Powered

TablezZ wrote:Next Summer I will attempt to do something unheard of. I am going to put an RB25DET into an Altezza (Lexus IS 300).
LMFAO..... i think its been done. Shoot just searching google for 10secounds theres a rb26 Altezza in one of the descriptions

I love being at car meets and a high school kid walks up and "I want to do something really different" Theres NOTHING wrong with that but I get really turned off and loose all expectations when you can tell it was just a thought and there was no research behind it.

To me when you suggested the RB26 just because CJmartz2k stated it the A4 was awd shows me you really have little to no background knowledge at all at this point.

Now if money is not really a problem just boost a IS300 and make it look really clean, its not unheard of but you have plenty of room to be UNIQUE.

I dont mean to flame at all really. I hope you make a sound decision. I hope to see build thread soon on here even if you dont go RB or nissan...

Some may have doubts...dont take it personally..but new screen names pop up and ask questions like yours and nothing ever comes out of it (even a simple RB 240 swap) so keep us updated and prove the doubts wrong
Modified by silviasgp06 at 11:13 AM 2/9/2010

TablezZ

Update:Did more research and here is what I Have come up with:AltezzaRB26DETTZ06 Transmissionthoughts?

synergy
Car: s14 rb25 s1

Z06 tranny?

You do understand you are not playing with legos here right?

This isnt need for speed underground. You cant just put a tranny and a engine together and call it a day.

That will not work there is no conversion kit it wont fit i bet the shifter position will be all wrong.

You said your a noob and you want to swap a 26 into a is300. Hell a 26 into a s13 which is well documented is hard for even the best back yard mechanics.

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

TablezZ wrote:Update:Did more research and here is what I Have come up with:AltezzaRB26DETTZ06 Transmissionthoughts?
I've been in a pretty bad mood the past couple of days and I just want to say "thank you." You made me laugh hard enough that I had forgotten some of the dumb s*** for a few minutes. You just made it to my signature.

Sil240

Actually the Audi A4 4cyl is a longitudinal mounted engine. Just like the passatt, both FWD and AWD.

If you really wanna do it and you have enough $$ go for it!!It would def be original. Just know you can't follow and write on it.

Plus maybe a VW will actually have a chance at being fast. :-)

Cjmartz2k
Car: Hunting for a '89 GTR now

TablezZ wrote:Update:Did more research and here is what I Have come up with:AltezzaRB26DETTZ06 Transmissionthoughts?
What research pointed you to that combo may I ask?

Sil240

Not 100% sure but I thought he z06 had the tranny in the rear????Including the diff.

WhatsADSM
Car: 1998 240sx

LOL, this thread is hilarious!

The Z06 trans actually had me laughing out loud at work.

How about this? Why go the is300/rb26/z06 route?How about:Toyota MR25.7l Cummins Turbo DieselR35 GTR AWD setup

That will be totally cool and unique. Let me know how it all fits up.

WhatsADSM

Sil240 wrote:Not 100% sure but I thought he z06 had the tranny in the rear????Including the diff.
You thought right.

Sil240

2009 Miata hard top convertible T70 and lyscholm supercharger 4 rotorHKS came and titanium valvesMid engine with a hybrid system from a Prius Evolution X awd with SAWC

That's he next project! !!!!!

car nut
Car: GT500.

PyR0NiAk wrote:
I've been in a pretty bad mood the past couple of days and I just want to say "thank you." You made me laugh hard enough that I had forgotten some of the dumb s*** for a few minutes. You just made it to my signature.
And thank YOU pyroniak. Your sig led me to this comedic goldmine.

OP, with all the knowledge, talent and money you obviously posses, why don't you just build something that is really and truly radical? You could pick parts from everywhere. Bugatti motor, Enzo brakes, Porsche suspension. Stuff it all in a Honda Insight. Ricers wouldn't know what hit 'em right?

This thread is so full of win.

Cjmartz2k

I would like to point out that despite my propensity to jump all over stupid thread made by 17yr old boy ricers reading "Turbo Tuner" or what the hell ever, I was nothing but nice and factual with this dude. I did that because I have cracked on some newbs before and had some actual for real members that have done swaps that are still in their teens/early twenties and have taken offence to my wise cracks. I don't mean to offend them so I'll try to tread more lightly, but..........................

DAMN! DID I CALL THIS IN THE SECOND POST OR WHAT? FREAKING 19YR OLDS WATCHING 2F2F ONE TOO MANY TIMES!! Put the magazine down kid. s***. Seriously, what "research" did you do?

TablezZ

http://www.c-ysports.com/altezza_r.htmlIt has been done b4 and I cant wait to prove you all wong. s***n is too funny. This is happaning. I am still researching but its extemly hard to find info on a project that is extremly rare. RB25 Trans sure but not really going to be the best I think I can find better. Intead of spamming why not help me out with some info. Anywho thanks a lot.

Joe

yea best of luck setting that up.

get your head out of the magazines. you will NEVER do that swap.

l0nestar
Car: 1993 250sx, 2004 Altezza, 1963 Impala SS

Why you would remove a 2JZ from a JCE10 is worlds beyond me.

Sure a GTE swap is common.. why not, it's a proven combo.

Sil240

RB26 into a IS300 no problem, other than a turbo kit on a GE will make more power than a stock RB25.

The problem is in your tranny choice. The Corvette tranny is rear mounted. Meaning engine up front then bell housing then torque tube then transmission and differential unit in back.

Unless you are going to get fuel cell and stick that trans /diff unit back there along with Corvette rear suspension. It's not gonna work.

l0nestar
Car: 1993 250sx, 2004 Altezza, 1963 Impala SS

Sil240 wrote:2009 Miata hard top convertible T70 and lyscholm supercharger 4 rotorHKS came and titanium valvesMid engine with a hybrid system from a Prius Evolution X awd with SAWC

That's he next project! !!!!!
I like where your going with this.. give me a weekend.. might have to overnight some parts from Japan..

Sil240

Haha OK get on it.

Don't forget my Motec exhaust!!!!

If you do I got a barrel of 30 weight, waiting for you. Lolz
l0nestar wrote:
I like where your going with this.. give me a weekend.. might have to overnight some parts from Japan..
f

Cjmartz2k

OP---I'm still waiting to hear what research you did to come up with this awesome combination. Let me guess; "I read RB26's are the tits and the C6 tranny must be really cool since it came in a 'vette!" Am I getting warm?

synergy

The reason everyones cracking on you myself included is because of how you ask or propose your idea. If you had said id like to do a rb25det swap into a is300 but with my power goals i dont think the tranny would hold up what would be another transmission i could put in its place?

People would help you then.

And also you said near the top that you are a "noob" This type of hybrid swap is done by professionals. People who have been doing this for years and years and have complied months and months of research and who have done this swap before.

Ive had my 25 s14 for months now and i still dont get how people do some of the things they do with them.

Try an easy swap first your diving into the end of a very very deep pool.How about an sr into s13 for your first swap?

Cjmartz2k

SR's aren't JDM tight drift spec enough any more. Duh

TablezZ

Firs of all I am not a big fan of American cars. To think of using that trans sucked. The reason i posted it was a question. Sorry about not being clear. I would like to hear what people might think and have to help me out bc I am noob to not swaps but to this swap. SR easy not hard. Been there. RB series I am new too. I love the engine though, so I am learning as much as I can but I have never done a swap using RB. I like the RB better then 2JZ me prefrance. Any suggestion on what trany to use then. Z06 is not going to work it looks like BlaH!

synergy

Why do you want to change the tranny? Give me a good reason why i dont see any reason other than for stright up non daily drag only trailered cars. But i dont know why youd use a is300 for a drag only car. So im guessing its daily use. In which case STAY WITH THE TRANNY!

synergy

TablezZ wrote:Your right. I did not care to much that its AWD but if its easier, what about swaping with a RB26 then? The whole thing is having an RB 25 or 26 in an A4.
That post killed any credability in your knowledge. IF you knew anything about cars you would know how 100% totally different the two AWD systems are. CJ told you its a transversly mounted AWD. You come back by asking if a 26 would be easyer since AWD is already there.... Your nuts. What you just said is like saying can i put a rb26 sideways in a integra gsr and just use the b16 tranny instead.

Cjmartz2k

synergy wrote:What you just said is like saying can i put a rb26 sideways in a integra gsr and just use the b16 tranny instead.
Hmmm, you might have just gave me my next swap idea (except I would use an Audi CVT tranny because using the B16 tranny would just be silly of course )

OP---your best bet at this point is to admit you have done zero actual research, say whoopsy, and start reading the stickies at the top of the page. Once you educate yourself a little bit, come back with some real questions and we (you included) can all have a good laugh about your first few posts on this forum and press forward.

synergy

HAH.

OT CJ stec manifolds still in testing? If so i can be the guinea pig. If not ill buy one anyways. Email me with details I want one uber bad.

Kylegraves1117@yahoo.

Thanks.

WhatsADSM

synergy wrote:... If you had said id like to do a rb25det swap into a is300 but with my power goals i dont think the tranny would hold up what would be another transmission i could put in its place? ...
TablezZ wrote:Firs of all I am not a big fan of American cars. To think of using that trans sucked. The reason i posted it was a question. Sorry about not being clear. I would like to hear what people might think and have to help me out bc I am noob to not swaps but to this swap. SR easy not hard. Been there. RB series I am new too. I love the engine though, so I am learning as much as I can but I have never done a swap using RB. I like the RB better then 2JZ me prefrance. Any suggestion on what trany to use then. Z06 is not going to work it looks like BlaH!
Wow this just keeps getting better and better!

Clearly you have done almost no research and/or just have a lack of automotive knowledge. Now I don't have a problem with that but you came in here with a fairly cocky attitude on top of it. This section in general is pretty aggressive with newcomers and we don't take much s***... So as you can imagine you will need a few layers of fire suit if you keep it up!

Here is a list of crap I have seen:- Removing the 2Jz to replace it with a RB25?! The original motor is just fine and it will make more power more reliably for less money than swapping in the RB.- The RB26+Z06 trans. With the "proof" being a picture of an altezza with an RB26 swapped into it. To be honest I don't even know where to start with this one. Sil240 already explained why it wont work. But to be honest I think if I showed my wife a picture of the underpinnings of a Z06 and an is300 she could explain why the legos wouldn't fit.- The Rb25 trans being crappy and not being able to "hold up" to your sweet swap. Where is this research you did again?- American cars being crappy, but wanting the z06 trans. The z06 transmission setup is fantastic (for a c5 or c6 chassis). In fact the entire c5 or c6 package is great. I'll bet I could take a base C6 vet throw in a few thousand in bolt ons and destroy almost any wet dream hybrid you could come up with.- You having all this swap knowledge... Really? You act like you are connecting legos together to make a car. That's not the way it works, and just about anyone that has done a reasonably complex swap will tell you that.

... So with that said. If money is really no object and you have a hard on for japanese cars. Buy an off-the-shelf R35. It will be easily more performance than you would need, get you all the attention you want, give you some ability to modify, and hold its value fairly well.
Modified by WhatsADSM at 4:02 PM 2/17/2010

TablezZ

Well this is just awful. I dudnt want to come off cocky. Ok earlier post were stupid. Got excited and threw ideas out there kool. Heres what i wanna do: put RB26DET in IS300. Thats all. I was reading that yes the 25 trans is good but not achieve full potential that the engine can offer. True false? Idk hey instead of trying to say how stupid i am how about educating me then. Im just saying if you can help then help. What r u suggesting be a good trans with the RB26DETT?

WhatsADSM

TablezZ wrote:Well this is just awful. I dudnt want to come off cocky. Ok earlier post were stupid. Got excited and threw ideas out there kool. Heres what i wanna do: put RB26DET in IS300. Thats all. I was reading that yes the 25 trans is good but not achieve full potential that the engine can offer. True false? Idk hey instead of trying to say how stupid i am how about educating me then. Im just saying if you can help then help. What r u suggesting be a good trans with the RB26DETT?
The RB25 trans is fine. It typically holds more power than most will put down, and the gearing is pretty decent to boot. There are plenty of people running over 500whp reliably with it.

If you are good at fabricating there are other options, including a TH400, but in general the RB25 is the cheapest, easiest and most effective option.

Also swapping a RB26 bellhousing onto the Z32 transmission tail is a cheap way to get essentially the same thing as an RB25 transmission with a slightly different shifter position (which of course if it was truly going into a is300 all bets are off on shifter position and you will likely need to fab something up).

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”