RB20DET vs RB25DET vs RB26DETT FAQ

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
Death By Thrash Metal
Car: Well, i am a liar so it doesnt matter

uber95 wrote:
He posts EVERYWHERE on EVERY topic. Throw him to the lions for polluting NICO with B.S.

Modified by uber95 at 11:44 AM 9/11/2007
You know that there has been 4 recorded swaps... they were hosted on tripod.nets all in s14s.And also if you consider the fact that i COULD PAY SOMONE TO DO IT FOR ME FOR THAT KIND OF $$$$.Dont forget they already have swapped a supercharged version into a 350z so dont be a giant d!ck...I love how uber hardly contributes anything and openly bashes me. Gimme proof of my "bull****" and i will gladly remove it from the thread (S). i should c*** slap you uber. maybe i was talking about a 350z titan swap? HMM.....

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Ignore him, I am talking to you. I believe I asked you a question.Maybe you have an overwhelming need for attention that manifests itself in trying to convince people you know what you are talking about.You are a young kid who does not know very much. That alone is not a bad thing but when you continuously show your face in threads purporting to know more than you do it becomes a a problem. I doubt you could pop the hood on your daddy's car without the owner's manual so please cease the charade. I can overlook the repeated attitude you display towards others who obviously know something, that's easily handled. What concerns me is another person who knows very little might not recognize you are full of it and mistake your blind speculations for fact and act based upon them.

Death By Thrash Metal

themadscientist wrote:Ignore him, I am talking to you. I believe I asked you a question.Maybe you have an overwhelming need for attention that manifests itself in trying to convince people you know what you are talking about.You are a young kid who does not know very much. That alone is not a bad thing but when you continuously show your face in threads purporting to know more than you do it becomes a a problem. I doubt you could pop the hood on your daddy's car without the owner's manual so please cease the charade. I can overlook the repeated attitude you display towards others who obviously know something, that's easily handled. What concerns me is another person who knows very little might not recognize you are full of it and mistake your blind speculations for fact and act based upon them.
you know what? i think your right! Maybe i should just stfu and never post again haw? Ok i think i will do that.at this point i just rather shutup than try and stand up for myself when i know you will just bann me so okie dokie.And if you didnt expect attitude from somone named "Death By Thrash Metal" then honestly you are retarted.Im getting my *** outa here so i can still read the forums.oh and fyi i found out about that 350z titan swap ON THIS FORUM. it was at sema in a white convertible with a horrid looking roll cage. no more comment but you should know that existed considering your a moderator.~peace out~

uber95
Car: S14

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

I don't want you to STFU. I just want you to stop acting like a know it all who lashes out when people justifiably call him on it.If you feel you will be unable to spam the forums with sillyness then I respect your decision. If, and I hope you really understand I am dead serious. If you can lose the attitude and contribute constructively as best as you can you would be an asset here and I would sincerely hope you do that.

Death By Thrash Metal

themadscientist wrote:I don't want you to STFU. I just want you to stop acting like a know it all who lashes out when people justifiably call him on it.If you feel you will be unable to spam the forums with sillyness then I respect your decision. If, and I hope you really understand I am dead serious. If you can lose the attitude and contribute constructively as best as you can you would be an asset here and I would sincerely hope you do that.
email me with your msn if u got it... i think we should talk somewhere where i wont be spamming the threads... this weekend i should b very free.Any way i never intended to know it all... thats just kinda how i write, in your face, like "metal up your ***" style.anyway, by the looks of what my mom says it will b 4 ever b4 i get my swap done, she doesnt want me working on any car bcuz i cant use the garage and the carport has a family of rattle snakes hanging out according to my neighbor who found a dead baby one her cat dragged in.Now is the best time to influence me on rb26 vs rb25... im kinda stuck... i do want to be able to switch fuel mapping and boost for tons of hp on occasion (like piggyback style press 1 button 4 ecu and 1 for boost). I just love that immense kick in the *** feeling of a turbo 6.... Oh and 4 rb26 single vs tt? i realize that tt is better on track but would it be worth buying a new manifold and turbos and ic when for similar money you could get a bb single? ive done some searching and im not super familiar with turbos by model number...

nissans13240sx
Car: 90 R32 GTR
91 Hatch SR20
93 Coupe KA-T
04 STI

anybody have torque numbers for rb20. from what im finding SR has more torque then RB. please someone proove me wrong

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

SR20 makes 203 ft/lbs @ 4000rpmRB20 makes 195 ft/lbs @ 3200rpm

nissans13240sx
Car: 90 R32 GTR
91 Hatch SR20
93 Coupe KA-T
04 STI

so torque peaks at 3200 on RB20? that kinda sucks but oh well

TanManS14
Car: 1995 240sx

eh? wrote:Right because machine work is free You can almost buy an RB25 for the cost of rebuilding an KA-T.

Lol dude, that short block is fully machined, and the options you can get to balance are way under 4 grand. The stock valvtrain is fine as long as you have a decent condition head. And not to mention you can do all this while having awesome availablity for parts.. im not bashing on rb's im looking at this thread cause of my curiousity, I have respect for every motor, not just my own. You should try it.

eh?

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Go ahead and spend 4k on a built bottom end with a stock top end.

speedfrommc2
Car: 1993 S13 180sx super hicas

ok im gettin a r34 rb26dett with the all wheel drive tranny for my 93 s13 hatch .now the shop doing the swap says since i have the awd tranny they can make my s13 awd i just want to know if any of u guys think its worth it and how much different it would handel

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

just to let you know how much work and money and parts it takes to make your S-Chassis AWD, check out Full Race's R14.

Now tell me if your spending upwards around that number? If so, and you still believe its something you want to do, then I say hell, its going to be a killer car. Would I do it for that kind of money? No thanks.

Either your shop doesn't know what they are getting themselves into or your going to be paying out the butt.

Easiest way is to just get yourself a RB25 tranny and stay RWD and call it a day.

nikko123
Car: Skyline R32 GTS4

Hello all I am new to the forum but no noobie I just avoid forums because I see questions like how much is a Skyline and it turns into a your momma session about what stuff costs. LETS ANSWER PEOPLES QUESTIONS WITHOUT REDIRECTING THEM TO OUR PREFRENCE PLEASE. THANKS

I keep hearing whats better the RB20,25 or 26

The assumption is the 26 right?Not true. you can use a Rb30 bottom end with a 25 head and have a GTR beat...

The truth is a motor is all prefrence. CA people like the fact that there motor is a classic motor with not alot of attention. Sr people like part availability. RB people like something new.

Heres my own personal spin take it or leave it.

RB20det ( I HAVE ONE )Tomei Cams 640.00HKS pro Con 300.00 on ebayGTR fuel pump 6000 yen ie 55.00N1 Oil pump 338.00Precision Turbo T/4 650.00Duetchwerks Injectors 660cc 338.00OS GIKEN Twin plate= Freinds GTR 300 bucks

Total HP just shy of 500 about 487hp but I cant find a damn AWD Dyno so it was done with the relay pulled.

I would say the RB20det motor is a good buy for those who dont want more than 480hp on a stock motor IT CAN TAKE IT...

RB25detMore parts 600Hp capable although people in the U.S have failed to get it there without fear of relaibility but since the motor here is 400bucks all day they play hard.... IT CAN TAKE IT

Rb26dettLots of small issues but overall a good platform for some raw power. The issues are oil starvation issues and cooling problems. Its hard to tune them right... But it can be done.

Sr well I am Biased so I wont mention that motor.

CA I love the CA

But seriously a 180/240 is a light car and easily turned side ways. A real drifter will tell u in this car you dont need more than 350hp to spin the wheels if you kick it around at 500hp you will lose your car on the straighten out.

But do what you please.The RB20det swap DOES NOT EFFECT THE WEIGHT OF THE S chassis since it only weights about 140pounds more than a Ka so imagine a passenger in the car. I rather have an RB because from what I have seen Sr guys in Japan spend more time turning wrenches than tires.

The RB is a Stout motor. But know this WHEN THEY BREAK THE BREAK HARD!!! you dont have to pamper it but you do have to realize its not indistructable but one motor here in Japan thats in my eyes better than any RB is the 1JZ motor but hey to each his own.

There is an RB20det here on a stock bottom end pushing 647whp and he is my tuner lol.

Any questions hit me up... BTW you dont need to buy Mckinneys mount kit Get a cross member I am in Japan for another 6 months hit me up and we can work a deal.

ca18datsun510
Car: bmw 330i zhp, 91 infiniti m30, 89 240sx, 07 zx6r, 05 trx450r

Kamin wrote:all engines are "blueprinted" thats the list of specifications found in any service manual that is used when the engine is assembled.
can we edit this out? cause its not true.

blue printing is when each individual bearing is sized, as opposed to when they just throw in a set of off the shelf bearings.

its when each combustion chamber is cc'ed to be the same, down to the minute detail.

etc.

going by factory standards is not blueprinting.

eh?

ca18datsun510 wrote:
can we edit this out? cause its not true.

blue printing is when each individual bearing is sized, as opposed to when they just throw in a set of off the shelf bearings.

its when each combustion chamber is cc'ed to be the same, down to the minute detail.

etc.

going by factory standards is not blueprinting.
Um the bearings, rods and pistons are individualy sized.

uber95

Sure they are, as in 10 over, 10 under etc. What he means is putting a mic on EACH INDIVIDUAL bearing, or specing out each individual piece part, Think of taking a pack of say 20 conrod bearings and going through each pack and only using the ones that spec out within say .001 of each other. That's what he's talking about, ultra precise rebuilding.

eh?

uber95 wrote:Sure they are, as in 10 over, 10 under etc. What he means is putting a mic on EACH INDIVIDUAL bearing, or specing out each individual piece part, Think of taking a pack of say 20 conrod bearings and going through each pack and only using the ones that spec out within say .001 of each other. That's what he's talking about, ultra precise rebuilding.
Have you rebuilt an RB before? or any nissan engine for that matter. THEY ARE GRADED. Grades (aka measurements) are stamped on the block crank rods and pistons. There isn't ONE standard bearing size. IE: Nissan doesn't use one bearing size for all the crank, mains, rods, and they don't use one piston size.. They use multiple bearing sizes and multiple pistons sizes. If the engine wasn't blueprinted how could they grade each?

It doesn't matter if it's not precision down to .001" Nissan still "blue-printed" them. They just don't stuff pistons and rods into each block.

And FYI Nissan does down to .0005" on some graded parts. And's that is way more precise than you or most machine shops can duplicate. Tempurature will affect measurments down at that level.

Yes I have rebuilt RB's and yes I did mic them myself down to .001"
Modified by eh? at 5:53 PM 10/29/2007

uber95

Wow dude. I was just explaining the principal, no need to get wacked out off yer meds about it. Sorry if I don't have your level of mechanical expertise in the Nissan world. You obviously are the resident expert, maybe if you would have brought that knowledge to the foreground I would not have made the assumption that you may have been unfamiliar with the term blueprinting and it's meaning. The comment of
eh? wrote:Um the bearings, rods and pistons are individualy sized
is rather open ended and generic. Individual bearings, both mains and rods as well as individual cylinders are capable of being sized as individual pieces. I.E. one bore that's out of spec and gets a replacement piston. More detail and less ire

shally2186
Car: S14.5

sweet topic by the way...I have a RB20DET with a bigger fuel system all together and a upgraded RB25 TURBO...pretty much have it made..few points that maybe have already been said..SR CAN make as much power and have less money for a tune up.2 LESS spark plugs and everything else..i never really understood the whole intake issue with the RB20DET,im plannin on changing that anyways....----NEED MORE TOPICS LIKE THIS----

Sukairain R-33
Car: Silverstone Metallic '93 Mazda Rx-7

I'd like to clear up some miss-information:

Any swap can be made legal. Some states only require the sniffer, some states not even that. If your hood never gets lifted you could stuff a powerstroke diesel in your s-chassis so long as it smells like roses the state doesn't care.

Superstreet even did an article:http://www.superstreetonline.c....html

I'll omit most of my opinion but i will say from what i've read in many different sources. RB > KA

computergamer12

go for RB26DETT!!!!!

Cameron
Car: a 240

computergamer12 wrote:go for RB26DETT!!!!!
LOL fanboys...

ca18datsun510
Car: bmw 330i zhp, 91 infiniti m30, 89 240sx, 07 zx6r, 05 trx450r

eh? wrote:
Have you rebuilt an RB before? or any nissan engine for that matter. THEY ARE GRADED. Grades (aka measurements) are stamped on the block crank rods and pistons. There isn't ONE standard bearing size. IE: Nissan doesn't use one bearing size for all the crank, mains, rods, and they don't use one piston size.. They use multiple bearing sizes and multiple pistons sizes. If the engine wasn't blueprinted how could they grade each?

It doesn't matter if it's not precision down to .001" Nissan still "blue-printed" them. They just don't stuff pistons and rods into each block.

And FYI Nissan does down to .0005" on some graded parts. And's that is way more precise than you or most machine shops can duplicate. Tempurature will affect measurments down at that level.

Yes I have rebuilt RB's and yes I did mic them myself down to .001"

Modified by eh? at 5:53 PM 10/29/2007
yeah thats all fine and dandy. but still not right.

blue printing is not sizing the bearing to the engine.

its sized the bearings to each journal, to each individual rod, etc.

mmm240
Car: 95 Nissan 240SX KADE-T
94 Toyota Pickup
91 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
03 Toyota Matrix XR

nissans13240sx wrote:so torque peaks at 3200 on RB20? that kinda sucks but oh well
What's your definition of suck? That's a damn good number

eh?

ca18datsun510 wrote:
yeah thats all fine and dandy. but still not right.

blue printing is not sizing the bearing to the engine.

its sized the bearings to each journal, to each individual rod, etc.
Did you not understand what I wrote? Open up a FSM then.

Geppeto818
Car: Nissan 240sx S13

Does anyone know the weight difference between > a SR20DET and the RB20DET ? I have searched with no result.

the owl

nice informational post man

240sxrule
Car: 240sx

OK please tell me this what would be the best engine for a drifting 240sx

im thinking rb26 but most people say its to big and should be drag im not sure what i what to do though is get an rb26 with a 5 speed tranny

what is the better drifting engine of the rb series?

240sxrule
Car: 240sx

what should i get for a drifting 240sx?

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”