RB Engine Coil Retrofit

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
klh6686
Car: '92 FB stock daily
'90 FB w/ RB20
'92 FB w/ VH45

Hey guys, i see that a number are asking about the buick coil retrofit. I have done this swap and can only provide my experience with it. I run this daily on my RB20 w/ a RB25 turbo at around .9 bar with ZERO missfire running BCPR7ES plugs @ .8 gap. The coil i used is AC DELCO part # D552. This is the stock coilpack that a buick GN turbo uses and those guys run 9's on it. However, this coil pack also comes on other buicks! This is important because if you are lucky, you can find them on ebay for <$20 shipped!!! You will have to run wires and figure out how to mount the coil pack as there really isn't anywhere to put it since our brake lines run across the firewall. I also recommend a set of the cut-to-fit spark plug wires. You will be required to BUTCHER your stock coil harness! Anyways on to the details:

Quote »Instructions: RB20/25/26 - Engines with an igniter

The set of instructions that follow are a cheap and easy to do alternative to replacing the standard Nissan RB20/25/26 coils.

Now that you have removed the igniter to coil loom you can start by sorting out which parts of the loom

are need and which parts which include all the individual coil plugs can be disposed of

before making any cuts to the loom its self study it, note the black loop which is also included in cylinder 1 (this is for timing lights) and the earth wire ring, both the timing wire and ground are black, the rest are all colored, pink being the main color, when looking at the seven pin-plug with the locking clip towards you right to left is Ground, cylinder 6, cylinder 5, cylinder 4, cylinder 3, cylinder 2, cylinder 1. cylinder 1 is also connected to the timing wire

You will notice that, coming out of the three pin-plug is a slightly larger white wire this is the power wire to power the coil this needs to be connected to either the top three tabs on the coil or the bottom three tabs whichever you chose the cylinder 6, cylinder 5, cylinder 4, cylinder 3, cylinder 2, cylinder 1 wires will then be connected to the opposing three tabs on the coil

Now that you have connected the white power wire to the top or bottom three tabs on the coil you can now start to connect the cylinder wires the first of which being cylinder 6 & 1, cylinder 1 wire is also connected to the timing wire so the first coil will have cylinder 1 & 6 connected to it plus the timing wire which comes from the three pin-plug

Now you can connect cylinder 5 & 2 wires, connect these wires to the center coil, or wherever you want just as long as you remember which coils have which wires connected to them

after connecting cylinder 1 & 6 +the timing wire and cylinder 5 & 2 you are now left with one coil to connect the remaining wires being 3 & 4

all tabs are now filled, 3 power feeds top or bottom, and the 6 cylinder wires + the 1 timing wire which are the ones that have the pulses sent down then to trigger the spark

to make it a little easier and to make sure you don't forget mark the top of the coils with the appropriate names being, 1&6, 2&5, 3&4

Double check everything and make sure that you have not used the timing wire as an earth or that it is not earth anywhere, the only earth you should have has a big ring on the end of it

Find somewhere to mount your new coil pack, somewhere away from heat and following the labels you have marked on the top of the coils plug in the leads with the appropriate cylinder, cylinder 1 being the cylinder closest to the front of the car and 2, 3, 4, 5, to 6 right at the back. make sure you purchase the right length leads as you don't want to put any strain on them or have them rub on anything

Finally check that everything is connected and start your engine and with any luck it'll start[/quote]Use this diagram to help you.

Disclaimer: If you fail at electrical work DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS! I am not responsible for your wrong doings, do so at your own risk. This has worked for me but i cannot gaurantee anything for anyone else!

Search Terms:RB20 RB20DET RB25 RB25DET RB26 RB26DETT Buick pontiac coil coilpack pack coilpacks coils packs ignitor ignition fix missfire missing miss

Ref: dsd.co.nz
Modified by klh6686 at 10:35 PM 2/20/2007

BoostFab
Car: S13cp, S13fb, S14z

my new setup will be using this coilhttp://store.summitracing.com/...w=sku

klh6686
'90 FB w/ RB20
'92 FB w/ VH45

I recommend the part number i quoted, like i said buick GN turbo guys are in the 9's on some serious boost with that coil that comes stock on their car. Purchase what you choose.

RB_Dreamin

couple questions..

what is the point in taking a step back in time/technology with a wasted spark/plug wire system?

is the spark that much stronger than the stock coils?

i could see this being an "alternative" if you cannot find a suitable stock coil replacement, but is this an upgrade?

further, is it necessary to upgrade the ignition for running mild upgrades? i.e. < 400 rwhp?

RB_Dreamin

klh6686 wrote:I recommend the part number i quoted, like i said buick GN turbo guys are in the 9's on some serious boost with that coil that comes stock on their car. Purchase what you choose.
damn, if they run 9's, wtf am i waiting for....

order placed!!!

klh6686
'90 FB w/ RB20
'92 FB w/ VH45

RB_Dreamin wrote:couple questions..

what is the point in taking a step back in time/technology with a wasted spark/plug wire system?

i could see this being an "alternative" if you cannot find a suitable stock coil replacement, but is this an upgrade?

further, is it necessary to upgrade the ignition for running mild upgrades? i.e. < 400 rwhp?
The only reason to do this mod is if you are having problems with the stock ones and don't want to spend upwards of $500 on splitfire coils and don't want to spend upwards of $50 per stock coil to have it mess up down the road. I am not claiming any performance upgrade, i'm just stating that it works as good if not better than stock. I had to coils crap out on me so instead of locating used stock coils at $50 each that would probably do the same thing, let alone the other 4 i still had i just went this route with all new hardware and it has worked perfectly for me ever since.

BoostFab

RB_Dreamin wrote:couple questions..

this setup a cheaper alternative to the Splitfire coils. these coils put out more currrent than the stock coils, so i would say this is an upgrade. very simple to set up. also i believe separting the coil from high heat area helps in performance.
klh6686 wrote:I recommend the part number i quoted, like i said buick GN turbo guys are in the 9's on some serious boost with that coil that comes stock on their car. Purchase what you choose.
the coil i posted above is an aftermarket version of the GN's and it's higher quality than the ACDELCO. buy what you want

the_momo
Car: 1997 VW Golf K2 (His)/ 2001 Black Lexus IS300 (Hers)

sticky! this is great info.

matafied
Car: 1989 240 rb25det 1992 240 rb25det

Bought mine yesterday, 43.00 at a local auto parts

RB_Dreamin

SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

according to klh6686, you'll be in the 9's before you know it!

Joe

RB_Dreamin wrote:SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

according to klh6686, you'll be in the 9's before you know it!
dude...no. stop the stupid comments.

POOPmouth
Car: The Devils pimp ride

matafied wrote:Bought mine yesterday, 43.00 at a local auto parts
hey matafied- do u have more picture s of the coil conversion avil- would love to see- waiting on check to replace all mine as well-- - - - Dam cops got me for DUI - so gay- - = - - - pictures plz to [email protected] ----or post for the would be great - thankssweet info KLh6686 --

rudedrift
Car: 240sx

got any pics of the finished product?

matafied

working on it, just got done with my bracket, only took about 30 min to make

rudedrift
Car: 240sx

freakin awesome!on my last rb car i had the boost cranked up enough to blow out spark. i wasnt tryin to buy mega buck ignition.yeahhhhh

keep us posted

POOPmouth

AWSOME - cant wait for the complet write up about it- - also thanks for the pictures- braket looks good - and gauge pod holder too

mugengsr
Car: SKYLINE GTS-T TYPE-M

i did the same thing but using the accel upgraded version of the gnx coil and taylor 8.5mm wires : ) awsome setup and no more heatsink problems that will!! happen to splitfires eventualy...

Carl H
Car: 1995 240SX SE RB30DET

if the coils are vented then the problem of them cracking is less likely to appear...another way to fix breakup at high rpm is to fit an uprated alternator, std rb20 cannot cope with efans well and therefor there is a large power drain on the car over all.going from a 80a alternator to a 110a alternator on my car actualy effed up the tune because the fuel pump was getting proper voltage.we've fitted a few of these uprated alternators to cars and they have solved all sorts of problems from poor drivability due to lack of alt. power to breakup at high rpms due to less than 12v going to the coils.

mello88
Car: s13

Good info on the coil upgrade.

CarlH, are you using the Quest 110a alt?

Carl H
Car: 1995 240SX SE RB30DET

yes.

Spazz

hate to bring up an old thread , but please scuse my newbness, i would still need the ignitor or a retrofitted j30 for this conversion?

-hows the write up coming along?

BoostFab

Spazz wrote: i would still need the ignitor or a retrofitted j30 for this conversion?-hows the write up coming along?
yes, the igniter is required. the first post contains the crude version of the writeup, but how simpler do you want?

Spazz

really damn simple lol, im one of those people who hates doing things twice...

USMCgetsome
Car: OWN S13.5 RB25DET/2003 G35

any new pics of full install of this setup. I'm getting ready to buy all the parts and install.

POOPmouth

any finished install pictures for viewing

matafied

Well I haven’t had a chance to fully test this yet, but I will today. I traded my 94 civic for my cousins 90 240 with rb25det that I swapped in.so ive been busy with that, but I just finished it today, im trying to post the pics but im having trouble with iserve

BoostFab

matafied wrote:Well I haven’t had a chance to fully test this yet, but I will today. I traded my 94 civic for my cousins 90 240 with rb25det that I swapped in.so ive been busy with that, but I just finished it today, im trying to post the pics but im having trouble with iserve
a civic traded for a rb25 240, wow great deal, why don't i see deal like these often? oh wait, i don't have a civic to use for a trade... damn it

matafied

well here are some links for now

http://is.rely.net/3-117-5221-...Q.jpg

http://is.rely.net/3-117-5220-...w.jpg

http://is.rely.net/3-117-5219-...g.jpg

http://is.rely.net/3-117-5218-...w.jpg

here is some pics of the civic i traded for the 240

http://is.rely.net/3-117-5222-...A.jpg

http://is.rely.net/3-117-5223-...Q.jpg

let me know if the links work ok, so i can post the pics of the finished and installed product

midnightsliding

was up matafied, im from kernersville NC.. and your links work just fine. your set up looks great. might be in touch with you if i go this route.

Sil240

Nice!!!!That's awesome.Looks stock all wrapped up like that.

Let us know how it works!!!If any of my coils go, I'm definetly going to upgrade.

This should be added to the RB Parts sticky!!!!!

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”