Random Scientific Facts

For discussions pertaining to science and engineering and science-related topics.
User avatar
Gold Digger
Posts: 7343
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:48 pm
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X
2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby Gold Digger » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:18 am

Encryptshun wrote:Random scientific fact:

An object at rest cannot be stopped.

Image

Would that be due to the fact that since the Earth is always in motion, all objects which are a part of the planet be it alive or inanimate are also in motion and never truly at rest?


User avatar
Encryptshun
Posts: 11525
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:48 am
Car: 2005 Xterra
Location: Outside Chicago
Contact:

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby Encryptshun » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:25 am

C-Kwik wrote:
Encryptshun wrote:Random scientific fact:

An object at rest cannot be stopped.

Image
The psuedophilosophical response is then, is any object ever truly at rest? :cool:

That is the Evil Midnight b0mber What Bombs At Midnight.

Therefore, your argument is invalid. ;)

User avatar
nissangirl74
Moderator
Posts: 14381
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:15 pm
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby nissangirl74 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:42 pm

If you laid all of the bronchials in the lungs out flat in a single layer, there would be enough to cover an entire tennis court.

User avatar
s0m3th1ngAZ
Posts: 3858
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:11 am
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby s0m3th1ngAZ » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:37 am

It's possible to be allergic to cold. Cold urticaria. I know because I had it when I was younger. Mainly triggered when I jumped into cold water. Was so bad one time at a lake that I blacked out. Doesn't happen anymore though...which is weird.
Also...Photic sneeze reflex affects about 20% of the population. It's when you sneeze when looking at bright lights. Nobody knows why.

User avatar
asoomal
Posts: 2370
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:45 pm
Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L 5MT (Daily)
1992 Nissan 240SX SE 5MT w/HICAS (Being restored)
Location: Canada

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby asoomal » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:53 pm

I'm a sun sneezer, don't know if that counts.

User avatar
nissangirl74
Moderator
Posts: 14381
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:15 pm
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby nissangirl74 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:11 pm

Scientists can't prove why we yawn or why it seems to be "contagious".

User avatar
Encryptshun
Posts: 11525
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:48 am
Car: 2005 Xterra
Location: Outside Chicago
Contact:

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby Encryptshun » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:07 am

I thought that studies in both the human and lower-animal kingdom had shown yawning to be a part of transition between metabolic states? Alert/relaxed, active/inactive, wakeful/sleepy, excited/bored.

No?

User avatar
nissangirl74
Moderator
Posts: 14381
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:15 pm
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby nissangirl74 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:16 am

Scientists have not been able to effectively test because they haven't found a specific way to deliberately MAKE someone yawn. It's also interesting that the experiment "if you yawn, it will trigger other people who see it to yawn too" has a new found twist. If you are in the room with someone who yawns, you are more likely to yawn yourself, even if you don't see them.

User avatar
szh
Posts: 18858
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2002 12:54 pm
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby szh » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:57 pm

nissangirl74 wrote:Scientists have not been able to effectively test because they haven't found a specific way to deliberately MAKE someone yawn. It's also interesting that the experiment "if you yawn, it will trigger other people who see it to yawn too" has a new found twist. If you are in the room with someone who yawns, you are more likely to yawn yourself, even if you don't see them.
There was a Mythbusters episode on this contagion yawning thing: http://www.yourdiscovery.com/video/myth ... ontagious/ :chuckle:

Z

User avatar
nissangirl74
Moderator
Posts: 14381
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:15 pm
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby nissangirl74 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:50 pm

On average, an adult will shed 100 million intestinal cells per minute.

User avatar
300ZXttZMAN
Posts: 7807
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:07 pm
Car: 1990 300zx Twin Turbo 5 spd pearl white.

My Daily: 2008 Frontier NISMO package, 4x4 Crew Cab.
Location: Sulphur, LA 70665
Contact:

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby 300ZXttZMAN » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:42 am

Gold Digger wrote:
Encryptshun wrote:Random scientific fact:

An object at rest cannot be stopped.

Image

Would that be due to the fact that since the Earth is always in motion, all objects which are a part of the planet be it alive or inanimate are also in motion and never truly at rest?
Or because all atoms are always moving.... Hmmm :gotme


(we need a head scratch smiley)

User avatar
nissangirl74
Moderator
Posts: 14381
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:15 pm
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby nissangirl74 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:29 pm

There is more bacteria in the colon than there are cells in the entire human body. Think about that the next time your date acts like her s*** doesn't stink. :rotfl

Rognine
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:03 pm

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby Rognine » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:59 pm

If you took a complete strand of DNA out of a single human cell, untwisted it and stretched it out, it would be about 2 meters long.

User avatar
alms24sebring
Posts: 7332
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:18 am
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV
Location: Alexandria VA

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby alms24sebring » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:48 pm

Gold Digger wrote: And did you know that while peeing, if men sneeze it stops the flow of urine?
Its also some of the worst pain a man will experience.

You beat me to the mythbusters yawning experiment. Animals also seem to yawn when people do.

My Bio teacher was saying that there is always atleast 3-5 lbs of bacteria in your GI tract.

User avatar
nissangirl74
Moderator
Posts: 14381
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:15 pm
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby nissangirl74 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:19 am

When a flea jumps, the rate of acceleration is more than 20 times that of a space shuttle during launch.

User avatar
Encryptshun
Posts: 11525
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:48 am
Car: 2005 Xterra
Location: Outside Chicago
Contact:

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby Encryptshun » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:41 am

nissangirl74 wrote:When a flea jumps, the rate of acceleration is more than 20 times that of a space shuttle during launch.
Think about THAT the next time your date complains about the lack of foreplay.

User avatar
AppleBonker
Posts: 17313
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:40 am
Car: Useful: 2011 Black Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Daily: 2003 Accord EX-L Coupe
Hers: 2014 Rogue SL AWD
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby AppleBonker » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:48 am

I prefer dates who don't have fleas, thank you very much.

User avatar
Encryptshun
Posts: 11525
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:48 am
Car: 2005 Xterra
Location: Outside Chicago
Contact:

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby Encryptshun » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:02 am

Don't impose your stuffed-shirt standards on us, Adam, thankyouverymuch.

User avatar
szh
Posts: 18858
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2002 12:54 pm
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby szh » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:03 pm

AppleBonker wrote:I prefer dates who don't have fleas, thank you very much.
:bowrofl: :lolling:

Z

User avatar
Razi
Posts: 28681
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:52 am
Car: Moo

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby Razi » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:37 pm

Some random culture bound syndromes I learned from an old class in Anthropology.

Magic Death is a syndrome in Australian Aborigines, where they are afraid that their soul has been stolen (via witchcraft), then they die in 3 days. Sometimes a shaman will offer to help them get their soul back, but for a price.

Windigo Psychosis is a syndrome in the Algonquian Indian culture of Canada, a bad hunter fears that he will be possessed by the Windigo, and when he does end up getting "possessed" by teh Windigo, he ends up seeing his family as game animals and starts hunting them.

Amok is one from Malaysia, the male goes around destroying his worldly possessions and could end up killing his family. Also where the term "running amok" comes from, and we might call this "going postal".

Some of you may know about PMS and Anorexia being culturally bound to Western civilizations only. Although, recently we've been spreading these to other cultures where they didn't have it before. Yay!

User avatar
AZhitman
Administrator
Posts: 71007
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:04 am
Car: 58 L210, 70 240Z, 75 240Z RB25, 63 Bluebird RHD, 63 NL320, 67 WRL411, 67 SPL311, 68 510 SR, 77 620 SR20, 79 210, 92 SE-R, 97 D21, 98 S14, 12 Titan 4x4.
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby AZhitman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:57 pm

Encryptshun wrote:Don't impose your stuffed-shirt standards on us, Adam, thankyouverymuch.
:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

User avatar
nissangirl74
Moderator
Posts: 14381
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:15 pm
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby nissangirl74 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:50 pm

Ondine's Curse

In German Legend, there was a water nymph named Ondine who took a mortal lover. When her lover proved unfaithful, the king of the nymphs put a curse on him that took away his automatic physiological functions. Consequently, he had to remember to breathe. He could not go to sleep or he would die of suffocation - which eventually did happen. Some people suffer a disorder called Ondine's Curse, in which the automatic respiratory functions are disabled - usually as a result of brainstem damage from poliomyelitis or as an accident of neurosurgery. Victims of Ondine's curse must remember to take each breath and cannot go to sleep without the aid of a mechanical ventilator.

F'realz. :ohno:

User avatar
Encryptshun
Posts: 11525
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:48 am
Car: 2005 Xterra
Location: Outside Chicago
Contact:

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby Encryptshun » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:26 am

...and some people want to do away with mandatory polio vaccinations.

User avatar
nissangirl74
Moderator
Posts: 14381
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:15 pm
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby nissangirl74 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:07 am

Your kidneys filter 50 gallons of blood every day.

Yeah, I know it isn't a spectacular fact, but it's what I am studying in Biology at the moment. We are also studying the male reproductive system but I figured you guys have that pretty well figured out by now. :chuckle:

User avatar
AZhitman
Administrator
Posts: 71007
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:04 am
Car: 58 L210, 70 240Z, 75 240Z RB25, 63 Bluebird RHD, 63 NL320, 67 WRL411, 67 SPL311, 68 510 SR, 77 620 SR20, 79 210, 92 SE-R, 97 D21, 98 S14, 12 Titan 4x4.
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby AZhitman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:16 am

^ ...and with that, I'm off to make non-babies. :naughty:

Night, all!

User avatar
alms24sebring
Posts: 7332
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:18 am
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV
Location: Alexandria VA

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby alms24sebring » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:52 am

^ video tape it

As you get closer to the speed of light, the object gets shorter while the observer gets longer, physically. It is also the same for time. The object experienced shorter time to the observer. Mind blown..

User avatar
C-Kwik
Moderator
Posts: 9086
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:28 pm
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby C-Kwik » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:30 pm

alms24sebring wrote:^ video tape it

As you get closer to the speed of light, the object gets shorter while the observer gets longer, physically. It is also the same for time. The object experienced shorter time to the observer. Mind blown..
Yep. We generally don't deal with stuff that requires that we care too much about it, but turns out GPS satellites have a very small correction factor to keep relativistic effects in check. I can't really grasp the stuff even with some education in it. I don't know how Einstein and others who helped push these discoveries along did what they do. Life is too distracting to think that hard about...ooh shiny...

User avatar
szh
Posts: 18858
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2002 12:54 pm
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby szh » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:48 pm

alms24sebring wrote:As you get closer to the speed of light, the object gets shorter while the observer gets longer, physically. It is also the same for time. The object experienced shorter time to the observer. Mind blown..
And, the mass gets larger and larger ... at full light speed, math says "object would have infinite mass".

Which is why the current physics theories do not allow exceeding the speed of light in conventional ways - can't give infinite mass any further acceleration, no matter how hard you push. :chuckle:

Z

User avatar
Encryptshun
Posts: 11525
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:48 am
Car: 2005 Xterra
Location: Outside Chicago
Contact:

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby Encryptshun » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:52 am

szh wrote:
alms24sebring wrote:As you get closer, the object gets shorter while the observer gets longer, physically. It is also the same for time. The object experienced shorter time to the observer. Mind blown..
And, the mass gets larger and larger, math says "object would have infinite mass".

Which is why the current physics theories do not allow infinite mass any further acceleration, no matter how hard you push. :chuckle:

Z
Wait, are we talking about the male reproductive system again?

User avatar
C-Kwik
Moderator
Posts: 9086
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:28 pm
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Re: Random Scientific Facts

Postby C-Kwik » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:26 am

Encryptshun wrote:
Wait, are we talking about the male reproductive system again?
She wishes... ;)


Return to “Science!”