R35 GT-R Engine!

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

YamaOni wrote:Me a moron, You got me there! But I will say that the new skyline GTR is not going to be the street killer you think it is and the fact that it will be even slower and more tuned down when it hits the states it might as well be a GTST.

The same way they tuned down the 350 when they brought it here?:rolleyes

There is no gentleman's agreement on hp in North America, and with the price tag it will carry it will need to compete with slightly more expensive cars (think Carrera, SVT, Saleens, and other things in the 60-75k range)

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

You are right on the money there. If the R does come to America the smart people will wait about 3 years for Nissan to get the idea that stangs, vettes and vipers don't roll over for an "R" badge and they start turnin up the wick on whatever they do put in the car.

YamaOni
Car: Making big rocks smaller

There is no longer a gentleman's agreement here in Japan, And as far as the 350 goes I have no interest on the Z cars after the S130, so I will leave that alone. But other car makers have sent the punk spec to the states, the wrx is tuned down. It might have to do with emission regulation. If Nissan will do it with the new GTR, they might not. I think the will send the punk one to the states if they send it to the states at all.

LarryStooge

YamaOni wrote:Me a moron, You got me there! But I will say that the new skyline GTR is not going to be the street killer you think it is and the fact that it will be even slower and more tuned down when it hits the states it might as well be a GTST.

As far as not knowing what I am talking about, I drive past a Nissan Dealership every week (IN JAPAN) and pick up most of the magazines I see on Nissan cars (IN JAPAN) and The New GTR is still under development. 4WD with a V8 sounds good but where will the front diff go and the drive shafts to hubs go? There is not much room under the hood of the R35, Not to say that they wont redesign, they might. They might stick the RB26 in there! Why not?

As far as being a Stupid FU**You dont know me or what I do, I miss read your post but I got the impression that you were saying that the GTR was not a Skyline, It is and the new GTR when it comes out it will be a Skyline GTR here in JAPAN.

And I would like to extend an invitation to you, if you want to come see and drive "THE GTR" before everyone in America, You can crash at my apartment. Just bring your International Driving Permit, A toothbrush and your cash.

dude, nissan officials already announced that the skyline GTR was dead, hence the last special "NUR Spec" version. The new GTR will not be a skyline product, Nissan OFFICIALS stated that last year. They stated that the market for the skyline in other states would be cut in half because alot of people still see it as being a corn box with performance, and theyd rather own a corvette because of it. Whether you like these people or not (I dont personally like their outlook on the skylines), nissan knows that they have money and if theres a purpose built GTR, theyll buy it. They want the name, the skyline name in america wont be nearly as huge if they bring it over, because people want what they cant have. Alot of porsche, viper, nsx, corvette guys, that wouldnt buy the current one because they like true purpose built cars, will buy the new GTR because it will be purpose built, and there wont be lesser models running around owned by half the planet. Like the new Pontiac GTO, that cars looks are going to do it in, it's bland as hell and looks like a regular car, alot of people like sleepers, but the people shelling out the money want the looks too.

As far as the comment about the skyline and silvia, I'm still really pissed we don't have the S15 and won't get the S16 (if there ever is one). The s15 silvia was in my opinion, the only true purpose built car by nissan in the last couple years (until now with the 350z) because of its drivetrain and weight, theres no grocery getter models in japan (that I know of), like the skyline has, or the old z32 had. Personally, the reason I'm not piling money in my 240 is because it doesn't have that pizaz that purpose built cars have. It's REAL damn close, but not quite there. Like civics, my buddy has a civic he paid $5k for, its a 93 hatch with a b16a1, he put his old b18c1 in it (crashed that car, lol). He paid dirt money for that car and it's fast as hell, probably the fastest NA car I've ever been in (I havent been in very many NA cars htough, lol). I'd love the car because it gets great gas mileage, great insurance, cheap to maintain, etc. But when it comes down to it, when you'r done, you know you just piled god only knows how much money, into a civic. A car made for mothers getting grocerys (open the hatch and youll see that was the intention).

LarryStooge

APEXi240 wrote:The same way they tuned down the 350 when they brought it here?:rolleyes

There is no gentleman's agreement on hp in North America, and with the price tag it will carry it will need to compete with slightly more expensive cars (think Carrera, SVT, Saleens, and other things in the 60-75k range)

the GTR we get is supposed to be in the 50k range, not 60-65k. That puts the saleens out of the picture, as well as vipers. The carrera isnt in the same picture because it wont compete with the GTR, only the TT will, the carrera is a joke as far as im concerned, id rather have a boxter s. the svt is no competition either, runs 13s and wont nail much better since it has the independent rear suspension, which isnt good for drag. The new supercharged version is pretty fast, but Ive heard horror stories about its abilities. The only thing I see competing with it is the Vette and the new NSX we get in a year or 2.

APEXi240

YamaOni wrote:But other car makers have sent the punk spec to the states, the wrx is tuned down. It might have to do with emission regulation. If Nissan will do it with the new GTR, they might not. I think the will send the punk one to the states if they send it to the states at all.

What does the WRX in Japan? In the US we simply do not have the STi, until next year...

There has already been a statement that the GT-R will go out to "new" markets...I would think the US would be considered a significant untapped market.

Steph, I was referring to the 60-75k range because the car will significantly outperform cars in a slightly higher price range.

And you'd rather own a Boxster S than a Carrera? You are nuts.

LarryStooge

APEXi240 wrote:And you'd rather own a Boxster S than a Carrera? You are nuts.

nope, the carrera is a lesser car than the boxter s, just comes with the 911 badge, so it sells for more. The carrera 4 is another issue. The carrera was supposed to be a higher model than the boxter and s model, but the boxter ended up being an even better frame and design than the current 911, according to RUF, I trust their judgement greatly.

APEXi240

Ruf equipped carrera in connecticut puttin over 400 at the wheels.

I'm sorry but the 350 is a far superior car to the Boxster. For less money.

LarryStooge

APEXi240 wrote:Ruf equipped carrera in connecticut puttin over 400 at the wheels.

I'm sorry but the 350 is a far superior car to the Boxster. For less money.

350z? if thats what your talking about, Im with you on that too, but only because its a coupe and not a convertible.

Speeddoctor
Car: Nissans, Infinitis, datsuns, motorsickles,
NICO founder April 22, 2000

Almost all Nissan's are bulletproof! That is why most of us are here. The VQ V-6 series has dominated endurance racing for the last two years in the Rolex and ALMS endurance series in the sports racing second tier class. One of the team owners said that in over 30 years of racing, (in europe and the USA),he had never had an engine so reliable and strong. He has raced everything.Will the concept be as sexy or as exotic as V-8, no, but V-8s are bigger and heavier....and the RB would be great, but Using the VQ as the basis for racing engines that could be stroked from 2.5 liters to 4 liters, makes for a more viable motorsports program in that parts and tech dev. goes easier and costs less when everything for differenr classes and forms of racing can be derived from one platform. (eg group buy on racing crankshafts etc. ) SD :)

themadscientist

well i have seen an R34 in a magazine with a twin turbo VQ35 and it looked very nice. I am willing to give it a chance, I still prefer the simplicity of an inline six though.

Speeddoctor
Car: Nissans, Infinitis, datsuns, motorsickles,
NICO founder April 22, 2000

Hey, can you tell me what magazine the R34 with the VQ was in? I would love to see it! SD :D

themadscientist

I think it was option. I have the feburary edition in front of me and here we have a 350Z with a twin turbo kit by powers (not austin baby), very sanitary install. They also have a pic of the Greddy 350 at the SEMA show with twin hairdryers. I am not fond of the way the new Z looks but i do like the direction they went with it. Zs had been getting heavy and gadgety, they should be turbo from the factory though.All this will trickle down to the Infiniti G35 which should make stateside guys happy.

meggala

I'm a skyline fan and owner but I am very atrracted to the 350 z and if I had the funds I would buy one new they look great and the lines are a nice change unlike the 4 door new model skyline

any way some pics from TAS 2003 I belive the trade day

when you look at it and the model designation you can see its not trying to be anything else.cheersmeggala

JZK316

Those are nice. The new Z is nice.

wokuku

Hey Ezcheese15 are you sure they are going to use the VQ35DETT? Because I read last month's Option Magazine and they said the GTR will have a VQ33DETT (Using VQ30 head and VQ35 block...or the other way around) with electric assist turbos (similar to what Toyota is developing right now for their next Supra)

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

wokuku wrote:Hey Ezcheese15 are you sure they are going to use the VQ35DETT? Because I read last month's Option Magazine and they said the GTR will have a VQ33DETT (Using VQ30 head and VQ35 block...or the other way around) with electric assist turbos (similar to what Toyota is developing right now for their next Supra)

Yeah I don't know. VQ33 seems to be the new rumor. I don't remember where I saw the VQ35 posted, but wherever it was, it claimed it was official info. Who knows.

ZERO
Car: AE86 GTS Liftback

Dude...don't get Porsches involved in this, much less RUFs. I have driven 2 (R3400, Turbo R). They might be more expensive, but they sure as hell are worth it. Not only that, but you get more prestige in a Porsche than you ever will in a GTR (not bashing). I am a Nissan fan and I would love to see what is in store for the Skylines, but I have loved Porsches since I was 3. Always have and always will be a big Porsche fan

ZERO

Cant say I have been in a Skyline to compare, but if I'm lucky I will soon enough be.

spec-u-later
Car: Yaris...FML

I was under the impression that the G35 coup is just a 350 with a back seat. We have no skyline here or a GTR. Unless somebody slipped one by without telling anyone. I'll just take an STI thank you.:ylsuper

themadscientist

Infiniti G35 is the Skyline. Enjoy:puke

spec-u-later

So then your saying the 350z is a Skyline as well because the G35 coup is the same car with a back seat.

themadscientist

no it's the same basic structure under the skin but a Z is a Z and a Skyline is a Skyline. The same way the S13 Silvia and RS13 180SX share almost the same unibody.

dmora

EZcheese15 wrote:I personally have never heard of anybody blowing up a VQ motor.
I personally have never heard anyone building a VQ to make 1200hp either.:thinker

spec-u-later

Ok so where is the JDM Skyline that is simmilar to the g35?

themadscientist

The G35 is a Skyline with the steering wheel on the left and Infiniti badges on it. that's the only difference, same ugly-*** car, different name:pface

click the linkhttp://history.jbskyline.net/index5.php#11thgen

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Hey mad, have you seen the may 15th issue of uh....well, I don't know the name of the magazine, cuz it's in japanese....

But on the front cover, it has a blue Skyline coupe, with a red 350Z behind it, and a black skyline sedan in the very back. It also has an FX45 on the bottom right corner, and a 350z roadster in the upper right.

Anyway, not sure if this mag is still on the bookshelfs, but it has some really good comparisons between the V35 skyline and Z33 350Z. I picked it up when I was over there a couple weeks ago.

spec-u-later

Huh that sucks. Well at least there is still the (concept) GT-R... I hope.:naughty

ZERO

dmora wrote:I personally have never heard anyone building a VQ to make 1200hp either.:thinker

the engine is relatively new...give it some time for the aftermarket to take it under its wing. Stillen already has a twin turbo kit for the 350Z. the engine is relatively new to the performance arena I wouldn't be surprised it within the next couple of years we hear of VQ35s with that ammount of HP.

surferbrat72
Car: i like to surf and golf and am growing a liking to paintball

i understand that the engine is pretty good but it just flat out isnt a GTR any more it is more like a GTV which is just messed up if you ask me because the skylines always get a R-series engine

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”